Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Weren't the 840's a FW update fix to make them work fine anyway?

Been running Raid-0 850 EVO's 2x500G for a few months now and have had no issues at all.

Previous to that I had 2 Plextor M3P's 2x128G which were plenty fast and feel about the same as the EVO's really, but they got way to small for my main install drive. Need to find them a good home as they are "old" now, but still perfectly serviceable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
840s were two firmware updates that didn't fix poo poo, followed by a special function in the magician software to periodically move old data around as a background process so that their voltage drift never has to be accounted for, thus sidestepping the problem of the defective voltage drift algorithm in the first place.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

PerrineClostermann posted:

I still haven't noticed this issue in my 840 :shrug:

I have several of them, haven't noticed this either.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

SwissArmyDruid posted:

840s were two firmware updates that didn't fix poo poo, followed by a special function in the magician software to periodically move old data around as a background process so that their voltage drift never has to be accounted for, thus sidestepping the problem of the defective voltage drift algorithm in the first place.

Well, the obvious "Spare no expense" option then is the Intel 750. Never worry about thermal throttling there, either!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The only thing I took away from that presentation is that maybe AMD crapbooks won't be crap*.

edit: *starting next year.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 1, 2016

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I took away that and that Zen won't be readily available until next year.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

havenwaters posted:

I took away that and that Zen won't be readily available until next year.

To be fair I think AMD had already been signalling pretty clearly that Zen won't be readily available until next year.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

you're looking at a paper launch at best in october, actual volume sales in December at the earliest

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Yuup. They as good as said that during some sort of conference several months ago.

That we haven't seen detailed shots and info. on AM4 mobo's is also not a good sign for decent volume at year end.

They were probably just holding up a mechanical demo piece on stage.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

So $200 RX 480's look exciting.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Don't. It's a little short of $250 for the 8 GB version. That other price is for the 4 GB one.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Don't. It's a little short of $250 for the 8 GB version. That other price is for the 4 GB one.

Is 4GB of RAM a limitation for a GPU in the same speed ballpark as 290/390 GTX 970/980? When AMD put 8GB on the 390 reviewers remarked it was unnecessary.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
For less than 4K resolution its probably not a big deal but the expectation is in the future games will use lots more VRAM due to console-itis so it could be an issue in a couple of years.

The 8GB pricing is supposedly around $230-250 FWIW.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Zens next appearance is going to be an hour and thirty minute presentation in August at Hotchips.

Guess this will be the actual demo[s], breakdown of the µarch and any partnerships, etc.

EDIT: Also durr, almost forgot, AM4 does not use chipsets, all logic is on-die. So super cheap motherboards? plenty of space for OEMs to insert their own chipsets to enhance AM4 capabilities? Yay death to x60, x70 and x90 chipsets?

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 2, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Well, Intel just did the same thing with moving all the logic on-die with low-power Broadwell and Skylake, with an eventual top-to-bottom elimination of the PCH and FIVR integration by Cannonlake, so.... :shrug:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

AMD did mention they wanted this to be a thin and light mobile solution as well but looking at the die shot, in the hell is that supposed to happen?

Also, could they laser out a quad and drop in a equal in size iGPU? Not cut in half but cut out?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
In theory I'm sure there are ways to do it but reality it'd be too expensive to even consider since you'd have to do a MCM or interposer of some sort.

The thin n' light Zen's are probably going to be APU's and the die shots we've seen are probably for the desktop or server only versions which are supposed to be launching first. APU Zens are coming in 2017 I believe. Probably middle of the year but early on would be better.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FaustianQ posted:

AMD did mention they wanted this to be a thin and light mobile solution as well but looking at the die shot, in the hell is that supposed to happen?

Also, could they laser out a quad and drop in a equal in size iGPU? Not cut in half but cut out?

I am expecting this to become their standard practice moving forward past Zen. Which means you don't shoot for whole CPUs without any defects and bin downwards, you opt to maximize the number of parts-per-die and build clusters of 4 cores instead. Then you take like, four or six or eight clusters and bind them together to get your server parts. Two perfect clusters and glue them together with an interposer represents your top-end desktop part. Two slightly-less good clusters is your mid-range. Two clusters that aren't stable unless you give it extra voltage are your low end part. One Zen cluster and a Radeon cluster makes your APUs, and so forth.

It's the only way that I can rationalize the NUMA 4+4 layout of the Zen die shot.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Speaking of AM4! AM4 OEM motherboard for HP.

DDR4, seems to be 4+2 VRMs, display outputs, and GLORIOUS AMD RETENTION MECHANISM REMAINS (meaning a confirmation on µPGA).

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

That's a pga chip isn't it? Seems a little anachronistic to me.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Digitimes reports that we're looking more at early 2017 for Zen.

WELP LOOKS LIKE I'M NOT BUILDING A NEW COMPUTER THIS YEAR EITHER

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Digitimes reports that we're looking more at early 2017 for Zen.

WELP LOOKS LIKE I'M NOT BUILDING A NEW COMPUTER THIS YEAR EITHER

It's like waiting for cube world.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 7, 2016

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

wipeout posted:

It's like waiting for Star Citizen.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

wipeout posted:

It's like waiting for Platform Masters.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Backside of a Zen (AM4) CPU.

1331 µPGA insanity confirmed :kheldragar:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

oh my goooooooooooood :byodood:

what gauge mechanical pencil do i have to use to repair this incoming pinwreck

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

How often do you guys bend pins?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

EdEddnEddy posted:

How often do you guys bend pins?

No poo poo. I insert the processor and never touch it again.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
It's a lot harder to accidentally bend pins on a CPU (as opposed to the socket) in the first place, and even if you do - also a lot easier to un-bend them. Not sure why they thought these fragile and inconvenient sockets are a good idea.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
This has nothing to do with bent pins, but I encountered the first CPU failure I have ever seen (in 20 years of building and fixing computers) the other day. A person was selling a PC case with a motherboard, RAM, CPU, PSU, and graphics card. The motherboard was an older ASUS Nforce AM2 unit with a Phenom CPU. The seller said the system didn't boot, so he was selling the whole bunch for $10. I removed one DIMM and the computer still wouldn't boot. I moved that DIMM to the other channel, and the computer booted right up. The machine would boot with two DIMMs on one channel, but would not boot if a DIMM was present in either of the other two DIMM slots. I updated the BIOS and installed an AM3 Athlon II x2 I had laying around, and the computer was then able to run in dual channel mode.

Nothing too crazy, other than the fact that I have personally never seen an on-die memory controller fail. The machine is still so old as to be nearly worthless.

Secondhand availability of AM4 chips will be negatively effected because lazy ebay sellers won't package the chips properly, and they will be damaged in transit.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Outside of display motherboards, bending pins on either seems like something rather clumsy to do. I can see some random kid who doesn't know anything he is doing maybe bending some things, but for any of us who have the interest in building our own pcs, and investing the money to do so, would keep the cpu's in either the socket or board, and for intel boards, either with a cpu in it, or the socket cover installed.

The hardest thing of pretty much any build these days outside of messing with a custom loop, is hiding the extra PSU cables when you're not using a modular PSU.

^^ I wish I could find some golden deals like that more often. Rarely unless you had a major voltage spike or spill something on a comp, will it be unfixable and even with wonky little issues like that, you can take an old rig like that and put it to use somewhere. (Workstation, light web browsing, HTPC, NAS, etc.)

I haven't gotten to mess with an AMD system in years now. The last was an older 6 core FX build that was rather ok, but the family I sold it too got crypto locker the first time and some other incapacitating virus infection a 2nd time.

Finally DD-WRT + Pixelserved their router and so far it's been quite from them since. gently caress infected ads.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 8, 2016

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

When I was in college and went from air cooled to watercooled the old heatsink was really stuck on ended up pulling the CPU out of the socket while it was still locked and bent a bunch of pins. Got a screwdriver for glasses out and ended up getting them bent back. I have no idea how arctic silver is that sticky.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I'm kind of excited because 1331 pins kind of points to quad channel capability, and I'd like to go full retarded on a Zen APU solution.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

lDDQD posted:

Not sure why they thought these fragile and inconvenient sockets are a good idea.

On the off chance you gently caress up and bend a pin, and then you break something while trying to fix it, it's a lot nice to replace a $70 motherboard instead of a $300 CPU.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Paul MaudDib posted:

On the off chance you gently caress up and bend a pin, and then you break something while trying to fix it, it's a lot nice to replace a $70 motherboard instead of a $300 CPU.

Unless you're doing a Celeron / Pentium based NAS and have a $50 CPU and $300 mobo.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Working on a new CPU, would it be completely out of the question to get some Warranty help with a pin screwup?

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist

FaustianQ posted:

Zens next appearance is going to be an hour and thirty minute presentation in August at Hotchips.

Guess this will be the actual demo[s], breakdown of the µarch and any partnerships, etc.

It's actually just 30 minutes. The session (3 talks) is 90. It's the very last talk of the two day conference. The detail in Hotchips papers is usually quite high. However, it's probably focused on the microarch of the core and not what SoCs they're making out of it. So we'll get to see how it stacks up to Skylake (which has a talk right before it) core-for-core.

Some other good stuff in there, including a talk on a new vector architecture(!) from ARM and a deep dive on Pascal.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Man, just found this thread as I'd heard rumours amd might have good things coming up.

So I read like the first few pages and was getting really stoked regarding bulldozer

Then I noticed. 2011. :(

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Captain Hair posted:

Man, just found this thread as I'd heard rumours amd might have good things coming up.

So I read like the first few pages and was getting really stoked regarding bulldozer

Then I noticed. 2011. :(

Zen might be decent, though. Something with Big Haswell performance for a reasonable price would sell some units.

And AMD's Jaguar-based offering aren't entirely terrible, they make a nice server or HTPC or whatever. Can't argue with a motherboard/CPU combo for $40 + tax, you can put an entire PC together for $150 at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Is it too much to hold for Haswell-E performance as opposed to just Has well at least?

• Locked thread