Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

In Training posted:

I've played through XIII twice and I think every single time I paradigm shifted into auto battle I didn't stop hitting X through every attack animation even though I know it doesn't do anything. For like 80 hours of my life at this point probably

Same except once, but I enjoyed 12 also. Maybe I just have low standards. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Barudak posted:

If you don't use friend sphere or some other gimmick to have Yuna travel along Lulus path you're just flat out missing out. It doesn't hurt that Yuna also has an overdrive worth a drat. There's a reason she got replaced with Paine in the sequel

Yuna does more than enough damage with aeons. I never saw the need for anything else.

Also I'd much rather have Lulu in X-2. Even if her arsenal consisted of healing the enemy, it still would be preferable to X-2 Rikku. Pretty sure the only reason Lulu wasn't included in the sequel is because she's basically a senior citizen compared to the teen girl trio.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
For my first run, Lulu was definitely starting to fall off by the time I reached Mt. Gagazet (and by that I mean the physical team were doing about the same damage as an -aga spell), as someone who meticulously makes sure that every party-member is tagged in for any fight with meaningful AP awarded. But then she got Magic Booster cactuar and Doublecast at the same time and suddenly she's throwing out ~2x8000 damage every turn which is far more than anyone else could at that point, except Bahamut's overdrive - the other characters can do 9999 on occasion but regular attacks tend to be more around ~6k. Even if you level slower the cactuar should let her keep up until you're far enough into the end-game sidequest stuff to get break damage limit on multiple characters.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Yuna does more than enough damage with aeons. I never saw the need for anything else.

Also I'd much rather have Lulu in X-2. Even if her arsenal consisted of healing the enemy, it still would be preferable to X-2 Rikku. Pretty sure the only reason Lulu wasn't included in the sequel is because she's basically a senior citizen compared to the teen girl trio.

Rikku earns her place in X-2 for her battle quotes alone.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

World of Final Fantasy English trailer, getting a worldwide release, October 25th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4Gz7BislTw

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

World of Final Fantasy English trailer, getting a worldwide release, October 25th.

What a weird selection of characters. Like, someone said Shelke was in this game and I was like "yeah right." I myself couldn't really tell. But wiki confirmed she's in it along with Refia. I mean, Refia was my fave FFIII character so yay?

Just weird.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NikkolasKing posted:

What a weird selection of characters. Like, someone said Shelke was in this game and I was like "yeah right." I myself couldn't really tell. But wiki confirmed she's in it along with Refia. I mean, Refia was my fave FFIII character so yay?

Just weird.

Well, you couldn't put really obscure characters in something flashy like Dissidia, so maybe it's a chance to feature something more obscure in a kind of limited format?

That said, this game looks relentlessly cute and I can't help but want it because I am weak, I am a slave to Squaresoft and always will be.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm glad they haven't buried DIRGE OF CERBERUS

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Well, you couldn't put really obscure characters in something flashy like Dissidia, so maybe it's a chance to feature something more obscure in a kind of limited format?

I guess that makes sense but obvious choices like Yuna, Cloud, Lightning, etc. are there too. I guess they just wanted to mix it up, which is fine by me. I'm intrigued so the trailer did its job.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

NikkolasKing posted:

Just weird.
Ha ha we all know you made both those names up.

...seriously, they must be from 2 or 3, I have no clue who either of them are.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Ha ha we all know you made both those names up.

...seriously, they must be from 2 or 3, I have no clue who either of them are.

Shelke the Transparent is a secondary character from infamous Final Fantasy VII spinoff Dirge of Cerberus. She's voiced by Kari Wahlgren and wields lightsabers.

Refia is from the FFIII remake. She's one of the four-person playable cast.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 7, 2016

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

This looks so relentlessly stupid I can't help being interested. I might pick it up for the Vita.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

Refia is from the FFIII remake. She's one of the four-person playable cast.

It was a joke because those guys have less personality and presence than any other named FF cast.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I can't wait to romp around with my buddies Chibi Cactuar and Squall :3:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The battle system summary makes it more fun to play than most of the ffs

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

How Rude posted:

I can't wait to romp around with my buddies Chibi Cactuar and Squall :3:

Hopefully Quistis has retained her ability to completely ruin enemies with her broke rear end limits.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tae posted:

Wow, a tech demo plays worse than a fully complete game with years in development, imagine that

I'm almost definitely going to make that same post at some point after I've played XV and just replace Platinum Demo with XV.

Especially if we consider that the Plat demo was made primarily to play just like the final game will and the implication that LR was years, plural, in development seems optimistic.

Accept Lightning in your heart.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 7, 2016

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

I thought there would just be monsters and FF characters as summons, I didn't know they'd be NPC - now I want that game all the more, it'll be good. Too bad they (as far as I can tell) can't leave the chibi mode like the protagonist can, but I can live with that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's hosed up that when that guys turns small to dodge the attack and then returns to his normal form

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm Squall in that trailer

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

d-dual audio tracks announced? D:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No, you'll get the good Squall voice and you'll like it.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Baal posted:

No, you'll get the good Squall voice and you'll like it.

the ff10 vas being back almost pulls me

also is that a loving onion knight of dark instead of light

and faris and celes ff
and the weird dumb stacking mechanic with the two modes for the main characters
fff

this looks so hilariously dumb and altogether amazing at the same time

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm so happy for Shelke

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Baal posted:

I'm so happy for Shelke

:colbert: Call me when we pull Phoebe or Tristan tho

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Saying "but you can play FF12 manually!" is useless because the game was made taking the automation into account. Enemies are gigantic sacks of HP and no one would make it out of the first five hours of the game without gambits if they had to inpout every attack.

NikkolasKing posted:

I mainly hate Necron now because of his mechanics. "Necron" only has one or maybe two moves, everything else is some invisible, unbeatable enemy which means Necron can get three or four turns in a row?? I'll never forget getting nailed with Grand Cross and Meteor back-to-back.

Necron has an amount of ATB bars corresponding to your number of living party members. In the base game they all have a certain part of his moveset they use, #1 mostly spams Blue Shockwave.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Guys, did you hear the best FF ever made is getting a PS4 remaster? I've been waiting for this for several years now.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Dang, that's some serious tonal dissonance going on with the goofy chibi sprites spouting all those serious-sounding lines completely straight-faced.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Tonfa posted:

Saying "but you can play FF12 manually!" is useless because the game was made taking the automation into account. Enemies are gigantic sacks of HP and no one would make it out of the first five hours of the game without gambits if they had to inpout every attack.

Necron has an amount of ATB bars corresponding to your number of living party members. In the base game they all have a certain part of his moveset they use, #1 mostly spams Blue Shockwave.

I'm not sure where you're getting that from, since it's the first I've heard of it. He just seems to get multiple actions as the fight goes on and Grand Cross has RNG into it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

WaltherFeng posted:

Guys, did you hear the best FF ever made is getting a PS4 remaster? I've been waiting for this for several years now.

Yeah I'm p excited for the XIII remaster too

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

WaltherFeng posted:

FF 10 has been out on PS4 for quite a while now, yes

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

i am tim! posted:

Dang, that's some serious tonal dissonance going on with the goofy chibi sprites spouting all those serious-sounding lines completely straight-faced.

In a world where Kingdom Hearts exists this is nothing. But yeah S-E needs to hire different writers.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

WaltherFeng posted:

it's coming out on Sept 30

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Tonfa posted:

First I'm hearing of this. I thought he just got multiple turns.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Tonfa posted:

I think the people who want this just like having that option just exist to make them feel more justified, rather than actually serving any real gameplay use or purpose (which again, while sometimes you you'll probably do manual commands, FF12 is largely automated). Like worrying about items in your inventory to save for the one day you'll use them even though 90% chance a typical player isn't going to abuse those items anyways. Most people would much rather have those items there anyways rather than the game simply not have items.

I don't think the complaints about FF12 should really be that it's automated really, but rather it's just boring automation than a system that uses automation for convenience to balance out the rest of the gameplay decisions the player should make.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

This game literally looks like "what if Dissidia was an RPG." People who have actually played Dissidia will assuredly agree with me.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
You wouldn't play the game without any automation, that'd be dumb as hell, but manual inputs are useful for one off commands that aren't worth setting up a gambit for.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

As stated FF12s problem is the automation isn't really replaced with anything. Boss battles aren't enough of a puzzle to require strategy overhauls for the most part and random encounters are constant and are mostly sacks of health so going nuclear in a given encounter is typically not an option. Had the game either had more variations in enemy types and their responses requiring better gambit management or other mechanics to make you change gambit setups regularly it'd have been much better. As it is 90 percent of your gameplay is moving the thumbstick.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Chibi Final Fantasy just reminds me of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PyApTrRxtc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Barudak posted:

As stated FF12s problem is the automation isn't really replaced with anything. Boss battles aren't enough of a puzzle to require strategy overhauls for the most part and random encounters are constant and are mostly sacks of health so going nuclear in a given encounter is typically not an option. Had the game either had more variations in enemy types and their responses requiring better gambit management or other mechanics to make you change gambit setups regularly it'd have been much better. As it is 90 percent of your gameplay is moving the thumbstick.

If XII comes to PC, I'd be interested to see if someone makes a gameplay balance mod at some point. Make it so Gambits can take care of the most repetitive tasks, but you can't use them as a crutch and have to engage with the combat.