Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
felt keys would be pretty luxurious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

if they remove the ability to adjust screen brightness with the keyboard and replace that with highly-accurate ambient light sensing, that would be very apple

bonus points if they put the iPad Pro-type colour adjust in there

i.e. dumb as hell

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
he would replace the screen with a luxurious painting of horses instead

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Wheany posted:

the next-next macbook will have an optimus keyboard

lol, remember optimus?

razer has a keyboard that does it already

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PleasureKevin posted:

if they remove the ability to adjust screen brightness with the keyboard and replace that with highly-accurate ambient light sensing, that would be very apple

bonus points if they put the iPad Pro-type colour adjust in there

please tell me more about the Highly Accurate Ambient Light Sensing that reads your mind and compensates for an individual's quality of vision and personal preferences

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
it would be nice if the build ios flux into osx but make it transition just as good as flux and not lovely like ios

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Triglav posted:

lovely like ios

Agreed

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Sagebrush posted:

please tell me more about the Highly Accurate Ambient Light Sensing that reads your mind and compensates for an individual's quality of vision and personal preferences

Number of times I adjusted my iPhone or iPad last month because the auto-brightness didn't do a good job? 1 time.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

number of times i adjusted ios brightness last 24hrs: three i think

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Triglav posted:

number of times i adjusted ios brightness last 24hrs: three i think

Your auto brightness is setup wrong then. In strong light make the screen as bright as you'd like it, and in low light make the screen as dim as you'd like it. With auto brightness turned on it will figure out everything else.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bobfather posted:

Your auto brightness is setup wrong then. In strong light make the screen as bright as you'd like it, and in low light make the screen as dim as you'd like it. With auto brightness turned on it will figure out everything else.

thats so apple

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

actually its set up great and works but sometimes i want to change it for momentary bightness or clarity preference reasons because ios control center gives me easy access and control to do so thanks jonny

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

i'm not saying it would be good or bad, just seems like removing a setting and replacing it with automation they swear is better is something they'd pull. and it looks like they're replacing the hardware screen brightness keys so it's a possibility. or maybe it will just look like this

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
the only thing that bugs me about auto brightness is that once you touch it it remains disabled until you go into settings and turn it off and on again

after you lock the screen it should revert back to auto brightness imo

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

um what? no it doesn't

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

when u change the brightness it remembers how bright the ambient light was when you changed it and sets it accordingly. if the ambient light changes then it goes to a different level.

so if you crank it up inside it will think you want it really bright while inside and it will stay bright until you go somewhere darker or brighter.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

THC posted:

um what? no it doesn't

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
just reporting here that auto brightness works as intended on ios 5 on my iphone 4s

i'm not surprised that the hack johnny ives has managed to wreck even basic ios functionality

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
works fine for me

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Last Chance posted:

when u change the brightness it remembers how bright the ambient light was when you changed it and sets it accordingly. if the ambient light changes then it goes to a different level.

so if you crank it up inside it will think you want it really bright while inside and it will stay bright until you go somewhere darker or brighter.

hmmm need to investigate

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Samsung is working on a new phone that can bend

I'm the 37382474736 jokes about how we already have phones that bend

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/06/samsung-bendable-foldable-phones-rumours-details/

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Samsung is making a giant phone with a gimmick?

truly incredible

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
as always, the question is not whether or not it could bend it's whether or not it should bend

apple has answered the latter question with "yes"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Stymie posted:

as always, the question is not whether or not it could bend it's whether or not it should bend

because we have decided that we want phones that will bend

samsung is merely making one that functionally can

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Stymie posted:

how much should it bend?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

ArmZ posted:

how much should it bend?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ArmZ posted:

how much should it bend?

it should not bend at all, but apple has made phones that bend with normal use so their answer is "some"

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

still the most beautiful phone ever made

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Stymie posted:

it should not bend at all, but apple has made phones that bend with normal use so their answer is "some"

so you are not an engineer or a physicist. everything bends.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

:pray:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yes, but not everything bends with normal use

apple phones, prior to the disastrous iphone 6/6+, only bent under extreme stress that would not be expected as part of normal use

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bobfather posted:

sometimes I want minimum brightness for less distraction in dark rooms, sometimes I want it in the middle for better readability

70% brightness is best for readability and battery life balance, but I need 100% for good color accuracy and proper contrast when that's relevant to my work

i also adjust the brightness to the minimum usable sometimes in public outdoor situations to foil shoulder-readers

point is hiding the function by default is fine as long as there's a easy way to re enable or invoke it

Apple isn't so good about doing that

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 7, 2016

evilcat
May 16, 2009

DuckConference posted:

Samsung is working on a new phone that can bend

I'm the 37382474736 jokes about how we already have phones that bend

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/06/samsung-bendable-foldable-phones-rumours-details/

If they make it so it actually rolls into a tube like that video, it won't be long before they start making some crazy widescreen formats for it.
Prepare for 21:9 phones except for the one guy who held it wrong and now it's a 9:21 vertical video.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

sometimes I want minimum brightness for less distraction in dark rooms, sometimes I want it in the middle for better readability

70% brightness is best for readability and battery life balance, but I need 100% for good color accuracy and proper contrast when that's relevant to my work

i also adjust the brightness to the minimum usable sometimes in public outdoor situations to foil shoulder-readers

point is hiding the function by default is fine as long as there's a easy way to re enable or invoke it

Apple isn't so good about doing that

no, you're just overthinking and overjanitoring your phone's screen brightness.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

given "color accuracy" and "work" i think he means on a mac

changed brightness 1 time today. thx ios control center

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the scientists were too busy asking if they could, they didn't bother to ask if they should

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

still the most beautiful phone ever made

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

:allears:

sexy..

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

evilcat posted:

If they make it so it actually rolls into a tube like that video, it won't be long before they start making some crazy widescreen formats for it.
Prepare for 21:9 phones except for the one guy who held it wrong and now it's a 9:21 vertical video.

Roll out a few inches - phone style ui in portrait
Roll out the entire screen, it switches to a landscape tablet mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lmao the old youtube icon

• Locked thread