Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

1) Gahahahaha oh that's some good stuff

2) Maybe?

3) Goto 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Poise will never be fixed. It's broken by design. But only for the players. Not the enemies.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

There are two separate poise systems: DS1 and DS3.

Players use DS3's, except when using Unfaltering Prayer where you gain DS1 poise.

Enemies use DS1's.

Nobody knows what the DS3 system does.

Any questions?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Tallgeese posted:

Players use DS3's, except when using Unfaltering Prayer where you gain DS1 poise.

Enemies use DS1's.

Any questions?

Yes,

Why didn't headbutting enemies to death come back?

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

RyokoTK posted:

So, your answer for "this zone is tough for a dex build" is to betray everything about your dex build, seems good.

It was my first run through the game and I wanted to try out different weapon types. Rapiers and straight swords are all very well, but I like to change it up sometimes.

Also the dude was having real trouble in that area. I gave him a conctrete suggestion that was other than "git gud".

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.

Tallgeese posted:

*Only when using miracles I thought?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NT Plus posted:

*Only when using miracles I thought?

That's what Unfaltering Prayer is. Casting miracles through the skill and thus having DS1 poise.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Hi thread, I need some help. I'm 25 hours into the game, I got gud and all that, but I'm just kind of completely stalled out and not having fun and I'm sure that I need to tweak something to get things back on track. This is only my second Souls game after Bloodborne, and I've generally been playing it "BB-style," doing a lot of jumping around and not a lot of tanking or shield play.

I'm completely stalled out in the Catacombs of Carthus. I was generally doing fine up until this point and the game is just suddenly handing me my rear end, constantly, consistently. Even the normal skeletons are just beating the poo poo out of me, and when I get to those red-eyed guys with the big scimitar-style blades, I'm just hosed in like two hits. They seem to have endless stamina.

I thus far have played as a Knight with a Sharped Uchigatana, currently +5'ish. The rest of my armor and shield are pretty normal knight things, I have 10 estus flasks (they're +3 from using bone shards), and I'm just getting loving STOMPED. I have a lot of dex, to scale the Uchi, and it's taking me what feels like 6-10 hits to kill any enemy in this area, ESPECIALLY those bigger skeletons who are just flipping around with seemingly endless stamina and stomping me. I'm not having fun at all in spite of loving the game thus far.

I have a zillion other weapons I never use, and I don't do anything with magic. Is this just a horrendously unbalanced area compared to everything that came before it, or is there something I'm missing?

If you want to just clear through the area and get on with your life, get any Strike-based weapon (some good ones are the regular Mace, the Drang Hammers if you've been to the Cathedral, or the Executioner Greatsword). Take it to +3 or so and just dumpster the area (Sharp or Refined infuse it if it increases the AR), most Strike weapons will shatter any and all skeletons in one hit letting you easily finish them off. Don't bother with a Blessed infusion, you deal 20% more damage to undead with a Blessed weapon and they won't revive but the loss of AR isn't worth it really. The way you can tell if they will revive is if they have glowing white eyes, those ones revive so keep an eye out (or just watch for whether you get souls or not, no souls means it's coming back shortly).

Skeletons resist Slash and Thrust as well as all elements and can't be bled or poisoned (I assume), so your Uchi is definitely at a disadvantage. In terms of HP I would recommend around 20 Vigor at this point. Other than that the main things to watch out for are the headless skeletons (when they hold their weapon out in front they will auto-parry you) and the stupid archer ambushes which are just annoying and pretty ignorable.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
:negative: Turns out killing Leonhard early doesn't get you his sick sword. Anyone on Ps4, around SL32 if that matters, wanna drop it for me?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I just rewatched the Dark Souls 2 opening cinematic for the first time since my very first playthrough, after skipping it like a million times on every subsequent character.

Is the plot of DS2 really, honestly that the PC wants to become Hollow and journey to an ancient kingdom because it sounds like a fun challenge to overtake? It's a bit on the nose about why the game exists at all.

(I like DS2 a lot.)

e: Basically Drangleic is the Everest of Darksoulsland: people only go there and fight the tough baddies because they're there.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 7, 2016

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

RyokoTK posted:

I just rewatched the Dark Souls 2 opening cinematic for the first time since my very first playthrough, after skipping it like a million times on every subsequent character.

Is the plot of DS2 really, honestly that the PC wants to become Hollow and journey to an ancient kingdom because it sounds like a fun challenge to overtake? It's a bit on the nose about why the game exists at all.

(I like DS2 a lot.)

e: Basically Drangleic is the Everest of Darksoulsland: people only go there and fight the tough baddies because they're there.

You're cursed, and all you know is that there's supposed to be a cure in Drangleic.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

(I like DS2 a lot.)

Honestly, I'd be down if more RPGs used that as the plot. If Dragon's Dogma 2 ever comes out, that would be perfect for the game's major plot. Seeking glory and fame you go adventure. Then maybe you get weird dragon powers and start to adventure more and meet tons of weirdos and monsters in the process!

But if I recall correctly, Paracelsus is right. You're trying to lift a curse.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

You're cursed, and all you know is that there's supposed to be a cure in Drangleic.

You don't even know that, its literally just where the undead are drawn to and end up.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think you do know that since I remember the forlorn knight of that game mentioning it like you asked him about it

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

ill kick that guys rear end by stabbing him in the feet

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RyokoTK posted:

(I like DS2 a lot.)

When you're undead, you slowly go hollow without souls. If you get souls, you won't turn hollow. Drangleic is known as a place where you can get lots of souls so undead travel there as a last resort. At the start of DS2 you're on the brink of turning hollow, and you slowly climb your way back up to sanity by beating the poo poo out of everything you come across. Or you get mad at something and quit.

DS1 didn't really focus that much on the dilemma of the undead despite it being the driving factor of your journey, so DS2 is basically all about it.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I'm still hoping for a DS2 protagonist/Aldia tagteam match in one of the DLCs.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Laputanmachine posted:

I'm farming covenant items now and I'm really growing tired of these gank squads just chilling at Farron/Irithyll and waiting for watchdogs/faithfuls. 3 dudes all wearing matching armor, having killed all enemies and opened and cleared the way to the boss, just hanging around. Fight clubs are one thing, but this is just cheap. It should also be easily fixable:
I got all my Aldrich stuff done over 2 evenings and I'm Bad At PvP. Be patient, you'd be surprised at the number of hosts who die just to the level itself. If you got pulled in solo, wait a bit to see if backup arrives and then go after the host. And if that doesn't work, then hide around the corner from an archer and smack people with Force when they pass you :v:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Internet Kraken posted:

When you're undead, you slowly go hollow without souls. If you get souls, you won't turn hollow. Drangleic is known as a place where you can get lots of souls so undead travel there as a last resort. At the start of DS2 you're on the brink of turning hollow, and you slowly climb your way back up to sanity by beating the poo poo out of everything you come across. Or you get mad at something and quit.

DS1 didn't really focus that much on the dilemma of the undead despite it being the driving factor of your journey, so DS2 is basically all about it.

And then DS3 drops almost every single thing related to Drangleic, and in fact much of the Hollowing threat is lost too since the player only takes on Hollowing if they want to and it only makes them stronger with no meaningful penalty.

I think DS2 is a fine game with a fine premise, even if the premise strictly was that you're an Undead that exists in a world that has now accepted the Curse as a way of life and is trying to take on more souls and strength to survive it. People turn Hollow if they lose their purpose in life, and it seems like the Bearer's purpose is just to be the biggest badass in Drangleic, and I kinda respect that. The fact is that Dark Souls 2 was made in a world where Dark Souls 1 already existed, and couldn't recapture that magic of exploration and newness and challenge that the original did because it was already out there (and, certainly, DS3 could not capture this either, and didn't). So instead a lot of the framework of the game is that people are going to play DS2 because it exists, and is hard, and so they embraced that and had a lot of stuff to emphasize its difficulty.

I miss Bonfire Ascetics :(

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Ugh, dear WoB person: If I am summoned into your world, please do not run ahead and keep engaging the red who's attacking you. You died when I had him down to the barest sliver of health, and died yourself because you waited to heal and then got offed while doing it.

I had to wait 2 months for this poo poo :mad:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

The fact is that Dark Souls 2 was made in a world where Dark Souls 1 already existed, and couldn't recapture that magic of exploration and newness and challenge that the original did because it was already out there (and, certainly, DS3 could not capture this either, and didn't).

I think that's too harsh. DS3 did a good job of capturing that sense of exploration, certainly better than DS2 -- particularly the first half where you're bouncing around the Undead Settlement, Cathedral of the Deep, Farron's Keep, etc. Peering over most of the world before raising the banner, climbing to the top of Irithyll, finding echoes of Izalith and Ash Lake in the Smouldering Lake, discovering the Untended Graves and realizing what they really are, all really cool stuff. It didn't do anything fundamentally different from DS1, which lessened the impact, but exploration was leagues better than DS2, and finally made me feel like I was playing a real Dark Souls game again.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I meant that more in the sense that Dark Souls 3 is not a "new" game. I mean, it's new in a temporal sense, but it's not exactly unfamiliar territory for people that have played Soulsborne games. For many people, this is the fifth game that has functioned like this, and for those people there's not a lot left that can really surprise you. DS3 has a lot of cool setpieces, I didn't mean it like that, and yeah the world is knitted together really nicely. But, for me at least, the sense of wonder was completely non-existent compared to my first Soulsborne experience (which was Bloodborne, in my case).

I guess my point is that I'm never going to play a Souls game for my first time again, so when I was playing DS3, a lot of my experience was spent reconciling that game with the previous games I had played.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

it's loving complete horseshit that there are no mimic-ladders in this game

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I would have 100% loved being killed by a mimic bonfire. Or a mimic door.

If you got surprised by a mimic once in this game, and this isn't your first Dark Souls game, you deserve everything bad that happens to you.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It is disappointing they didn't do anything new with mimics this time around. Plus the latter half of the game has so many of them it gets pretty ridiculous.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it feels like half of the mimics in the whole game are in irithyll dungeon

I want an invasion covenant that turns you into a mimic when you invade

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
A way to invade as mobs that exist in the map would actually be really cool.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Manatee Cannon posted:

it feels like half of the mimics in the whole game are in irithyll dungeon

Pretty much - 13 in the game and 7 of them are between Irithyll of Boreal Valley (with one) and Profaned Capital (with three).

edit: pen15 is censored but peni5 is not.

edit: what the? A hit from a single arrow will reveal a Mimic without waking it. Wait a few seconds, loose another arrow, and repeat the process to kill it in its chest form.

KaiserSchnitzel fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 8, 2016

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

It is disappointing they didn't do anything new with mimics this time around. Plus the latter half of the game has so many of them it gets pretty ridiculous.

The beast mimics hosed me up pretty good. That move where they flip backward and one-shot devour you while you're behind them caught me a couple times.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

re6 did that didn't it

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

that feel when you finally get 2 possess the swamp black knight's body after 23 rounds of being a crab baby

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

that feel when you finally get 2 possess the swamp black knight's body after 23 rounds of being a crab baby

think bigger

momma crab bigger

imagine getting one of them in smoldering lake

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

I thought that the ladder mimic that killed Giligan was pretty cool.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Im going to posess a ghru leaper ans spam the jump and grab.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

The only way a covenant that cool could get into the game is if it were gated behind NG++ SL 1 no deaths no bonfires no damage no summons and behind a hidden wall you get to by being eaten by the third mimic you encounter, but only after you encounter all of them.

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Assume direct control of a grave warden and annihilate entire gank squads.

Harvey Wallbanger
Aug 15, 2009
Bonfire ascetics would probably make me put like 30 more hours into this game. I liked them. Plz DLC bring them back.

Also Drangleic is like, a hallucination that exists in the collective unconscious of all undead on the verge of going hollow or some poo poo, I'm pretty sure...man

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Rigged Death Trap posted:

But then how would they know you're an invader?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SubponticatePoster posted:

But then how would they know you're an invader?

Yes

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Tallgeese posted:

Enemies use DS1's.

Any questions?

This isn't true, I know exactly what DS3 poise does. I will outline it below.