Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
I know this is a perennial bugbear but I just made the mistake of trying to buy something online with a Korean credit card.

Seriously.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck Korean web culture. It is The Worst Thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

joedevola posted:

I know this is a perennial bugbear but I just made the mistake of trying to buy something online with a Korean credit card.

Seriously.

Get the app for the QR code thing. It's amazing. So easy.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

joedevola posted:

Seriously.

Last night MY GIRLFRIEND was trying to buy an airline ticket with her Lotte card. The process opened up a second window for her to enter her credit card information. That second window though had its frame locked at a very specific size. This wouldn't be too bad except the confirmation button was located below the bottom of the window frame and you couldn't scroll. Unless you knew that you could tab between fields, you would never be able to give the company your money.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
We tried for half an hour to buy tickets to Jeju on MY GIRLFRIEND's Korean card before giving up and using my American card that took like 10 seconds.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Almost everything in China is less functional than Korea, but the internet stuff is generally better (though still terrible by American standards). Shopping online and paying for things took about six months to set up, but once I was done it's now only slightly more annoying than Amazon.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
This morning some high schoolers came by my apartment and gave me a flag. So now I'm reppin hard.

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
I'm procrastinating from doing report cards (for my elementary teaching job at home that I got after 5 years in Korea) and just happened to stop by and see the international school chat. I have a few things to add.

When I was in Korea working on my credential (online), I had to do classroom observations. At various points, I visited and observed at both Gyeonggi-Suwon and Busan International Foreign School. They are both IB schools (I specifically saw the Primary Years Program), and I was incredibly impressed. Small class sizes, a really great curriculum (I'm a big fan of IB), etc. I believe the school in Busan, in particular, had quotas for the number of Korean students admitted. It really did feel like a diverse international student body (instead of just a school entirely made up of foreign-born Koreans).

I would totally feel comfortable sending my kids to a place like that. I also believe that, if you work at an international school, your children can typically attend for free. It's definitely something my husband and I will be considering in the future (not necessarily back in Korea, though).

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015
Anyone have any experience getting replacement bike inner tubes in Seoul? I'd rather not bother with ordering online.

I bought a folding bike that had a punctured tube but was otherwise in alright shape. I'm planning on using this thing as a commuter since my daily route isn't that far.

I've been to a handful of bike shops and the Yongsan emart today. Granted, said bike shops seemed to focus more on the high end bikes, but nobody carried anything. Plenty of pumps and accessories, but no tubes at all.

Is bike maintenance not at thing people usually do themselves here, or am I just not hitting the right places?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

"Oh, I have a flat tire. Better buy a new bicycle."

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
You need to go to a bike repair shop, not a bike shop. I don't know why these are different things either.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Whizbang posted:

You need to go to a bike repair shop, not a bike shop. I don't know why these are different things either.

plenty around hongdae, for some reason, if that helps you

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015
Thanks, I'll check out hongdae next. Anything's better than trying to lug a cheap, heavy steel framed bike with flat tires on a crowded subway, just to replace some busted inner tubes.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

theravenpope posted:

Thanks, I'll check out hongdae next. Anything's better than trying to lug a cheap, heavy steel framed bike with flat tires on a crowded subway, just to replace some busted inner tubes.

.... do the wheels not come off?

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

Maybe if you posted your neighborhood someone could help find something closer to you.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

I miss you all. I'll be back in chat in a few weeks :smith:

ps. bike dude try typing "자전거 수리" in daum maps.

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015

ladron posted:

.... do the wheels not come off?

Ha, slipped my mind to ever consider popping those out. This opens options.

superm0nk posted:

Maybe if you posted your neighborhood someone could help find something closer to you.

My commute is from hbc to daeheung, so nearby those areas is where I've been looking.

nervana posted:

ps. bike dude try typing "자전거 수리" in daum maps.

Thanks, I tried that last night after bike repair was mentioned being a separate place, and walked to a result that was south of itaewon. Turns out they've close down. Across the street was another shop that wasn't in the search results. He seemed willing to sell me tubes but then just wanted me to bring the bike in. I think just I'll try bringing the wheels in today. I'll keep looking for extra tubes to pick up for next time.

theravenpope fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 7, 2016

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Whizbang posted:

notably different from Bike Repair Shop, a poorly named men's clothier you can find in department stores

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
You could also just order spare tubes from gmarket

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
Apparently I have had the incredible luck of every dedicated bike shop I have been to has also been a repair center? God bless Gangwon. :kimchi:

I think I'd like to nominate Shinan County (신안군) as 'worst shithole in Korea' what with their salt farm slavery and now students' fathers raping teachers.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

oldman posted:

Apparently I have had the incredible luck of every dedicated bike shop I have been to has also been a repair center? God bless Gangwon. :kimchi:

I think I'd like to nominate Shinan County (신안군) as 'worst shithole in Korea' what with their salt farm slavery and now students' fathers raping teachers.

And also possibly murdering the male teacher that was looking out for the teacher initially?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Gildiss posted:

And also possibly murdering the male teacher that was looking out for the teacher initially?
Wait what?!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Never change, Korea

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

ladron posted:

I have a feeling that you're the kind of person that makes a lot of bad decisions.
The word you are looking for is goshiwon 고시원

I think it was actually love motel but this was about 4 years ago so whose to know.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

astr0man posted:

You could also just order spare tubes from gmarket

This. Or go to any real bike shop. Not the lovely samchully places, but a legit bike shop. They'll be able to help you out, or at least tell you where to go. It sounds like you'll need smaller tubes than a normal bike if it's one of those small Brompton style bikes. However, Bromptons are really popular these days, so finding 20" tubes shouldn't be an issue.

guri
Jun 14, 2001

theravenpope posted:

For the record over in Hapjeong this is the shop I always used when I was in Seoul. I really miss this nice old guy -- http://dmaps.kr/264ay

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
Hello again!

I have been determined to find a way to Korea and I did it! I was approved for an H-1 visa and will arrive in Seoul at the end of August.

I am a fledgling recurve archer and am thinking I might try to bring a bow setup with me. I was doing some research and it seems that Olympic-style archery is not a hobby the way it is in the US and it's hard to find open ranges, but is it impossible? Does anyone know where I might be able to shoot, even if it's just a hay bale set up in the middle of a park?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
http://www.hwalsarang.com/

I went to this place.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

district 12 posted:

Hello again!

I have been determined to find a way to Korea and I did it! I was approved for an H-1 visa and will arrive in Seoul at the end of August.

I am a fledgling recurve archer and am thinking I might try to bring a bow setup with me. I was doing some research and it seems that Olympic-style archery is not a hobby the way it is in the US and it's hard to find open ranges, but is it impossible? Does anyone know where I might be able to shoot, even if it's just a hay bale set up in the middle of a park?

There's a big archery range by my place in Daegu. If we have one, Seoul has to.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
whoops, meant to make that a PM

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
Depends on where you live, there are several around Gimhae.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
I'll be in Seoul, around Mapo-Gu for at least the first month. Mokdong looks like my best bet. Thanks!!

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
Oh poo poo, someone with a real job™

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Maxsmart posted:

Oh poo poo, someone with a real job™

I don't think a working holiday visa constitutes a real job™

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Are there even any jobs you can do in Korea with a whv?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

uguu posted:

Are there even any jobs you can do in Korea with a whv?

bartender, which is a great job for meeting people

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

oldman posted:

Korea's Florida.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I don't remember who the goon was who posted that excellent list of rock music back in the day, but Jambinai just released their latest album and it's pretty awesome.

They Keep Silence

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

ladron posted:

bartender, which is a great job for meeting people

Is Korean proficiency a requirement? It'd be cool to bum around there for a couple of months I think.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

uguu posted:

Is Korean proficiency a requirement? It'd be cool to bum around there for a couple of months I think.

desired, may not be required....plenty of opportunity to practice, tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
I have a lot of connections outside of bartending/waitressing and will hopefully find something more along the lines of my career path, but yeah it's not A Real Job. I just really wanted to get there for more than three months and have the opportunity for income.