Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

-Blackadder- posted:

Can you guys talk a bit about what DC has been like for the last 10 or so years?

I read a lot of DC when I was a kid, mostly Batman, but I moved to Marvel around the early to mid 2000's. I'm looking to maybe get back into DC but the last time I really felt Batman was No Man's Land. My perception is that all of the "universe explodes, then relaunches" are tiresome. I feel like DC was putting out some really compelling writing from the mid 80's to early 2000's with some great Batman stories like Death in the Family, TDKR, The Killing Joke, The Long Halloween, Knightfall, No Man's Land. And their Vertigo Imprint was kicking rear end with the likes of Preacher and The Sandman. There was also stuff like The Invisibles and Watchmen. On the other hand, at the time, the only thing I read from Marvel was Spider-Man's Clone Saga, so the contrast at least from my own perspective was pretty stark.

Then Marvel started putting out some big events that piqued my interest because they weren't so black & white. The stories often put heroes at odds with each other due to struggling with moral and ethical questions. Not every story was handled perfectly of course and there were legitimate criticisms, but from my perspective it was compelling reading. I just felt like Marvel started writing more "shades of gray" stories, which I found more interesting. I'd go into more detail but this isn't a marvel thread.

The thing is, I haven't really read a whole lot of DC in the past decade so there's probably a lot of good compelling writing in there. I do remember reading a few great Superman stories. What do you guys think of DC now vs the 90's? What's some good stuff they put out over the last decade?

There was a hard reboot in 2011 called Flashpoint that launched The New 52, which was an attempt at a totally clean slate that was an ostensible jumping on point for brand-new readers. It ended up not because certain lines continued through The New 52 with their pre-Flashpoint canon more or less intact, and there was also a five-year timeskip after Flashpoint that attempted to wedge all the previous canon into the story. So, New 52 Batman, for instance, was ostensibly a totally brand-new take on him but it starts with him having had three Robins in five years. In either case, New 52 ended up a complete critical disaster and they tried a couple of events to fix it - most notably Convergence, which brought back the multiverse - but it all failed, and commercial sales were suffering.

So like literally two weeks ago they did a "medium" reboot, titled Rebirth, which brings back a whole bunch of dropped plot elements that a lot of people despised N52 for eliminating - most famously Wally West Flash, who died in Flashpoint - and more-or-less branded the entire New 52 as a "cursed" universe that was doomed to fail, which was DC metatextually branding the entire past five years of stories as a mistake.

Grant Morrison's Batman run is really great, at least until Final Crisis (you need to read The Black Casebook first, though, in my opinion). It's pre-New 52 up until volume 2 of Batman, Incorporated, which ends up being a direct continuation of the pre-N52 story with some of the N52 changes folded in, it's a total mess.

I'm currently doing a readthrough of New 52 Batman, and it's pretty great so far. Zero Year (a re-imagined Batman origin story) is, in my opinion, better than Year One. But yeah, New 52 Batman is considered at least pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

Dan Didio: "They have Star Wars. We have Wacky Raceland."

WB Exec: "Why haven't you asked if you could do Harry Potter comics?"

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

-Blackadder- posted:

The thing is, I haven't really read a whole lot of DC in the past decade so there's probably a lot of good compelling writing in there. I do remember reading a few great Superman stories. What do you guys think of DC now vs the 90's? What's some good stuff they put out over the last decade?

My perception is that Marvel is still better at shades of grey, human stories, and DC is still good at big epic crazy universe good vs evil poo poo. There's exceptions on both sides but that's my broad strokes. The Crisis/relaunch stuff is dumb but has its own charm, especially when they get into like, meta-timeline stuff like how New 52 has its own history but people somehow go back in space-time to before the original Crisis, or how Old Superman found his way to New 52 Earth.

It sounds like you are a Batman fan. Snyder's Batman run (which lasted the whole of the New52 era) is super acclaimed and people argue over whether it's one of the best Batman runs ever, so probably check that out. Grayson is cool. Batgirl is good. Everyone loved All-Star Superman.

Beyond that, it comes down a lot to whether you like Geoff Johns as a "showrunner" and writer. If you do, a lot of what has gone on in the past ten years will be good to you. If you hate him and his ideas, which even I admit his stuff has its ups and downs, you will have a bad taste in your mouth about the current DCU.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JoshTheStampede posted:

I'm certain that some executive at WB has sat down with Didio or whoever and said "explain to me why Marvel sells twice as much as you and explain to me why you aren't doing whatever that reason is."

The rumor was they told Didio to right the ship or control of DC Comics would be handed over to Time Warner Books. Of course the threat of that dissolved when TWB was sold off.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh, and for reference to Blackadder: Rebirth so far has been pretty okay. There's only been five comics out so far (counting Rebirth 1, the launching "event"), but people are positive so far, which is a fair sight better than what they were even a month ago. There's a huge canonical change that they made as to why the New 52 failed that I, and a fair amount of other people, absolutely despise, but beyond that it does seem like a more positive, hopeful creative direction DC is moving in.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

JoshTheStampede posted:

Beyond that, it comes down a lot to whether you like Geoff Johns as a "showrunner" and writer.

Have you read a lot of these comics you're laying a giant blanket upon?
He didn't even get a single other comic to tie into his business in the final year.

e: Hell. His influence over the comics will be much larger now.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 7, 2016

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
/\/\ A lot? No, but some. And I do tend to like Johns, so that blanket is me saying "most of it is decent", not "it all sucks because Johns is a hack". His influence on the DCU is kinda hard to ignore or deny.

Toxxupation posted:

Oh, and for reference to Blackadder: Rebirth so far has been pretty okay. There's only been five comics out so far (counting Rebirth 1, the launching "event"), but people are positive so far, which is a fair sight better than what they were even a month ago. There's a huge canonical change that they made as to why the New 52 failed that I, and a fair amount of other people, absolutely despise, but beyond that it does seem like a more positive, hopeful creative direction DC is moving in.

It helps that it's not a real reboot - everyone has Crisis fatigue to the point even characters in the books are saying the universe can't handle a real Crisis. It's just a "ok, we'll add back in the stuff we left out of New 52, sorry", which people are way more likely to be ok with.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

Dan Didio: "Children don't buy comics."

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

-Blackadder- posted:

Can you guys talk a bit about what DC has been like for the last 10 or so years?

I read a lot of DC when I was a kid, mostly Batman, but I moved to Marvel around the early to mid 2000's. I'm looking to maybe get back into DC but the last time I really felt Batman was No Man's Land. My perception is that all of the "universe explodes, then relaunches" are tiresome. I feel like DC was putting out some really compelling writing from the mid 80's to early 2000's with some great Batman stories like Death in the Family, TDKR, The Killing Joke, The Long Halloween, Knightfall, No Man's Land. And their Vertigo Imprint was kicking rear end with the likes of Preacher and The Sandman. There was also stuff like The Invisibles and Watchmen. On the other hand, at the time, the only thing I read from Marvel was Spider-Man's Clone Saga, so the contrast at least from my own perspective was pretty stark.

Then Marvel started putting out some big events that piqued my interest because they weren't so black & white. The stories often put heroes at odds with each other due to struggling with moral and ethical questions. Not every story was handled perfectly of course and there were legitimate criticisms, but from my perspective it was compelling reading. I just felt like Marvel started writing more "shades of gray" stories, which I found more interesting. I'd go into more detail but this isn't a marvel thread.

I would say DC is overall much less likely to take chances now. My impression is that the people who are in charge of the company now do not really understand why their characters have resonated with fans for 75+ years. They know their characters are popular and iconic and powerful but they are struggling to harness that in a way that makes them money (or good comic books, for that matter).

I'm hard on DC because I know what they're capable of at their best and I love their massive stable of characters. There have been great stories in the last 10 years. Being that I mostly keep up with Batman stuff I can talk a bit about that. Grant Morrison's Batman spans like five series over what, six or seven years, and it's all extremely cool if occasionally impenetrable. A lot of great stories sprung up in the wake of Bruce's 'death' and Dick Grayson's time as Batman, including Scott Snyder's stuff, Rucka's Batwoman in Detective Comics, Brian K Vaughns Batgirl series. Not to mention Gotham Central which is one of the best things DC has ever done. Even after the much maligned reboot youve got Batman & Robin, Scott Snyder's run on the main series, Batwoman's ongoing which is a good read up until issue 25 or so. Babs Tarr and Cameron Stewart's Batgirl. Tom King's Grayson. Morrison on Action Comics and Azzarello's Wonder Woman.

But at the same time, their misses have been spectacular PR fiascoes and extremly bad stories. They have whittled their 'legacy' down considerably, taking out a bunch of Batgirls and Green Lanterns and Flash family members and people like the new Atom, so they could put the 'safe' (silver age) heroes back in those identities. A lot of those are being reintroduced as people have been shrieking about them for the last five years but it remains to be seen how well that works out. Lots of good looking stories in Rebirth but a lot of the same old crap is still lurking around too. The same people are still in charge so who knows if things are really going to change or not.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

They probably have. Harry Potter seems to be under fairly strict lock and key at least when it comes to JK Rowling.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Travis343 posted:

I would say DC is overall much less likely to take chances now. My impression is that the people who are in charge of the company now do not really understand why their characters have resonated with fans for 75+ years. They know their characters are popular and iconic and powerful but they are struggling to harness that in a way that makes them money (or good comic books, for that matter).

I'm hard on DC because I know what they're capable of at their best and I love their massive stable of characters. There have been great stories in the last 10 years. Being that I mostly keep up with Batman stuff I can talk a bit about that. Grant Morrison's Batman spans like five series over what, six or seven years, and it's all extremely cool if occasionally impenetrable. A lot of great stories sprung up in the wake of Bruce's 'death' and Dick Grayson's time as Batman, including Scott Snyder's stuff, Rucka's Batwoman in Detective Comics, Brian K Vaughns Batgirl series. Not to mention Gotham Central which is one of the best things DC has ever done. Even after the much maligned reboot youve got Batman & Robin, Scott Snyder's run on the main series, Batwoman's ongoing which is a good read up until issue 25 or so. Babs Tarr and Cameron Stewart's Batgirl. Tom King's Grayson. Morrison on Action Comics and Azzarello's Wonder Woman.

But at the same time, their misses have been spectacular PR fiascoes and extremly bad stories. They have whittled their 'legacy' down considerably, taking out a bunch of Batgirls and Green Lanterns and Flash family members and people like the new Atom, so they could put the 'safe' (silver age) heroes back in those identities. A lot of those are being reintroduced as people have been shrieking about them for the last five years but it remains to be seen how well that works out. Lots of good looking stories in Rebirth but a lot of the same old crap is still lurking around too. The same people are still in charge so who knows if things are really going to change or not.

I don't think this was a thing that existed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

DC has been pursuing the Harry Potter rights for over a decade and WB has told them no.

ImpAtom posted:

They probably have. Harry Potter seems to be under fairly strict lock and key at least when it comes to JK Rowling.

We were told at a retailer summit that JKR isn't interested in a comic book adaptation of her works.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Madkal posted:

Bryan Q Miller. I knew I was gonna gently caress that up.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

Only one Brian in comics should have a middle initial.

e: There shouldn't have been a Jeff King and a Tom King working at the same time.
Mark Millar should have changed his last name a long time ago.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 7, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

We were told at a retailer summit that JKR isn't interested in a comic book adaptation of her works.

I can't really blame her. I wouldn't want someone writing a story where Voldemort returns and rapes Hermione before ripping off Ron's arms and blaming The Hunger Games for making himself too gritty and realistic.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
They should just have an ongoing Books of Magic title with a huge header saying something like "from the company that produces the Harry Potter movies" on it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

I can't really blame her. I wouldn't want someone writing a story where Voldemort returns and rapes Hermione before ripping off Ron's arms and blaming The Hunger Games for making himself too gritty and realistic.

From what I recall they wanted to do straight up adaptations of each book at 25 issues per book. It's a drat shame because with her name attached it would outsell any and every book on the stands.

Madkal posted:

They should just have an ongoing Books of Magic title with a huge header saying something like "from the company that produces the Harry Potter movies" on it.

Is there a box on the cover explaining that Tim predates the HP books?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
People are kind of understating how DCYou "didn't do that well in singles" or "didn't sell great" or whatever. For better or worse, when there are sales like this on your launch titles that don't directly involve Batmans:

code:
Title			1st 	6th 	Drop
Starfire		46,298	27,941	-40%
Cyborg			45,187	18,975	-58%
GL Lost Army		42,945	20,972	-51%
Earth 2 Society		41,002	21,948	-46%
Black Canary		40,786	21,666	-47%
Constantine 		38,080	19,328	-49%
Martian Manhunter	36,581	17,038	-53%
Doctor Fate		35,962	13,090	-64%
Bizarro			35,010	12,202	-65%
Bat Mite		34,731	10,961	-68%
Doomed			32,259	7,113	-78%
Midnighter		32,200	12,186	-62%
All Star Section 8	31,099	8,995	-71%
Omega Men		30,158	9,709	-68%
Prez			28,309	7,716	-73%
You'd be hard pressed to see any company not wanting to go another direction. And yeah, drops of 40-50% are not unheard of, but there are a lot of drops over 50 here, and very few softer plummets.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Madkal posted:

Didn't Mike Carey write a Harry Potter like book for Vertigo? I never looked at it because that kind of story doesn't interest me, but Mke Carey is a good writer of comics so it was probably good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just show her Scooby Apocalypse and she'll change her tune about licensing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

People are kind of understating how DCYou "didn't do that well in singles" or "didn't sell great" or whatever. For better or worse, when there are sales like this on your launch titles that don't directly involve Batmans:

code:
Title			1st 	6th 	Drop
Prez			28,309	7,716	-73%
You'd be hard pressed to see any company not wanting to go another direction. And yeah, drops of 40-50% are not unheard of, but there are a lot of drops over 50 here, and very few softer plummets.

God that Prez number is depressing from a quality-to-sales standpoint.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Section 8 is getting another series. That tells me that they're still okay with producing a niche-rear end thing, just as long as it's not line-wide now.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 8, 2016

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Teenage Fansub posted:

Section 8 is getting another series. That tells me that they're still okay with producing a niche-rear end thing, just as long as it's not line-wide now.
I'm genuinely baffled by that. I kind of wonder if it isn't some sort of line item in their ledger books of "keep Garth Ennis happy while Preacher is coming on the air" or something. Though that doesn't explain Coming of the Supermen.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Edge & Christian posted:

code:
Title			1st 	6th 	Drop
Prez			28,309	7,716	-73%

Yeah, most of those books were gonna die either way, but I think the main complaint is that DC just came off as tonedeaf or clueless about WHY it didn't work. Lke someone else above said, DCYou was a bad execution of a pretty good idea, and they at least externally seemed like they wrote it off as a bad idea instead.

\/\/ Hell, some of those might not even come out in trade.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 8, 2016

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Again I am curious about the impact of trades. I know it is too early to tell with the fact that Omega Men and such haven't even come out in trade yet, but I would love to see once all is said and done how the DCyou titles sold in trade form.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

Though that doesn't explain Coming of the Supermen.

There's a god of insane comics up there that you have to appease.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
The only book in DCYou that people were asking for is Constantine, and that shows with its pretty good drop-off rate.

I ended up loving loving Omega Men but I only started it when issue 11 dropped.

They're learning with Rebirth.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm sure this is totally unfeasibly financially, but I wish publishers would commit to getting at least two arcs of a book out and collected in trade before they decided to cancel it. I have to imagine some of the smaller titles could be nursed along if they were given time to build word of mouth through the people who only buy stuff in trade or go back and buy back issues digitally if something starts to build an audience. It'll probably be easier to give those smaller/niche titles more time to grow once they're a smaller percentage of the overall line instead of having an entire line refresh based around them.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Well before too long all comics are just going to be distributed digitally anyway and without the massive overhead of printing and distribution there will be room for stuff that sells less than 10k a month. I guess let's just hope DC stays solvent until that happens.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MitchGerads/status/740243144185286656
Check Sheriff of Babylon. Dude rules.
He'll make a great Batman artist when Finch drops out.

Young Animal launching in November.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/06/07/gerard-way-to-launch-young-animal-comics-at-nccomicon-in-november/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 8, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

https://twitter.com/MitchGerads/status/740243144185286656
Check Sheriff of Babylon. Dude rules.
He'll make a great Batman artist when Finch drops out.

Quit playin' games with my heart, Teenage Fansub

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/740306425285468160

Nice one, guys.

e:

ee:
Remember those unused Travel Foreman Stargirl and Animal Man designs?
He just released a bunch more of them https://issuu.com/zuerst/docs/jlu.sketchbook. (Oops. Fixed url. A period at the end is weird.)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 8, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Alright, I'ma be the crazy person who says the Rucka WW Rebirth preview was just...passable. From what little we see so far it seems really prosey and tell-not-show-y and practically Johnsian.

The rest of it could be really incredible! But the preview pages aren't really meeting my (admittedly, unrealistically high) expectations.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Wally has better things to do, right? Like seduce Linda? There'e already a Flash and a Kid Flash in this world, dude has got stuff to catch up on.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

BrianWilly posted:

Alright, I'ma be the crazy person who says the Rucka WW Rebirth preview was just...passable. From what little we see so far it seems really prosey and tell-not-show-y and practically Johnsian.

The rest of it could be really incredible! But the preview pages aren't really meeting my (admittedly, unrealistically high) expectations.
Rucka has always been a kind of prose-y writer. This doesn't feel any different in writing tone from his other Wonder Woman stuff to me at first glance.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I really like that Flash costume.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Nice one, guys.

e:

ee:
He just released a bunch more of them https://issuu.com/zuerst/docs/jlu.sketchbook

Those Stargirls are awful. Those bottom Liberty Belles are stellar. What book was this supposed to be?

Edit: why did DC use the period flower for spring?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

What book was this supposed to be?

Click the link. JLU.
He must've been designing for Jeff Lemire's run, which took place in space most of the time. Foreman ended up drawing on the short lived Jeff Parker run, but Stargirl's costume was traditional.

If all of those extra characters were planned before Lemire left, I'm very sad.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Nice one, guys.

e:

ee:
He just released a bunch more of them https://issuu.com/zuerst/docs/jlu.sketchbook

Dude I really like your posts but would you mind just posting a new reply instead of constantly throwing fun stuff in old replies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

JoshTheStampede posted:

You can. But apparently people come in and say "hey I want to write a story about batgirl being Barbara Gordon living in Brooklyn" and the default answer was "no, she's paralyzed and oracle and you cant" and DCYou changed that answer to "awesome, go for it".

I like DCYou as a concept, but I would rather DC had continuity to handicap stuff like that rather than not. Hell, I wish they did more. I kinda hate that a writer can jump on Batman, decide they like Barbara more than Cass, and just write Cass out of being Batgirl in favor of their Batgirl. Johns did it with Flash and it sucked canal water.