Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Not Operator posted:

Its a bad movie, but anyone comparing it to Battlefield Earth needs to rewatch Battlefield Earth.

Guys and girls, please don't do this. The dutch angles alone are known to kill people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003
yeah, that's one of those movies that's so literally hard to watch that i can't even sit through it to see how bad it really is.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Saw it just an hour ago.

It felt like they actually had too -few- references, the subtle or background kind, anyway. There's a ton of spells thrown around, that can't really be described as anything from the games, for starters.

I would've liked some use of the old music, both WoW and strategy scores. There's some really good stuff in there - they even used a track from the original WoW when the movie was over!

I had trouble keeping up with who was who, and who was talking during the human scenes, as everyone looked the same and everyone seemed to be in their thirties.

Scene transitions were odd - sometimes they cut from what felt like mid-sentence, sometimes they had overly long establishing shots, while other scenes left you guessing where everyone's at.

Overall, I found the scenes featuring nothing but orcs more enjoyable, as the story was clear cut, at least, but the movie as a whole was a disjointed bit of a bore.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Grom Hellscream was the only game cameo done right.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
They don't use any of the music from the games? That's a shame. Say what you will about World of Warcraft, the scores are always top notch.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Burning Crusade login screen track was loving killer at the time. I know because you were loving staring at that thing for days when the expansion released due to the login queues.

EDIT:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRrJWteo_SE

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Phylodox posted:

They don't use any of the music from the games? That's a shame. Say what you will about World of Warcraft, the scores are always top notch.

The main score's actually fairly good, but it's forgettable filler for the most part.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

THE BAR posted:

The main score's actually fairly good, but it's forgettable filler for the most part.

True, Warcraft 3 at least had the Orcs theme and all the CGI movie tracks going for it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

THE BAR posted:

I just listened to the first track on the album. It's...not terrible? I'm just flabbergasted that they wouldn't use the already outstanding, iconic themes they've already established.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Phylodox posted:

I just listened to the first track on the album. It's...not terrible? I'm just flabbergasted that they wouldn't use the already outstanding, iconic themes they've already established.

What iconic themes? The themes from The Frozen Throne are ok but some themes from Reign of Chaos (Undead theme oh my god) are just terribad.

However, this music track was the weirdest thing about the WC3 map editor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpB_prsrZQA

EDIT: All of the WoW background tracks are super memorable and recognizable when you actually hear them but that's only because you spent so much time playing with them in the background.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 7, 2016

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

MiddleOne posted:

What iconic themes? The themes from The Frozen Throne are ok but some themes from Reign of Chaos (Undead theme oh my god) are just terribad.

To be fair, I'm talking about the soundtracks to World of Warcraft and its expansions. I guess they're only iconic if you've played the games, but that's the movie's main audience, isn't it?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Phylodox posted:

To be fair, I'm talking about the soundtracks to World of Warcraft and its expansions. I guess they're only iconic if you've played the games, but that's the movie's main audience, isn't it?

This is why it was stupid for the movie to go into Warcraft 1 lore of all things. If they had done Wc3 or WoW no one would have cared about the movies faults.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Phylodox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9J1DAqxSkE

I missed seeing ogres, too.

MiddleOne posted:

EDIT: All of the WoW backgruond tracks are super memorable and recognizable when you actually hear them but that's only because you spent so much time playing with them in the background.

The original theme had more than enough oomph behind it, a reimagining or simply reusing it would've fit perfectly well for the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=732GFnjKTuM

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

THE BAR posted:

The original theme had more than enough oomph behind it, a reimagining or simply reusing it would've fit perfectly well for the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=732GFnjKTuM

True, but no one did that. :(

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Phylodox posted:

Definitely not

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I did like how they made Gul'dan look like a kitty cat :3:.

E:

His design and animation was enjoyable to me. Even though his story is completely neutered, compared to what the Warcraft 2 manual told us.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 7, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hat Thoughts posted:

Definitely not

Yeah really, I played both WC3, TFT and WoW and I barely have a loving idea what is going on in the movie. Like Doomharmmer, I know what that is. Gul'dan the same. Everything else? Eeeeeeh...

THE BAR posted:

His design and animation was enjoyable to me. Even though his story is completely neutered, compared to what the Warcraft 2 manual told us.

In Warcraft 3 TFT he is portrayed as a brittle old warlock with incredible power. In the movie he's straight up a villain from DBZ. :sigh:

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 7, 2016

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

In Warcraft 3 TFT he is portrayed as a brittle old warlock with incredible power. In the movie he's straight up a villain from DBZ. :sigh:

I can buy fel powers giving him extra strength.

He's still not as strong as the other orcs, as he had to cheat.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Josh Lyman posted:

Just want to say you're complaining about leveling and story mode which literally nobody does. Leveling is basically a tutorial period to learn the abilities of each class, and the real game doesn't even begin until you're level 70, can allocate paragon levels, and play adventure mode.

dear lawd do i hate this thinking.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

THE BAR posted:

I can buy fel powers giving him extra strength.

He's still not as strong as the other orcs, as he had to cheat.

It's just kinda lame. You have this really cool warlocky design going with the hunch, the cape and the impractical bones and then it turns out that they're really sticking out from him because he's a corrupted demon-monster? Kinda underwhelming.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I can honestly say, that the movie was better than the Hobbit films.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That's true. For all it's fault, it really proves how lazy the hobbit movies were, especially the last one.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I mean, at least I didn't fall asleep this time.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

More than I can say for the last WoW expansion I played.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You fell asleep while playing a video game? Was it so engrossing, that you lost the night to it?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

THE BAR posted:

You fell asleep while playing a video game? Was it so engrossing, that you lost the night to it?

The second time I fell asleep during a Naxxramas raid fighting Patchwerk in Wrath of the Lich King was the last time I played the game. I wish I was joking.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

The second time I fell asleep during a Naxxramas raid fighting Patchwerk in Wrath of the Lich King was the last time I played the game. I wish I was joking.

My cousin once fell asleep playing Diablo 2, just as it was released. Woke everyone up by slamming his face into the keyboard.

I had blissfully forgotten about Patchwerk, man, what a pointless fight. Not even being a tank helped with that.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Werk almost sounds like värk which is pain in swedish so at least it is accurate. :sweden:

I had a lot of fun playing healer in TBC, playing DPS in Wotlk sucked.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Just got back from seeing it. I think the extremely negative reviews like the Battlefield Earth ones are clickbait but it's not good.

The biggest issue i had was that there didn't seem to be a point to the story. It's all just setup for the sequels. Apart from Gul'dan who wanted to open the portal it didn't feel like any other of the storylines had a goal or achieved anything. Durotan wanted to make an alliance with the humans but after Orgrim betrays him all the Frostwolves are killed and Gul'dan kills him. His entire plotline was just there to have the baby Thrall moses scene in the credits. The humans sort of just wandered around from place to place complaining about the orcs. I didn't really feel like they had a goal. In the end they just wandered into the orcs camp and died. Medivh got corrupted and Lothar and Khadgar killed him but that felt more like stamping out a fire than a victory. Garona took responsibility for killing Llane so she could become a sleeper agent in the horde, again it's just setup for the next film. I guess they were going for a Empire Strikes Back style ending that sets it up for the next film, but you're meant to have that at the end of the second film. If you do it with the first it just seems hollow and pointless.

Another big problem is they didn't have much of the world in it. For how much jumping between locations there was it felt surprisingly claustrophobic. There were a few establishing shots of cities and mountainsides etc. but all the scenes took place indoors or on an obvious soundstage in front of a couple of plants. The orcs got a few outdoors shots since it was CG but nearly all the scenes with humans in it took place in windowless rooms or in front of really fake looking bushes. The world is the biggest draw and should be front and centre. Again, comparing it to LOTR you got a real sense that people were travelling through a world. I got no sense of that from this movie.

Also, special mention to Travis Fimmel for being horrible. I don't know what his deal was. He spent half the movie doing a Jack Sparrow impression and the other half looking bored and uninterested in what was going on. It's like he was playing it as what he thought a 14 year old would find cool. He was the most obnoxious part of the movie and i hated every scene he was in. Terrible main character.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Travis Fimmel looks to be the worst part and I haven't even seen it yet. He's garbage. Vikings must be successful despite him.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CJ posted:

Another big problem is they didn't have much of the world in it. For how much jumping between locations there was it felt surprisingly claustrophobic. There were a few establishing shots of cities and mountainsides etc. but all the scenes took place indoors or on an obvious soundstage in front of a couple of plants. The orcs got a few outdoors shots since it was CG but nearly all the scenes with humans in it took place in windowless rooms or in front of really fake looking bushes. The world is the biggest draw and should be front and centre. Again, comparing it to LOTR you got a real sense that people were travelling through a world. I got no sense of that from this movie.

That's a good point. The movie is long as hell and yet it shows almost nothing when compared to something like the first Lord of the Rings movie.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Travis Fimmel looks to be the worst part and I haven't even seen it yet. He's garbage. Vikings must be successful despite him.

I had to look him up to see what he played as. He looked so bloody disinterested through the entire thing.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Vintersorg posted:

When this screencap was making the round i thought this was just a funny freezeframe that made him look silly. It's not, this is how he is through the whole movie.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Oh yeah, also the direction in the action scenes was poo poo. The fight with Medivh was ok apart from the look of the golem made of clay, but all the battle scenes consisted of extras fighting in the background while the main characters would stand there and watch. Once it's pointed out it will drive you crazy. And i don't mean like they just got done killing someone so they are trying to get their bearings, they just stand there doing nothing while their troops are getting slaughtered.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CJ posted:

Once it's pointed out it will drive you crazy.

Dang, maybe I should have avoided this thread until I actually saw the movie. :(

Another "once it's pointed out it will drive you crazy" thing that's already bugging me is they re-use the same models for background characters over and over and over. There's one orc with a big red tattoo on his shoulder and a helmet with steer horns with red ribbon wrapped around one horn and in some screen shots they've copy/pasted him 4 or 5 times.

Edit:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 7, 2016

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Phylodox posted:

awwww man, a modern version of this would or even the first 4 bars have been worth the price of admission alone. (cause from what ive been reading Im not getting that from the movie)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1QJXxhJ2gE

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That's cannon, all orcs look the same unless it's a Metzen insert or story relevant character.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

THE BAR posted:

years ago my brother fell asleep playing some dungeon in wow since it went late into the night. he then woke up in his computer chair and went straight to school.

i'm still confused why there are non green orcs. i only played until 3 and green are normal orcs and red are "fel" orcs. someone explain the definitely stupid retcon that explains the white orcs.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Orcs are naturally brown but turn green if they drink Mannoroth's demon blood and become corrupted and turn Red if they drink even more and become super corrupted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

gently caress metzen.

• Locked thread