Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

frozenpussy posted:

What I'd love to see are ISK kill totals distributed according to damage percentage. Include characters who land things like points and ewar on the kill parade, but don't add ISK to their stats unless they do damage, and only the portion of the loss according to their damage percent.

Retroactively adjust those stats too. The great killboard paradigm revolution

that was one of gevlon's saner arguments but it falls apart once you realize that tackling is so much of the actual reason someone dies - the guy who contributed 1% of the damage to a titan effectively did nothing to kill it, the dictor who landed a bubble and popped a cyno to get the fleet was mostly responsible for the kill. the guy painting or webbing a ship letting dps be applied is responsible for most of the damage it suffered as well

since damage doesn't really correlate to your effectiveness it's just not a good way to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xolve posted:

How about because... we don't want to put our APIs in?

Why are Goons so interested in PL's killboard stats? Or anyone's really? It's not like we're trying to hide losses- everything gets posted eventually.

its funny that the elite pvp alliance got dumpstered so hard by t1 ships they suddenly don't care about killboards

you said you wanted old goonswarm back :sun:

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

evilweasel posted:

its funny that the elite pvp alliance got dumpstered so hard they suddenly don't care about killboards

Surely, losing 18 FAXs was the penultimate loss in PL history- one we shall never recover from.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xolve posted:

Surely, losing 18 FAXs was the penultimate loss in PL history- one we shall never recover from.

i mean, im not sure you can ever come back from those capital fits

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Baculus posted:

I think it's CCP Quant who does all their statistics work? And does it in the most hamfisted, "I learned what a BI server is and plugged a bunch of database bullshit into it" way. When they talk about quantitative analysis of this game I get more frustrated than bored - and that should never be the case.

I kinda doubt any data scientist worth a drat is going to move to Iceland to work on a smallish MMO when they can make $400k+/year in the Bay area or any other number of places

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

evilweasel posted:

i mean, im not sure you can ever come back from those capital fits

Worse things have happened- it's not like we lost 5 regions of space and money moons to Darkness and TEST or something equally catastrophic.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

Xolve posted:

How about because... we don't want to put our APIs in?

Why are Goons so interested in PL's killboard stats? Or anyone's really? It's not like we're trying to hide losses- everything gets posted eventually.

I could give a poo poo about PL's killboards. I'm genuinely curious where that decision was made, and the motivating factors. Whether they were strategic or not.

Given its considerable population, you can probably find more than a handful of members of PL who don't have any objection to doing it. But it sounds like this is PL's policy on the matter, which means it's not born of some kind of general indifference to the existence of KBs. Someone with a bigger dick, higher up on the totem pole said "this is a bad move". That's interesting to me.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

evilweasel posted:

im not sure you can ever come back from those capital fits

:drat:

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Baculus posted:

Given its considerable population, you can probably find more than a handful of members of PL who don't have any objection to doing it. But it sounds like this is PL's policy on the matter, which means it's not born of some kind of general indifference to the existence of KBs. Someone with a bigger dick, higher up on the totem pole said "this is a bad move". That's interesting to me.

I think it has more to do with the rampant paranoia in our IT department than anything else. I'd speak on this but I'm not an IT guy and I don't want my ignorance of IT jargon to give someone an aneurysm.

We have our own services and tools, because some things are more trawled than others- i.e. we don't use adashboard.info or dscan.me- and the idea of giving free intel for someone else to 3rd party our 3rd party isn't what we want.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Baculus posted:

I could give a poo poo about PL's killboards. I'm genuinely curious where that decision was made, and the motivating factors. Whether they were strategic or not.

It's because PL doesn't trust CCP not to break access masks on the API. They did it with the old API system so there is no faith they won't screw up with this system as well.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Xolve posted:

Worse things have happened- it's not like we lost 5 regions of space and money moons to Darkness and TEST backed by pl and NC supers and horde meatshielding plus a retarded misplayed backstab or something equally catastrophic.

Let's make it a lil more accurate

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Jazzzzz posted:

I kinda doubt any data scientist worth a drat is going to move to Iceland to work on a smallish MMO when they can make $400k+/year in the Bay area or any other number of places

The problem is a bit more alarming than that. It's understandable that a world-class data scientist wouldn't want to work on a rock for 50k / year. It's more like the people they have for 50k / year are worth about 20.

The data CCP releases is harmless in itself, like okay cool thanks for releasing some graphs, I can appreciate that. What bothers me is when they use very broad and general stats to justify very specific game balance decisions.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

Let's make it a lil more accurate

But- GSF has more supers than anyone ever, and should absolutely not be afraid of poorly fitted PL/NC supers though- right?

Also- having the sheer misfortune of dealing with GigX in the past few weeks- I doubt a backstab is within the capability of his feeble mind.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

iirc the only people at ccp who get $50k or more are like, c-level execs

they are not exactly paying the big bucks for the best talent around

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

Xolve posted:

But- GSF has more supers than anyone ever, and should absolutely not be afraid of poorly fitted PL/NC supers though- right?

Also- having the sheer misfortune of dealing with GigX in the past few weeks- I doubt a backstab is within the capability of his feeble mind.

Probably not his brainchild.

Also, GSF has no supers. They're all hellcampfucked-ed in 93-PI.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Xolve posted:

The worst/best thing they did was drop that region commander info of all the builds in progress. Without the early abortion hype i dont think MBC would've gotten off the ground.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

evilweasel posted:

What's the cost of living on fartwater island?

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Baculus posted:

Probably not his brainchild.

Also, GSF has no supers. They're all hellcampfucked-ed in 93-PI.

GigX is the kind of retard that convos you and says "I can get a fight- we have cynos, are you ready?"

We flash form, wait a minute for links, more logi, whatever

He just says "gently caress this- I go alone" and welps a fleet.

This totally wasn't what happened literally yesterday in Tartoken, promise.

This guy, weaving some weird web of lies and deceit to trap friendly supers seems so far beyond reality, I'm tempted to send the story to Disney for a quick payout.

Orange Red Bull posted:

The worst/best thing they did was drop that region commander info of all the builds in progress. Without the early abortion hype i dont think MBC would've gotten off the ground.

There were mistakes on both sides, some more considerable than others.

No use throwing stones about it though, there's glass everywhere.

Xolve fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 7, 2016

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Oodles posted:

What's the cost of living on fartwater island?

your dignity

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

frozenpussy posted:

your dignity

Are we pretending any of us ever had that?

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
That ticking timebomb isn't going to solve itself, goonfleet, get swole. Brought to you by Zoolanders brother.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

bluegoon posted:

That ticking timebomb isn't going to solve itself, goonfleet, get swole. Brought to you by Zoolanders brother.

I don't know what you're on about but I got myself a gym membership last week and had my first personal training session yesterday morning where I got smoked.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

frozenpussy posted:

I don't know what you're on about but I got myself a gym membership last week and had my first personal training session yesterday morning where I got smoked.

I'm sure you did, dude, but your username combined with copious amounts of obese sweat makes me extremely uncomfortable regardless of your witty poo poo.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

bluegoon posted:

I'm sure you did, dude, but your username combined with copious amounts of obese sweat makes me extremely uncomfortable regardless of your witty poo poo.

I sense you are not the only person who assumes / assumed I am a neckbeard who drew elsa out of some kind of anime pillow infatuation.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

frozenpussy posted:

I sense you are not the only person who assumes / assumed I am a neckbeard who drew elsa out of some kind of anime pillow infatuation.

The truth is far more disturbing than the fiction.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

evilweasel posted:

is it actually that bad? that's terrible

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

Glory of Arioch posted:

same reason they don't straight up own things like evemon and pyfa -- they are incapable of making basic business decisions

They're very good at making intricate and diverse things, but when it comes to simple things, like making a store that sells loving shirts or applying basic mechanics that any other MMO could find essential like a daily, they either just don't do it or half-rear end it. It's almost admirable how they can't see the forest through the trees.

EDIT: In retrospect, they work against themselves on the merch, especially with what just happened with Rixx Javixx.

Naz al-Ghul fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 7, 2016

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Landsknecht posted:

Some companies consider that they can pay less for quality workers because it's an opportunity to work near the fun.

Which is to say that CCP management doesn't have any understanding of their product.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Maneck posted:

Some companies consider that they can pay less for quality workers because it's an opportunity to work near the fun.

Which is to say that CCP management doesn't have any understanding of their product.

that's actually a terrible incentive though, because you're getting people who already have a strong opinion about the product and preconceived notions about what it should be, instead of objective opinions

then you get stuff like t3ds and aegis sov

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Landsknecht posted:

that's actually a terrible incentive though, because you're getting people who already have a strong opinion about the product and preconceived notions about what it should be, instead of objective opinions

then you get stuff like t3ds and aegis sov

You also get devs who can't stop themselves from signal boosting hostile propaganda, which makes the company an enemy of an entity in their own game.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

frozenpussy posted:

You also get devs who can't stop themselves from signal boosting hostile propaganda, which makes the company an enemy of an entity in their own game.

there's been devs who've done that on both sides for years

I think all the "world war bee" boosting wasn't so much anti-goon, but rather CCP needs a boost to their crashing sub numbers

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

frozenpussy posted:

Sure you pound the poo poo of of that thing, peanut.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

bluegoon posted:

Please do not fit-shame

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Helicon One posted:

Please do not fit-shame

you cannot put something up in 2002 and expect not to be made fun of 16 years later, I'm sorry.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

Landsknecht posted:

I think all the "world war bee" boosting wasn't so much anti-goon, but rather CCP needs a boost to their crashing sub numbers

I believe this - however the "no Sions allowed" CSM rule is pretty much a gently caress you to him and Mittens. And now they get to deal with Xenuria, so GL HF CCP.

Landsknecht posted:

The salaries on glassdoor were a loving joke. "Senior Developer" making something like 80k? I barely know SQL and CCP couldn't even afford to hire my fat, unqualified rear end.

By the same token, if you look at their last series funding, it came from "investors" who were making patent plays aimed at VR. Their existing IP had fuckall to do with it... Makes you think about their business priorities, huh?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Baculus posted:

The salaries on glassdoor were a loving joke. "Senior Developer" making something like 80k? I barely know SQL and CCP couldn't even afford to hire my fat, unqualified rear end.

By the same token, if you look at their last series funding, it came from "investors" who were making patent plays aimed at VR. Their existing IP had fuckall to do with it... Makes you think about their business priorities, huh?

I'm pretty sure only the Atlanta office made those salaries and that fartwater rock salaries were way lower. Could be wrong, but every story I've heard about their pay is ~30k.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

evilweasel posted:

I'm pretty sure only the Atlanta office made those salaries and that fartwater rock salaries were way lower. Could be wrong, but every story I've heard about their pay is ~30k.

But if you take that salary hit, you can propel your alliance into super-stardom, and make the game nearly insufferable in the process.

When I came back and saw that inties were now bubble immune I thought CCP had finally lost their loving minds. As it turns out, I was entirely correct.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Landsknecht posted:

there's been devs who've done that on both sides for years

that's because you're slow.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Someone pay attention to noted unperson LJ Roos so he'll quit white noise poo poo posting in here tia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

vyst posted:

Someone pay attention to noted unperson LJ Roos so he'll quit white noise poo poo posting in here tia.

PSY

OPS

• Locked thread