Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Lady Naga posted:

DOTA prize money is deceptively high since the prize pools have to be split between the players, management, coaches, etc. Not to mention taxes and the fact that these players aren't salaried means that prize money is their only income. I'm not 100% sure it's the same for other esports but I'm almost certain League is the only franchised esport at the time.

If you're talking specifically about PPD, Universe, Aui, Sumail and Fear, that money is what they earned individually. The last TI's 1st prize payout was $6.6 Million, and even with splitting 5 ways that's still ~$1.3 million before taxes and whatnot. There's nothing deceptively high about that. It's just high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Kamikaze Raider posted:

If you're talking specifically about PPD, Universe, Aui, Sumail and Fear, that money is what they earned individually. The last TI's 1st prize payout was $6.6 Million, and even with splitting 5 ways that's still ~$1.3 million before taxes and whatnot. There's nothing deceptively high about that. It's just high.

5 people would only be the players, coaches and other people behind the scenes get that money too. And since DOTA isn't franchised like League that's basically their salary until ESL One.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Had a funny moment today when playing as D.VA and Reinhardt tried to tackle me off the map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmRaeFIUVWs

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

^^ the charge must have hit its max range right before you hit bottom because normally he'll carry you all the way down.

Here's a large partial Zenyatta rework idea:

Harmony orb and Discord orb merged onto one button, you only get to have one orb or the other out at a time. Zen gains a new skill that gives him 3 or so damage shells that each block a single instance of any amount of damage, with 8 second max duration (or until depleted), 12 second cooldown.

Becomes a strong 1v1er, but not much different in a team fight. Makes him very annoying to snipers, pharah and junkrat. Probably wins long range versus mcree. Makes him really good versus junkrat and d va ults. Tracer/Mei/Winston etc still melt him.

The design space for shield skills in this game is kinda busy but I think it could fit.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

resistentialism posted:

^^ the charge must have hit its max range right before you hit bottom because normally he'll carry you all the way down.

Here's a large partial Zenyatta rework idea:

Harmony orb and Discord orb merged onto one button, you only get to have one orb or the other out at a time. Zen gains a new skill that gives him 3 or so damage shells that each block a single instance of any amount of damage, with 8 second max duration (or until depleted), 12 second cooldown.

Becomes a strong 1v1er, but not much different in a team fight. Makes him very annoying to snipers, pharah and junkrat. Probably wins long range versus mcree. Makes him really good versus junkrat and d va ults. Tracer/Mei/Winston etc still melt him.

The design space for shield skills in this game is kinda busy but I think it could fit.

I like the idea but making it so Zen has to actively choose between healing and damage would mean he'd never heal in the vast majority of pub games I feel.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I was thinking it might be neat if the orb was a little bit more powerful if you'd had the other version out for at least a second or two in the very recent past.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lady Naga posted:

5 people would only be the players, coaches and other people behind the scenes get that money too. And since DOTA isn't franchised like League that's basically their salary until ESL One.

They don't get a salary from Valve, but they do get a salary from the team. Well, usually. Some people probably have way shittier contracts than others, but they have sponsors and poo poo; it's not like they starve if they don't win.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

NmareBfly posted:

They don't get a salary from Valve, but they do get a salary from the team. Well, usually. Some people probably have way shittier contracts than others, but they have sponsors and poo poo; they don't starve if they don't win.

For sure, but they're also not living like kings, even the top players. That was really the whole point of contention.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lady Naga posted:

For sure, but they're also not living like kings, even the top players. That was really the whole point of contention.

quote:

Not to mention taxes and the fact that these players aren't salaried means that prize money is their only income.

:confused:

I tried Symmetra on offence a few times last night. It works surprisingly well, but depends on the map -- did it twice on Dorado and was able to just on-foot flank to the right and get sentries up in the hallway just behind the main road -- you can jump up on the inside and stick them to the roof where they'll fire outwards. Then once we were pushing I ran ahead and tried to get sentries down on places before there were fights and it totally stopped the enemy team from mounting a good defense.

I think it works as long as you can keep moving, but if you hit a quagmire she's not great and pushing the thing the last few feet. Wanna try more. Symmetra is the best, imo.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Oh you mean you have to pay a small army built specifically to help you pay videogames? Must not be very rich then :smugdog:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
offensive symmetra was a lot better when her E granted 50 shields :v:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I would just like to reiterate how hosed up Blizzard's hitboxes for projectiles are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UU8jqxAiHQ&t=126s

Yes, you can headshot/bodyshot around corners, this is on top of 20tick servers being extra generous with that .1-.2th of a second you get to shoot your target before they disappear around a corner.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
whoever was talking about the recoil on Fan the Hammer, yeah you can control it by pulling down: the bullet spread will still happen, but the locus won't drift, so you'll land more shots.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Thor-Stryker posted:

I would just like to reiterate how hosed up Blizzard's hitboxes for projectiles are:

Cool there haven't been a thousand posts and a bunch of redundant videos about this yet

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Brosnan posted:

Cool there haven't been a thousand posts and a bunch of redundant videos about this yet

I like this Avatar/Post combo.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Indecisive posted:

well that footage that looks like it was recorded on a toaster is conclusive proof that this proffesional sniper is hacking. Blizzard just hasn't banned him because they're... what? incompetant? corrupt?

or maybe he's not actually hacking you dumb fucks

I am hacking so anyone that kills me is also hacking

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

I don't know if anyone has posted about this yet, but d.va is apparently getting buffed which is Good.

She's of my most played characters and is super fun but doesn't really seem super strong offensively or defensively, lol.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

As far as I know (have googled) there are no free working cheats available. All the usual forums are filled with posts about getting hwid banned and getting banned on subsequent purchases as well. Widow makers owning you are probably teenagers who play a lot that are good and on top of all that the headboxes are pretty generous so... Young punks.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

anyone that's better than me at a video game is hacking imo

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Random hero mode is back as the weekly brawl, which is good, but now there's not a new weekly brawl this week and random hero mode won't be a mode next week, which is bad.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

anyone that's better than me at a video game is hacking imo

Anyone who's better is a hacker, anyone who's worse should just uninstall.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
The game is the most fun when people are around your skill level, in the abstract.

I wonder how egregious matchmaking imbalances can really be - I got kind of annoyed at some people i was premaking with the other day because they were insisting that our opponents were just unbeatable at our skill level while being completely coordinated. Then they shot down my efforts to coordinate the team (which I don't like having to do).

I don't ever believe anyone I'm being matched against is significantly better or worse than I am mechanically at the game but I do believe that people will play suboptimal roles because everyone has learning phases or they will have varying degrees of affinity for team play because working together with randoms isn't always a thing that's just gonna click.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
The imbalance comes from there being no really set meta. High level KotH has a cancer meta which is like 2 Winstons, 2 Lucios, 2 Tracers, because the ability to constantly contest the point and the immense longevity prevents from getting one bad teamfight and just losing the entire round. The result is it's a lot more down to the technical things like skill and coordination.

If the 99% adopted 2 Tank/2 Healer/2 DPS then you would find matches to generally be a lot more even, but instead as-is it's usually 1 Tank and 1 Support which are just kind of token slots and don't really have others of their role to synergize with. (Zarya and Roadhog become significantly more effective with another tank on the field.)

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20744975070?page=2#post-36

The 20 tickrate meme is coming to an end, folks.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The Soldier 69 emote where he grunts and fist pumps is top tier.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Rirse posted:

Had a funny moment today when playing as D.VA and Reinhardt tried to tackle me off the map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmRaeFIUVWs

Hell yeah! That is badass.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

A cool drat horse posted:

I don't know if anyone has posted about this yet, but d.va is apparently getting buffed which is Good.

She's of my most played characters and is super fun but doesn't really seem super strong offensively or defensively, lol.

Any mention on what they'd be buffing for her?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
they are trying to figure out what to buff about her that's why her buff wont be at the same time as the mccree nerf

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Mention of a server browser is something I'd thought we would never would have heard from them, but it's also kind of vague. Is he implying they would have a server browser only for parties seeking custom games? I find it hard to believe they would ever change away from matchmaking for quick play and ranked.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Trisk posted:

Mention of a server browser is something I'd thought I'd never hear from them, but it's also kind of vague. Is he implying they would have a server browser only for parties seeking custom games? I find it hard to believe they would ever change away from matchmaking for quick play and ranked...

I assume so. Doesn't SC2 have a custom game browser? Seems like the exact same thing.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

SC2 arcade is probably wildly different. I don't imagine there'll be a lot of player made maps unless there's a big shakeup of some sort.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

a server browser for custom games would be interesting since you'd guarantee your stack would go against another one

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Regalingualius posted:

Any mention on what they'd be buffing for her?

Damage or survivability, most likely not both.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

They mentioned a server browser, in a few years this may be a little closer to a feature complete shooter 90s shooter.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Have they actually enabled 60 tick servers yet? It didn't work last week.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Countblanc posted:

Have they actually enabled 60 tick servers yet? It didn't work last week.

I think they're supposed to be enabled but they're buggy AF.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, im pretty glad it wasn't just a few people who wanted better servers and that blizzard might put them in, unfortunately it might be "soon".

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

I hope this hasn't been posted yet

https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/740297720846553088

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That was cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008