Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

PerrineClostermann posted:

Wait, the thread got locked?

It really deserved it.

Chapter both continued the steady creep of fan service and had awesome stuff happen. Here's hoping we get more awesome stuff next chapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
This chapter might be the truest to the thread title yet.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

More of the good parts of this chapter and less of the bad parts of this chapter in the future, please.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Start of chapter: Very hype.

Middle of chapter: Very hopeful!

End of chapter: Very much less hopeful...

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
So Kirie won the race.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Angry Grimace posted:

So Kirie won the race.

All's right with the world :colbert:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

this raises a lot of very odd questions

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Excluding that which we aren't talking about being worse this chapter, the weirdest thing was that out-of-place realistic panel with mostly Japanese-featured humans. Even in UQ Holder Akamatsu's been using his generic half anime humans, half magic sentient beasts crowds. From how the Ala Rubra/Alba members are acting either it's brainwashing or illusions?

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Probably just less effort to do somewhat realistic humans for gigantic crowds. Most of their faces are just dots/lines and the panel that shows them again all naked are more or less empty faces. We're not looking at them way close up. The materials section in the original also had faceless humans for massive crowds. Also, all of the Ala Rubra/Alba are probably just replicated puppets, remember that they were developing fake bodies for Magic Worlders to come over to Earth in the original.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

pinegala posted:

Excluding that which we aren't talking about being worse this chapter, the weirdest thing was that out-of-place realistic panel with mostly Japanese-featured humans. Even in UQ Holder Akamatsu's been using his generic half anime humans, half magic sentient beasts crowds.

I just figured that it was his assistants doing the scut work and drawing something that was more their own style in a filler panel or something like that. But yeah, that was weirdly out of place.

pinegala posted:

From how the Ala Rubra/Alba members are acting either it's brainwashing or illusions?

InfinityComplex posted:

Also, all of the Ala Rubra/Alba are probably just replicated puppets, remember that they were developing fake bodies for Magic Worlders to come over to Earth in the original.

Yeah, I agree they're likely an illusion of some sort, because there's no way that both Yue and Nodoka stayed that young this far into the future. Said as much when they first appeared with Negi outside the space station at the beginning of chapter teaser prior to the race starting all those weeks back.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I hate to admit it, but that was actually really funny.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I am pretty confused by all of this.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
Speculation:

Is there a chance that both Yukihime and Fate just misunderstand the situation and that while Negi has indeed merged with the Mage of the Beginning, he's personality still exists and is trying to save the the MotB. i.e. Negi is the actual protagonist of UQ Holder and the thread title was the truth all along!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Wait, I thought the girl clone was affiliated with Fate.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

ConanThe3rd posted:

Wait, I thought the girl clone was affiliated with Fate.

No, the girl clone is with Negi/MotB. Setstuna and Konoka clones were with Fate.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Man, rereading the chapter last night after I was too blinded by the hype during my first time around to notice that Nodoka and Yue were holding Diarum Ejus and Orbis Sensualium Pictus in their hands respectively in that next to last page splash. Rakan's sword also looks like one he would've pulled from his artifact, and Al looks as smarmy as he usually is there too.

Maybe they're not illusions, but the MotB can probably make constructs of his companions based off of Negi's memories, and seeing as how she (IIRC) originated the Pactio system, likely do something to make those constructs have their pactio artifacts as well.

This just got a lot more dangerous for Eva, Touta, and the other Numbers members of Holder present, as well as the other girls there. Hype levels still building!

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 9, 2016

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
This has to go one of two ways, either:

This is all an illusion by the MotB or some other big bad as a show of force to stop Eva/Fate from trying to get Negi back since they need him

or

That actually is the real Negi/Rakan/etc. who have been working on some big, long term plan that Eva and Fate are either opposed to or don't have all the information on.

Sacrificing himself to be possessed by the MotB is totally something Negi would do, but I just cannot see Rakan and Al of all people being possessed/manipulated against their will.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Alternate option: that's the real Al, Rakan, Yue and Nodoka, from the past, being tricked into helping TMOTB.

If TMOTB managed to somehow shield themselves from the mind-reading diary (or give it fake readings), it would simply be a matter of going back in time and telling Negi's friends "Hey, I'm Negi from the future, these dudes want to kill me and I could use your help." Time travel does esist in this setting, after all.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
New raws. Looks like poo poo is getting cray cray.

Yue and Nodoka loving some poo poo up

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Wait is nodoca in this now?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Namtab posted:

Wait is nodoca in this now?

and Yue! :<

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Those raws tho

I really like Touta.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, those raws make me wish the chapter was out already even since I saw them Sunday night. Just another couple of hours to see the context of what's going on there!

Nodoka (or a clone of her or whatever that is witht he MotB) using Diarum Ejus to pretty much it's fullest effect against Holder only makes me want to find out the full context behind what's going on here with her, Yue, Rakan, Al, and the MotB. I have a feeling that the new chapter will only lead to more questions though. Still hype.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 15, 2016

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

It's out on Crunchyroll. Wow. :eyepop: Good chapter!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Silento posted:

It's out on Crunchyroll. Wow. :eyepop: Good chapter!

Link for the lazy.

And that chapter fully lived up to the hype stoked by the raws... Dat Nodoka cat-like grin face too during her intro was great, plus Rakan's intro by Karin fit him to a tee.

Asuna sealed timeline confirmed by Yue. Also, clone theory to replace Asuna and Negi confirmed by same, though the Amater Industries project mentioned by Yue is new. Wasn't the name of Negi's ancestor down the royal line of Ostia via Akira, named Amater? Who also originated the pactio system too? Callbacks ahoy.

And yes, both Nodoka and Yue (or the clones of them of whatever) have their artifacts operating at pretty much full strength. Negi still a player though, what with his embrace of Eva there.

Touta trying to take the fight to people even Eva says she can't fight is totally him though, especially after he tells his grandfather to get his hands off of his woman. Doesn't even let the girls get recovered from Negi's exclamatio stripping sneeze before he tries to take the fight to his grandfather/MotB and kiss Kirie, but gets chumped by Rakan and Nodoka respectively while doing so as expected after seeing the raws.

Nice to see that Karin realizes how much trouble they all are in with the crew they're facing right now and how she shows it to the rest of the Numbers hanging back

As I thought, answers this chapter just led to more questions. Hype levels increasing for next week!

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 15, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Seems like it's actually them. Not sure why they're evil though.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
If Side-Stick was truly made by Ku:nel Sanders as we suspected when it was introduced, shouldn't it be able to tell whether this one is real or not?

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
That'd mean the sword would have to be around, and I think he left it somewhere. :v:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It begins

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
It's interesting how many of their personal quirks every character here still display, including Negi himself. Is it possible that TMotB has actually possessed all of them at once? I think it wasa stated earlier that these five were the ones present for the final battle, maybe they all got a piece of its power.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

It's interesting how many of their personal quirks every character here still display, including Negi himself. Is it possible that TMotB has actually possessed all of them at once? I think it wasa stated earlier that these five were the ones present for the final battle, maybe they all got a piece of its power.

That could explain why It doesn't seem to have a complete hold on Negi.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
Nice to be reminded how powerful Nodoka is.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Twiddy posted:

Nice to be reminded how powerful Nodoka is.

And we haven't even seen what Yue can do yet. Was hoping for invincible crone Yue, but I'm happy with where this is going.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

wow now that she's not on the protagonists' side Nodoka's power seems kind of bullshit

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

U-DO Burger posted:

wow now that she's not on the protagonists' side Nodoka's power seems kind of bullshit

The enemies and allies alike talking about how bullshit it was wasn't enough? Or those realizing what she's doing targeting her first?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

U-DO Burger posted:

That's what the villains all said!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

It's okay though, because the protagonists also have multiple different kinds of bullshit on their side.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I'm glad UQ Holder seems to be back to fights between bullshit. I don't mind the hijinks chapters but those really shouldn't stretch out too long.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

PerrineClostermann posted:

The enemies and allies alike talking about how bullshit it was wasn't enough? Or those realizing what she's doing targeting her first?
This was one of my favorite parts about Negima, that they acknowledged how OP mind reading was. She basically had to be written out of every fight, by having the villains figure out what she did and targeting her immediately.

It's kind of refreshing to see battle manga acknowledge how important information is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaDimension
Feb 18, 2013
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/06/15/big-uq-holder-announcement-planned

A "big announcement" is coming with the new chapter next week, but no hints on what it will be. What do you all think it is? A UQ Holder anime possibly?

• Locked thread