Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Why not just give killer bees word of torment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

Why not just give killer bees word of torment.

smite targeted rPois- that also poisons you

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

a large bee that splits into several smaller bees upon death, trj-style

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

A Bee version of Saint Roka named Beesus.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
A bee that can throw bees to you, and those bees can then throw you into the main swarm of bees.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Change abyss to the abeeyss, a terrible infinite world of bees (contains the honey rune)

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Beecrabs, crabs that are made of bees and often spawn alongside their counterpart, crabbees.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

level 9 poison/summoning: bee storm

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
A god to cater to the playstyle, Cheibeeados. He prefers it when you bumble about instead of buzzing all over the place.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
bees with weapons? what is this, dungeonmans

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Poison Mushroom posted:

A god to cater to the playstyle, Cheibeeados. He prefers it when you bumble about instead of buzzing all over the place.
Meanwhile, Beeogh, the hateful god of bees, demands that his beeish followers exterminate all other forms of life in the dungeon.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

bee crabs. :colbert:

e: crabbees???

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bees with multiple stingers, that multiply if you cut them off with non-flaming blade.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

C7ty1 posted:

Krabbies?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Or the dogs who have bees in their mouth, so when they bark they shoot bees at you.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

C7ty1 posted:

Crabs and Queen Crabs.

Bring back Hive but make it full of Crabs.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Octobees

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
And in more depressing news, Norris is no more.

Rest in peace, nihilist death cultist surfer.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Obviously paving the way for the new Surfer enemy, who spawns in Shoals and uses Norris' tile. :smith:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I mean was Norris ever a significant threat?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The game desperately wanted me to think he was since he was almost always red when he showed up but I was never afraid of him.

...I mean I apparently should have been since he has paralyze in his spell set and that's the most bullshit spell. I just never saw him use it. Too busy spamming int drain and smite.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I always confused Norris and Rupert. Sometimes fatally.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

The game desperately wanted me to think he was since he was almost always red when he showed up but I was never afraid of him.

...I mean I apparently should have been since he has paralyze in his spell set and that's the most bullshit spell. I just never saw him use it. Too busy spamming int drain and smite.

Don't worry, XTAHUA has learned Paralyze to fill the void :getin:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Who'll replace Norris in the Red Sonja map?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

One time Norris spawned with an artifact buckler and was bloody impossible to kill. That was the only time I really had problems with Norris.

Honestly the red dragon is even less notable for me than Norris, and I don't think this will change that.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Man, why'd our good friend Norris have to get culled? Was he screwing things up somehow? This is a cut I'm really curious about.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

FulsomFrank posted:

Man, why'd our good friend Norris have to get culled? Was he screwing things up somehow? This is a cut I'm really curious about.

code:
He's a sphinx with a buckler and Invisibility.

He's an old unique with a muddled spellset and nothing valuable beyond
Paralysis on something with unique-level HD and defenses. He's got a
slightly uncomfortable theme of being a nihilist death cultist that
doesn't really invigorate his hex spells. Some people like his tile
once have a surfboard and still resembling a surfer without it, but
this isn't really enough to keep running with.

Late game is lousy with brutal, newer uniques from a few years ago,
so throwing old Norris out might help with such a glut. If somebody
can think of and test out a good, defining spellset using some spells
not as prominent as invis / para / confuse / smiting, maybe they can
bring him back, but none have really come forward.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
He was very redundant with Rupert, which IMO is more significant than the Sphinx thing. They're both beefy melee dudes without heavy armor who try to paralyze(or confuse) you and both appear at around the same point in the game.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Bring back surfboard. Then give him Injury Mirror (nihilistic death cult attitude kept) and Waterstrike with the Water Nymph water moving thing while keeping paralyze. Change his habitat to Amphibious and make him a Shoals only unique.

EDIT: Hell, use the merfolk system however it works so he is on surfboard when on water tiles and holding it when on land.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 8, 2016

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

World Famous W posted:

Bring back surfboard. Then give him Injury Mirror (nihilistic death cult attitude kept) and Waterstrike with the Water Nymph water moving thing while keeping paralyze. Change his habitat to Amphibious and make him a shoals only unique.

That would be pretty great, although Shoals has the most uniques of any Lair branch already I think (2 instead of 1 for the others).

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Arivia posted:

That would be pretty great, although Shoals has the most uniques of any Lair branch already I think (2 instead of 1 for the others).

That just means the other branches need two more uniques each to make up for it :colbert:

Oh god, I would never get all of them killed for the tournament.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

World Famous W posted:

That just means the other branches need two more uniques each to make up for it :colbert:

Oh god, I would never get all of them killed for the tournament.

More uniques (monsters/items) are never a bad a thing in my book.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You would get them long before you got Dissolution, Murray, Ignacio and Tiamat.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So what's a good stealthy/stabber setup? I've been playing tons of big strong stompy dudes, I want to try something smaller and quieter.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Arivia posted:

So what's a good stealthy/stabber setup? I've been playing tons of big strong stompy dudes, I want to try something smaller and quieter.

Anything Dithmenos? Spriggan? Kobold? Vampire?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I can never get Stabber characters to work later in the game. I always get to about the Lair branches and the hexes, small blades, and everything else starts falling off hard.

Probably just need to focus on another weapon skill before then, but drat am I bad at that play style.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You don't need another weapon skill if you get a good enough short blade. I've done up thru Zot with just highly enchanted quickblades/rapiers.

Hexes eventually fall off but hopefully by then you've been sinking enchant scrolls into weapons and also probably getting other stuff. I like to branch into summonings, especially since I often find book of beasts and can grab Summon Mana Viper, which is a Great Spell and is half hexes.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

World Famous W posted:

I can never get Stabber characters to work later in the game. I always get to about the Lair branches and the hexes, small blades, and everything else starts falling off hard.

Probably just need to focus on another weapon skill before then, but drat am I bad at that play style.

Yeah, I've always wondered how you would do extended as a stabber but I guess you have to be willing to swap weapons and get tanky when you inevitably aggro an entire zig/pan/hell floor?

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
Alternative directions for stabbers includes going more deeply into other casting options to give yourself more to work with.

Gozag is a relatively strong stabber God as well, you can buy stuff to help you transition to mid-late game and gold distraction will help you get a good number of kills. Or for a three-rune game, Kiku with a pain short blade and necro support spells / zombies for distraction stabs works well.

Vine Stalkers have their antimagic bite which can do serious work with the high rate of attack from a short blade, so you never have to change weapon types.

Also, don't be afraid to put more than 12 or 14 points into short blades, once your fighting skill is up, it will further improve damage even if you are at mindelay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Remember that high stealth means it's easier to break away from groups as soon as you are out of Line of Sight. Combine with a blink and any aggro is hunting around the last place you were rather than where you are now. This is absolutely helpful in Pan and less so in Hell due to hell effect spawns knowing exactly where you are when they pop in. I wouldn't do Zigs with a primarily stabbing build because there's no room to operate in, nasties that you want distracted tend to have enough MR to resist Discord and (barring the cloak with evocable fog) no non-consumable way of breaking Line of Sight in close quarters.

• Locked thread