Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

She's a psychiatrist and a veterinarian?

It's like how being a Scientist in comics makes you an expert at every known physical science and maybe also some social ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Night10194 posted:

It's like how being a Scientist in comics makes you an expert at every known physical science and maybe also some social ones.

No such thing as social "science".

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I wonder how pissed or freaked out that Bruce Wayne look alike villain must be. The guy he wanted dead? Yeah he's batman. And nobody [police wise] seems to care.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Wedemeyer posted:

I wonder how pissed or freaked out that Bruce Wayne look alike villain must be. The guy he wanted dead? Yeah he's batman. And nobody [police wise] seems to care.

Hush? He shouldn't know about the unmasking, so I don't think he can be concerned about the police at this point. Besides, he's still locked up in Wayne Tower.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I like it when Harley is actually competent. When she's not gaga over Joker, poo poo gets done.

Is there more Harley predator sections? Maybe as DLC perhaps?

E: If Bruce wanted a patsy when the cops finally come knocking, Tommy Elliott is the perfect guy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

She's a psychiatrist and a veterinarian?

It's a monkey. Humans and monkeys are basically the same thing really. It's not like she's operating on a shark.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

berryjon posted:

Hush? He shouldn't know about the unmasking, so I don't think he can be concerned about the police at this point. Besides, he's still locked up in Wayne Tower.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

E: If Bruce wanted a patsy when the cops finally come knocking, Tommy Elliott is the perfect guy.

gently caress. I had thought they brought him into the cops. Welp. I hope the game isn't going to do some cop out and frame Hush so Bruce can go on Batman-ing. Though it does look like they're going to stick with the ol' 'woops, our fax is broken and get receive warrants for a... Brock Weyne?' trick.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Wedemeyer posted:

gently caress. I had thought they brought him into the cops. Welp. I hope the game isn't going to do some cop out and frame Hush so Bruce can go on Batman-ing.

But if Bruce gives Hush up as Batman, Bruce CAN'T go on Batmanning, or that just blows the whole thing up. Bruce Wayne would be under too much scrutiny after the whole "Batman is Bruce Wayne, no he's really Thomas Elliot who just made himself look like Bruce Wayne" to just keep up like nothing happened. After giving up Hush as Bruce Wayne/Batman, he'd also have to give up Batman, so no one would keep looking for who Batman really is.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I like it when Harley is actually competent. When she's not gaga over Joker, poo poo gets done.

This. BTAS even had it happen - Harley catches Batman in deathtrap while not under Joker's thumb, something Joker never succeeded at; he gets out purely because Joker gets so pissed about her having him ready to die [it spoils the joke] that he forces Harley to release Batman.

She's also particularly competent in Birds of Prey, until her Joker obsession gets the better of her. In plenty of appearances, Harley's seriously the smarter of the two, she just acts dumb for Mistah J because he wouldn't like a smart girl [highlighting the abusive relationship].

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Well Joker is intelligent in an engineering and social sense that he can keep tricking people no matter how much terrible poo poo he pulls off, and Harley had to explain the joke to make the execution funny, but she can easily kill Batman because he's just an obstacle to her; not the main event and course to all the killing foreplay that is Joker's ploys to get Batman to fight him. The real tragedy in their relationship is that no matter how hard Harley could try to kill Batman so she and Mister J could live happily ever after is that was never his plan and its never going to happen because Joker's having too much fun with Batman. He could move on as with what happened with Sid the Squid, but Batman is HIS. It isn't even that she's smarter than Joker, although his pride is also wounded by that too. Batman is HIS Ultimate punchline. He also tried to take the kill himself with that trap too but allowed time for Batman to escape.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

dscruffy1 posted:

This next weekend is our last show weekend so maybe a week after that I should be back to a regular schedule. Maybe.

How cool! A fellow actor! Also congrats on the subscribers.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Well, in TAS, Joker definitely seems to want to kill Batman after a while. It's just that he wants the honor of killing Batman himself in a way that would be the pinnacle of comedy.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Problem is, Batman is the perfect straight man. Killing him might make a good joke, but you ruin all future possibilities for comedy.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Now that I think about it, if Arkham Knight was initially conceived as Rocksteady's mark on Batcanon forever, it was doomed for failure before any mandates for Jason Todd. Heart of Ice came about because they wanted to do something interesting with a joke of a character that was pre-B:TAS Freeze. Harley Quin was probably one half decent character to bounce off of Joker and trying to use Bruce Timm's insatiable hunger for pin-up girls for good. Alan Moore's deconstructionism was probably just wanting to do something different with comics more than anything else. The Dark Knight Returns was borne entirely from Frank Miller's Mid Life Crisis over freaking out that he and his brother was now older than Batman. But I can't think of anything remotely good or significant that started out as a complete vanity project of THIS WILL BE OUR CONTRIBUTION TO BATMAN THAT WILL BE LOVED BY EVERYONE. Hell, the mandate could have been the best DC/Warner Bros could have done to salvage it. "If its going to be lovely anyway we may as well just use it as a tool to teach the public about Jason Todd."

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

RareAcumen posted:

It's a monkey. Humans and monkeys are basically the same thing really. It's not like she's operating on a shark.

Still very different doctorates. If I went on to get my PhD in chemical engineering, I wouldn't be working on experimental cancer research and I wouldn't be qualified for it. I'd be qualified to design a plant to synthesize, purify and package the end result of that research, but I wouldn't be fluent in the requisite biomedical stuff to try to come up with a treatment.

I wouldn't trust my shrink with a scalpel -- he didn't get trained for that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

psivamp posted:

Yeah he did. Psychiatrists are medical doctors.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Tiggum posted:

They can be DOs.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

psivamp posted:

Still very different doctorates. If I went on to get my PhD in chemical engineering, I wouldn't be working on experimental cancer research and I wouldn't be qualified for it. I'd be qualified to design a plant to synthesize, purify and package the end result of that research, but I wouldn't be fluent in the requisite biomedical stuff to try to come up with a treatment.

Thank you for taking my joke completely seriously. Now let's try again.

Eh, surgeon and veterinarians are basically the same thing in a pinch. If you work on building helicopters, I'm sure you can do everything from engine repair down to slapping together a generator.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Tiggum posted:

Sort of. They've got the theory teaching and maybe a couple hands-on minor experiences, but odds are they haven't so much as seen a scalpel since med school. I wouldn't trust a radiologist to diagnose my mental issues (though they probably see more than their fair share of depressed people), and I wouldn't trust a psychiatrist with even a mole removal. There's a reason that surgeons exist to do nothing but cutting: it's really easy to gently caress up, so you want someone who's a focused expert and has been screened for steady hands.

Now a dermatologist? They're a bit more familiar with scalpels, for obvious reasons. But I still wouldn't want them doing bypass surgery on anyone.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think that under the circumstances in that there comic book they didn't have the luxury of a trained veterinarian in the vicinity.

Basically, if I had to choose between having a psychiatrist doing some surgery on me or bleeding out, I'd give that psychiatrist a scalpel every time.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Cerebral Bore posted:

I think that under the circumstances in that there comic book they didn't have the luxury of a trained veterinarian in the vicinity.

Basically, if I had to choose between having a psychiatrist doing some surgery on me or bleeding out, I'd give that psychiatrist a scalpel every time.

Yeah. When your only alternative is "definitely die", a lot of things start looking quit a bit more palatable.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
...you're also debating the qualifications of a person who, regardless of the type or quality of their medical training, has since demonstrated profound mental instability and violent psychosis. She's wearing her 'insane murder-clown' outfit in those frames, for god's sake.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

This topic is only making me wonder if there's a medical doctor themed superhero or villain.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This topic is only making me wonder if there's a medical doctor themed superhero or villain.

There is Dr. McNinja.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Doctor Mid-Nite and Accomplished Perfect Physician jump to mind.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

Accomplished Perfect Physician is the worst superhero name I've ever heard. Besides Mister Tawky Tawny, of course.

That Deathstroke "fight" was the biggest let down of this game, I think. I would have loved to have a fight with a master assassin and mercenary that was tense and interesting, but apparently what you get in Knight is quite a wet far. "Disappointing," indeed, scruffy.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Harley has the same problem Deadpool has - they're funny characters, sure, but when written best, they have a lot of layers, and the outward whacky behaviour is a mask to cover the issues and layers of complexity and tragedy the characters have - but bad writers just play up the LOL XD part of the character. The tragedy of Harley Quinn is that she has a skills to be anything she wants to be - doctor, criminal, supervillian etc, but her all comusing obession and co-dependant with the Joker stops her.

The Harley Quinn DLC was a decent little character bit that explored her character a bit more than the main game did, it would have been nice if it was a bit longer.

In Arkham Knight, Harley isn't doing too well. That's one thing I really likie about the game, since there's a sense of finality you can't have in most Batman media, all the characters seem pushed to breaking point or just worn out. Especially the Riddler - he's REALLY not doing well mentally this time round.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Cerebral Bore posted:

There is Dr. McNinja.

That would probably work pretty well as an Arkham-style game, combined with some Trauma Center style surgical minigames and diagnostic detective work.

I don't know if the comic's ending would make a game more or less likely to ever happen.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012

Sir Potato posted:

Accomplished Perfect Physician is the worst superhero name I've ever heard. Besides Mister Tawky Tawny, of course.

On the other hand it sounds great for an Exalted.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Sir Potato posted:

Most Excellent Superbat.

E: For those of you arguing over whether psychiatrists count as doctors, doesn't Harley actually say "Some of us actually had to go to medical school and earn our degree" in the panel in question?

Philippe fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jun 9, 2016

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I don't know how you all do it in your respective corners of the world, but where I'm from, psychiatry is a specialization you go into after geting your doctor's license by finishing regular med school. So in my mind a psychiatrist sure as poo poo is a medical doctor.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

In the US, psychiatry is an MD specialty, but contra the last poster you go into it to get your license, and you certainly don't cut open unconscious people like a surgeon would.

Dr. Quinn, however, seems to variously refer to herself as a PhD or an MD, which are different things with different courses of study. You can do both, of course, but that tends to bias you more to research and less to clinical practice, and takes another 4 years or so. Dr. Quinn's age would appear to argue against that career route.

Based on what little we saw in Arkham Asylum (with the caveat that fiction need not mirror reality), I would suspect that Dr. Quinn was fresh out of medical school, just beginning her internship in psychiatry when she was swept up by the Joker. This is based largely on her insecurity before her peers and the rather tentative nature of her "professional" talks with the Clown Prince of Crime. Still a doctor, but less than fully trained and not even remotely qualified for surgery. Good enough for comic books, though.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, and it's worth keeping in mind that Harley is supernaturally competent, just...maybe not always entirely honest.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Besides, she's been working with one of Gotham's foremost experts when it comes to cutting up people for quite some time.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I remember back in the first cartoon where they explained her backstory: her exaggerated accent is part of her Harley "persona" and when she briefly drops it to talk normally it's shocking.

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."
Hi! Speaking as a recent PhD in psychology, I wanted to clarify. Psychiatrists have specialized training in mental health in addition to the rest of the medical doctor (MD) training. All MDs do rotations in mental health, but those are more to gain some familiarity rather than develop expertise. Psychologists are trained on mental health research and practice (the ratio of the two depends on the program) as part of their doctorate of philosophy (PhD) or doctorate of psychology (PsyD) training. I'm pretty sure I've seen Quinn refer to herself as both a psychologist and a psychiatrist at different times, though I chalked that up to the writers not knowing what they're talking about.

Oberndorf posted:

Based on what little we saw in Arkham Asylum (with the caveat that fiction need not mirror reality), I would suspect that Dr. Quinn was fresh out of medical school, just beginning her internship in psychiatry when she was swept up by the Joker.

I agree with the idea that she was still early in her career when she met the Joker, though that leaves the question of what supervisor thought it was a good idea to let a new intern work with the freakin' Joker. :v:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Bizarre Echo posted:

I agree with the idea that she was still early in her career when she met the Joker, though that leaves the question of what supervisor thought it was a good idea to let a new intern work with the freakin' Joker. :v:

A supervisor who was working in Gotham/Arkahm when the Joker first appeared, and thus the true width and breadth of his mentality was not yet recognized?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Also, I may be misremembering, but in Origins I think it was implied that Quinn did the initial interview with Joker because her supervisor wanted to scare her out of her obsession with criminals.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Considering that Arkham Asylum wasn't originally supposed to be part of a 'universe' and just a standalone story, most of the supplementary stuff like character bios and interviews could be seen as non-canon to the later games.

I would definitely count the AA audio of Quinn's first meeting with the Joker as non-canon vs the on screen version seen in Arkham Origins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So there's some kind of Arkham VR game coming out in October, apparently?

• Locked thread