Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I kind of "get" snapchat. Its original gimmick was that the messages aren't saved; but now that it saturated the market, its continuing value has more to do with its face filters and people/organizations building their brand by "broadcasting" their daily or live messages.

I was skeptical of snapchat like everyone else. Then again, I thought Twitter was dumb. (I still think it's dumb but for totally different reasons now.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

El Pato posted:

I like how you can uncheck "middle out compression". Wouldn´t that be just a regular compression?
Yeah, I guess if you uncheck that you're just transcoding loldongs.mov from one video codec / file format to another. Which might make your file smaller if you fiddle with the settings in the right way but probably also lose you some picture or audio quality.

The whole point of middle out is that it's a magic thing PP invented that you can do to all kinds of files to make them smaller without losing quality. That's why that whole interface should just be a big red button that says COMPRESS ALL MY poo poo.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 7, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

It's like a "irc for PROFESSIONALS" (because it's marketed as such) so companies don't feel poo poo using such tools because they can spend money on it and there is a "For PRO" stamp on it (and someone to blame if there is a problem).

If Whatsapp is good enough for ISIS it is good enough for a fortune 500 company.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

PostNouveau posted:

Monica's right about Slack. How the gently caress is that $3B?

My company doesn't use it, but every single person I know who does use Slack is incredibly happy with it. Really what it comes down to is brand positioning - as an analogy how functionally different are Facebook and LinkedIn? One is marketed as pure social media, the other is social media for professionals - there is a ton of overlap, but they position themselves differently enough that the similarities are almost irrelevant.

I'd kill to sell Slack, frankly (I work in IT sales).

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

MiddleOne posted:

If Whatsapp gets sold at 19 billion to a company that already has the exact same service then anything is possible.

There are many countries in the world where WhatsApp basically replaced all other text messaging services, they're paying for the client base.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Echo Chamber posted:

I kind of "get" snapchat. Its original gimmick was that the messages aren't saved; but now that it saturated the market, its continuing value has more to do with its face filters and people/organizations building their brand by "broadcasting" their daily or live messages.

I was skeptical of snapchat like everyone else. Then again, I thought Twitter was dumb. (I still think it's dumb but for totally different reasons now.)

The fun part is that Snapchat actually saves everything. In general, once something is in the "cloud" it is nearly impossible to actually delete it. The celebrity nudes that leaked a while ago were supposedly "deleted" from Apple's servers, and Ashley Madison had an option where you paid them to "permanently delete" your profile.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Couldn't help but think of this show while reading this article: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/06/nests-time-at-alphabet-a-virtually-unlimited-budget-with-no-results/

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Echo Chamber posted:

Then again, I thought Twitter was dumb. (I still think it's dumb but for totally different reasons now.)

H.L. Mencken posted:

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

El Pato posted:

I like how you can uncheck "middle out compression". Wouldn´t that be just a regular compression?

It's radio button, not a checkbox. Typically you always need to select one radio button in a list and it's a list of one.

So, essentially, you can't deselect "middle out compression" and the setting is useless. But it's a completely engineer way to design an interface "No, there aren't other options for compression, but it's a setting in the engine so it must be represented on the settings page!"

That's one of the subtle things I love about that screenshot.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Isn't Snapchat the sexting app? That's all anyone I know who uses it uses it for. Self-destructing dirty pics.

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

Accretionist posted:

Isn't Snapchat the sexting app? That's all anyone I know who uses it uses it for. Self-destructing dirty pics.

It's mostly for putting moustaches on your face in real-time.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Accretionist posted:

How old are you? I'm genuinely asking that. From what I've seen older people seem to only think of snapchat as a sext app, but younger people use it as a primary means of communication.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Uh, intermediate with mostly older co-workers. And I only know a few people who use snapchat.

Apparently consistent with your observations!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

There are many countries in the world where WhatsApp basically replaced all other text messaging services, they're paying for the client base.

A client base that is worthless under the whatsapp service! Facebook Messenger is a money sink for similiar reasons but that service at least has a network externality effect with Facebook itself which can lead to revenue.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Laserface posted:

I know right? its literally IRC in a fancy UI.

same as whatsapp/FB group chats.

I think SnapChat is still the biggest "how is this valuable" app I have come across however.

It's definitely not irc with a fancy ui. It's also not the same as WhatsApp.

If you're only using Slack for chatting and chatrooms, you're not taking full advantage of it. There are countless integrations which can make workflows easier. I'm on my phone so I won't go into it in detail, but checkout Slack integrations and also "ChatOps".

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

bull3964 posted:

It's radio button, not a checkbox. Typically you always need to select one radio button in a list and it's a list of one.

So, essentially, you can't deselect "middle out compression" and the setting is useless. But it's a completely engineer way to design an interface "No, there aren't other options for compression, but it's a setting in the engine so it must be represented on the settings page!"

That's one of the subtle things I love about that screenshot.

I thought so, but look at the Pixel Aspect Ratio section and their are 'unchecked' radio buttons, so I think they're just stylized check boxes.

But then at the top, the File Type boxes use the same style!

So yeah, the UI sucks.

Is the website "canon"? I hope not! Maybe this what the "Neural Net" is meant to solve.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

FrensaGeran posted:

Is Kevin the friend supposed to be some reference to Kevin Smith or am I overthinking this?

You're overthinking it - show is set in Palo Alto, right close to San Jose, home of the Sharks, Gilfoyle is Canadian, if he were to be socializing with some random guy, doing it over hockey seems plausible

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
Was there ever a spotify link with all the great songs this show plays?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
On my phone but if you search there is a Silicon Valley playlist

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

The Dave posted:

How old are you? I'm genuinely asking that. From what I've seen older people seem to only think of snapchat as a sext app, but younger people use it as a primary means of communication.

They pivoted a year or two in. Even the original concept arose from one of the founders wanting to send self-destructing dick pics to a new girlfriend. I remember being surprised at how casually one of my friends was talking about Snapchatting with her mom and siblings.

"Like how Chatroulette started as a way to talk to strangers, and then became a playground for the sexually monstrous."

Toplowtech posted:

It's like a "irc for PROFESSIONALS" (because it's marketed as such) so companies don't feel poo poo using such tools because they can spend money on it and there is a "For PRO" stamp on it (and someone to blame if there is a problem).

This is a huge frustration for me in Biotech. There's a host of powerful, open-source tools that do everything imaginable with sequencing data if you can spend 20 minutes picking up basic Unix commands.

Yet somehow almost every lab in my department is paying $2-5000/per license annual for a commercial program with: less transparency, way less functionality, proprietary file type bullshit, and a GUI.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Avasculous posted:

This is a huge frustration for me in Biotech. There's a host of powerful, open-source tools that do everything imaginable with sequencing data if you can spend 20 minutes picking up basic Unix commands.

Yet somehow almost every lab in my department is paying $2-5000/per license annual for a commercial program with: less transparency, way less functionality, proprietary file type bullshit, and a GUI.
Hrmmm perhaps an easy to use GUI is valuable

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hed posted:

On my phone but if you search there is a Silicon Valley playlist

http://www.what-song.com/Tvshow/12/Silicon-Valley

Has all the songs. Silicon Valley has introduced me to a shitload of obscure songs so for me it works.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Avasculous posted:

lol

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Do those kind of applications ever have an easy to use GUI?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Avasculous posted:

You loving nerd.

Holy poo poo you guys need to get out there and work with real people if you think IRC is acceptable for business in any way.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

TheBlackVegetable posted:

Do those kind of applications ever have an easy to use GUI?
Any GUI is easier to use than Unix command line for the vast majority of people, even in STEM fields.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

bawfuls posted:

I will be honest if Richard manage to have an "advanced user" gui with intact functionalities alongside the new "kitchen sink" gui they will most likely drop on him, he will be lucky.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Guys? I don't have any sort of programming or engineering background. I didn't follow virtually any of the tabs v spaces debate a page ago.

When I say "basic" I mean literally "move to folder where the program is, run program."

Stuff that isn't any harder than figuring out which of the 50 drop-down menus on the visual GUI has the specific tool you're looking for buried in it.

Edit - Honestly I don't think it's about the usability, transparency, or even functionality. If there's a program that costs $5,000 per user annually, it flat out doesn't occur to anyone that there might be an even more powerful option for free. I was guilty of that too until someone rubbed it in my face.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 7, 2016

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Avasculous posted:

When I say "basic" I mean literally "move to folder where the program is, run program."

Thiss is Too Hard for most normies. The command line itself is just too large of a barrier.

Enough time has gone by that typing a command in to tell a computer to" change directory" is completely alien to most people. No one is used to "commanding" operations from a computer (unless it's something like Siri or voice commanded).

Because why would I do that when I can see the directory as a folder right in front of my eyes, ready to be clicked, touched, whatever?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Veskit posted:

Holy poo poo you guys need to get out there and work with real people if you think IRC is acceptable for business in any way.

https://publicintelligence.net/tactical-chat/

Maybe not for *business*...

And yes, smacking someone with a trout will get you in trouble.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

https://publicintelligence.net/tactical-chat/

Maybe not for *business*...

And yes, smacking someone with a trout will get you in trouble.

Lol

This is because everything the military uses is 20 years old and has to communicate over lovely ad hoc comms arrays and networks.

Seriously though it's like you didn't even peruse the article

quote:

An article from January 2012 in the Air Land Sea Bulletin describes the value of tactical chat as an effective and immediate communications method that is highly effective in distributed, intermittent, low bandwidth environments which is particularly important with “large numbers of distributed warfighters” who must “frequently jump onto and off of a network” and coordinate with other coalition partners.  Text chat also provides “persistency in situational understanding between those leaving and those assuming command watch duties” enabling a persistent record of tactical decision making.

The article even says that upgrades have been a long time coming because they know IRC is old as poo poo, but it works so don't fix it.

You think real life silicon valley text startups have poo poo infrastructure that can't handle a decent chat client? Look at slacks integrations if you're still unclear.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 8, 2016

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

The Dave posted:

Pretty much everyone in the 18-30 age bracket that I know uses it publicly to essentially attach a face snap to a short text message. It adds some personality to the conversation. People can send coy/teasing snaps that aren't outright scandalous and not have to worry about people saving them. The other reason I think its popular is because its much more like having a real conversation, where you don't have a visual record of every word and facial expression, they're transient experiences and part of the charm. Now in private its still used for inappropriate pictures.

Ive gotten to the point where small talk conversations are exclusively snap, event planning is text, and any ongoing continuous conversations jump between the two while being mostly text.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

It's definitely not irc with a fancy ui. It's also not the same as WhatsApp.

If you're only using Slack for chatting and chatrooms, you're not taking full advantage of it. There are countless integrations which can make workflows easier. I'm on my phone so I won't go into it in detail, but checkout Slack integrations and also "ChatOps".

Yeah these applications that allow you to have 'rooms' to 'chat' in are nothing at all like IRC.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Laserface posted:

Yeah these applications that allow you to have 'rooms' to 'chat' in are nothing at all like IRC.

I guess you missed the part where I said

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

If you're only using Slack for chatting and chatrooms, you're not taking full advantage of it.

Seriously though saying IRC is like Slack because it has chat rooms is like saying your Air Hogs RC toy is the same as the Mars Rover because they both have wheels.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 8, 2016

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I guess you missed the part where I said

Seriously though saying IRC is like Slack because it has chat rooms is like saying your Air Hogs RC toy is the same as the Mars Rover because they both have wheels.

As someone who has never used Slack, I'm genuinely curious: what else can it do that makes it so revolutionary?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

As someone who has never used Slack, I'm genuinely curious: what else can it do that makes it so revolutionary?

It has a huge integration library and it's easy write new integrations. Integrations are basically connections that allow you to interact with other applications that you already use such as monitoring and alerting apps, deployment apps, even source control such as github.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well you can basically integrate anything with it to pull or push information to/from another service. Also for our company, when it came out, the mobile app was 1000000x times nicer than skype's.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Slack is cool for collaboration purposes which is pretty important for business groups. And the integrations are pretty neat. I can think of ton of things that would be better or more convenient in Slack. poo poo, having one application that all my communication is being done out of sounds pretty sweet. I wish I could get my team on it, but my company wouldn't allow it.

Also, I realized has struggled at times to remind us that the team at Pied Piper are actually fairly brilliant at what they are doing. The last few episodes have done a decent job of it though (probably why people didn't hate Richard as much in the past episode).

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

my company still uses AIM for any in-office communication that's too short or immediate to be sent in an email

hell, it works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Seriously though it's like you didn't even peruse the article

I never said it was a *bad* system - just that the military's been using IRC for years.

• Locked thread