Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just get one of these https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Arch...rds=8TB+seafate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

I snagged one for testing at work.

I'm thinking that they might be great for media hoarding. Write once read many.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Moey posted:

I snagged one for testing at work.

I'm thinking that they might be great for media hoarding. Write once read many.

My thoughts exactly.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What about once you fill the array and start deleting old content / overwriting it?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Can't seem to find any info on what internal drive is inside the 'WD 8TB My Book Desktop External Hard Drive'.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B6BN0Q2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

PMR?

edit: oh now I'm reading there's some sort of hardware encryption on the externals that renders them useless for harvesting....

edit2: Seems like a WD80EZZX is inside and the hardware encryption thing might just be a rumor
It'll be a rebadged HGST 8TB drive in there, no encryption AFAIK.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

IOwnCalculus posted:

What about once you fill the array and start deleting old content / overwriting it?

Who deletes old content?

(I'm curious as well about how well it will handle rewriting data until you start hitting bad sectors)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Moey posted:

Who deletes old content?

(I'm curious as well about how well it will handle rewriting data until you start hitting bad sectors)

4K > 1080p > 720p > SD. :colbert:

Also, that time period in between "gently caress my array is full, do I *really* need this" and "fine I'll plunk down the cash for more / bigger drives".

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Performance is really bad, and in RAID environments they can take several times longer to rebuild than PMR drives.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

IOwnCalculus posted:

Your write performance grinds to a screeching halt. SMR is a great for increasing storage density, but any re-write operation is enormously painful because the drive has to up and move a crap-ton of other data to get at the appropriate "shingles." It's not like it can't do it, but it's gonna be slow as gently caress. To give you an idea of what "slow as gently caress" means, these guys did a simple RAID-1 rebuild on a pair of SMR drives and watched them crawl along at <10MB/s average speed, while a pair of HGST drives zipped along on the same task at over 150MB/s.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Performance is really bad, and in RAID environments they can take several times longer to rebuild than PMR drives.

Blech. Just gonna stay on the WD Red bandwagon.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
So spend the extra 20 bux and shuck that WD 8tb.

Wonder about in a non-raid environment, probably similar speeds when deleting and re-adding files?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

DrDork posted:

Your write performance grinds to a screeching halt. SMR is a great for increasing storage density, but any re-write operation is enormously painful because the drive has to up and move a crap-ton of other data to get at the appropriate "shingles." It's not like it can't do it, but it's gonna be slow as gently caress. To give you an idea of what "slow as gently caress" means, these guys did a simple RAID-1 rebuild on a pair of SMR drives and watched them crawl along at <10MB/s average speed, while a pair of HGST drives zipped along on the same task at over 150MB/s.

IIRC there's some work underway on shingle-aware SAS/SATA command set extensions so that the host can query the device about its shingle size and layout, and write whole shingles atomically. This plus support in higher layers would help a great deal with RAID rebuild. There's no reason why that task specifically can't go as fast as a conventional drive, because RAID rebuild is (or can be) very linear. That bad a slowdown has to be the drive being forced into doing many read-modify-writeback passes per shingle, instead of the optimal write once (no read).

It could also be interesting if some of the advanced filesystems get tuned to be shingle-aware. With a SSD for a write cache you could even make random writes reasonably fast.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Yeah, no doubt there are ways that the process could be optimized to not give such a hit to SMR drives, but at the moment no one's bothered to do so (and considering how small a market they are, may never get around to it), so they make pretty lovely drives for everything other than what they explicitly are for: literal write-once read-many.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

people posted:

:words: about SMR drives
For me at least, SMR are just tape drives in a easier-to-deal-with package, and are only really useful for cold-storage with zfs send-/receiv-ing snapshots and proper labeling+documentation. I don't trust my future self, or anyon else, enough to know for absolute certain that I will never want to delete something from a pool - and you don't ever wanna mix SMR drives with PMR drives - they have to be seperate pools if they're on the same machine.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Ok, I should be getting everything I need to make a file/plex server this weekend. I know there are NAS OSs like FreeNAS that can run plex servers as well, however I still need a way to play steam games on my big TV.

Instead of getting a steambox (which doesn't work well with DS4 controllers), a cheapo windows or linux box, or just running an extra long HDMI cable from my desktop (while my computer and my TV are literally on the opposite sides of the same wall, I rent so I can't drill a hole lol), I was considering using the new server to stream games. Is there any dedicated NAS OS that can run steam easily, or would it be better to just install a basic linux distro. Hell, am I crazy for even thinking about doing this?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

FreeNAS 10 might be able to with bhyve, but for now I think it's better to go with Steam for linux which should be available in any well-maintained package repository for your favorite linux distro. However, judging by sales figures, the future of steam for linux isn't exactly looking bright - so while the idea of having one machine doing everything on a high-powered centralized machine as a back-end and just using thin-clients at the head-end might be a cool one, the practical implimentation of it on any kind of budget is still a ways more off than some videos that have recently started surfacing tend to suggest (though in all fairness, the videos can easily be seen more as a technology showcase than actual practical setup).

That being said, it is possible. I have FreeBSD 11-CURRENT running with bhyve and iohyve on top of a zpool and a VT-d for graphics card set up for a Windows 10 VM, and gaming works - but getting it to work has certainly made use of my +10 years of experience in working with (and troubleshooting/debugging) FreeBSD - so it's not something I'd recommend, as it requires - among other things - a MSI-X capable graphics card and a lot of time to fiddle with a lot of things.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Well yeah while that would be cool, I actually meant stream to the server from my desktop. Though with something like an -E processor with lots of RAM, someone could just run windows on it with something like freeNAS in a vm or the other way around...

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
One Linux server running my Zpool and a Windows VM pumping the video to my steam link is still a dream setup. Too bad getting it to work proved too much of a hassle.

Maybe I'll try again in a couple of months. First I have a Vive and it needs all the frames my current machine can throw at it.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I asked this in the backup thread, but I wanted to try here, too.

Does anyone have experience with Windows server storage essentials? I have a whs 1.0 and over time I've added gpt based machines that aren't supported for backups.

I want bare metal restore, data de-dupe, and something like storage spaces to mitigate single drive loss. The media on the server is currently also backed up to crashplan.

The old whs migration path was to buy wse2012r2, but this storage spaces thing looks to be more straightforward. Right now I only see a thecus w2810 pro, but it isn't out yet and has no reviews.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Just a reminder to always backup your data if its valuable to you!

I didn't get any smart errors on my RDM mounted drives to NAS VM and lost two disks in my RAID5 last week. Luckily CrashPlan backup was pretty current so that's been a really nice.

Setup unRAID again, since the app side is drastically better since Docker has come along. Containerized CrashPlan has been amazing vs some of the community NAS packages as it rolls Java/noVNC into the container for simple html5 based management.

Storm-
Jan 7, 2007

You win some, you lose some... then you lose some more.

BobHoward posted:

Plastic shell? I only see the HDD's chassis, which is cast aluminum with a really thick black anodize.

For some reason I thought the underside was hard plastic, don't know why. I'm dumb.

EDIT: By the way, I've added the two drives through a PCIe SATA adapter, now they show up as Safely Remove Hardware. Should I ignore it or is there a way to remove that?

Storm- fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 5, 2016

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
I need a PCIe controller card for a JBOD setup that has to have a minimum of 2 eSATA and 2 internal SATA ports. Poking around on newegg brings up a number of cards by Syba, StarTech, SIIG, Rosewill and Sedna for under $60, and some HighPoint cards $40-$100 and up. Of the brands listed, I've only ever heard of HighPoint before, in relation to RAID cards. So I guess what I'm asking is what are the good brands and what is trash ? I'm not inclined to go super cheap, but I want to avoid spending more than $115-$125.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Does anyone have any experience with the Drobo 5N? I was thinking about getting one for storing and watching videos. How well does the Drobo version of the Transmission BitTorrent client work?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The thread does not like Drobo. Overpriced and proprietary.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

And slooooooow usually.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Thermopyle posted:

The thread has spoken.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

MREBoy posted:

I need a PCIe controller card for a JBOD setup that has to have a minimum of 2 eSATA and 2 internal SATA ports. Poking around on newegg brings up a number of cards by Syba, StarTech, SIIG, Rosewill and Sedna for under $60, and some HighPoint cards $40-$100 and up. Of the brands listed, I've only ever heard of HighPoint before, in relation to RAID cards. So I guess what I'm asking is what are the good brands and what is trash ? I'm not inclined to go super cheap, but I want to avoid spending more than $115-$125.

Do you need port multiplier support? If not, an LSI2008 based card like this one might suit you. It's a version of the popular M1015 that has 4 internal SATA3 ports and 4 external SAS2/SATA3 ports via a SFF-8088 connector. Flash it to IT mode, add a SFF-8088 to 4x eSATA forward breakout cable and you're in business.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

DrDork posted:

Is there any way to tell a SMR drive to "rearrange" itself ahead of time while it's idle, after you've deleted your old data but before you have new data to write?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I think SMR drives have a certain area reserved and uses it as a write buffer, to do all rearranging in the background. As long you don't run it full, you should get decent performance. Things like a rebuild, or anything else that writes a lot of data in a short time, screw the drive over. Last I heard it was rumored to be 20GB on the Seagate disks.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are there specific SCSI commands available for controllers/OSes to know when they are dealing with an SMR disk to work with it better?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Are there specific SCSI commands available for controllers/OSes to know when they are dealing with an SMR disk to work with it better?
Yes. Host-initiated SMR is called ZAC and drives supporting it are targeted as strictly-enterprise products, AFAIK.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I think SMR drives have a certain area reserved and uses it as a write buffer, to do all rearranging in the background. As long you don't run it full, you should get decent performance.
I believe it's on the outer diameter, yep.

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016
I'm putting 16 drives into a JBOD enclosure that has 4 MiniSAS connectors. 1 lane for every disk. The enclosure ships with a 16-port HighPoint card with 4 external MiniSas ports. I also have a spare Areca card with a single MiniSAS external port. HighPoint is crap, Areca is pretty good.

I could do 4 RAID6 volumes with 4 drives each if I hack the enclosure with a SAS expander module and hook it up to the Areca with a single cable. The HighPoint doesn't do RAID6, but if I use it in JBOD mode I have the option of running either ZFS or StorageSpaces on the host. ZFS would give me more final usable space but is trickier because the host is Windows; with StorageSpaces I'd want to do triple-mirroring which seems a bit wasteful.

How would you use the space?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Hi Jinx posted:

I'm putting 16 drives into a JBOD enclosure that has 4 MiniSAS connectors. 1 lane for every disk. The enclosure ships with a 16-port HighPoint card with 4 external MiniSas ports. I also have a spare Areca card with a single MiniSAS external port. HighPoint is crap, Areca is pretty good.

I could do 4 RAID6 volumes with 4 drives each if I hack the enclosure with a SAS expander module and hook it up to the Areca with a single cable. The HighPoint doesn't do RAID6, but if I use it in JBOD mode I have the option of running either ZFS or StorageSpaces on the host. ZFS would give me more final usable space but is trickier because the host is Windows; with StorageSpaces I'd want to do triple-mirroring which seems a bit wasteful.

How about using the HighPoint card in JBOD/non-RAID mode (so you don't need an expander) and running a storage VM under Hyper-V with the disks passed through? Then you aren't limited in your choice of OS or file system for software RAID, and you can export the storage via SMB/NFS/iSCSI/etc to use it outside of the VM.

The Pro versions of Windows 8 and 10 come with Hyper-V built-in. Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview supports proper PCI passthrough of the whole controller, but both motherboard and CPU must support VT-d, which isn't likely on desktop-class hardware.

I'd do two 8-drive RAIDZ2/6 volumes if I was trying to maximize available storage space without sacrificing too much redundancy. Otherwise, I'd say it depends on requirements of your application.

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016

SamDabbers posted:

How about using the HighPoint card in JBOD/non-RAID mode (so you don't need an expander) and running a storage VM under Hyper-V with the disks passed through? Then you aren't limited in your choice of OS or file system for software RAID, and you can export the storage via SMB/NFS/iSCSI/etc to use it outside of the VM.

I was actually thinking the same, in case I go with ZFS.

SamDabbers posted:

Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview supports proper PCI passthrough of the whole controller, but both motherboard and CPU must support VT-d, which isn't likely on desktop-class hardware.

It's an old (~6 years) Intel server board with two Xeons and ECC RAM. I would probably be able to run PCI passthrough but the problem with the Technical Preview is that it won't let you upgrade to newer versions - at least it did not let me go from TP4 to TP5. I'd rather not upgrade to it on a server that's in use, and then be stuck on it forever.

Attaching the disks to a VM is fine - it probably has a performance hit, but since I'm accessing storage over 1Gb Ethernet it's really not a concern.

SamDabbers posted:

I'd do two 8-drive RAIDZ2/6 volumes if I was trying to maximize available storage space without sacrificing too much redundancy. Otherwise, I'd say it depends on requirements of your application.

It's for backups and general home packrat storage. It may be overly cautious but I wouldn't want to do less than 100% redundancy - this is why I was entertaining the idea of StorageSpaces, it gives you even more of a safety net.

For the ZFS VM, what distribution would you recommend? I'm leaning towards FreeNAS. I'm pretty good with Windows but not so much on BSD/Solaris/Linux, so I figure the point-and-click nature of FreeNAS will suit me better. Unless there's a must-have feature or level of control in the others.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

What does this thread like, as far as simple, inexpensive, user-friendly NAS boxes go? I just need something that can store and stream video, run BitTorrent, and give me a heads-up when a drive needs to be replaced. No sophisticated user account setups, no fancy IT stuff.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Synology seems to be reasonably well liked. More expensive than DIY but reasonably quick.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Hi Jinx posted:

Why not use Linux? You have KVM and LXC for your VM needs and can have ZFS natively so you don't need a storage VM.

I would not run Storage Spaces from a Beta OS to be honest.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Cockmaster posted:

What does this thread like, as far as simple, inexpensive, user-friendly NAS boxes go? I just need something that can store and stream video, run BitTorrent, and give me a heads-up when a drive needs to be replaced. No sophisticated user account setups, no fancy IT stuff.

Synology or Qnap are pretty good.

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016

Cockmaster posted:

I'll second Synology. Given that it's a NAS, user account setups are something you'll have to live with however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Why not use Linux? You have KVM and LXC for your VM needs and can have ZFS natively so you don't need a storage VM.

I would not run Storage Spaces from a Beta OS to be honest.

Storage Spaces is non-beta in Server 2012... and the reason for not running Linux as the host OS is lack of familiarity. I'll get there eventually, but not for this project.