Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jarmak posted:

Ladies and gentleman we are now 48 hours away from it being 4 weeks of not getting any help regarding my order which they decided to flag in their system as complete without ever having shipped it, which at this point even they admit.... yet still don't correct. BBB complaint is stalled while Digital River tries to claim they bear no responsibility because it's an HTC product and HTC customer service which is a bold faced lie because when I call the digital river phone number instead of HTC's I talk to the exact. same. people. not to mention every single one of their order/shipping/billing documents carries the legal disclaimer "DR GlobalTech. is the authorized reseller and merchant of the products and services offered within this store."

At this point I feel like my only option is to sue them in small claims court to compel specific performance, but I just started closing on a house so I don't have time for this poo poo.

If there wasn't literally not a single equivalent product on the market I would have just done a chargeback ages ago, hell if it was only me I'd have done it because rift would fit my sim needs fine; but it would break my wife's heart because after trying my little brother's Vive she's super excited about roomscale to the point she was worried about where the VR would go when we were house hunting :smith: .

I'm just popping in to rant again cause I'm loving pissed, gently caress HTC and I hope someone else comes out with alternative roomscale product so these fucks can finish the death spiral they were entering before they made this deal with Valve.

Why not just do a chargeback and have a friend order it for you or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Lemming posted:

Why not just do a chargeback and have a friend order it for you or something?

Kind of tempted to do that I guess my main worry would be that the chargeback would cause them to actually get off their rear end and ship and and then have them try to make me pay for both.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Jarmak posted:

I'm just popping in to rant again cause I'm loving pissed, gently caress HTC and I hope someone else comes out with alternative roomscale product so these fucks can finish the death spiral they were entering before they made this deal with Valve.

Some rear end in a top hat must have nicked it during the delivery process. Going to small claims court is a waste of money, you should do as Lemming says and just chargeback and give someone else the money.

Jarmak posted:

Kind of tempted to do that I guess my main worry would be that the chargeback would cause them to actually get off their rear end and ship and and then have them try to make me pay for both.

If they do that, then just send them the first one back or just resell it and maybe get a profit.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Jarmak posted:

I personally would initiate a chargeback. It will light a fire under their asses to get it figured out, for better or worse.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Some rear end in a top hat must have nicked it during the delivery process. Going to small claims court is a waste of money, you should do as Lemming says and just chargeback and give someone else the money.

If they do that, then just send them the first one back or just resell it and maybe get a profit.

No one nicked it, the tracking shows it never leaving their warehouse, even HTC (really Digital River) admit that it never left their warehouse, the last two times I've called (both last week) I was told "we're aware it never shipped, it's unacceptable it's taken this long but we're working to get you a replacement as soon as possible, 24-48 hours at the latest"

And yes, those calls were 48 hours apart.

Small claims is loser pays in my state (including filing fees)

edit: right now I'm just sending angry tweets at them today in the lull while I'm waiting for paperwork to move on the house thing. Maybe I'll initiate a chargeback and wait for it to be successful to reorder. The other thing that sucks is I took the first summer semester off and it's pretty much my last summer vacation ever since my wife and I are trying to have a kid, would have been nice to have this to play with.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Agreeing with everyone else, just initiate a chargeback and get a new one. "Item Not Received" is one of the explicit reasons chargebacks exist. They took your money and didn't give you a product, you've got them on record admitting it (right?), so you should be completely in the clear.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is there no way to change the shortcut to bring up the SteamVR interface? You can change the shortcut for Big Picture but that is apparently different from SteamVR for some reason. House of the Dying Sun tells me to use the back button to select my ship but SteamVR stupidly uses that as the button for bringing up the interface. So I press the back button and it brings up the SteamVR interface as well as select the ship in my game. Then I press the B or back button and it closes the steam interface and also goes back to the ship selection. As far as I can tell, there's no setting anywhere in steamvr to change it. I'd rather not have to mess with the controls for every game because of Valve's stupid oversight.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Looking through my PayPal record to start a chargeback I'm noticing a second $10 charge from digital river 3 weeks after my order was placed and 2 weeks before they "shipped" it, anyone have any idea what this was?

edit: it's labeled "DRI Greybox order"

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I was trying to sort this after downloading a couple hours ago - use the mouse or keyboard to change. I think the defaults are mouse 1 and enter?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Jarmak posted:

Looking through my PayPal record to start a chargeback I'm noticing a second $10 charge from digital river 3 weeks after my order was placed and 2 weeks before they "shipped" it, anyone have any idea what this was?

edit: it's labeled "DRI Greybox order"

That's pretty weird. This is the only VR-ish thing I found that sort of sounds like a thing http://cognitivevr.co/blog/graybox-building-vr-within-vr/

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Is there even a wait anymore if you order a Vive right now? Maybe just call em and cancel your current order, and then just reorder. Keeps the chargeback off your, uh, permanent record (whatever, I don't know)?

Could have sworn I saw a news article flash by somewhere that Vive orders were being processed pretty much right away.

edit: according to this: http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/7/11876706/htc-vive-preorder-shipping-wait-list-72-hours

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ChickenArise posted:

That's pretty weird. This is the only VR-ish thing I found that sort of sounds like a thing http://cognitivevr.co/blog/graybox-building-vr-within-vr/

figured it out, it was Dreadnought, the developer is GreyBox and Digital River handled their digital distribution aparently

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Syves posted:

Is there even a wait anymore if you order a Vive right now? Maybe just call em and cancel your current order, and then just reorder. Keeps the chargeback off your, uh, permanent record (whatever, I don't know)?

Could have sworn I saw a news article flash by somewhere that Vive orders were being processed pretty much right away.

Why would I care if a legit chargeback was on my paypal record?

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug

Jarmak posted:

*shrug* no clue. Haven't done one. But if there is another course that might be easier without pissing off one of the parties needed in a transaction (either paypal or digital river, or HTC) why not?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Syves posted:

*shrug* no clue. Haven't done one. But if there is another course that might be easier without pissing off one of the parties needed in a transaction (either paypal or digital river, or HTC) why not?

Pissing off HTC and/or Digital River is a benefit not a downside, gently caress them.

edit: gently caress it, initiated chargeback

edit2: Haha I mentioned in passing that I had ordered a Vive while figuring out the greybox order the lady got all agitated and told me I had to talk to HTC about Vive problems. I have to wonder if it has anything to do with the fact Digital River tried to claim to the BBB that HTC handles all Vive-related customer service and I countered that telling them calling digital river's listed number gives you the exact same people who say the exact same things and share the exact same customer service ticket numbers.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 7, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Get a Vive if you have room for roomscale, a Rift if you're only going to do cockpit games and other seated/standing games.

I can make the room but I'm not 100% sure I'd want to do that on a regular basis (I'd have to move my couch and insanely heavy coffee table and probably a rug for safety)

I guess I'd have to try it to see if I'd like roomscale stuff, but I'm not sure there's anywhere I can demo that??

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

I can make the room but I'm not 100% sure I'd want to do that on a regular basis (I'd have to move my couch and insanely heavy coffee table and probably a rug for safety)

I guess I'd have to try it to see if I'd like roomscale stuff, but I'm not sure there's anywhere I can demo that??

Certain Microsoft stores are doing Vive demo's I believe.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Poetic Justice posted:

Certain Microsoft stores are doing Vive demo's I believe.

You got me all excited but it looks like the store in my area (Las Vegas) isn't doing them. I knew I should have gone to CES or something. :smith:

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Jarmak posted:

I'm curious - does paypal suffer or benefit in any way from a chargeback? IMO they deserve a place on the pile of poo poo companies.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Roomscale is true VR. There's nothing quite like it. Space Pirate Trainer alone beats anything that the Rift has. A 2x1.5 meter space is the bare minimum but if you can do more it's even better. The Vive can also do everything the Rift can while also being able to do Roomscale out of the box. If you buy a first generation headset, buy a Vive.

However I'll also give you the best advice that anyone in this thread can give: Don't buy first generation VR. It has so many issues that simply will not be present with the second generation headsets.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ChickenArise posted:

I'm curious - does paypal suffer or benefit in any way from a chargeback? IMO they deserve a place on the pile of poo poo companies.

I think Paypal collects fees from the seller.

I agree with your assessment and look forward to paypal being a poo poo company at digital river.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 7, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
In a battle of Digital River vs Paypal, I'll vote for paypal. Paypal does something decent every once in a while.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

However I'll also give you the best advice that anyone in this thread can give: Don't buy first generation VR. It has so many issues that simply will not be present with the second generation headsets.

You're certainly completely right but playing HotDS has triggered my 'I want this new toy noooowwwww' complex something fierce, I tell you what :v:

Didn't realize roomscale required that little, though. Maybe I can make enough room after all. Would still be nice to be able to demo it somewhere though

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Roomscale is true VR. There's nothing quite like it. Space Pirate Trainer alone beats anything that the Rift has. A 2x1.5 meter space is the bare minimum but if you can do more it's even better. The Vive can also do everything the Rift can while also being able to do Roomscale out of the box. If you buy a first generation headset, buy a Vive.

You'll also run out of stuff to do really fast. There's no harm in waiting right now, it's not like getting a new CoD ripoff or whatever and having the community die after a few months, there's not much to do and you can see it all in a few weeks, pretty much. If you have a friend with one, try theirs out.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

All that being said I might not meet the minimum requirements anyway for either system--I have a 980ti and 16GB ram, but my processor is an i5 4570, and I've seen the minimums for both be at least i5 4590k

maybe it's time to build up a new pc instead :v:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Lemming posted:

You'll also run out of stuff to do really fast. There's no harm in waiting right now, it's not like getting a new CoD ripoff or whatever and having the community die after a few months, there's not much to do and you can see it all in a few weeks, pretty much. If you have a friend with one, try theirs out.

After VR Pool came out there is now infinite content as Pool is the true endless game.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Lemming posted:

Doesn't that really depend if you're a simmer though? I got lost for hours playing Elite when my brother lent me his DK2.

edit:

Cojawfee posted:

In a battle of Digital River vs Paypal, I'll vote for paypal. Paypal does something decent every once in a while.

Amusingly the thing I remember about PayPal being poo poo is screwing over sellers by providing no scrutiny on chargebacks

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

All that being said I might not meet the minimum requirements anyway for either system--I have a 980ti and 16GB ram, but my processor is an i5 4570, and I've seen the minimums for both be at least i5 4590k

You should be fine for most titles; the CPU minimum requirements are generally erring on the side of caution. Assuming HotRS can hit 90fps on your monitor I wouldn't expect CPU to be an issue for it in VR.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

maybe it's time to build up a new pc instead :v:

That CPU should be fine. People are getting on with i5-2500ks.

If you are a simmer, there really is endless content if whatever sim you like supports VR which many do or are in the process of realizing that they need to. If you are just getting VR for VR, then there won't be as much content. For "endless" types of games like SPT and Pool, you can keep playing as long as you don't get bored. Most of the VR games are pretty shallow and once you've done everything, there's no reason to go back.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jarmak posted:

Doesn't that really depend if you're a simmer though? I got lost for hours playing Elite when my brother lent me his DK2.

edit:

Amusingly the thing I remember about PayPal being poo poo is screwing over sellers by providing no scrutiny on chargebacks

If you're hardcore about sims or you're just a VR nerd in general then yeah, but those guys are already throwing hundreds or thousands of dollars down a money pit and nothing's going to stop them

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Lemming posted:

If you're hardcore about sims or you're just a VR nerd in general then yeah, but those guys are already throwing hundreds or thousands of dollars down a money pit and nothing's going to stop them

I know :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Guess you guys are right, mainstream VR's probably not for me yet. I'm not much of a simmer, I just think having actual VR at home is the coolest damned thing.

Indeed I've got a Gear VR and a Galaxy S6 but that thing overheats so fast when I try to use it that I just can't be bothered half the time. Which says it all really. Guess I just got overexcited v:shobon:v

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lemming posted:

I don't know if this is really true. Theres enough stuff out that I'm still waiting to finish several games, and have others I haven't even touched yet. Between Elite, the euro/american truck games, project cars, chronos, pinball fX, adrift, the climb, ethan carter, lucky's tale, farlands, technolust, esper2, herobound, blaze rush, edge of nowhere, and a bunch of games and other smaller experiences I'm forgetting, there's a lot thats kept me busy since I got my headset. Granted I don't play videogames hours and hours per day, but I haven't gotten bored with VR yet, feeling like there's nothing to play/I've played everything.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Ciaphas posted:

Guess you guys are right, mainstream VR's probably not for me yet. I'm not much of a simmer, I just think having actual VR at home is the coolest damned thing.

well it is the coolest drat thing, though

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Isn't that "every board game ever" thing vr thing coming out soon? That one is going to be my endless content

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Tweak posted:

well it is the coolest drat thing, though

I've been desperate to own a VR headset since seeing the VFX1 and other first gen PC VR kits in magazines in the mid 90's and it doesn't disappoint :D

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

This one

http://steamcommunity.com/games/TabletopSimulator/announcements/detail/876326228257182968

They are working on VR be, the game itself is already out though!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Maybe instead I should try finding a fix for the overheating problems on my S6 in the Gear VR and use that before I go spend a grand on other VR crap :v:

Speaking of Gear VR, anyone recommend a controller? It'd be exclusively for the phone/Gear VR, I already have an XB1 controller for the PC.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

I don't know if this is really true. Theres enough stuff out that I'm still waiting to finish several games, and have others I haven't even touched yet. Between Elite, the euro/american truck games, project cars, chronos, pinball fX, adrift, the climb, ethan carter, lucky's tale, farlands, technolust, esper2, herobound, blaze rush, edge of nowhere, and a bunch of games and other smaller experiences I'm forgetting, there's a lot thats kept me busy since I got my headset. Granted I don't play videogames hours and hours per day, but I haven't gotten bored with VR yet, feeling like there's nothing to play/I've played everything.

There's stuff to try out but not much that's like super incredible or amazing that you can spend hours and hours in, barring some of the sim stuff. Like I played Lucky's Tale for a while but I'm not going to be loading it up to play regularly or anything. Stuff like Chronos is legit great but is only 10-12 hours most likely, and once you beat it, it's over, and it'll still be there once there's more stuff released.

Like there are a few experiences that are really cool but once you try those out but once you've done them the most fun thing is to show it off to other people so they can experience it too. There's simply not much to do, yet. I've personally been spending most of my time recently playing Overwatch on Bigscreen, which is pretty sweet (having a fake giant screen) but probably not worht $600 or $800 to anyone who isn't a crazy person.

Edit:

Ciaphas posted:

Maybe instead I should try finding a fix for the overheating problems on my S6 in the Gear VR and use that before I go spend a grand on other VR crap :v:

Speaking of Gear VR, anyone recommend a controller? It'd be exclusively for the phone/Gear VR, I already have an XB1 controller for the PC.

Yeah, S6 from what I've heard just has a lot of problems :( I have a Note 5 and it's been pretty great, I got this http://www.amazon.com/POWER-MOGA-Pro-Electronic-Games-Game/dp/B00FB5RBJM?ie=UTF8&keywords=moga%20pro&qid=1465339913&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1 when it was about $25 and it's been pretty good, but I'm sure any bluetooth controller would be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Can't you turn down the screen brightness to fix overheating? Or is that just with the earlier phone models?

Firgof posted:

Finally got all the money to grab up our Vive, it's now sitting on the couch -- and I might have to turn around and sell it because our $300/mo insurance plan is getting rejected - with the potential of a $1000+ surgery coming after that doctor's visit - right after a $700 car repair bill.

This is what I get for wanting to dev for VR.
From last page but this sounds like it sucks, sorry to hear it dude.