Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

turboraton posted:

Best Hunter Exam part was Killua going: "I was THIS close of going all out and killing this old man (Netero)"

Yeah, right.

If Killua was scared of Illumi's nen instinctively, imagine the freak out that Zeno's or Netero's would have set off...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Andarel posted:

If Killua was scared of Illumi's nen instinctively, imagine the freak out that Zeno's or Netero's would have set off...

I thought that had to do more with the brainwashing needle than his instincts.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Logicblade posted:

I thought that had to do more with the brainwashing needle than his instincts.

A combination, I think.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Serious Frolicking posted:

Nen aside, I kind of doubt that there was a martial artist alive who could match Netero.

I thought that was a plot point, actually.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

jon joe posted:

A combination, I think.

Yeah, I don't think Illumi is any slouch at all. I remember he had that scary face when Hisoka joked (or not?) about killing Killua.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if there's anyone with the nen power of just being completely immune to all other nen. Make everything into a physical fight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jon joe posted:

I wonder if there's anyone with the nen power of just being completely immune to all other nen. Make everything into a physical fight.

I'm sure there's someone with like an Absolute Control Territory where you fulfill the condition and nobody can use their Nen inside or something like that.

They probably die because someone pulled out a gun and shot them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I remember participating in a Make a Hatsu thread years back in some random forum I don't even remember.

My idea was similar to that. The ability was it's user can force one person within eyesight into Zetsu state minutes at will or as long as long as he wants once he effects them. The downside is that he is forced into Zetsu as well while using it. Which is why he would want a decent partner to aid him in capitalizing on this.

Anyway looking forward to the upcoming chapter.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

jon joe posted:

That's basically a more evolved version of Potclean. For that, once active any attack either person makes against the other (including aura attacks) just causes the numbers to change but no damage happens. Granted if you do an attack that exceeds the debt you incur he'll eat the difference. So it comes down to a slugfest until either you can get your debt cleared, or you exceed your bank.

Going off the logic of how nen abilities work. I feel like any "Ability nullification" ability would have to be single target to be remotely practical.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Kurapika can force spiders into zetsu and it was by far the most powerful ability he had. Heck, in a one on one fight between human nen users it may be the most powerful ability we've seen in the manga. Of course, there are all those qualifiers to it. So as powerful as judgment chain is, it is still useless for groups, useless against non-humans, and useless against non-spiders (because Kurapika would instantly die).

But now that I think about it, Kurapika would have been pretty useless in general during the ant arc. He wasn't sure if Uvogin could break his chains, which means they are breakable. Even the crappiest soldier ant was physically stronger than Uvogin, meaning any of them could have broken any of Kurapika's chains even without the non-spider handicap. His normal method is to use his dowsing chain as a weapon, no? If that is no good, then he would be stuck with basic nen abilities unless the mysterious 5th chain was suited for it.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Kurapika can force spiders into zetsu and it was by far the most powerful ability he had. Heck, in a one on one fight between human nen users it may be the most powerful ability we've seen in the manga. Of course, there are all those qualifiers to it. So as powerful as judgment chain is, it is still useless for groups, useless against non-humans, and useless against non-spiders (because Kurapika would instantly die).

But now that I think about it, Kurapika would have been pretty useless in general during the ant arc. He wasn't sure if Uvogin could break his chains, which means they are breakable. Even the crappiest soldier ant was physically stronger than Uvogin, meaning any of them could have broken any of Kurapika's chains even without the non-spider handicap. His normal method is to use his dowsing chain as a weapon, no? If that is no good, then he would be stuck with basic nen abilities unless the mysterious 5th chain was suited for it.

What gives you the idea that the regular soldier ants were stronger than Uvogin? I'd personally bet that you wouldn't find any until you got the Royal Guard.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Eopia posted:

What gives you the idea that the regular soldier ants were stronger than Uvogin? I'd personally bet that you wouldn't find any until you got the Royal Guard.

Uvogin under zetsu, yes. That was the whole point of Kurapika going for him first. He wasn't sure if Uvogin could break the chains using just his muscles, but if Uvogin couldn't then none of the spiders could.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The ants most definitely were not stronger than Uvo, or at least, not every single one and probably most weren't, really. Gon crushed one of the ants in a bear hug at one point, even, and he definitely wasn't stronger than Uvo was. Heck, we got a few chapters of the Troupe just crushing the ants outright in various ways, so assuming all the ants were stronger than a guy whose contribution to the Troupe was basically just being really, really strong is odd.

Besides, Kurapika didn't know how hard to break his chains were, so he tested them on the strongest member of the Troupe. That doesn't mean that anyone stronger than Uvo could break the chains, just that Uvo was not strong enough when in forced zetsu. Also Kurapika usually uses his dowsing chain as a whip/mace type weapon, not a constricting one, so its ability to hold a foe wouldn't be a big factor there anyway.

Edit: This isn't to say that his skillset would have been exceptionally useful in the ant arc or anything. He definitely wouldn't have been the greatest asset there, though depending on things like if his healing chain could be used on other people he might have still been nice to have. I just think you're making some big assumptions.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 8, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
You seem to be confusing Uvogin's physical strength and his nen enhancement. He was a big guy and very strong, but not to a superhuman degree unless he used nen.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yah I checked the chapter where Uvogin slaughters the Mafia and the dude probably had nen on him the whole time.

It's why the sniper bullet didn't affect him and why he was able to tank a bazooka with his bare hands.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Uvogin under zetsu, yes. That was the whole point of Kurapika going for him first. He wasn't sure if Uvogin could break the chains using just his muscles, but if Uvogin couldn't then none of the spiders could.

Yeah, alright. I understand what you mean now. I had thought you meant how strong he was with his nen, as I hadn't remembered he was in forced zetsu when trapped in Kurapika's chain.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
But my point is, if a huge buff dude could possibly break Kurapika's chains, then an ant certainly could because even the shittiest ones were still physically stronger than any un-enhanced human. It is possible to make conjured items nearly unbreakable, but only with restrictions and Kurapika went in a different direction.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I guess my other point that I never actually explained is that ants are also very durable. Kurapika can gently caress dudes up all day with his dowsing chain because they have weak points. That is true even with nen, as using aura to defend has its limits. By contrast, ants easily survived losing limbs, being cut in half and having their heads dented in. How is a weighted chain that they can likely catch and break gonna do enough damage?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Again, your assumption that the chain is easily breakable is... Not really based on anything except a statement you're extrapolating way too much from. Kurapika fought Uvo with his nen with the dowsing chain, and Uvo was worried about getting hit with it because he saw the damage it was doing. He has since presumably dealt with many more nen-users with said chain, too.

Kurapika, who is extremely methodical, wondering if a superhuman man in a world where people without nen can move sixteen+ ton doors (remember the Zoldyck gates?) could break his chains without nen doesn't mean that his chains are fragile or easily broken, it just means that he is making absolutely certain that his abilities would work. Given that he'd have died if they didn't, I'm pretty sure he was sure the chains would hold anyway, mind.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 8, 2016

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
trained hunter x hunter humans arent normal humans, theyre manga humans. they can lift billion ton doors and stuff

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Law Cheetah posted:

trained hunter x hunter humans arent normal humans, theyre manga humans. they can lift billion ton doors and stuff

Which was presumably through unconscious Nen usage.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
thats not justified by anything in the text

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Which was presumably through unconscious Nen usage.

That's presented as a trait the entire main cast could do before they learned how to manipulate their aura.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

yeah gon could climb a tree by jumping like 20 feet at a time even after losing his nen

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

That's presented as a trait the entire main cast could do before they learned how to manipulate their aura.

people can use their nen without the ability to consciously manipulate it. Gon still had his aura at the end, just not the ability to perceive it.

Anyway its entirely possible that kurapikas chains would work on a few of the ants, namely the ones made from literal spiders.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tunicate posted:

people can use their nen without the ability to consciously manipulate it. Gon still had his aura at the end, just not the ability to perceive it.

Anyway its entirely possible that kurapikas chains would work on a few of the ants, namely the ones made from literal spiders.

Haw, that's a good loophole. I figure that if anyone was gonna subconsciously use their aura to get stronger it would be an enhancer. So, it might explain a few things Gon did like when he broke Illumi's arm. But then, I dunno how it would manifest for any other nen type so that theory may be flawed.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Speaking of loopholes, a friend of mine suggested you could break out of knuckle's ability by cutting off your little finger. Think it'd work?

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Tunicate posted:

Speaking of loopholes, a friend of mine suggested you could break out of knuckle's ability by cutting off your little finger. Think it'd work?

i dont see how hakoware could be busted by cutting off your little finger

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Kurapika was worried that Uvogin, while in zetsu would be strong enough to break Kurapika's nen enhanced chains, he's definitely super strong nen or no. And super strength definitely isn't just unconscious nen use, that's pure fan speculation that is supported by nothing whatsoever in the text.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I like how this Origin story actually lacks an origin

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Who told you this? Gon wasn't using nen against the solider ants except to block, at one point he literally crushes an armadillo ant with his bare hands.

The Royal Guard were almost certainly stronger than Uvogin, but all the other ones that's a definite no. They are all physically stronger than normal humans, but the troupe and especially Uvogin were far beyond any ant we ever saw outside of the Royal ones.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jun 8, 2016

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
the squad captains were fairly strong, zazan especially. i'm betting guys like leol and hina were pretty much above gon without use of nen, with reinforcement it's another story though

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Wild Horses posted:

the squad captains were fairly strong, zazan especially. i'm betting guys like leol and hina were pretty much above gon without use of nen, with reinforcement it's another story though

That they were. But Uvogins physical strength is easily above all of the ones we saw except maybe the queen ant.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Kurtofan posted:

I like how this Origin story actually lacks an origin

It shows very clearly how Hisoka became a murder clown. :colbert:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

drjuggalo posted:

i dont see how hakoware could be busted by cutting off your little finger

Because the ability is themed after predatory yakuza loans, and the way you pay off a bad debt to the yakuza is through yubitsume.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Asuron posted:

Who told you this? Gon wasn't using nen against the solider ants except to block, at one point he literally crushes an armadillo ant with his bare hands.

i thought simply using ten increased your strength

Mugticket
Sep 13, 2011

Was the show/comic consistent with the characters having that white aura around them when they were using nen to enchance themselves?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
During the fight with the armadillo Gon explicitly used nen. Like, with a big half page panel and a sound effect to emphasize that point. Why the heck would anyone who knows nen not use it when their life is on the line? No one is that dumb, not even Gon the suicidally stubborn monster child.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Mugticket posted:

Was the show/comic consistent with the characters having that white aura around them when they were using nen to enchance themselves?

The comic is, i think, though it's more subtle in the comic since it's in black and white anyway.

During the fight with the armadillo Gon explicitly used nen. Like, with a big half page panel and a sound effect to emphasize that point. Why the heck would anyone who knows nen not use it when their life is on the line? No one is that dumb, not even Gon the suicidally stubborn monster child.

You say that, but despite being told to practice his ten every single day, Gon was out of his coma for at least like 18 hours, during which time he climbed the biggest tree in the known world before he even noticed he'd lost his aura. But yeah I agree there's no way he wasn't using nen in a life or death fight like that. Once people learn nen it's hard to sort of draw the line between how much is raw muscle and how much is nen enhancement, but being super strong even without nen is definitely a thing in Hunter x Hunter. I always thought the arm wrestling results from the Troupe were meant to demonstrate how strong the Troupe was without using nen. I mean, Gon never suspected anything from Shizuku when arm wrestling and vice versa even though aura use would be both visible and you'd probably feel it if you held hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Asuron posted:

That they were. But Uvogins physical strength is easily above all of the ones we saw except maybe the queen ant.

The Queen Ant could not fight that was mentioned about her. Also any Nen User has their strength and durability enhanced just by using nen, even if they are not an enhancer. They were more or less always using it after a certain point. Uvo was always using it for example. The Ants without Nen were more impressive then any human we saw without Nen. Take Rammot. He got zapped by Killua and Janken Punched by Gon and while it did some damage he was still capable of fighting. While this would have utterly wrecked or killed any human.

After Heavens arena everyone was pretty much always using Nen by default. Uvo could probably lift or toss out a few tons without Nen but Nen was largely the reason why he was impressive.