Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

boneration posted:

Nuka World and a couple more workshop DLCs if data mining is to be believed.

We're really only getting one more proper DLC? The last two FO games had FOUR, each!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sandwolf posted:

We're really only getting one more proper DLC? The last two FO games had FOUR, each!

For season 1 anyway

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Wolfsheim posted:

I believe all companions go back to Sanctuary if you don't stimpak then, and Dogmeat is drawn to any doghouses, of which there are three pre-built behind houses (the first house on the right, the house with flamingos and the collapsed one furthest from the entrance)

Thank you, I think this is the most likely place he will be hanging out. Otherwise I will try the other suggestion of picking up another companion.
I really like survival mode, it is so cool to have to actually care about what foods you grow but having to use dirty water to make noodle cups instead of clean purified water is irritating. I'm doing a melee build so the beginning was really hard but I just picked up Grognaks Axe, my 4th combat armor piece and the community leader perk so it feels like I'm on the right track. The only non-melee weapon I use is a double-shot .308 sniper rifle, pretty much necessary for some places like Corvega where there are enemies everywhere on the scaffolding.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

TjyvTompa posted:

Thank you, I think this is the most likely place he will be hanging out. Otherwise I will try the other suggestion of picking up another companion.
I really like survival mode, it is so cool to have to actually care about what foods you grow but having to use dirty water to make noodle cups instead of clean purified water is irritating. I'm doing a melee build so the beginning was really hard but I just picked up Grognaks Axe, my 4th combat armor piece and the community leader perk so it feels like I'm on the right track. The only non-melee weapon I use is a double-shot .308 sniper rifle, pretty much necessary for some places like Corvega where there are enemies everywhere on the scaffolding.

Keep in mind that you can fill empty bottles to store water now. nuka cola/beer/white/milk any bottle.

You then fill them in a lake/river/ocean to make dirty water or a water pump to make purified water.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Zephyrine posted:

Keep in mind that you can fill empty bottles to store water now. nuka cola/beer/white/milk any bottle.

You then fill them in a lake/river/ocean to make dirty water or a water pump to make purified water.

Yes that I know, I make all settlers toil in the razorgrain mines until I show up with a haul of 70+ dirty water. But it would be nice if I could use the infinite amount of purified water to cook my noodles too, instead of having to find empty bottles....which disappear once I use the water inside!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm pretty sure there's a mod that lets you use purified water for soup

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Calm down, edge lord.
If there is an achievement for a specific challenge in the game (Binding of Isaac) then that's fine because I'm going to do that challenge anyway. However, getting them for milestones in a story, things you were already going to do in the span of normal gameplay, are pretty moronic.

Those actually exist for reasons that don't have to do with the player directly. Achievements allow developers to see just how far someone got in a game, what quests they did, etc. It's useful for statistics so they can see what percent of people beat the game on Hard difficulty, for example.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

TjyvTompa posted:

Yes that I know, I make all settlers toil in the razorgrain mines until I show up with a haul of 70+ dirty water. But it would be nice if I could use the infinite amount of purified water to cook my noodles too, instead of having to find empty bottles....which disappear once I use the water inside!

Yes I agree. In vanilla fallout 4 dirty water is a precious resource.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

TjyvTompa posted:

Dogmeat has straight up disappeared from my survival game. I noticed he was missing when I was sneaking around Corvega and he didn't alert all the enemies to my presence. I checked Red Rocket and he is not there and I know I have not dismissed him.
Is there any other place he could be? Could he be sitting somewhere waiting for me to stimpack him? I noticed that I didn't get a waypoint to revive him after he "died" a couple of times.

Check the doghouses around Sanctuary. There are several of them. Demolish the ones you u dont want him going to.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

I'm on ps4 so there's nothing to be done for this but I think I've lost Righteous Authority :gonk:. I've checked all my workshops and my storage crates and it's nowhere to be found. I fear that a settler stole it, those shifty bastards.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Zephyrine posted:

I killed a Brotherhood of Steel patrol from the other side of the dock at night. (I'm BOS aligned but their patrols are too much fun to not kill)

One of the Knights fell back against a wall and remained upright while he was dead. His light was still pointed in my direction so I thought he was still alive and kept shooting him. As I shot him the light started moving from the impact of the shots which made me even more convinced that he was alive. I used up ridiculous amounts of ammo before I finally approached. The main problem was that crossing the harbour in power armour is a lot of :effort: so I couldn't just gradually approach him during the fight.

Love these kinds of stories.

I no longer have the image but one day I woke up to a Brahmin standing over me. Inside my bedroom. Let's just say she had three heads the prior night :wiggle:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Anyone had any issues of not being able to exit power armor once you've activated mods on console?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

not mine

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Jonesy posted:

I'm on ps4 so there's nothing to be done for this but I think I've lost Righteous Authority :gonk:. I've checked all my workshops and my storage crates and it's nowhere to be found. I fear that a settler stole it, those shifty bastards.

That happened to me with Final Judgment. I was so pissed. I didn't even think about settlers. I think I'll start killing them and checking inventories.

Also, whoever came up with the tedious new minigame in Far Harbor should be executed for crimes against gaming.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I got lucky with a random legendary and now I've got a combat shotgun with explosive modifier. This gun is so hilariously broken, I don't think anything can even compare... I might end up just putting it in a chest somewhere because nothing can stand up to it. Mankind wasn't meant to have this kind of power!

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I got lucky with a random legendary and now I've got a combat shotgun with explosive modifier. This gun is so hilariously broken, I don't think anything can even compare... I might end up just putting it in a chest somewhere because nothing can stand up to it. Mankind wasn't meant to have this kind of power!

I've had the same "problem" by finding things like a fully automatic bleeding 10mm pistol. I have to stash them away if I ever want to enjoy the game.

In my current playthrough I found a plasma 10mm pistol which adds 10 energy damage per shot. I made it automatic and expected quite a damage boost but I ended up disappointed.

Maybe it's because I have no perks into automatic weapons.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
My (Two-shot) Radium Rifle* looks incredibly dorky with the upgraded barrel. Looks like somebody attached a miniature satellite dish to the end of it. Haven't tried it out yet on mobs, though. The damage better blow my skirt up if it's going to be the new ride-or-die.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It's always funny when you get the opposite, like a Gamma Gun that does bonus damage vs ghouls or something.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Every attempt at Tom Hardy I try and do results in Johnny Five-Aces, so I'm just embracing that and going with it. Any tips for Survival perks? My first attempt at this game, and I'm going with 3/2/3/3/5/5/7. A cursory glance tells me I need Lone Wanderer, Critical Banker, and I want Gunslinger and probably Rifleman. I want to find a bobblehead or raise Int for Science!. What else you guys think?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Suave Fedora posted:

My (Two-shot) Radium Rifle* looks incredibly dorky with the upgraded barrel. Looks like somebody attached a miniature satellite dish to the end of it. Haven't tried it out yet on mobs, though. The damage better blow my skirt up if it's going to be the new ride-or-die.

The Radium Rifle does at least as much physical damage as those big-barreled Assault Rifles and has extra radiation damage on the side. The one I had tended to chew through enemies like butter. Even radiation-resistant enemies died pretty quickly thanks to the regular ballistic damage, the radiation was the cherry on top that let it blow through humanoids.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Firstborn posted:

Every attempt at Tom Hardy I try and do results in Johnny Five-Aces, so I'm just embracing that and going with it. Any tips for Survival perks? My first attempt at this game, and I'm going with 3/2/3/3/5/5/7. A cursory glance tells me I need Lone Wanderer, Critical Banker, and I want Gunslinger and probably Rifleman. I want to find a bobblehead or raise Int for Science!. What else you guys think?

The sneak perk will be your number one life saver.

Local leader because supply lines will be the only real way to get junk between settlements.

I like the explosives perks because there's no fight you can't rig by just stacking frag mines in a pile. Worst case it will cripple the legs and leave the enemy helpless.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Firstborn posted:

Chemist lets you brew your own Antibiotics. Probably worth it so you don't need to hoof it to a doctor constantly. On Survival Chemist is required to make RadAway too.

Local Leader is great on Survival, because linking all your settlements together means you don't need to fast-travel to Sanctuary every time to access all your crafting materials or workshops. And you could make your own doctor stations.

If you have Wasteland Workshop, you can make your own Decontamination Arches and those take off all the rads for free without any of the sickness that RadAway usually inflicts.

Armorer, because you can make pocketed/ultralight armor, both very handy.

It's risky, but Cannibalism has its upsides in Survival: the health it regenerates is regenerated instantly unlike every other form of health regeneration. It might be best if you get the upgraded form of it that lets you also feast on ghouls and super mutants, so your available number of targets to chow down upon increases.

Definitely get Aquaboy/girl if you can spare the perk point, because nothing irradiates you faster than water and you're gonna want to cross water if you want to save yourself travel time in Survival.

Some people max out Lead Belly so they don't have to worry about drinking dirty water straight from puddles or eating various irradiated junk food. Up to you.

Nerd Rage is a good panic button because if you get low on Health, it lets you either counterattack quickly or just run the hell away.

Sneaking to at least Rank 3 is highly valuable because stealth in general can save your life in Survival, and also making yourself immune to land mines and tripwires is very nice because those things will blow you away.

Fortune Finder. You're going to be trading for a lot of services as you go (including doctor services) and since ammo has weight now, the whole "trade away the ammo you aren't using" trick is less viable on Survival. You can make a shitload of money in a short amount of time with a few ranks here. Scrapper to scrap the guns you aren't using.

If you don't go Lone Wanderer, go Mechanist and build yourself a robot buddy. With Rank 2 Robot Expert, you can make a robot that passively regenerates your health at a high rate whenever you're out of combat. Very handy. Having something with gatling laser arms is of course also nice. Plus a well-built robot can carry WAY more than any other companion.

And, I said it before, if you're going for a very high Luck build, may as well go for Ricochet. It won't kick in often, but it'll always be nice when it does.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 7, 2016

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Cool, great info there. Thanks guys.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Does cannibal sate hunger?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Zephyrine posted:

Does cannibal sate hunger?

Yes, the downside is you get a craving for human meat and for the next 24 hours only more human (or ghoul/super mutant) will satisfy your hunger. You can go cold turkey to get out of it but that's a little hairy.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Firstborn posted:

Armorer early is OK but not critical (I'm assuming that's why you did str 3). Not a lot you can do to leather armor and that's pretty much all you'll find for a while.

If you're planning on VATS'ing with rifleman you'll probably want more than 2 per (and if nothing else 4 for lockpicking is nice).

END... it's somewhat situational depending on how you're playing. Fair warning that low END means you're gonna get oneshot by drat near anything that's larger than a bloatfly that decides to attack you. Not that that changes all that much with middling end. Really I don't know that 3 buys you much more than 1, I like going to 5 for aqua boy these days since that turns water from an annoying resource drain into the fastest and safest way to travel Boston early.

Cha 3 is fine. If you want to do settlement poo poo you'll want 6 eventually for local leader. Just be sure to stockpile +cha items for speech checks and remember that you can look away from whoever you are talking to to change clothes mid conversation.

Int I never bother with. 3 is nice for gun nut at some point, science! is needed I suppose if you're going to be using energy weapons (or power armor long term). For leveling speed I find it pretty pointless and just take a point in idiot savant. I also find there are way fewer terminals worth hacking than locks worth picking. So tl;dr if you're not using power armor or energy weapons just leave it at 1 for a while, you'll find adequate gun mods in the wild to modify your stuff until you can invest points in it to get gun nut anyway.

Agi is basically the king of all stats regardless of what you are doing, so anything you can spare. I consider stealth 3(4?, whichever makes you immune to mines) to be critical infrastructure even if you've decided you're gonna delete your character if you ever even accidentally hit the stealth button since you don't need to be sneaking to get the benefit. Being able to walk around without setting off mines or taking a random missile to the face because you didn't notice a tripwire is a godsend.

Luck I always make sure to have at least 5 for savant. Banker is nice but not critical early, reaper is amazing late game but the first couple ranks are meh. With a maxed out reaper and 4 leaf clover about 3/4 of your attacks can be crits tho which is hilariously broken.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Does anyone know if it's possible to get to the BoS Blind Betrayal quest without having to either recruit or kill Dr. Li for the previous Liberty Reprimed quest? I'm ultimately going to go Institute but I'd kinda like to get to see Danse's quest without losing Dr. Li for The Institute if possible. I'm assuming if you lose her to the BoS she doesn't return when you ultimately have to take down the Brotherhood.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

graynull posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to get to the BoS Blind Betrayal quest without having to either recruit or kill Dr. Li for the previous Liberty Reprimed quest? I'm ultimately going to go Institute but I'd kinda like to get to see Danse's quest without losing Dr. Li for The Institute if possible. I'm assuming if you lose her to the BoS she doesn't return when you ultimately have to take down the Brotherhood.

I thought blind betrayal was just triggered by the data download you do when you get there. You just fix up the ol' robot then Maxsom sends you off to talk to Danse

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I'm just getting around to Far Harbor now, and I'm actually pretty impressed--while I wish there were more/better new weapons (really Bethesda? You couldn't program the repeater's reload action properly?), I like the overall aesthetic, the environments are fun to explore, the new enemies are cool, and there are actually some quests that aren't just Radiant "go to X and kill all the Ys."

I don't think I'm all that far into the main story (just got to Acadia), but so far I feel that the story quest in Far Harbor highlights how loving stupid the Railroad is. They would have been more sympathetic if they were smuggling synths to Acadia to give them a chance at a life free from servitude and to find their own path instead of tricking them into thinking they're humans and scattering them throughout the wasteland.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Meant to say how does vault 118 unlock?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

NESguerilla posted:

Meant to say how does vault 118 unlock?

Explore the hotel; the elevator outside is nonfunctioning.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So take the elevator first (to the main part of the hotel) outside of the vault or do it before the load?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

NESguerilla posted:

So take the elevator first (to the main part of the hotel) outside of the vault or do it before the load?

You need a quest to get into the vault is the part everyone is skipping here. Watch for a mr handy in the main far harbor town, it'll show up at some point or another

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

After exploring a bit there should be a Ms. Handy waiting outside the Harbor looking for a detective and she'll take you right inside 118.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh. No I did the quest. I'm talking about the key that the robot drops when you kill him at the end.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Was there any point to informing the railroad about Acadia? The random NPC who had never been seen before was supposedly going to go there to help but I never ran into her again.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Do you have to have thrown your lot in with a faction to involve them in the DLC? Presumably the game doesn't let you tell the Institute and the Brotherhood and the Railroad all about the synth colony at once?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's funny how varied people's opinions of what the essentials in survival mode are.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Volkerball posted:

It's funny how varied people's opinions of what the essentials in survival mode are.

I don't think there are any. As long as you have some sort of plan, the game's not going to be very hard past the first few perk-lite hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Zephyrine posted:

What I like about penetrator is the aesthetics. It makes bullets penetrate enemies in vats and hit other things (visual only)

(see sparks by door console)

The problem I have with the penetrator perk is that it does reduced damage based on how thick the surface is that it pierced before hitting the target. This is not reflected in the vats damage estimate. While at the same time it conceals what parts of an enemy is behind cover and what isn't.

So if you have a raider partially covered by a crate and some other junk. You activate VATs and it says: 95% chance to hit everything. You aim at the torso and it shows as a killing blow. Hitting him in the arm would also be a killing blow but the torso is a reliable target. When you then fire, the shot pierces the corner of a crate and then hits the torso for 30% reduced damage. The raider now survives the shot. If you hadn't had the penetrator perk then what VATs would have shown you would be something like 20% chance to hit torso, 5% chance on a leg and maybe 90% on an arm. In which case you would have shot the arm instead for a killing shot.

This becomes very problematic when you select multiple targets and expect to kill 4 enemies but nr 1 and 3 survive with partial health even though VATs showed that they would die.

Other screenshots.

Why is there blood on my collar? I have been playing this game since the launch and I have never noticed lingering blood stains.

Aluminium tray containing no aluminium

Mirelurk with its shell blown off. I thought it was a bug but apparently it's just a creepy feature that disturbed me more than other forms of gore I've seen in this game.

I killed a Brotherhood of Steel patrol from the other side of the dock at night. (I'm BOS aligned but their patrols are too much fun to not kill)

One of the Knights fell back against a wall and remained upright while he was dead. His light was still pointed in my direction so I thought he was still alive and kept shooting him. As I shot him the light started moving from the impact of the shots which made me even more convinced that he was alive. I used up ridiculous amounts of ammo before I finally approached. The main problem was that crossing the harbour in power armour is a lot of :effort: so I couldn't just gradually approach him during the fight.

This is a good post. More people should post like this.

• Locked thread