Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Abu Dave posted:

Huh maybe ill do that, used to my old HTC One which would drain so fast with bluetooth

Yeah, current gen Bluetooth chips can run on a watch battery for 11 months at a time. Turning it off causes the screen to use more power than the chip would use in many hours or days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
On the topic of security, there's some rumblings that Teamviewer might have been compromised in a big way lately. Are there any other quick and easy ways for remoting in to my home PC? I could always set up a VPN at home and just use Microsoft's RDP app, but I'm not really sure how much running a VPN would compromise my home network even further!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Question Mark Mound posted:

On the topic of security, there's some rumblings that Teamviewer might have been compromised in a big way lately. Are there any other quick and easy ways for remoting in to my home PC? I could always set up a VPN at home and just use Microsoft's RDP app, but I'm not really sure how much running a VPN would compromise my home network even further!

VNC does have occasional security flaws identified, but if you install software that is updated often and change the port to a non-standard port, you’re probably reasonably safe.

RDP is more secure than VNC, I think.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chrome's remote desktop extension is really effective. I don't know about how secure it is, nor why they decided to integrate such a tool into a web browser, but it Just Works(tm).

For iOS it's a separate app and I have no major complaints with its use.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

xzzy posted:

Chrome's remote desktop extension is really effective. I don't know about how secure it is, nor why they decided to integrate such a tool into a web browser, but it Just Works(tm).

For iOS it's a separate app and I have no major complaints with its use.

Google is big on web apps that function like previously on-device software. I personally don't love the paradigm and contradictions but whatever.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

i have been using VNC for years on my iMac without an issue. I would maintain my plex server using my iPhone when I was out of the country and now with the iPad it's awesome.

I haven't tried other ones to know if there is something better but I'm happy with my experience.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the best meditation app u goons use

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

My LastPass sub is about to run out, is it worth switching to 1Password? It seems like it might play nicer with iOS/OSX devices, and I am not big on the UX for LastPass, but I don't have any experience with it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

IuniusBrutus posted:

My LastPass sub is about to run out, is it worth switching to 1Password? It seems like it might play nicer with iOS/OSX devices, and I am not big on the UX for LastPass, but I don't have any experience with it.

No. You'll have to buy a license for every device you own. It'll take years to recoup that cost. It's the opposite of "worth it" since they have nearly identical functionality.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

IuniusBrutus posted:

I kept LastPass.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

tuyop posted:

No. You'll have to buy a license for every device you own. It'll take years to recoup that cost. It's the opposite of "worth it" since they have nearly identical functionality.

1Password has a subscription plan now as 1Password for Families, for what it's worth. You get access to all the apps. Not sure how the pricing compares to LastPass.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

IuniusBrutus posted:

I've used both, and I didn't renew Lastpass this year. 1Password does, in fact, play nicer with iOS. It's organized so much better.

Lastpass somehow feels dated, like AOL mail or Delicious.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Abu Dave posted:

How about a website?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Abu Dave posted:

Medisafe is pretty good, but strangely slow sometimes. The notifications are great though.

Ed: I misread that as "medication" for like two days straight. gently caress.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 4, 2016

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Why the gently caress has Downcast started randomly pausing on me without me disconnecting headphones or Bluetooth devices or anything within the last week or so? Was there a new update that borked it?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Abu Dave posted:

I like Buddhify.

Also overcast, weather underground, and 1password.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

IuniusBrutus posted:

1Password for windows lags behind the rest, but otherwise yes the apps are much better. I switched when LP got bought and 1P did a half off sale, never looked bad. But yeah, it's a steep normal price

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Abu Dave posted:

Powering off my phone seems to work.

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend
What are people using for content blockers?

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

ProSlayer posted:

What are people using for content blockers?

1blocker here.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Same. Works well.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Does no one like Focus by Firefox? I switched over after whatever drama about blockers taking payment from advertisers. Seems effective.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I use BlockBear because I use TunnelBear for proxy stuff and like the company/bears

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I use Focus, and had forgotten it was on my phone until the thread brought it up. So I guess it's good at its job.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I also use 1block and it seems to work.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Does 1Blocker block ads in pages that are opens in apps like Twitter or FB?

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Any opinions on Polymail? I just got an invite.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

Dugong posted:

Any opinions on Polymail? I just got an invite.

How'd you get the invite? I really want one but I've had absolutely no luck.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

keevo posted:

Does 1Blocker block ads in pages that are opens in apps like Twitter or FB?

Only if the app uses that Safari View Controller. I don't think Facebook uses that. Not sure about Twitter either. I use TweetBot, and it uses Safari View Controller. I use 1blocker and don't see ads when I click links through TweetBot.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Vanellope posted:

How'd you get the invite? I really want one but I've had absolutely no luck.

If it's possible for current users to give invites, I can give you one. I just can't find where I would do that.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

LODGE NORTH posted:

If it's possible for current users to give invites, I can give you one. I just can't find where I would do that.

I really have no idea. :( Some people are saying that they have invite codes, so I think maybe they email them to you?

If you happen to find one or if anyone else has one, I would be so grateful. I've waited months for mine and nothing.

Vanellope fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 7, 2016

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

You should have an invite

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

LODGE NORTH posted:

You should have an invite
Oh wow, thanks! :)

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

What's the go to Media Player for iOS? Something where I can lost some .mkv video files that contain either DTS or AC3 audio. I've heard that some media players "update" and remove audio codecs due to expiring licenses.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Rabid Snake posted:

What's the go to Media Player for iOS? Something where I can lost some .mkv video files that contain either DTS or AC3 audio. I've heard that some media players "update" and remove audio codecs due to expiring licenses.

nPlayer is solid for me

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Vanellope posted:

I really have no idea. :( Some people are saying that they have invite codes, so I think maybe they email them to you?

If you happen to find one or if anyone else has one, I would be so grateful. I've waited months for mine and nothing.

I don't remember signing up but maybe I did :shrug:

I'm gunna try it tonight

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Dugong posted:

I don't remember signing up but maybe I did :shrug:

I'm gunna try it tonight

Polymail's really nice, it's like Airmail with a UI that isn't on the spectrum. If anyone else needs an invite, PM me, I've got some.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

smr posted:

Polymail's really nice, it's like Airmail with a UI that isn't on the spectrum. If anyone else needs an invite, PM me, I've got some.

I'd like one if you could spare it.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

smr posted:

Had two invites, sent two invites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Is sync for Polymail still a total disaster?