Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Niggurath posted:

I had heard about it when I was looking up info when I was doing a Hellnight LP, but I wasn't sure how well an LP would work for it since it's mostly static screens with a bunch of puzzles littered about. But actually watching video of it, maybe it could be a good LP to do? Sadly doing a cursory search of youtube brings up nothing that I'd recommend.

Yeah same, theres some autistic guy that I couldnt listen to for more than 10 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Basticle posted:

Yeah same, theres some autistic guy that I couldnt listen to for more than 10 seconds.
Was it 'd' something? The one I found was mostly some insufferable person reading out every line in different voices which is kind of a problem in a game with that much text.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
The hospital bit at the beginning of Phantom Pain with the burning man and Psycho Mantis was brilliant and tense and yeah, Kojima needs to do a full on horror game.

Also in the Splatterhouse game you fist a demons rear end until it dies. It's boss.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Improbable Lobster posted:

I think that PT's excellence came from it being a new and completely unexpected thing that no one had really done before. Any imitator is gonna be lesser by virtue of not doing something new IMHO.

gently caress, I hope Kojima's new company is doing a horror game :smithcloud:
If they actually want to get a lot of money a horror game would be a risky first title

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

For anyone else it would be, but Kojima would have all the hype from P.T. behind him. Sure it wouldn't be actually Silent Hills because I doubt he'd be able to get the license from Konami what with their SH-based parlor games being loving money printers in Japan, but it's more viable from him than a brand new, unknown company.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Safari Disco Lion posted:

For anyone else it would be, but Kojima would have all the hype from P.T. behind him. Sure it wouldn't be actually Silent Hills because I doubt he'd be able to get the license from Konami what with their SH-based parlor games being loving money printers in Japan, but it's more viable from him than a brand new, unknown company.

Yeah, it's not like Kojima is some mew name in the industry. Apparently he's still hanging with Del Toro and Norman Reedus to boot. Hopefully if they are working on a secret horror game then they'll have also gotten Junji Ito back. Too bad the FOX Engine is dying with Konami though, that poo poo was dope.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So I'm about to replay Dead Island and all that, and I found out about Escape Dead Island. I didn't even know it was a thing so I looked up reviews and...woof. Was it really that bad?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So I'm about to replay Dead Island and all that, and I found out about Escape Dead Island. I didn't even know it was a thing so I looked up reviews and...woof. Was it really that bad?
There was only one good Dead Island and it was called Dying Light. Anything that actually has the Dead Island name on it is super bad, such as that MOBA they did.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I really liked Dead Island :shobon:

E: Thank god the lighting got an update in the definitive edition. The contrast was on so high in the original.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jun 7, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'm gettin good at making panicked pubbies stumble into bear traps, where they proceed to get macheted and meathooked.

Dead by Daylight is pretty fun and intense if you can get into multiplayer horror scenario stuff.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

It was a cheap cash in to make some revenue because Dead Island 2 is dead in the water.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

al-azad posted:

It was a cheap cash in to make some revenue because Dead Island 2 is dead in the water.

Oh word. Not so sure about Dead Island 2 though, they announced a new dev for it in March so it's actively being worked on.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Until Dawn got a price drop to $20

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Len posted:

Until Dawn got a price drop to $20

I paid $60 and walked away happy. If you have a PS4 and post in this thread then what're you doing??

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

al-azad posted:

I paid $60 and walked away happy. If you have a PS4 and post in this thread then what're you doing??

Between pays right now :( Next weekend I'm getting it for sure. I rented it when it came out and beat it so I've just been waiting on a price drop to buy it and see the stuff I've missed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

al-azad posted:

So seriously when's it coming to Steam.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lurdiak posted:

So seriously when's it coming to Steam.

The same time as all the other Sony 1st party games

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sakurazuka posted:

The same time as all the other Sony 1st party games

So in 2 years when Sony finally goes under, got it.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Niggurath posted:

Anything that actually has the Dead Island name on it is super bad, such as that MOBA they did.
What a horrible idea. I had no idea this ever existed.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
The first Dead Island is far from being "really bad" in all actuality, but that's not an unfair way to describe the game. It's not much of a horror game but it is a hilarious, goofy, unintentionally so-bad-it's-good coop romp with friends. At least for a little while. By the 3rd chapter the gimmick had worn completely thin but it was definitely fun while it lasted.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So I just recently got an early model PS3 that can play PS2 games, and I haven't owned a PlayStation since the original PS1 was new, and I'm getting caught up on 3 generations' worth of back catalog.

Are there any PS1/2/3 horror games I should keep an eye out for? I'm talking console exclusives, or games where the "best version" came out on PS1, 2, or 3.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Xenomrph posted:

So I just recently got an early model PS3 that can play PS2 games, and I haven't owned a PlayStation since the original PS1 was new, and I'm getting caught up on 3 generations' worth of back catalog.

Are there any PS1/2/3 horror games I should keep an eye out for? I'm talking console exclusives, or games where the "best version" came out on PS1, 2, or 3.

I mean, it sounds like you've never had the opportunity to play Silent Hill 2 or the Fatal Frame trilogy. If that's the case that's four games right there, and I'd add on Silent Hill 3 at least.

E: Oh, The Suffering as well. I'm curious though, why have you never played Ps2 games off an emulator?

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 7, 2016

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I've got The Suffering 1 and 2 for Xbox, and I've got Silent Hill 4 also for Xbox. I haven't personally played SH1-3, but I watched a friend marathon all three games over a Halloween weekend in college. I've also got Fatal Frame 1 and 2 for Xbox, but I think the series stopped there on that platform.

As for an emulator, I've never really messed with any emulators newer than the Atari Jaguar (or MAME). I don't have a game controller for my PC, and using a keyboard to play games designed for consoles/controllers always felt weird.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I mean, it sounds like you've never had the opportunity to play Silent Hill 2 or the Fatal Frame trilogy. If that's the case that's four games right there, and I'd add on Silent Hill 3 at least.

E: Oh, The Suffering as well. I'm curious though, why have you never played Ps2 games off an emulator?

seconding fatal frame and silent hill

i'd recommend silent hill 4, but that game is pretty divisive on who likes it and who doesn't when compared to 2/3

if you can get your hands on it, rule of rose is creepy/weird, less straight horror and more just....loving nuts

iffff you like campy horror schlock, obscure titles are...ok

and finally i'd try forbidden siren, they released a compilation of all the episodes for ps3 i think and its just called Siren, it's a good game

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

A. Beaverhausen posted:

It's incredibly buggy and the main character may be more detestable than the previous characters, which is saying something (one liners after killing!). The later levels try to get artistic with battles inside the mind and the ending is ultimately a time loop leading back to the beginning of the game.

Avoid.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Rafza posted:

and finally i'd try forbidden siren, they released a compilation of all the episodes for ps3 i think and its just called Siren, it's a good game

The PS3 Siren is basically a remake of the first Forbidden Siren, but it isn't a compilation and it deviates quite a bit from the original in casting. (Most of the cast is no longer Japanese and is replaced by Americans) It's also more Western horror themed, so it's a bit more action packed then the original.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Also the best Dead Island is Dying Light and it isn't close

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

DrSnakeLaser posted:

The later levels try to get artistic with battles inside the mind and the ending is ultimately a time loop leading back to the beginning of the game.
I think that sounds really cool but I bet it isn't!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Xenomrph posted:

You could try the the first two Siren games and Rule of Rose, they're not good exactly, in fact RoR and Siren 1 are pretty unfun to play, but they are dripping with atmosphere and do some unique things if you can get past that. Siren 2 is actually pretty good, though old school, it never got released in the US but there's an English translated EU release. There's also Haunting Ground, a Clock Tower spin off that's much better than the awful CT3.

Some of those are super pricey to get from eBay now though.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Skyscraper posted:

I think that sounds really cool but I bet it isn't!

The really weird and pretty janky horror game Escape from Bug Island is another I remember that did a neat idea like this too.

"Ray will encounter some other characters through the first half of the game; however, after a visit to the Cave of Time, you will repeat the game in an attempt to prevent some of the character's demise."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sakurazuka posted:

You could try the the first two Siren games and Rule of Rose, they're not good exactly, in fact RoR and Siren 1 are pretty unfun to play, but they are dripping with atmosphere and do some unique things if you can get past that. Siren 2 is actually pretty good, though old school, it never got released in the US but there's an English translated EU release. There's also Haunting Ground, a Clock Tower spin off that's much better than the awful CT3.

Some of those are super pricey to get from eBay now though.

GameStop has Rule of Rose for $20 and Siren for $3 if you're in a place with GameStop

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Len posted:

GameStop has Rule of Rose for $20 and Siren for $3 if you're in a place with GameStop
I think that's the price they'd offer on a pre-owned copy if one was in the store, but there's a good chance they won't have something like Rule of Rose just kinda laying around.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Niggurath posted:

I think that's the price they'd offer on a pre-owned copy if one was in the store, but there's a good chance they won't have something like Rule of Rose just kinda laying around.
Yeah, RoR is getting more and more rare. Like I payed around $60 on Amazon for a copy complete with original box and manual several years ago but now it tends to run triple that amount. I don't why Sony just doesn't put it on PSN because they actually own the rights to the game.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 7, 2016

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Can confirm that none of the four game stops within reasonable driving distance of my house had Rule of Rose. I ended up finding it in a secondhand store on display.

EDIT: I got mine for $70 with case, but no booklet.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Nothing has made me more disappointed than finding out RoR is apparently so rare.

I got it when it came out in the US, my gamestop in not-particularly-noteworthy TX had a pretty good bunch of copies and a few years ago I even still remember seeing they had some, that I didn't even look at twice at the time. I drat near guarantee they're all gone now though probably, if I got the mind to go look or call them up.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

InsidiousMuppet posted:

Can confirm that none of the four game stops within reasonable driving distance of my house had Rule of Rose. I ended up finding it in a secondhand store on display.

EDIT: I got mine for $70 with case, but no booklet.

Here's a trick though. Walk into a GameStop and ask them to order it for you. They ordered a Shin Megami Tensei game from a place a few states away. I paid $15 for it at a time when Raidou vs the Soulless Army was still worth about $100.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

The really weird and pretty janky horror game Escape from Bug Island is another I remember that did a neat idea like this too.

"Ray will encounter some other characters through the first half of the game; however, after a visit to the Cave of Time, you will repeat the game in an attempt to prevent some of the character's demise."

This reminds me of Breakdown. Everyone with an Xbox should play Breakdown. I don't know if it's backwards compatible with the 360 but I hope it is.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The EU version is even rarer since it was 'banned' and only got a release in France and Italy (I think, my copy is Italian) and goes for pretty crazy money on eBay.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

al-azad posted:

This reminds me of Breakdown. Everyone with an Xbox should play Breakdown. I don't know if it's backwards compatible with the 360 but I hope it is.

OH MAN, the name sounded super familiar and I had to google it, but that game was cool as hell at the time.

Super powered first-person punchman was a real good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yardbomb posted:

OH MAN, the name sounded super familiar and I had to google it, but that game was cool as hell at the time.

Super powered first-person punchman was a real good time.

I have that game, but the box art isn't anywhere near as cool as that.