Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Toady made more in March than I make in a year :negative:
I mean I'm part-time and only work a few days a week, but still, god drat.

I think Patreon has just been really good to him. It's super easy to set up a token monthly donation and forget about it. Before I threw him maybe 50 bucks every few years when a major update came out. Now I just give him 5 bucks a month, me and a couple of hundred other people.

Edit: I just checked and toady gets $4300 from 1350 people every month.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reading
Jul 27, 2013

SirPenguin posted:

This is like the 3rd computer Toady has lost due to completely unrealistic circumstances. Software can't trash computers like that

Toady has the computer and technical skills of your average dad yet is also programming the best game of all time. What a story.

I agree that installing a new compiler doesn't "trash" a computer. I can't believe that these two messed up the installation of a program (or just a feature in a program like a new compiler for his IDE) in windows so badly that their computer got wrecked.

I wonder if what they really mean is that windows upgraded itself to 10 and that ruined everything.

RabidGolfCart
Mar 19, 2010

Excellent!
I haven't played for a few years, can you still make super-dense quantum refuse/stockpiles or was that patched out?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

RabidGolfCart posted:

I haven't played for a few years, can you still make super-dense quantum refuse/stockpiles or was that patched out?

Yeah you can still do it very easily with minecarts.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

RabidGolfCart posted:

You can do it the same way you've always been able to do it. Single tile garbage dump zone.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

reading posted:

I agree that installing a new compiler doesn't "trash" a computer. I can't believe that these two messed up the installation of a program (or just a feature in a program like a new compiler for his IDE) in windows so badly that their computer got wrecked.

I wonder if what they really mean is that windows upgraded itself to 10 and that ruined everything.

Could be a combination of a project being set to run overnight and a CPU cooler clogged with cat hair. I wrecked a GPU some years ago in similar circumstances, smoking inside is not only gross, but it'll wreck your compy.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

necrotic posted:

Yeah you can still do it very easily with minecarts.

Minecarts are great because they let you not just do it, but automate it. The only hard part, TBH, is the track, but after that it works beautifully.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

darthbob88 posted:

Minecarts are great because they let you not just do it, but automate it. The only hard part, TBH, is the track, but after that it works beautifully.

Yeah, the amount of fiddling you have to do for it to work is a bit annoying. Having stockpile presets saved with DFHack helps a bit, but you still have to manually select them for the route.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
In the time it takes you to fiddle with minecarts you could just get your 60 haulers to move all the rocks out of your way.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Met posted:

In the time it takes you to fiddle with minecarts you could just get your 60 haulers to move all the rocks out of your way.

Not really. Like most things in DF it's really fast once you get it down to muscle memory.

Not to mention that you can use minecart quantum stockpiles to sort things, and actually use your dump for dumping.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Can we get a list of all the completed Goon LPs? Or at least the recent ones? the last one I read was the one with the swamp and nolio. Coppershoots, was it?
I have archives so if it's in the archives but not the LParchives, it's not an issue.

Also, speaking of, I'd be sort of interested in seeing an LP of Adventure Mode. It sounds so loving incredible if you really get into it, but I find that some of it is even more arcane and obtuse than Dorf mode.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Nolio was Gemclod I think.

Since then we've had Bronzestabbed and Fogwall, although the latter sort of petered out.

Currently Stonewealth is ongoing. If the fortress falls, I'm hoping that thread will continue with few adventure mode LPs set in the same world, until people get bored or decide to found a new fortress.

Talking of Stonewealth, here's a question for the thread: what would be the easiest way to create an annotated map of major sites with placenames?

The game will print out some nice maps for you, but the sites are unlabelled and I can't figure out if there's an efficient way to discover where in the world a given site is, other than open up adventure mode and manually explore, which would be a hell of an undertaking.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Can we get a list of all the completed Goon LPs? Or at least the recent ones? the last one I read was the one with the swamp and nolio. Coppershoots, was it?
I have archives so if it's in the archives but not the LParchives, it's not an issue.

I want to say Syrupleaf was the one in the swamp (were there zombie dwarves too? if so then yes). And I wanna say Headshoots was a sequel to it? Or vice-versa?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Drone posted:

I want to say Syrupleaf was the one in the swamp (were there zombie dwarves too? if so then yes). And I wanna say Headshoots was a sequel to it? Or vice-versa?

It went Boatmurdered -> Headshoots -> Syrupleaf. All three of those are on lparchive.org. After that came Gemclod, which was the one with Nolio and is archived here: http://gregshort.net/goondorfs/gemclod/

I don't know if/where Bronzestabbed is archived.

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 6, 2016

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Maugrim posted:

I don't know if/where Bronzestabbed is archived.

sflwoop

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Aren't all the SA ones on the LP Archive?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
No - the person running the archive (baldurk) apparently doesn't like archiving multiple LPs of the same game and had to have his arm twisted even to archive three of them. After that, no more.

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jun 7, 2016

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Bronzestabbed is what I was thinking of but couldn't recall the name of, thanks!
Is there a link to Fogwall? I don't even remember that one at all.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Isn't Fogwall the one where an overseer made a contraption to turn everyone into vampires and interest promptly tanked because everyone was immortal and boring?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I don't recall immortal and boring being what killed interest when I was overseer

I thought it was the opposite: people got bored of the overly detailed, never ending death toll

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I have no problem admitting that I killed fogwall by being awful but I'm 99% certain i didn't leave it in anything resembling an unloseable state

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It is entirely possible that I'm misremembering what happened, I kinda stopped paying close attention towards the end

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Found Fogwall:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662143&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Looks like it had a conclusion of sorts - it didn't just trail off the way I thought I remembered.

I dunno, I think deliberate overseer shenanigans on that scale just don't appeal to me. Personally, the ideal is to have inexperienced overseers creating !!fun!! by accident, but small-scale fuckery also works if you keep it in character and don't render the game unplayable for the next person. The Fogwall vampire experiment was cool but so drastic that there wasn't really anywhere for the narrative to go after that.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Along those lines, I forget which LP it was, but there was one that did some pretty forced Resident Evil-esque poo poo with some contrived shadow corporation called Parasol Corp that just felt really tacked on. I'd really like it if this LP stayed away from grandiose, over-arching things like that, since once everything was laid down, it just felt like a lovely fanfic.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 8, 2016

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

I think that one was Headshoots. It's one of the three in the archive, anyway.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
The LPs have been a victim of their own success, they get too much attention and there are too many overseers trying to force a narrative they've come up with themselves rather than let one emerge from the game.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Jamsque posted:

The LPs have been a victim of their own success, they get too much attention and there are too many overseers trying to force a narrative they've come up with themselves rather than let one emerge from the game.

I had a rule when I was overseer, that if I couldn't actually change the environment as part of my story, that I couldn't tell the story. Too many times people are telling stories that aren't happening. The best is when people just fill in the blanks when some amazing event happens or when some cool fight results occur.

That said, I liked Leperflesh's backstory for Bronzestabbed, which I thought was the best DF LP from a story perspective. Some of the earlier ones were definitely more fun, except Headshoots which was way too forced, but the later ones seemed to be either too story dense or overseers tried way too hard to make their turn the most amazing turn anyone had ever seen.

What I'm trying to say is that the state of DF LP literature has declined since the time of Bravemule, and we're a sorry pack of rats living on the ruins of our more accomplished ancestors.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

neogeo0823 posted:

Along those lines, I forget which LP it was, but there was one that did some pretty forced Resident Evil-esque poo poo with some contrived shadow corporation called Parasol Corp that just felt really tacked on. I'd really like it if this LP stayed away from grandiose, over-arching things like that, since once everything was laid down, it just felt like a lovely fanfic.

Close, Scamtank. That's most definitely Syrupleaf, the players' "in-canon" successor to Headshoots. Fun to read about as a creative writing project, not so much to play (I assume). Narrative LP is cool, but puts a lot of pressure on people who might just want to play the dang game, while others get a bit too far in and force their story on everyone else with little basis in the game. Its a precarious balance to keep things interesting without just making poo poo up.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

TildeATH posted:

I had a rule when I was overseer, that if I couldn't actually change the environment as part of my story, that I couldn't tell the story. Too many times people are telling stories that aren't happening. The best is when people just fill in the blanks when some amazing event happens or when some cool fight results occur.

That said, I liked Leperflesh's backstory for Bronzestabbed, which I thought was the best DF LP from a story perspective. Some of the earlier ones were definitely more fun, except Headshoots which was way too forced, but the later ones seemed to be either too story dense or overseers tried way too hard to make their turn the most amazing turn anyone had ever seen.

What I'm trying to say is that the state of DF LP literature has declined since the time of Bravemule, and we're a sorry pack of rats living on the ruins of our more accomplished ancestors.

There's a really good book on this topic: "Rejecting Boatmurdered: A Discussion of Bravemule's Influence on the Bronzestabbed Saga" with a preface that details the rise of dwarven literary criticism in the post-Gemclod era.

It's referenced in: "Debating the Meta: Why Won't Nemo Just Die Already?", "Beware the Journals: Medical Records of Post Letsplay Fanfic Disorder", "HEED! - 10 Easy Steps to Avoid Purple Prose", and "The Little Overseer That Could (Engrave Cheese): An Exploration of Ludonarrative Dissonance in Dwarven Art"

Yes, I copy-pasted that from the Bronzestabbed thread

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Maugrim posted:

No - the person running the archive (baldurk) apparently doesn't like archiving multiple LPs of the same game and had to have his arm twisted even to archive three of them. After that, no more.

Which is weird cause there is 5 LPs of Chrono Trigger on there. Not to be a backseat webhost but....

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

Leal posted:

Which is weird cause there is 5 LPs of Chrono Trigger on there. Not to be a backseat webhost but....

depending on how old those are, they may predate baldurk; a great volume of old LPs are from a previous admin whose name escapes me.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I have to agree that I tuned out of Fogwall when it was updates a thousand words long with nothing but combat log after combat log. The occasional one in interesting, a whole update of them. Nope!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm more interested in seeing how people design fortresses and hearing about the weird poo poo that kind of naturally happens over time, because 90% of the time some random nerd's exercise in creative writing is way less interesting than they think it is.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

TildeATH posted:

I have a confession to make. I had several friends twisting my arm in private to make me put my hand up for a turn during Bronzestabbed. I didn't actually really want to do it. I did it anyway to the best of my ability, but I had a panic attack when I won the turn (Don't expect me to put my hand up for that ever again, by the way).

For myself, I set myself a goal of making it all about the people there. Every event I wrote about happened, though I freely admit now that I charged the names on a regular basis where possible to others of the same sprite, just so I could tell more stories about different dwarves. I felt a failing of the dwarf fortress LP's I had read was that all too many people have their dwarf mentioned when they show up, then hear nothing of them for five years before an overseer tacked on "and then <goondwarf> was killed by a sparring accident/goblin".

Also, crazy overseer is done to loving death.

Grey Hunter posted:

I have to agree that I tuned out of Fogwall when it was updates a thousand words long with nothing but combat log after combat log. The occasional one in interesting, a whole update of them. Nope!
I yelled at Leperflesh about that a lot when he was finishing bronzestabbed. Eventually he turned off invasions like I had been telling him to do for several weeks. Combat is very hard to write well and interestingly.

Personally, I think the DF LP has been done to death. The game hasn't changed enough to make new ones viable, and they are a victim of their own legend and popularity.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Pickled Tink posted:

Personally, I think the DF LP has been done to death. The game hasn't changed enough to make new ones viable, and they are a victim of their own legend and popularity.

as far as the boatmurdered community fort format goes, I agree

that said, I'm looking forward to the day when there's enough meat on the diplomacy/site interaction bone to make community worlds interesting enough to post post post

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Maugrim posted:

Found Fogwall:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662143&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Looks like it had a conclusion of sorts - it didn't just trail off the way I thought I remembered.

I dunno, I think deliberate overseer shenanigans on that scale just don't appeal to me. Personally, the ideal is to have inexperienced overseers creating !!fun!! by accident, but small-scale fuckery also works if you keep it in character and don't render the game unplayable for the next person. The Fogwall vampire experiment was cool but so drastic that there wasn't really anywhere for the narrative to go after that.

It's mostly my fault. I knew who the vampire was for the length of my playthrough, but I basically just locked him up for the next overseer in a silver room, I should have just left him to roam free.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I captured another goblin siege in cages. Can people tell me about their favorite prisoner execution methods? I've been using the old 20 level mass pitting death shaft with spikes at the bottom but they just explode on impact and that gets old. I want to do something more droll like feeding my prisoners to a tamed hippo or using them for target practice or something.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Shibawanko posted:

I captured another goblin siege in cages. Can people tell me about their favorite prisoner execution methods? I've been using the old 20 level mass pitting death shaft with spikes at the bottom but they just explode on impact and that gets old. I want to do something more droll like feeding my prisoners to a tamed hippo or using them for target practice or something.

I always just strip them and feed them to the militia, myself, or leave them caged in the dining hall. I'm surprised you managed to catch a whole siege, though. In my experience of late, squads hit the first trap and then stop, milling around my entrance. What was your cage field design?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

scamtank posted:

that said, I'm looking forward to the day when there's enough meat on the diplomacy/site interaction bone to make community worlds interesting enough to post post post

Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Did the DFHack crash related to building constructions ever get solved or at least clarified? I've got a hankering to try a towerfort.