Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

widowmaker's ult is literally a wallhack so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Snazzy Frocks posted:

where is the man to the upper right? also even though i have pretty much learned the hard way that people are invulnerable for a while after rez i still try shooting them in the hopes that I can catch them right as they become vulnerable

Using twitch-shooting to better target the head of someone who he had a moment ago headshot and is completely stationary is wildly inefficient and stupid as hell, which is why people suspect aimbot. That's before you even get into the snapping motion and before you take in account that he does it three times in a row

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Manatee Cannon posted:

they exist but obviously that wouldn't work in competition because you'd be hilariously obvious in a setting where people are actually looking for that poo poo as opposed to random pub games. also people that rely entirely on a bot to aim for them tend to be pretty poo poo at movement, which is a dead giveaway for hackers

Let me introduce you to a guy named KQLY.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I've played against a Junkrat that I was 90% sure was wallhacking, because it was impossible to get the jump on him AND he sticky mined a Zen's face off when he was turning the corner. Other than that, eh.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Dias posted:

I think this one looks more suspicious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1d04Q4XO30

Yeah, the snap to the DVa after Lucio is kind of awkward.

I remember that in the old days of CS, there were aimbots that were more aim assists than an aimbot. They were incredibly subtle, to the point where people used them on LAN (and not small ones, either). Eventually, they got caught. I remember there was one clip on D2 where someone was looking long from B doors and shot someone through the wall as they were still jumping across (and so their model wasn't revealed, yet). Maybe someone know what I'm referring to.

I think to prove someone is cheating, there should really be a pretty high bar of proof (e.g. record finger/mouse movements and match with in-game behavior) but I to say that there isn't a single high level (or professional) player that doesn't/didn't cheat in the past is a bit, I don't know, a "never say never" thing.

edit: KQLY, etc. more recent

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 7, 2016

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
When will they start drug testing pro gamers? Amphetamines are the original aimbot

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Manatee Cannon posted:

widowmaker's ult is literally a wallhack so

And S76s ult is literally an aimbot, but they both last all of 10 seconds, and you do get to know when they're turned on and when they're not

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Taimou and Yang are both "pro" players who are suspected of cheating. This isn't some blind accusation.

Dave Matthews Big Fan!
Nov 10, 2009
the taimou clip on numbani looks goofy but afaik him and the rest of his team play in a team house now and he's just as good, i don't think any of the comp players accused of hacking have actually cheated (in this game at least)

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Brannock posted:

Using twitch-shooting to better target the head of someone who he had a moment ago headshot and is completely stationary is wildly inefficient and stupid as hell, which is why people suspect aimbot. That's before you even get into the snapping motion and before you take in account that he does it three times in a row

i dunno why move the mouse at all if youre aimbotting? honestly who cares though. as far as im concerned anyone who kills me repeatedly is cheating if i dont have access a high rez cam of their hands in sync with their screen

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Apparently a new update hit and it made the AFK detection even stricter to the point where people are getting kicked for playing bastion :laffo:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

That second video is a lot more damning, because the snap is a lot wilder and is a lot harder to explain away with desync shenanigans. There's no reason to even look at the D.VA, but he immediately snaps to her head. But again, the only way to really know involves spectating during the game and not relying on 6 second clips. It'd also be really dumb to aimbot on stream if you know people are suspicious of you.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Lady Naga posted:

Apparently a new update hit and it made the AFK detection even stricter to the point where people are getting kicked for playing bastion :laffo:

I'm glad of it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Dias posted:

I think this one looks more suspicious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1d04Q4XO30

Haha that is hilarious. Yep, totally normal to snap from the enemies on the objective to a tiny D.Va silhouette back at the spawn.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Can the Origins Edition skins be obtained through earned loot boxes?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Papercut posted:

Haha that is hilarious. Yep, totally normal to snap from the enemies on the objective to a tiny D.Va silhouette back at the spawn.

No one can hide from my sight.

teagone posted:

Can the Origins Edition skins be obtained through loot boxes?
No.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Rufio posted:

When will they start drug testing pro gamers? Amphetamines are the original aimbot

ESL already does this.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yea drug testing is becoming increasingly common, because of how prevalent drug abuse has become.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

seems to be a few heroes the pros gravitate to when they solo queue...

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I assumed he was trying to spot who was going around the corner but theres no reason to scope for that so that's kinda odd!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Minrad posted:

anytime ive run into azk, hulk, or akm they've played widow so this checks out

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Minrad posted:

players that abuse overpowered champions win more frequently? breaking news from minrad

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
"abuse"

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
never really understood cheaters

what's the point of playing if everything you do is bullshit and none of it is because of your own skill? Might as well let a bot play the game for you entirely

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Lady Naga posted:

The answer is never to stop shooting ever when you play Bastion. And many pubbies are way ahead of Blizzard on this, to judge from the number of Genji reflect deaths I still see.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zzulu posted:

what's the point of playing if everything you do is bullshit and none of it is because of your own skill? Might as well let a bot play the game for you entirely

because they're being paid money to play the video game at a high level

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Yes; why do people like to win?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Lady Naga posted:

Yes; why do people like to win?

some guy was complaining about losing a whole two games in a row today in match chat

blizzard!!!!!!!!!!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
also people in this very thread talk about how epic and hilarious it is to harvest pubbie rage tears, so i dont see why it's particularly difficult to see why someone would want to use a device that makes it all the easier to do.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Zzulu posted:

The people we're talking about get paid absurd amounts of money if they win tournaments.

EDIT: I haven't personally experienced anything I could say is cheating beyond a shadow of a doubt, though some Widows have come close, but I do hope Blizzard is more on top of banning these people than they are with bots/cheating in WoW.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i would hardly call it absurd, they're entertainers providing a service. no one is earning The Big Bucks playing competitive games outside of maybe like LoL and even then "big bucks" is pretty fuckin relative

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Zzulu posted:

Ask Lance Armstrong!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxkULBtpF3s

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

I really hate the inactivity detection. Sometimes i like to get up and use the washroom and a new match starts and i get kicked from the group I'm in. Or i like to get up and grab a drink between rounds.

I guess the solution is to get a jug to piss in and then drink my piss or just leave all groups and games if i want to step away for a literal minute.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Someone wrote an article on cheaters and why they cheat, and if I recall it's not ALWAYS about winning. Some people like breaking the system, some are griefers, others just use it as a blankie of sorts. It was a fun read, can't remember where I found it tho.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Hacking is quite easy to detect if you know what to look for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiQkJGc7APA

This is for TF2 but the general principle applies to most hacks seeing as how they usually plug directly into the rendering pipeline.

Also snipers in competitive scenes are under increased scrutiny seeing as how it turns out a significant proportion of comp snipers were straight up aimbotting and got banned for it.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Well I'm not talking about the microscopic amount of people who are pro gamers, i'm talking about average joe cheater who since the dawn of games uses cheats for his own amusement against random people

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

pakman posted:

I really hate the inactivity detection. Sometimes i like to get up and use the washroom and a new match starts and i get kicked from the group I'm in. Or i like to get up and grab a drink between rounds.

I guess the solution is to get a jug to piss in and then drink my piss or just leave all groups and games if i want to step away for a literal minute.

Yeah, it was a bit too tight to begin with and if they made it even moreso that's pretty bad.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dias posted:

Someone wrote an article on cheaters and why they cheat, and if I recall it's not ALWAYS about winning. Some people like breaking the system, some are griefers, others just use it as a blankie of sorts. It was a fun read, can't remember where I found it tho.

I'm a griefer in videogames, but I do it without cheating. It's much more fun to completely clown someone and piss them the gently caress off while playing completely within the rules than it is to install an aimbot.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
*installs program to win the game for you*

I'm a winner :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

professional overwatch is very impressive to watch