Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Everything about Returns is just slightly off. The actors seem torn between acting the characters their way and doing an impersonation of the Reeves films, and the directing is the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Everything about Returns is just slightly off. The actors seem torn between acting the characters their way and doing an impersonation of the Reeves films, and the directing is the same.

Singer has spoken of his issues with his father in the past. He latched onto Richard Donner as his father figure and when the time came he made his Superman film, a love letter to the Donner films. It's also rumored that Donner didn't like the film which crushed Singer for a time.

And I think we can all agree that SR might have been much better had Singer not forced Routh to play Christoper Reeve playing Clark and Superman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kevin Spacey doing the wacky real estates schemes version of Luthor was a loving waste of a great actor.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Seriously, if Spacey played Luthor with the same kind of intensity that he plays Frank Underwood on House of Cards it would have been the definitive version of the character

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Returns is one of the most disappointing comic movies of all time because it had everything going for it, and it was ruined by some really dumb, completely unnecessary decisions.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ToastyPotato posted:

Returns is one of the most disappointing comic movies of all time because it had everything going for it, and it was ruined by some really dumb, completely unnecessary decisions.

Bryan Singer's daddy issues.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dacap posted:

Seriously, if Spacey played Luthor with the same kind of intensity that he plays Frank Underwood on House of Cards it would have been the definitive version of the character

It would also basically be the John Byrne/modern Lex, which is always what I hoped we'd get from Spacey.

The closest we got was the handful of moments where either the camp elements line up with his natural tendencies, or when he's allowed to play the character more straight. Things like the scene where he tells Parker Posey the story of Prometheus, or when he stabs Superman with a kryptonite knife or the amazing cheese when he's taunting Lois.

Although that stabbing scene is hurt by the fact that it's more of Singer desperately going "SUPERMAN IS LIKE JESUS! DO YOU GET IT YET?!"

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jun 7, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Making Superman a Jesus allegory in movies should be a federal crime. It's so over done. Yes it exists in the comics, but the films put way to much emphasis on it.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Yeah what the poo poo it's clearly a Moses analogy anyway.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Mortanis posted:

Yeah what the poo poo it's clearly a Moses analogy anyway.

I think he's the Messiah, just the real one not that weird rabbi the Romans killed for some reason.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

greatn posted:

I think he's the Messiah, just the real one not that weird rabbi the Romans killed for some reason.

He was a very naughty boy

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Superman was created by two nice Jewish kids so I discard any Jesus analogy. I will however accept a Moses leadership crossed with Sampson's strength analogy (and even equate hair to kryptonite for that purpose).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Superman never struck me as much of a leadership figure in the golden age. He was just the tough older brother who'd come kick people's rear end when someone crossed the line.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I forget, in what part of the bible do they detail where his cousin, horse, cat, dog and a monkey also resurrect?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rhyno posted:

I forget, in what part of the bible do they detail where his cousin, horse, cat, dog and a monkey also resurrect?

I believe that's in The Gospel According to these Weird Mushrooms I Found. It's in the Apocrypha.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Rhyno posted:

I was gonna ask what part of the bible does the cousin and the horse get freakay together.

Then I remembered song of Solomon.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vixen is being added to Legends season 2, but she won't be played by the same actress who did the cartoon voice and appeared on Arrow, due to other commitments.

They're not recasting the character though, instead she'll be an ancestor of the present Vixen who had the animal totem powers before her. Time travel and such.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
That's so dumb, unless they're keeping the "current" role open because her actress is just begging for more guest appearances, in which case... it's still dumb

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TwoPair posted:

That's so dumb, unless they're keeping the "current" role open because her actress is just begging for more guest appearances, in which case... it's still dumb

They're doing a season 2 of the cartoon short.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

twistedmentat posted:

Making Superman a Jesus allegory in movies should be a federal crime. It's so over done. Yes it exists in the comics, but the films put way to much emphasis on it.

Take a shot every time someone says God in BVS.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Conversely, having heroes from different times makes sense and is something they should have done from the beginning

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, they kind of did with Hawkman right? Just the same actor.

And they did have future Green Arrow.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Well I mean for the core team. It seemed odd when you have all of time to recruit from and you're like "well poo poo I'm almost out of time gas, where are we? March 2016? Ok I guess I'll scrounge up some people from here."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Have they said if Hourman is a permanent new cast member?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bruceski posted:

I believe that's in The Gospel According to these Weird Mushrooms I Found. It's in the Apocrypha.

The Gospel According to these Weird Mushrooms I Found isn't in the Apocrypha, it's in the main one, they just re-titled it Revalations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Mad Dog will appear in the next season of Arrow. I hope he kills Arrow and becomes the main character.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Madkal posted:

Mad Dog will appear in the next season of Arrow. I hope he kills Arrow and becomes the main character.

Love that guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebFFSOkwsFU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Oops. Meant Wild Dog. As a Wild Dog fan I am embarrassed by my mistake.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Oh man I hope they realize the massive levels of :ironicat: over having a hockey mask vigilante on the show where the star actor just played a hockey mask vigilante in a movie.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Scyantific posted:

Oh man I hope they realize the massive levels of :ironicat: over having a hockey mask vigilante on the show where the star actor just played a hockey mask vigilante in a movie.

I promise you they did it on purpose.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Going to be weird seeing Ben from Reaper as Wild Dog.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Madkal posted:

Oops. Meant Wild Dog. As a Wild Dog fan I am embarrassed by my mistake.

Ideally it wouldn't be the comics character Wild Dog, but Wild Dog from Time Crisis. He could blow himself up at the end of every episode he's in, then come back no worse for wear the following week.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

ToastyPotato posted:

I promise you they did it on purpose.

Dude I doubt Uncle Guggie is capable of such a meta joke like this.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

X-O posted:

Going to be weird seeing Ben from Reaper as Wild Dog.

I... Huh. I really enjoyed him in Reaper but I'm having a hard time picturing him as a dude that's tough enough to be a vigilante.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Scyantific posted:

In the movie Casey is a cop and wears the mask in like one scene so the show might end up more accurate.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I hope they don't mess up his character like Anarky and keep him closer to his comic book counter part (that being a dime-store version of the Punisher).

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Madkal posted:

I hope they don't mess up his character like Anarky and keep him closer to his comic book counter part (that being a dime-store version of the Sportsmaster).

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

At this point I wouldn't trust the writers to tie their shoes properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Legends of Tomorrow has added another JSA member, Nick Zano will be playing Dr Nate Heywood, aka Citizen Steel. Although they're being vague about whether or not he's actually going to have powers.