Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/dbrandSkins/status/740002167008956417?s=09

Dbrand is such a card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Oh yeah, there are things Siri sucks at too. "Okay Google, what is Draymond Green's number?" gives me 23 while Siri can't even recognize his name. I was just impressed with being able to refer to my last action with a pronoun and have everything work.
Gruber posted about that, and naturally got tons of tweets from people who it worked fine for. I tried and it works for me, so who knows:
https://twitter.com/rt_licious/status/733391277002227712/photo/1

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Thermopyle posted:

I believe voice activation is hardware-based...at the very least if the screen is off. This is probably greatly dependent upon mic, CPU/voice-recognition-hardware, and environment. This method uses much simpler pattern matching to recognize the key phrase.

In other words, Google isn't involved.

Not that this info helps, really...but it's an explanation.

I'd say that's probably the case for the times when it just doesn't register it all. But there are times when it immediately reacts to the command, beeps, wakes up, and displays the little voice command panel, so the voice activation has clearly worked, but then when you speak you can tell it's not listening because the little bars that react to your voice aren't moving. Then, after a few seconds, it'll either tell you it didn't catch what you said, or it'll search for the word Google. Those are by far the most annoying times, and that appears to be software to me. I could be wrong though.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Endless Mike posted:

Gruber posted about that, and naturally got tons of tweets from people who it worked fine for. I tried and it works for me, so who knows:
https://twitter.com/rt_licious/status/733391277002227712/photo/1

Is the difference here perhaps the fact that they specified 'jersey number' and not just 'number'?

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

chippy posted:

Is the difference here perhaps the fact that they specified 'jersey number' and not just 'number'?

That's what I was thinking.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

chippy posted:

Maybe, but it all goes back to Sundar Pichai's keynote, and Gruber, at least, quotes him as saying "jersey" which he wasn't able to get to work with Siri. (I'm not going to search through the entire keynote to see if that was accurately quoted or not.)

I will also grant that it's entirely possible Apple quickly adjusted the Siri servers for that specific search before people got around to trying it en masse.

That said:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

While we're talking about voice stuff, I will say I've been impressed with Siri's ability to parse natural language stuff that Google just can't do. For instance, "Hey Siri, set an alarm for 7 am" (confirmation) "Siri, change that to 8 am" and it was properly done.

It's weird seeing how both Google and Siri are good at different things.

Google is pretty good at this sort of thing, just not that specific task.

"How old is Dennis Rodman? "

"How tall is he?"

"What is the weather like today?"

"What about tomorrow? "

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yeah it is pretty good at that stuff generally. I frequently use stuff like "OK google, remind me to X at work tomorrow" and the reminder will pop up literally as I walk through the door the next morning.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

Google is pretty good at this sort of thing, just not that specific task.
More generally, Google is good at understanding search requests. Doing things locally on your device and interacting with other apps is a lot more limited, partly because Android is just a lot more flexible with regards to which apps you do/don't have installed so everything has to have well-defined APIs to support this stuff. Apple just know that their clock app works.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

chippy posted:

Yeah it is pretty good at that stuff generally. I frequently use stuff like "OK google, remind me to X at work tomorrow" and the reminder will pop up literally as I walk through the door the next morning.

Yeah, location based reminders are the best. I use it for stuff at the grocery store, Lowes, home, work (haha, I work from home! ), all over the place.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, location based reminders are the best. I use it for stuff at the grocery store, Lowes, home, work (haha, I work from home! ), all over the place.

So, I could say, "Ok Google, remind me I need eggs when I get to Stop N Shop" and it would remind me as soon as I pulled in the lot?" I might need to start doing that

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Mogomra posted:

My wife's old iPhone 4s and current 6 both puts "grandparents" at the end of everything we'd try to say to Siri. Like at least 80% of the time. It's the weirdest thing.

This is just Siri's versious of adding "in bed" to the end of every fortune cookie.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Is there a way to change reminder notifications? I often set reminders and then never see them because they only seem to appear in calendar rather than standard notifications.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

XIII posted:

This is just Siri's versious of adding "in bed" to the end of every fortune cookie.

"Siri, you can never finish what you start."

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Tunga posted:

More generally, Google is good at understanding search requests. Doing things locally on your device and interacting with other apps is a lot more limited, partly because Android is just a lot more flexible with regards to which apps you do/don't have installed so everything has to have well-defined APIs to support this stuff. Apple just know that their clock app works.

Fwiw, I have had no trouble with 'set an alarm for X' or, 'set a timer for Y minutes' on mine, that works great. I don't think the follow up 'actually change that to Z' would work, because Google Now doesn't seem so good at follow-on contextual stuff, although Google Assistant is meant to improve on that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mogomra posted:

"Siri, you can never finish what you start."

She said "OK"

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

TenaciousTomato posted:

So, I could say, "Ok Google, remind me I need eggs when I get to Stop N Shop" and it would remind me as soon as I pulled in the lot?" I might need to start doing that

Yeah, that's exactly how it works.

chippy posted:

Fwiw, I have had no trouble with 'set an alarm for X' or, 'set a timer for Y minutes' on mine, that works great. I don't think the follow up 'actually change that to Z' would work, because Google Now doesn't seem so good at follow-on contextual stuff, although Google Assistant is meant to improve on that.

Ehh, as I just said up above, Google is actually pretty good at follow up contextual stuff. As Tunga brings up, there's just not an API for App X to reach into alarm apps and say "hey, the last alarm I, App X, set...well forget that and change it to this".

Here's what actually happens in the change-alarm-time scenario:

"OK Google, set alarm for 7 AM".

(confirmation)

"OK Google, change that to 8 AM".

(confirmation for 8AM alarm)

The problem is that the 7AM alarm doesn't get deleted.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Hmm, you're right, that did work. I have two issues with that though.

The first is that I'm using the stock Clock app on a Nexus 6P, the most vanilla and up to date Android experience you can get, so I don't see why it can't delete the previous alarm. In fact, if I say 'cancel my 8am alarm' I'm presented with a list of my current alarms so I can choose one to be cancelled. Which is a poo poo experience since I told it which alarm to cancel but, that aside, proves that there is an API there for deleting alarms, which makes it all the more silly that the 'change that to 9am' command doesn't work properly.

The second is that I tried it before I made my previous post and it didn't work, presumably because I used slightly different wording. It only worked when I used the exact wording you mentioned in the post. Which to me, moves things out of the realm of 'natural language processing' and into 'recognising key phrases when used exactly' which isn't really the same thing.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

I can't get "remind me when I get home" to work cause Google's idea of my address is on the right property but too far from the driveway/building I actually go in to trigger. Any way to say "use the actual spot where I'm standing right now as home"?

e: weird, tested it again after posting this and got it to trigger but it was delayed a few minutes after I actually got home

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 7, 2016

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

TenaciousTomato posted:

Yes it's goddamn amazing.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chippy posted:

In fact, if I say 'cancel my 8am alarm' I'm presented with a list of my current alarms so I can choose one to be cancelled. Which is a poo poo experience since I told it which alarm to cancel but, that aside, proves that there is an API there for deleting alarms, which makes it all the more silly that the 'change that to 9am' command doesn't work properly.
This pretty much proves that the API cannot delete specific alarms by time, only by id/index.

Again, the limitation is that Google (rightly) believe that these systems should have open APIs that any app can support, but this means defining them and building them into an Android release and so on.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
My favourite thing is when I pull out of work's car park, end up in nose-to-tail traffic, and have a reminder helpfully pop up twenty minutes after setting off: 'heavier traffic than usual on the route home'. This is despite how it knows where I live and where I work, it knows when I leave for the day and route I usually take, and it knows the ebb and flow of traffic (live AND historical).

Big Data: mostly bollocks, fantastic if you want to know what the weather will be like tomorrow. Assuming you don't arbitrarily get a web search result instead.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

spincube posted:

My favourite thing is when I pull out of work's car park, end up in nose-to-tail traffic, and have a reminder helpfully pop up twenty minutes after setting off: 'heavier traffic than usual on the route home'.

I use the Yahoo weather app (because it's pretty, not because it's good). I'll routinely get notifications that "rain possible in the next 15 minutes" after hours of downpour.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Tunga posted:

This pretty much proves that the API cannot delete specific alarms by time, only by id/index.

Again, the limitation is that Google (rightly) believe that these systems should have open APIs that any app can support, but this means defining them and building them into an Android release and so on.

Hmm yeah, fair point, maybe it does.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
It's still poo poo though. If the command ('change that to 9am') doesn't work as expected, I'd argue that acting like it's worked and half-arsing it is worse than just not supporting it at all. I'd be well annoyed if I got woken up early by an alarm I thought I'd cancelled.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TenaciousTomato posted:

Yeah it's been a really cool feature on smartphones since about 2013. You should try it.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yeah it's been a really cool feature on smartphones since about 2013. You should try it.

Generally, I only "OK Google" if I'm in the car and need hands-free directions. I still make lists either on paper or ColorNote. I also use the same alarm every day of the week save for Sunday :D

Boy I can't wait till if I don't proclaim my entire life to my phone I won't be able to function

edit: too late

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 7, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TenaciousTomato posted:

Boy I can't wait till if I don't proclaim my entire life to my phone I won't be able to function

On the one hand, yes, this sucks. Until I broke my phone and was without any phone at all for four days I had no idea just how much of my life depends on my phone. If Google disappeared tomorrow I'd be less functional than an 8 year old. On top of that, everything that isn't phone dependent is certainly internet dependent.

It's ridiculous how much I've come to rely on the internet being with me to the point that I'm not sure how I did anything prior to having it and worse, I'm old enough to have been an adult before the internet.

spincube posted:

My favourite thing is when I pull out of work's car park, end up in nose-to-tail traffic, and have a reminder helpfully pop up twenty minutes after setting off: 'heavier traffic than usual on the route home'. This is despite how it knows where I live and where I work, it knows when I leave for the day and route I usually take, and it knows the ebb and flow of traffic (live AND historical).

Big Data: mostly bollocks, fantastic if you want to know what the weather will be like tomorrow. Assuming you don't arbitrarily get a web search result instead.

That's really weird to me because the heavy traffic warning has always been stellar in my usage. To me it's the best Google Now feature even if it's rare that I see it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

TenaciousTomato posted:

I also use the same alarm every day of the week save for Sunday :D

I still use the electronic alarm clock I bought in 2004. It automatically turns off on the weekends and has a switch I can flip for daylight savings time and has never not woken me up.

My parents use a windup clock with bells on top as their alarm. :3:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

LastInLine posted:

On the one hand, yes, this sucks. Until I broke my phone and was without any phone at all for four days I had no idea just how much of my life depends on my phone. If Google disappeared tomorrow I'd be less functional than an 8 year old. On top of that, everything that isn't phone dependent is certainly internet dependent.

I was okay for a few days when I broke my phone, but I at least had my tablet on me for the odd Internet search. It's a good thing I never became dependent on GPS as I was in an unfamiliar town, but was still able to navigate around as needed.

The biggest hurdle was losing SMS and Authenticator and not being able to use PCs to log into things like my Gmail and Amazon accounts.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

It's ridiculous how much I've come to rely on the internet being with me to the point that I'm not sure how I did anything prior to having it and worse, I'm old enough to have been an adult before the internet.

That's really weird to me because the heavy traffic warning has always been stellar in my usage. To me it's the best Google Now feature even if it's rare that I see it.

I'm looking for an empty lot to build a new house on and my parents and in-laws are just bewildered at how fuckin' important it is to me that the new location has a high quality internet connection.

Like, if the developer tells me "it's coming", or if someone on the phone at Charter says "sure you can get it", that's not enough. I need to see neighbors with internet and get it in writing from the ISP that it's available.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

That's the first question I ask when we look at a house (not actively looking, but keeping an eye out). Is it Charter or Comcast?

If it's Comcast, I'll think twice about it because they're just so lovely to deal with, and Charter has been a dream since we moved here 14 years ago.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

So...is it not actually possible to disable Wifi calling? I turned it off in the Phone app settings and in Hangouts on my 5X, but whenever I make a phone call it signs into hangouts and uses wifi anyway.

Evidently, the phone has to sign into hangouts to use wifi calling at all, and since I don't generally have any particular need of it and don't want to be signed into Hangouts all the time, I'd rather just turn it on as needed.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I forgot about Now on Tap, but this AP article reminded me about it...and it looks like I'll use it all the time!

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/06/07/now-taps-image-recognition-becoming-google-goggles-always-wanted/

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm fairly confident you'll continue to forget it exists like the rest of us

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Hulk Krogan posted:

So...is it not actually possible to disable Wifi calling? I turned it off in the Phone app settings and in Hangouts on my 5X, but whenever I make a phone call it signs into hangouts and uses wifi anyway.

Evidently, the phone has to sign into hangouts to use wifi calling at all, and since I don't generally have any particular need of it and don't want to be signed into Hangouts all the time, I'd rather just turn it on as needed.

This doesn't sound right. I use WiFi calling on my 6P and it just uses the dialler, you just make calls like normal and it routes them over WiFi if it can/needs to. I never use hangouts.

I'm not sure a hangouts VoIP call is the same thing as a native WiFi call. It sounds like doing that might have got set as your default action when you try and call someone, or something.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
They deprecated the <4.0 Menu button because although it was functional, nobody knew how to activate it, nobody knew what it did, and nobody could figure out how to say 'attention user: in this context, you can use this to achieve [...]'.

I think someone at Google's just got a hard-on for what's basically a right-click, and can't see the forest for the trees.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
So I'm trying to connect my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 to my PC running Windows 10. I plug the tablet into the USB port, the tablet beeps and starts charging, but my PC doesn't seem to recognise there's anything connected. The tablet doesn't show up as a storage device or anything, and I've checked I've got MTP mode activated. Anyone got any ideas as to why this might be/how to fix it?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

More pointless voice recognition anecdotes; We did an app that would allow people to shop on our ecommerce website on a tablet using only their voice, heavily anchored to Google Speech Recognition API. The project was eventually turfed due to lack of interest from retail partners, but what amazed us at the time was how good the speech recognition was. We tested English, Ukrainian, Russian, and Hebrew, and it all went off crazy good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

chippy posted:

This doesn't sound right. I use WiFi calling on my 6P and it just uses the dialler, you just make calls like normal and it routes them over WiFi if it can/needs to. I never use hangouts.

I'm not sure a hangouts VoIP call is the same thing as a native WiFi call. It sounds like doing that might have got set as your default action when you try and call someone, or something.

That's what Project Fi support told me :shrug:. I contacted them saying that Hangouts keeps logging itself in and that it seemed like maybe it was happening after I made a call, and they said that the phone has to login to Hangouts even if I make calls from the dialer app. I just got the phone a few weeks ago and haven't made any calls through Hangouts at all.

I'll give them a buzz again tonight about this new issue - was just wondering if anyone else had run into it.