Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

hiddenmovement posted:

Of the last 4 kings Robert was easily the best
Stannis, Joffrey, and Mance were all better kings.

Bobo the Red posted:

Because it would be anticlimactic as gently caress.

Did Cersei ever interact with the Iron Bank (besides sending Made to treat with them)? Why would they kill her? Civil war means they never get their money back, otherwise they would've just gone to their hometown assassin house and done it ages ago.

It's one thing to back Stannis, who then would owe you when he won, it's another to just take out the leaders and expect whoever picks up the pieces to honor their debts
If they at some point decide that they simply aren't getting their gold back, the extinction of House Lannister would serve as an example to others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I'm confused by the celibacy thing. Marg's MO for the series has been using sex and femininity to get what she wants, first from Joffrey, and then Tommen, who's the perfect mark. We know she hasn't sincerely converted, so is she just not in the mood because she's being ripped apart by stress and anxiety, or is there some new game afoot? Giving Tommen a baby seems like the last step in the Tyrell plan, and would probably give her and her house more control over Tommen re: things like getting Loras released and his rights restored.

Margaery is playing a role of a devoted religious nun now, and the High Sparrow is testing her on it. That's all there is to it. She's playing a role, we know that because of the flower drawing she gave Olenna, and the High Sparrow wasn't born yesterday so he's suspicious of Margaery but he's not convinced she's faking or anything, just slightly suspicious.

But really you're overthinking it. As somebody mentioned before, its just a very obvious "HEY AUDIENCE, YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO LIKE THIS GUY". That's all that really happened. Its a real cheap and fast attempt at demonizing his character. "Hey, The High Sparrow likes marital rape! so he's a bad guy!! everybody please hate him now so its more satisfying when he dies in a couple episodes!!!"

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

It's tough to hate Jonathan Pryce though, especially when he's knocking it out of the park. The High Sparrow is a pretty rote character yet Pryce is just so drat charming that the show will be made darker by his absence.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sickening posted:

Eh, ravens are just cooler than pigeons and makes for a better story. No other reason needed.

Pideons also have IQ's comparable to a goldfish. Ravens problem solving skills are pretty amazing.
Biblically, the raven was the first creature Noah sent out of the Ark to see if the flood waters had begun to recede. It never actually came back, but there's a long allegorical history of raven as messenger there.

Perhaps more importantly, Robert Jordan used them as watchers and spies of the Dark One all over the Wheel of Time series, and Jordan's imagery probably had a lot to do with why GRRM picked a three-eyed raven as the countenance of the weirwood tree man.

Summary: ravens are cool.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Zaphod42 posted:

Margaery is playing a role of a devoted religious nun now, and the High Sparrow is testing her on it. That's all there is to it. She's playing a role, we know that because of the flower drawing she gave Olenna, and the High Sparrow wasn't born yesterday so he's suspicious of Margaery but he's not convinced she's faking or anything, just slightly suspicious.

But really you're overthinking it. As somebody mentioned before, its just a very obvious "HEY AUDIENCE, YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO LIKE THIS GUY". That's all that really happened. Its a real cheap and fast attempt at demonizing his character. "Hey, The High Sparrow likes marital rape! so he's a bad guy!! everybody please hate him now so its more satisfying when he dies in a couple episodes!!!"
There's a creep factor, but it's not remotely rape if he gives her a different perspective that convinces her to willingly consent. At no time does he say anything to either of them implying it's Tommen's husbandly/kingly right to take her whenever he pleases or anything like that. We already did marital rape on this show, and it looks like Ramsay Bolton.

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014
Does the show have the budget for the Eldritch apocalypse now that it's been confirmed? They can't even show 3 dragons at a time, how will we get the Drowned God on screen?

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004
I hope we get a CGI Kraken vs Drogon in the high seas fight if the Greyjoys ever team up with the dragon queen.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

For the final battle they'll just show a close up of Dany's face being smug, put an orangey glow effect over it and call it a loving day.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

tooterfish posted:

For the final battle they'll just show a close up of Dany's face being smug, put an orangey glow effect over it and call it a loving day.

Very Spielbergian!

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Durzel posted:

It's tough to hate Jonathan Pryce though, especially when he's knocking it out of the park. The High Sparrow is a pretty rote character yet Pryce is just so drat charming that the show will be made darker by his absence.
He and Qyburn both really are much more likeable than they have any right to be.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Yara mentioned of an alliance with the dragon queen, this was predictable via the events of the past few eps. But where did they originally get the idea for that? I seem to have missed that dialogue.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Ofecks posted:

Yara mentioned of an alliance with the dragon queen, this was predictable via the events of the past few eps. But where did they originally get the idea for that? I seem to have missed that dialogue.

Euron mentioned it in his "campaign speech." Basically saying that he would find her and seduce her into helping them. Apparently Yara thought that was a good idea and took it as her own.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

MeccaPrime posted:

Euron mentioned it in his "campaign speech." Basically saying that he would find her and seduce her into helping them. Apparently Yara thought that was a good idea and took it as her own.

Basically it was:
-Euron sways the crowd and promises to ally with Dany
-Yara and Theon realize "he's totes gonna murder us once he's crowned"
-They tap some loyal captains and steal the ships moored nearby
-Euron goes to murder them and discovers their absence
-They're now marked for death on the Iron Islands, the North, and the south of Westeros

So they have nowhere else to go/base out of, they have a head start on Euron, so may as well beat him to the punch and ally with the force that will likely give them a new home.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Vulture Culture posted:

There's a creep factor, but it's not remotely rape if he gives her a different perspective that convinces her to willingly consent. At no time does he say anything to either of them implying it's Tommen's husbandly/kingly right to take her whenever he pleases or anything like that. We already did marital rape on this show, and it looks like Ramsay Bolton.

Ehhh... the whole "consummating marriage doesn't require the wife to be in the mood, just to be patient for her husband" is pretty bad dude. You're splitting hairs.

"You should do this because god says so and you're wrong if you don't" is pretty heavy duress also, so that kinda removes the whole "willing consent".

Just because you can point to another case of worse rape (Ramsay) doesn't mean its not marital rape. Same with Daenerys falling in love with Drogo, that doesn't undo the things that happened to her earlier on. Should probably just avoid discussing this topic in this thread though because its not like you're going to change your mind or anything.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

OAquinas posted:

Basically it was:
-Euron sways the crowd and promises to ally with Dany
-Yara and Theon realize "he's totes gonna murder us once he's crowned"
-They tap some loyal captains and steal the ships moored nearby
-Euron goes to murder them and discovers their absence
-They're now marked for death on the Iron Islands, the North, and the south of Westeros

So they have nowhere else to go/base out of, they have a head start on Euron, so may as well beat him to the punch and ally with the force that will likely give them a new home.

Why would they be marked for death anywhere outside the Iron Islands? The North is openly at war with the Iron Islands, and the rest of the country is nominally also at war with them, why would they respect Euron's wishes?

Or do you just mean because they're iron born? They definitely could've gone and joined Sansa and Jon. Theon's just a dummy

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Bobo the Red posted:

Why would they be marked for death anywhere outside the Iron Islands?

Because the Ironborn are raiders/pirates which pretty much makes them KOS outside of their islands. Also that whole failed rebellion thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Orange Red Bull posted:

Because the Ironborn are raiders/pirates which pretty much makes them KOS outside of their islands. Also that whole failed rebellion thing.

I don't think that makes them KOS, but it would mean nobody would give a poo poo about them at least.

I think its less that they're in danger from other people in Westeros so much as if they just chill in Westeros, they're not that far from the Iron Islands, and Euron is literally a pirate king. The guy uses dark magic in order to control the very seas and winds so he can fast-travel around and do whatever the gently caress he likes.

When it comes to somebody like that being out to get you; you straight up run away, the opposite direction, as fast as you can.

Now that means they won't be able to hide from him in Essos for long either, but if they keep travelling East they can at least stay ahead of him since he has to build ships before he can sail after them, and if they beat him to Danny then... they can possibly upstage his plans.

Quift
May 11, 2012
I'm not at all reading the "rape" part in that exchange. I mean, sure, we would call it rape today but it would hardly be called that in the cultural context of the show. It can hardly be used to portray the fransiscan Pope as a anything but a realistic adult who knows how a dynasty works. After all, this was a political marriage of the highest caliber. Margeary's feelings are besides the point.

How can this advice makes him a villain in a show were most characters are warmongering murderers?

That other priest that we were told to grieve for was after all a thief, child murderer and rapist.

In other notes. Arya =waif? I'm buying it. You?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Quift posted:

I'm not at all reading the "rape" part in that exchange. I mean, sure, we would call it rape today but it would hardly be called that in the cultural context of the show.

That's not the point and doesn't loving matter.

Margaery isn't going "OH MY GOD HE WANTS TOMMEN TO RAPE ME?" nobody is acting like Margaery is thinking of it that way. That isn't remotely the point. You've somehow completely misunderstood.

For the third time; that whole scene was designed to make us, the audience, hate the High Sparrow. We the audience with modern morals and ethics. That's the whole loving point.

Its not supposed to be a big deal for Margaery, and she's just playing him anyways.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Orange Red Bull posted:

Their last failed rebellion left both Theon, Yara, their dad, and their uncle alive, so I'm not sure it's quite that drastic. They're still highborn, they're still valuable prisoners (or allies. Everything is a mess).

Quift
May 11, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

That's not the point and doesn't loving matter.

Margaery isn't going "OH MY GOD HE WANTS TOMMEN TO RAPE ME?" nobody is acting like Margaery is thinking of it that way. That isn't remotely the point. You've somehow completely misunderstood.

For the third time; that whole scene was designed to make us, the audience, hate the High Sparrow. We the audience with modern morals and ethics. That's the whole loving point.

Its not supposed to be a big deal for Margaery, and she's just playing him anyways.

Yeah. I don't buy that. At all.

It did not make me feel worse about him. He is still a teddybear next to the many murderous psychopaths that I'm apparently supposed to root for.

Given that our "modern sensibilities" quite clearly should work to make daenarys the villain of the show I'm quite lenient on the Pope who wants to avoid a new war of succession.
Your our entire reasoning is based on the faulty premise of the audience applying their normal moral norms. Given how many thought daenarys let's rape and pillage two continents- speech was "feminist" I think you are seriously over estimating the audience.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

Magic (I have no idea).

I think maybe this is just one of those things, like time, distance, the exigencies of physical labour, swords... and horses, that GRRM just doesn't understand very well.
I don't want to be that guy, so I'll keep it vague.

The answer to this has been addressed in the source material and I fully expect it will be addressed in the show as well. It's not fair to say this about the author because he's already woven it into a plotline.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Theon is welcome is camp Sansa. Not that that means two squirts of pee since they are bad at army building. Hey we got the dregs of the North come join us! No thanks we like rapey cutty Ramsey.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Dr. Faustus posted:

I don't want to be that guy, so I'll keep it vague.
No, you're not that guy. But you're the other loving guy.

Just tell me, stop being awkward. Why are people so afraid to discuss things in this thread?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

Just tell me, stop being awkward. Why are people so afraid to discuss things in this thread?
Because this is the thread about the show and not the other stuff. The question came up and I only wanted to allow that there is a canon explanation and it just hasn't made it into the show yet. Based on the events of this season I fully expect it will.

I'll spoiler-tag it so folks who want to read it can and others can wait:

It's already been alluded to by the mention of Bloodraven upthread. Bran's training shows him that the weirwood trees are like a network through which he can access all of history, though until this season there was no reason to believe he could change it. The ravens are a part of this. They know where a message is meant to go because of Bloodraven and the weirwood network. I'd have to pull down book five to locate the full explanation but that's enough to go on. I think it'll play some part in Bran's plotline as he learns the extent of and how to control his powers.

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.

Vegetable posted:

The words "of the Vale" are very clear. Who else do you think it is?
I think the letter is going to be sent to Robyn directly. Sending it to Littlefinger feels too stagnant character-wise. I feel like the show has been telegraphing her becoming a player in the game. To have her come running to daddy every time she has a problem doesn't seem fitting of her arc.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
All this talk about arya and no one realizes the only person arya can should and will assassinate is the night king

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Brick Card posted:

I think the letter is going to be sent to Robyn directly. Sending it to Littlefinger feels too stagnant character-wise. I feel like the show has been telegraphing her becoming a player in the game. To have her come running to daddy every time she has a problem doesn't seem fitting of her arc.

Maybe Sansa is brokering a betrothal between Lady Mormont and Robin Arryn? Not sure what else the reward would be.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Or she's just asking Littlefinger for help :shrug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

tooterfish posted:

...why the gently caress do you think?

Stop for five seconds and think about it. If there's a "that guy" thing, that implies that lots of goons have gotten upset about people posting about the books. Doesn't it? DUH. :doh:

That's why people aren't posting spoilers. Because this isn't the spoiler thread, and even when its not a spoiler people STILL get mad about book people posting information to flesh out the details.

Try reading the thread. And don't get upset at somebody whose just trying to answer your question.

Brick Card posted:

Eh, Robyn is an incompetent idiot and Sansa knows that. I don't think so.

Also you don't need to spoil tag things that are just your own theories, unless you have read leaks of the next episode or something.

Maarak posted:

Maybe Sansa is brokering a betrothal between Lady Mormont and Robin Arryn? Not sure what else the reward would be.

What? This makes even less sense.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Or she's just asking Littlefinger for help :shrug:

Yeah, guys, this isn't rocket science. You're overthinking it, just like the "Arya is living Fight Club" people.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Maarak posted:

How valuable of a marriage would that really be for him? Robin is Lord of the Vale, surely he has better prospects than that (better politically of course, as there is nobody actually better than her in all of Westeros).

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Try reading the thread. And don't get upset at somebody whose just trying to answer your question.
I might have come across more aggressive than I meant to. So I'll apologise, soz Dr. Faustus.

What I should've said is: if you can't say, then just don't say anything. Quoting someone's post to specifically say you that you can't say is redundant and a tad annoying.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

ShakeZula posted:

How valuable of a marriage would that really be for him? Robin is Lord of the Vale, surely he has better prospects than that (better politically of course, as there is nobody actually better than her in all of Westeros).

I'm just spitballin', but he's not a ruler driven by rationality or propriety.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ShakeZula posted:

More valuable would be Sansa, but how many times can she be married off??

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dr. Faustus posted:

It's already been alluded to by the mention of Bloodraven upthread. Bran's training shows him that the weirwood trees are like a network through which he can access all of history, though until this season there was no reason to believe he could change it. The ravens are a part of this. They know where a message is meant to go because of Bloodraven and the weirwood network. I'd have to pull down book five to locate the full explanation but that's enough to go on. I think it'll play some part in Bran's plotline as he learns the extent of and how to control his powers.
Seeing as I'm apparently right about the method through which the ravens work, I think we can be certain too now that Jon is Ned and Lyanna's son.

Maarak posted:

I'm just spitballin', but he's not a ruler driven by rationality or propriety.
The majority of Sansa's interaction with him was slapping him, doesn't seem like the most auspicious start for cooperation with a developmentally retarded noble. And I mean, you don't send that kind of letter to someone you clearly see as a spoiled little idiot.

bawfuls posted:

More valuable would be Sansa, but how many times can she be married off??
Sansa will do her version of loving a girl from every region; marrying a noble from each.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

tooterfish posted:

I might have come across more aggressive than I meant to. So I'll apologise, soz Dr. Faustus.

What I should've said is: if you can't say, then just don't say anything. Quoting someone's post to specifically say you that you can't say is redundant and a tad annoying.

Yeah but he did tell you something. He told you there's a good reason and you'll probably figure it out soon on the show. That's an answer to your question that isn't redundant and still avoids spoilers. IMO the proper response.

And then he gave you the full spoil tagged reason when you asked. Nothing annoying about either of his posts IMO, you're still overreacting. If he'd just said "Nyah nyah you don't know, can't tell you!" you'd have a point, but he didn't.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I've already apologised, so I'm not entirely sure what you want to achieve with this?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Its also actually an island in the literal sense because I'm becoming more and more confident that's the :lost: island, it looks too drat similar not to be. So its probably meant to be an island. Although it didn't read that way in the show if you didn't recognize the LOST scenes, it felt like the middle of a grasslands or even Essos.

They filmed Lost in Hawaii. They film GoT in Ireland and Europe. Not all green islands are in the tropics. Plus the backdrop was probably CGI.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Marge isn't going to bear an heir because it's a death sentence for her family and possibly herself if her political position isn't completely secure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

tooterfish posted:

I've already apologised, so I'm not entirely sure what you want to achieve with this?

That poster likes getting really indignant

• Locked thread