Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

Bloody Pom posted:

The old Gundam G-Reco thread in ADTRW. Some goon made SD versions of some of the mechs and I had to have the lil guy :3:

I totally thought it was a morbidly obese Tau fire warrior or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaradis
Nov 6, 2014

Baculus posted:

The comparison between GSF and a big university is very, very apt. When I first joined it reminded me a lot of being a freshman on a campus of 30,000 students... no idea what the gently caress I was doing and intimidated as poo poo. But then I made friends.

I think it's even worse than being a university noob. I graduated from a school with 36,000 students. I started an Eve sub a couple of times in the past only to always play for a few months and get bored with the boring corps I was getting into, so I am pretty much a noob. I've been thinking about resubbing and joining GW. Knowing some of the history of GW and knowing the learning curve in Eve, I feel like I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing trying to play this game much more so than when I was a freshman at uni.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

Zaradis posted:

I think it's even worse than being a university noob. I graduated from a school with 36,000 students. I started an Eve sub a couple of times in the past only to always play for a few months and get bored with the boring corps I was getting into, so I am pretty much a noob. I've been thinking about resubbing and joining GW. Knowing some of the history of GW and knowing the learning curve in Eve, I feel like I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing trying to play this game much more so than when I was a freshman at uni.

Pick a major - like FCing, or industry, or jewry... and just try it out. Change majors. Do so until you find something you enjoy.

Unlike college, you don't have an arbitrary time-limit and Sallie Mae isn't going to come hunt you down 10 years later, threatening to knee cap you for being a deadbeat. Although the existential crisis and feeling of achievement you have when you leave for good are another thing college and EVE have in common.

Zaradis
Nov 6, 2014

Baculus posted:

Pick a major - like FCing, or industry, or jewry... and just try it out. Change majors. Do so until you find something you enjoy.

Unlike college, you don't have an arbitrary time-limit and Sallie Mae isn't going to come hunt you down 10 years later, threatening to knee cap you for being a deadbeat. Although the existential crisis and feeling of achievement you have when you leave for good are another thing college and EVE have in common.

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't sure how changing majors would go over in GW. Also, good to know that no level of freedom will ever end the overwhelming terror of being alive.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Wormholes honestly kinda scare the poo poo out of me. I wouldn't mind farting around poking at rocks though. Anything beats flying another loving ewar cruiser.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

Baculus posted:

Combat's great but holy poo poo piracy is about as profitable as running an honest charity. What's some good jewry that meshes well with being a guttersnipe for the Great Mittens? Incursions?

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

The engineering of consent is the very essence of the democratic process, the freedom to persuade and suggest.
- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

Bloody Pom posted:

I'm strongly considering making a poor life choice by resubbing and making an alt. If I'm looking for chill times instead of Saranen hellcamps, would GROON be a better choice?

Or should I just throw caution to the wind and rejoin GW on my main?

EVE Online Starter Packs are .99 cents at Amazon (US) right now. Comes with 30 Days and a Cerebral Accelerator booster.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Blazing Zero posted:

his answer: artistic freedom~
real answer: hes a weirdo who also drew elsa's naked vagina

close. Artistic freedom is why I didn't think twice before posting it in creative convention. I made it because the character's owner and I thought it would be amusing.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Pale Peril posted:

EVE Online Starter Packs are .99 cents at Amazon (US) right now. Comes with 30 Days and a Cerebral Accelerator booster.

Neat. Can they be applied to existing accounts or would I have to make a new one?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Nazareth posted:

What is it like being a Goonwaffe member? I've heard wildly different stories, varying from Grr Goons to Laztel's chirpy positivity. What's the community like? What do y'all do for fun? Why don't you have any titans?

I lean more towards the Laz side of things, myself, but with a little more realism to it. Part of it is that I've been a SA goon for many years but didn't join Waffe until a year or two ago, so I've had a lot of experience in other Eve corps.

GSF is largely what you make of it. The major difference between GSF and most other corps in Eve (IMO) is that you have an absurd number of people who all like different things, and we try to provide for all of that -- whether it's mining, or ratting, or small gang PvP, or large gang PvP, or wormholes. It's not a uniform "we do $gameplaytype" group like many of the groups in Eve. There's a ton of internal communities inside GSF; if you don't join one, there won't be much to do except participate in mainfleets. Conversely, if you can find a group who does things you enjoy, there's tons of friends to be made.

I've heard an analogy that GSF resembles a really gigantic public university, whereas most of the corps in eve resemble focused vocational schools or lycées or North Korean pre-K in the case of TISHU. You've got room to do anything, so find what you want to do (even if that's "I want to try a little bit of everything and see what jumps out at me as awesome, and declare a major later") and you'll find people to do it with you. About the only downside of GSF, present war aside, is that it's not a good place for people with analysis paralysis.

fakeedit: It's also not a place for people who identify strongly with ships. If you think of yourself as "I am a supercapital pilot" first and foremost, PL might be a better option. (They also take "Sorry, I main McCree" players too!)

Xolve posted:

SNIGG#1

I think you meant HABIT#1

(Although, at least SNIGG didn't get its corp wallet emptied out due to a hairy RPer successfully scamming Viper Shizzle)

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Bloody Pom posted:

Neat. Can they be applied to existing accounts or would I have to make a new one?

You'd have to make a new one, and the accelerator only works on characters less than like.. 12 or 14 days old. But you could still sell half the crap that comes with it.

I'm surprised they haven't fixed the price, 99 cents has to be an error or CCP are even more desperate than previously thought.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Xolve posted:

SNIGG#1

You know what they say about being the top of a pile of poo poo...

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

hailthefish posted:

You'd have to make a new one, and the accelerator only works on characters less than like.. 12 or 14 days old. But you could still sell half the crap that comes with it.

I'm surprised they haven't fixed the price, 99 cents has to be an error or CCP are even more desperate than previously thought.

:whitewater:

I actually have a whole bunch of poo poo skilled on my main, so I'm not entirely sure I'd want to do that. At least the option's there.

Zaradis
Nov 6, 2014

Pale Peril posted:

If this worked for existing, but expired, accounts I would kiss you on the lips.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

If you main McCree you're probably not someone who is worth associating with.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

vyst posted:

If you main McCree you're probably not someone who is worth associating with.

same, also hanzo, icegirl and pigman

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

:crossarms: Wrong thread?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Xolve posted:

Spirit. Waning.

Nah. Its not related to EVE. I just have too many issues IRL and gaming as a whole is not in the cards lately.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

Dalael posted:

Nah. Its not related to EVE. I just have too many issues IRL and gaming as a whole is not in the cards lately.

Good luck, man. I wish you the best. Come back when you feel good about things.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

same, also hanzo, icegirl and pigman

Mei's only bad because of her Ice Wall; she's the only hero in the game who will actively bring a teammates' performance down (via shittily timed walls) if played poorly. With the rest of the cast, the worst they can do is fail to pull their weight (or place lovely teleporters, in the case of Symmetra). She's an active detriment with a lovely player, and a godsent with a decent player who understands the meta.

Gotta give props to Blizzard for making a game that's relatively hard to grief your own team with. Now if only they could fix the rampant hacking problem on PC...

Pale Peril posted:

Only benefits new accounts. At best, you can sell the Cerebral booster -- but even that isn't very useful given the state of skill injectors.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 8, 2016

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Xolve posted:

Worse things have happened- it's not like we lost 5 regions of space and money moons to Darkness and TEST or something equally catastrophic.

I know this post was a few hours ago, but did anyone reply with "Didn't want that sov anyways" yet?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, and speaking of Laz, check out this stream clip where a Hel straight up alphas his Tengu (with ganglinks) using Firbolgs:

https://www.twitch.tv/laztel/v/71158107?t=2h2m

In ten years of playing Eve, the current state of fighters is probably the biggest balancing misstep CCP has ever made. Yes, even worse than Svipuls. Yes, even worse than Skynet fibos. Yes, even worse than AOE DDs (because at least that was only limited to a handful of players, rather than a ship that can be built for less than 1B).

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 8, 2016

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Resubbed and requested to be pulled out of vacation. God help me. :shepicide:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

ullerrm posted:

Oh, and speaking of Laz, check out this stream clip where a Hel straight up alphas his Tengu (with ganglinks) using Firbolgs:

In ten years of playing Eve, the current state of fighters is probably the biggest balancing misstep CCP has ever made. Yes, even worse than Svipuls. Yes, even worse than Skynet fibos. Yes, even worse than AOE DDs (because at least that was only limited to a handful of players, rather than a ship that can be built for less than 1B).

That was straight hosed up. He'd just boosted to full shields (with full armor and structure) and then *poof*

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

Bloody Pom posted:

Resubbed and requested to be pulled out of vacation. God help me. :shepicide:

:shepspends:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

ullerrm posted:

Clearly they need to let Hels into the AT. It's the only way it will get balanced.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

ullerrm posted:

:laffo: holy poo poo

e: I think it was the Hel and Archon volleying at the same time though.

1001 Arabian dicks fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 8, 2016

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

ullerrm posted:

Yeah, hard to disagree with this. They've basically made the inclusion of one or two ecm ships with multispecs completely mandatory in any roaming gang.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

frozenpussy posted:

40% of my experience is getting hazed on Something Awful dot com for drawing an EVE character as Elsa from Frozen.

Another 40% is being reminded on Goon Fleet dot com that I am known for drawing an eve character as Elsa from Frozen.

The other 20% are normal friendly interactions with people who don't know about the EVE character I drew as Elsa from Frozen.

Hi friend,

I've seen your Elsa drawing and it does not bother me one bit. Please add a 0.0001% category for people like me who does not make fun of you for it.
Namaste.

Nazareth posted:

Good luck, man. I wish you the best. Come back when you feel good about things.

Thanks man :)

Dalael fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 8, 2016

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Bloody Pom posted:

God help me. :shepicide:

Sorry, I'm a bit busy at the time.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

ullerrm posted:

I've fought a Deimos and a Loki in a Caracal and I haven't seen something end so swiftly in this game. (almost won against the Deimos, mind you. Locked him under station turrets with warp disruptors. If it weren't for the 35s reload time on RLMLs I'd have won the brawl).

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Nazareth posted:

I've fought a Deimos and a Loki in a Caracal and I haven't seen something end so swiftly in this game. (almost won against the Deimos, mind you. Locked him under station turrets with warp disruptors. If it weren't for the 35s reload time on RLMLs I'd have won the brawl).

I once bought a Sabre, fought a Tristan and lost horribly.
Shame on me :cripes:

Fake Edit: And I think he was in Groon :argh:

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

ullerrm posted:

I think you meant HABIT#1

(Although, at least SNIGG didn't get its corp wallet emptied out due to a hairy RPer successfully scamming Viper Shizzle)

I don't have some weird attachment to Taylor Swift or Emma Stone.

So- SNIGG#1

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Xolve posted:

I don't have some weird attachment to Taylor Swift or Emma Stone.

So- SNIGG#1

nah israd is good

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

ullerrm posted:

Hel with 3 flights of Firbolg IIs and two faction DDAs has a missile volley of around 31k. Nidhoggur, around 26k. Oh boy, the volley equivalent of 2 or 3 Tornadoes each, how completely OP. Not really. Also, a reminder that the fighters only have a few volleys with 16 second cooldown each then they're down to their basic guns and have to be recalled to the carrier for rearm which takes close to 30 seconds if the fighters have been out for a while. So this had roughly the same equivalent of warping a gang of nados or maels and volleying him, for several times to a couple orders of magnitude more in cost and controlled by two people instead of 5-6.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Ambaire posted:

Hel with 3 flights of Firbolg IIs and two faction DDAs has a missile volley of around 31k. Nidhoggur, around 26k. Oh boy, the volley equivalent of 2 or 3 Tornadoes each, how completely OP. Not really. Also, a reminder that the fighters only have a few volleys with 16 second cooldown each then they're down to their basic guns and have to be recalled to the carrier for rearm which takes close to 30 seconds if the fighters have been out for a while. So this had roughly the same equivalent of warping a gang of nados or maels and volleying him, for several times to a couple orders of magnitude more in cost and controlled by two people instead of 5-6.
Tornadoes are not exactly known for their ability to apply damage to afterburning cruisers.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

LemonDrizzle posted:

Tornadoes are not exactly known for their ability to apply damage to afterburning cruisers.

150m/s at 40-50km range headed roughly away from whatever would be shooting is not really all that much, is it?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

LemonDrizzle posted:

yeah but one grappler and it would just fine?

I'm of the opinion that carriers are too strong, but i also believe that they should be made stronger just to piss off the hundreds of space honorable roamers and solo pvpers that so vehemently bitch about it.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

yeah but one grappler and it would just fine?

I'm of the opinion that carriers are too strong, but i also believe that they should be made stronger just to piss off the hundreds of space honorable roamers and solo pvpers that so vehemently bitch about it.

I don't see anything wrong with forcing capitals to kill capitals or biting the bullet and N+1ing the poo poo out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Xolve posted:

I don't see anything wrong with forcing capitals to kill capitals or biting the bullet and N+1ing the poo poo out of it.

I don't either, but I still think carriers are too strong in relation to supercarriers. Supers should be able to alpha active tanked cruisers, regular carriers should not.

I'm an armchair game developer, so if you want to hear my numerous opinions on game balance in CS:GO, League of Legends, Overwatch or Eve, pm me anywhere and anytime. :smuggo:

• Locked thread