Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Bushiz posted:

Its kind of a stupid argument but it's just as valid as attacking trump for railing against Mexico stealing our jobs while making trump brand suits in Mexico.

No it's not. Clinton isn't running on the platform that the very country she farms her personal line of clothing out to needs to forcibly removed from this country.

Cugel's entire argument is if you run on a platform of fixing income inequality you can't look nice on TV and you can't own nice things. Which is loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

The Aardvark posted:

A jacket? She should be wearing a potato sack dress and covered in dirt!

If she did that then we'd hear complaints that her potato sack isn't genuine and probably didn't even contain potatoes at one point.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bushiz posted:

Its kind of a stupid argument but it's just as valid as attacking trump for railing against Mexico stealing our jobs while making trump brand suits in Mexico.

"A presidential candidate wore expensive clothes while speaking about inequality" is not the same as Trump being openly racist against Mexicans while using cheap Mexican labor for his products. What is wrong with you people making this kind of god awful argument. You seriously think she should dress down in some Goodwill clothing before talking about inequality or what? :psyduck:

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Cugel the Clever posted:

FTFY

Anyone have refutation for the point made about her giving a speech on economic inequality in a $12k jacket? Was the meme accurate?
High Sparrow for Prez.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedAndrew/status/740400413619453952

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Evil Fluffy posted:

" You seriously think she should dress down in some Goodwill clothing before talking about inequality or what? :psyduck:

...yes.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I think buying ultra-expensive clothing is really stupid, but what Hillary (or anyone else) does with their own money is their own business. How does that effect her policies?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Do you have any idea what time it is? I'm up far too late for non-self-amusing writing tone.

Lotka Volterra posted:

Tbf anyone who would wear a $12k article of clothing is kinda contemptible. Not really a reason to single Hillary out as particularly awful, though, she's just a normal rich person anywhere.
This. Anyone who would argue otherwise is either kneejerking against a perceived attack on someone they like, genuinely so privileged that they don't understand why it is a problem, or trolling.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Amazing as it'd be to see Trump potential face RICO charges I'm going to guess that's iffy at best. Though with how insane this whole election season has been, having Clinton not get charged for the email non-issue and then Trump get charged for fraud after losing the election would be amazing even though it might make (more) of the militant white wing militia types go insane.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

You seriously think she should dress down in some Goodwill clothing before talking about inequality or what?

What a phony, pretending she shops at Goodwill when she earns a million dollars a speech.

How can anyone vote for such a pandering phony baloney?

I'd at least respect her if she'd stop insulting her supporters' intelligence and dress like the millionaire she really is.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 8, 2016

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Raerlynn posted:

No it's not. Clinton isn't running on the platform that the very country she farms her personal line of clothing out to needs to forcibly removed from this country.

Cugel's entire argument is if you run on a platform of fixing income inequality you can't look nice on TV and you can't own nice things. Which is loving stupid.

And trump can make the argument that he's just doing what's necessary to remain competitive, even though he may not like it.

Also it's pretty disingenuous to downplay a 12k jacket as "looking nice for television." and make a dichotomy between that and goodwill. That price is high end at Gieves & Hawkes, and would buy multiple complete outfits from other world-class tailors.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Chantilly Say posted:

Don't you live in like Spokane? Glass houses, dude.

I don't think I'd have gotten a chance to vote for Kshama Sawant in Spokane.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Sanders giving a speach in a few minutes

http://www.c-span.org/video/?410777-1/bernie-sanders-addresses-supporters-santa-monica-california

e: looks like he isn't getting there for ~10 minutes, and then will get on stage after that

TeenageArchipelago fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 8, 2016

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh god, does the primary being over mean we're gonna have to deal with 5 months of 'Hillary is an ideologically impure devil' now? Never mind I change my mind Sanders better stay in if it'll keep posters like you out of here.

Probably because Sanders and Hillary in reality have pretty different economic viewpoints, especially regarding taxes. They should be in different parties but aren't because of how the US electoral system works.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Oh my god they're playing Muse :stare:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I know people are starting to try and cover their own rear end and shift some blame but jesus christ if even half the things in this politico article are true.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/bernie-sanders-campaign-last-days-224041

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
No really you jacket offers really just want any reason to not like Hillary. It's dumb just say how you feel about Hillary without grasping at stupid reasons to not like someone.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I know people are starting to try and cover their own rear end and shift some blame but jesus christ if even half the things in this politico article are true.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/bernie-sanders-campaign-last-days-224041

I guess it is one of those articles you have to already have to hate bernie to see what the point is.

I do think the whole "we are going to get the super delegates on our side" line was very awkward thing to push but that was mostly a way to justify staying in to the convention.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 8, 2016

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

DemeaninDemon posted:

No really you jacket offers really just want any reason to not like Hillary. It's dumb just say how you feel about Hillary without grasping at stupid reasons to not like someone.

This is DnD, when did being an unrepentant wealthy white person become a not valid reason to dislike someone?

Seriously, though, her being a typical rich person is the least of my concerns with her.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Ardennes posted:

I guess it is one of those articles you have to already have to hate bernie to see what the point is.

Actually it sounds like Bernie is, like you, just a bitter crybaby. Which is a shame since I used to really look up to him.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I bet Hillary got the jacket for free. Famous people get free poo poo all the time to advertise the fact that they're wearing a certain name, that's pretty much how all the really fancy First Lady dresses are as well.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Actually it sounds like Bernie is just a bitter crybaby. Which is a shame since I used to really look up to him.

It sounds like he is trying to keep the campaign going to the convention, and to be honest, I don't see anything beyond the "super delegate" issue as really that bad. I mean the article is written as it was an entire meltdown but I read the entire thing was scratching my head.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
We got bernsign.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?410777-1/bernie-sanders-addresses-supporters-santa-monica-california

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

can someone make a video of Sanders being introduced as the next president of the united states, and then conceding? thanks in advance

e: not that he has conceded, I just think that it is coming

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Yoshifan823 posted:

I bet Hillary got the jacket for free. Famous people get free poo poo all the time to advertise the fact that they're wearing a certain name, that's pretty much how all the really fancy First Lady dresses are as well.

Free designer poo poo is usually limited to exhibition pieces at fancy dinners and red carpet events, showcasing the next season, and are typically bespoke or made to measure. The Armani jacket is off the rack. It's fairly unlikely to have been a gift from the label.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I can feel it, he's done.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

It sounds like he is trying to keep the campaign going to the convention, and to be honest, I don't see anything beyond the "super delegate" issue as really that bad. I mean the article is written as it was an entire meltdown but I read the entire thing was scratching my head.

Some people resent the idea that Sanders is still making moves to try to win the nomination, I think because if you believe that "he was only in it to push the party and the platform to the left", that he shouldn't be trying to do that anymore given his status in the race.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Bernie seems tired/sad, might be leading up to a dropout? I sure hope so

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

JosefStalinator posted:

Bernie seems tired/sad, might be leading up to a dropout? I sure hope so

if nothing else it looks like he is laying off a lot of staff
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/08/us/politics/bernie-sanders-staff-cuts.html

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

Some people resent the idea that Sanders is still making moves to try to win the nomination, I think because if you believe that "he was only in it to push the party and the platform to the left", that he shouldn't be trying to do that anymore given his status in the race.

The question is "pushing the party" having Hillary taking some of his stances or him fighting all the way to the convention to maximize his impact? I mean it makes sense he is fighting hard because he didn't believe the fight was truly over until he had influence over the platform.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
He's mostly going in on "right wing Republicans" and the need to stop Donald Trump, who he reminds us built his campaign "on bigotry."

He's done, and he's transitioning to full support. I think that Politico article was full of poo poo.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

We're talking about someone for whom an absolute and necessary job requirement is appearing as impeccably dressed and composed as possible in literally all publicly-visible moments, an expensive jacket is a particularly eyeroll-worthy thing to get worked up over. Can you do it for less? Sure, many world leaders do. But it's like complaining that a professional mechanic is using high-grade custom-made tools when yeah, technically speaking you can do a serviceable job with merely high-end off-the-shelf products. If you're in a position where paying for the best will earn you a few less snarky tabloid headlines then why not?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GalacticAcid posted:

He's mostly going in on "right wing Republicans" and the need to stop Donald Trump, who he reminds us built his campaign "on bigotry."

He's done, and he's transitioning to full support. I think that Politico article was full of poo poo.

I'm okay with either, honestly. I just hope he got/gets an adequate number of concessions.

Heck, if he doesn't, that's some confirmation that Hillary would be a more effective executive and maneuverer. :haw:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
He is staying in.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
"Next Tuesday we continue the fight" Yup looks like he's staying in.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Ardennes posted:

He is staying in.

holy poo poo he wasn't joking about being bad at math

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think Michigan broke his brain some.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

The question is "pushing the party" having Hillary taking some of his stances or him fighting all the way to the convention to maximize his impact? I mean it makes sense he is fighting hard because he didn't believe the fight was truly over until he had influence over the platform.

I agree.

There is a case to be made that he should keep his campaign running regardless just to make sure that his campaign planks maintain visibility and impact, but then people might also say that continuing to run a competitive campaign is just going to siphon-off time needed to concretize the opposition to Trump as well as continuing to gel a "nobody but Bernie" faction (which I personally believe to be statistically insignificant), but I don't really think either assertion is provable and whether it is a benefit or a detriment to Clinton's chances in general is also dependent on how the "stay in until the Convention" strategy is conducted anyway.

I mean if you think about it, he can't not go after the Superdelegates without looking like he's too stupid to know how a nomination works.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Let's rub this poo poo into the ground. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Night10194 posted:

I think Michigan broke his brain some.

don't look at me, I voted for chillery