Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Prop Wash posted:

Also you have to charge it on a laptop

You have that backwards - you have to charge it from an outlet.

The real problem with this is that you absolutely should not be bringing a mechanical keyboard to a coffee shop or wherever they expect you to use this. And don't tell me Cherry Brown switches can be typed silently on - that's bullshit. One of the reasons laptop keyboards are so quiet is because they are meant to be used in public without disturbing everyone around you. Using this around other people is just disrespectful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

if it's supposed to be reminiscent of a typewriter they could have at least given it one of those bomb rear end circular key keyboards >: (

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
has kickstarter produced sometime worthwhile, or can I keep ignoring this thread?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The thread about awful kickstarters is the perfect place to ask if there have been any worthwhile kickstarters

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mumpy Puffinz has a history of not understanding what the hell this thread is.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Guys! We're all liars! The SolarRoadway guys proved their concept!
...that solar panels do in fact convert light energy to electricity.

Next step: actually doing the thing with the roads and the heating elements and the cars driving over them and the lights and the holograms or whatever to indicate hazards and...

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

has kickstarter produced sometime worthwhile, or can I keep ignoring this thread?

The Ouya led to the production of this fantastic video.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Gann Jerrod posted:

meh

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Gann Jerrod posted:

Also That Dragon, Cancer, in which you too can experience what it's like being a parent who has a mental breakdown and become an obnoxious born-again Christian after their son dies.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

CJacobs posted:

The thread about awful kickstarters is the perfect place to ask if there have been any worthwhile kickstarters
He's dumb as gently caress and seems to think "kickstarter sucks" is a revelatory bomb to drop in the thread for making fun of kickstarter.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Guy Mann posted:

Also That Dragon, Cancer, in which you too can experience what it's like being a parent who has a mental breakdown and become an obnoxious born-again Christian after their son dies.

Yeah, gently caress grieving parents!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Non Serviam posted:

Yeah, gently caress grieving parents!

And their poison wombs.

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003

Guy Mann posted:

Didn't the guy who made it blame both piracy and youtube for low sales of his game?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

wa27 posted:

You have that backwards - you have to charge it from an outlet.

The real problem with this is that you absolutely should not be bringing a mechanical keyboard to a coffee shop or wherever they expect you to use this. And don't tell me Cherry Brown switches can be typed silently on - that's bullshit. One of the reasons laptop keyboards are so quiet is because they are meant to be used in public without disturbing everyone around you. Using this around other people is just disrespectful.

Oh my mistake right now you have to charge it from an outlet and if you plug it into a laptop it will brick and require a hard reset. I did not understand the depths of how lovely this thing is.

evilcat
May 16, 2009

FlyinPingu posted:

if it's supposed to be reminiscent of a typewriter they could have at least given it one of those bomb rear end circular key keyboards >: (

They already got it funded and you can buy one normally through a regular website if that is your wish, and the name is somewhat as expected from a kickstarter I guess.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Psygnosis posted:

Didn't the guy who made it blame both piracy and youtube for low sales of his game?

Yes.

Funny to think they made a cinematic experience which was 100% narrative with no choice or input from the player, and complain when people just watch it on the internet rather than "play" it. It's less of a game and more barely interactive film, don't know why they were surprised. :shrug:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I wouldn't blame parents of a dead cancer kid to act a bit like dumbasses for a while

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Spaced God posted:

Guys! We're all liars! The SolarRoadway guys proved their concept!
...that solar panels do in fact convert light energy to electricity.

Next step: actually doing the thing with the roads and the heating elements and the cars driving over them and the lights and the holograms or whatever to indicate hazards and...
...and it's still a huge waste of money when you could build a regular solar farm for less which will generate much more electricity because it can have sun tracking and doesn't need a thick protective surface over the panels which gets more and more opaque with time.

Or just put the panels on top of the buildings around the roads instead.

I'm getting a headache from how stupid the whole idea of solar roadways is.

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003

KiddieGrinder posted:

Yes.

Funny to think they made a cinematic experience which was 100% narrative with no choice or input from the player, and complain when people just watch it on the internet rather than "play" it. It's less of a game and more barely interactive film, don't know why they were surprised. :shrug:

I recall looking at what the steam page had and was unimpressed with both the video and the screen shots. It did get a lot of good reviews though.
I just wonder why the creator chose to make a "game" instead of an independent film. I think it would have been received a lot better if they had gone with that route.

There is also a documentary based on the game being released too...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Collateral Damage posted:

...and it's still a huge waste of money when you could build a regular solar farm for less which will generate much more electricity because it can have sun tracking and doesn't need a thick protective surface over the panels which gets more and more opaque with time.

More specifically on how it's stupid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obS6TUVSZds

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Psygnosis posted:

There is also a documentary based on the game being released too...

That Dragon, That Dragon, Cancer

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

More specifically on how it's stupid:
Love his videos. He has three more about solar roadways:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOZBrHqTJk4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-ZSXB3KDF0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjbKYNcmFUw

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

how about a trip down memory lane?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4c0Io6yhGw

I completely forgot remake of Dizzy was going to be a thing at some point.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

laserghost posted:

how about a trip down memory lane?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4c0Io6yhGw

I completely forgot remake of Dizzy was going to be a thing at some point.

Among all those kickstarters only Dizzy was actually something I'd like to see a sequel of. No one should be excited about Boogerman.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Collateral Damage posted:

There's also roofing over all or part of roadways with solar panels up like 25 feet up or so to give enough clearance.
For instance, there's this stretch of freeway in South Korea with a bike path down the cneter (and walled off of course so the cars can't swerve and hit you) that has the bike area roofed over with solar panels:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

There's also roofing over all or part of roadways with solar panels up like 25 feet up or so to give enough clearance.
For instance, there's this stretch of freeway in South Korea with a bike path down the cneter (and walled off of course so the cars can't swerve and hit you) that has the bike area roofed over with solar panels:

Sure, that might be a cheap, reliable way of doing what they're trying to do, but it's just not innovative enough!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KiddieGrinder posted:

Yes.

Yeaaaaaah, its pretty bizarre. I can understand doing it as a way of working through your grief, or as an artistic project. But in either scenario, they should have never expected to see a dollar of profit from it, they should have gone in knowing that it was just a passion project and it wouldn't be commercial.

Thinking that they'd actually make a game about having a baby who dies from cancer and it would sell well in the current market is beyond insane. Banking lots on that and investing your own money in it is even more insane. Even good games often fail and you don't recoup your cost; funding them yourself is really dumb and the fast way to being homeless. But doing that with such an awkward and experimental game idea? (With very little actual gameplay?)

Like, of COURSE everybody's just going to watch it on youtube. Its so obvious. I assumed they were making it all along knowing that'd be the case, and just wanting to do it for cathartic reasons or to show other people artistically what that kind of experience is like. If they were really convinced it'd be a commercial success.... well, I guess grief fucks you up.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mobby_6kl posted:

Sure, that might be a cheap, reliable way of doing what they're trying to do, but it's just not innovative enough!

Just add a few artisanal iPhone-compliant wireless copper balls and it'll revolutionize bike paths ..... forever!

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You could sell a bluetooth copper ball that would do everything a copper ball does but with an app to "activate" the ball or something, it would be marketed as one of those zen experience things.

e: maybe display made up ball stats or share your social ball status

unpacked robinhood has a new favorite as of 19:52 on Jun 7, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeaaaaaah, its pretty bizarre. I can understand doing it as a way of working through your grief, or as an artistic project. But in either scenario, they should have never expected to see a dollar of profit from it, they should have gone in knowing that it was just a passion project and it wouldn't be commercial.

Thinking that they'd actually make a game about having a baby who dies from cancer and it would sell well in the current market is beyond insane. Banking lots on that and investing your own money in it is even more insane. Even good games often fail and you don't recoup your cost; funding them yourself is really dumb and the fast way to being homeless. But doing that with such an awkward and experimental game idea? (With very little actual gameplay?)

Like, of COURSE everybody's just going to watch it on youtube. Its so obvious. I assumed they were making it all along knowing that'd be the case, and just wanting to do it for cathartic reasons or to show other people artistically what that kind of experience is like. If they were really convinced it'd be a commercial success.... well, I guess grief fucks you up.

All this time I thought it was a one-man project by a guy hosed-up on grief; I had no idea it was a whole studio expecting to turn a profit.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

unpacked robinhood posted:

You could sell a bluetooth copper ball that would do everything a copper ball does but with an app to "activate" the ball or something, it would be marketed as one of those zen experience things.

e: maybe display made up ball stats or share your social ball status

make it vibrate

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

BattleMaster posted:

All this time I thought it was a one-man project by a guy hosed-up on grief; I had no idea it was a whole studio expecting to turn a profit.

He was still in charge, which is why the game was so delayed and over-budget; after the kid died he just kept scrapping and redoing months of work because one day he would wake up and feel like the existing level wasn't a good enough tribute to his dead kid, and rather than taking time off to deal with the loss he became obsessed with the game because somebody at his church had a vision that his son would change the world and he became convinced that the game was how that would happen.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BattleMaster posted:

I think "a whole studio expecting a profit" is going too far. The impression I get is that its a team of like 5 indie guys.

They weren't expecting millions, but they were expecting to recoup the costs of development. But even that was pie-in-the-sky thinking for that type of game.

http://www.thatdragoncancer.com/our-team/

Yeah its like 6 core dudes and like 3 other people helped them out at some point. Not really a "studio" in the traditional sense, more a team.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
It's a Key kinetic novel only with a dead baby instead of a cute robot girl. (Also dead.) So, a book with some pictures and music.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I think "a whole studio expecting a profit" is going too far. The impression I get is that its a team of like 5 indie guys.

They weren't expecting millions, but they were expecting to recoup the costs of development. But even that was pie-in-the-sky thinking for that type of game.

http://www.thatdragoncancer.com/our-team/

Yeah its like 6 core dudes and like 3 other people helped them out at some point. Not really a "studio" in the traditional sense, more a team.

http://www.thatdragoncancer.com/our-family/
I wonder who those kids blonde dad is

that lady on the "our team" page looks like a brunette amy's baking company lady (who is probably named amy???)

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
6 people sounds pretty big for an indie team, especially to make a visual novel, right ?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

unpacked robinhood posted:

6 people sounds pretty big for an indie team, especially to make a visual novel, right ?

Hell no. Videogames are unbelievable work. Big teams are 50-200 people. Hell, these days that's more of 'medium'. Some major AAA companies have thousands of employees. 6 people is typical indie team size, even "small" compared to indie teams that make halfway good games.

Its also not really a visual novel. Maybe you didn't look into it, people are calling it that because the gameplay was so extremely simple; but it was a fully 3D game.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You made me search this game on YouTube and the first result is some rear end in a top hat with green hair called septicguy who may be the worst person on this internet.

The game is indeed 3d

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

€120 for an ice box and 120mm fan that if you are lucky can drop the room temperature 3℃.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MrMoo posted:

€120 for an ice box and 120mm fan that if you are lucky can drop the room temperature 3℃.

Has anyone ever heard of a single one of these besides maybe Business Insider and the Weather Channel