Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

wiegieman posted:

You guys at CDPR are never allowed to watch Asterix again.
It should have been called The Place That Drives You Mad

I really love that quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It was too on-the-nose for me but the game's earned the occasional moment of dumb humor.

I still can't get over that ridiculous dwarves quest right before you find Ciri, though, it's such a mood killer.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Oxxidation posted:

It was too on-the-nose for me but the game's earned the occasional moment of dumb humor.

I still can't get over that ridiculous dwarves quest right before you find Ciri, though, it's such a mood killer.

I'm sorry, you're upset that the Seven Dwarves show up in the Fairy Tale Fantasy game?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
There's a lot of tongue in cheek humor in the books next to some of the most poignant moments between characters and while I think that quest was a bit out of place, if the setup was more serious I might have just quit crying and having to explain to my game-hating wife why I'm crying instead of actually finishing the game as CDPR intended. Maybe it could have been done better, but I didn't feel it was awful and distracting exactly.

The time investment and pacing is a huge difference between watching a TV show or movie compared to games and it's why I get a bigger impact out of grinding through hundreds of enemies for my e-reward versus sitting on my couch slack-jawed for maybe 70 minutes to maybe 20 hours. It's a fine line between making players rage quit and continuously motivating them.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm sorry, you're upset that the Seven Dwarves show up in the Fairy Tale Fantasy game?

:yeah:

It's also meant to be annoying and throw you off-balance. It's pretty much the same thing as the paperchase quest.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 8, 2016

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

hemophilia posted:

It's possible he didn't take her to Vizima at all. This is what I did. I basically did what he did, on top of entirely not bothering with that. I also got the Ciri as a witcher ending.

Bryter posted:

Did you take the reward for delivering her to Vizima?

e: oh, of course you didn't, misread that.

I guess you only need to meet two of the conditions to get the witcher ending. If you had gone to Vizima, she would've been dead whether or not you took the gold.

That's gotta be it then, I basically ignored Emhyr because he seemed like a dick. I guess it still needs 3 prereqs, but ignoring Emhyr still counts for you and doesn't generate a flashback

Palpek posted:

Also you seriously owe it to yourself to play through the bad ending because imo it leaves you absolutely speechless with how masterfully it's pulled off. It's my favorite ending in all of AAA gaming.

After I'm done with B&W I want to replay as a piece of poo poo bloodthristy Geralt and go for this one, just to see if the narrative still hangs together. The game certainly gave me a lot of opportunities to off people that I didn't take pretty much at all the first time through.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I suddenly want to play and learn Gwent a little

This annoys me because I know 100% certain I've permanently missed a card in Velen from mister bloody and OCD compels me

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Ciaphas posted:

I suddenly want to play and learn Gwent a little

This annoys me because I know 100% certain I've permanently missed a card in Velen from mister bloody and OCD compels me

If you didn't get it before, you should be able to get his Gwent card by going back to his study in the castle and looking for a small box of cards on a table behind his desk.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Man Gourmet is ridiculous(at least in the early game). Makes Sun and Stars redundant too.

Also how much do places of power boost a sign? Wondering if the skill that makes them permanent is worthwhile.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Syndlig posted:

If you didn't get it before, you should be able to get his Gwent card by going back to his study in the castle and looking for a small box of cards on a table behind his desk.

Oh

Well even in that case there's still the red tick on the Velen Gwent players quest and that bugs me too :v:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

So I noticed that I had a bug with the new mutation slots in B&W.
I researched my 8th mutation but the third slot didn't unlock. Looking at the tooltips the very top slot said it needed 2 mutations to unlock, so it seems that the very first unlock is bugged and it unlocks them out of order leaving the first one forever locked.
However I found a mod on the Nexus, this one here and it's unlocked the bugged slot for me.
I did go back to the save I had just before I researched the 8th mutation, so I personally don't know if it's retroactive. If you have this issue play about with it, one of the few comments on it mentions swapping the active mutations and menus to get it to trigger.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Wow, the Skellige deck seems nuts. The Alchemist in Beauclair keeps throwing down Cerys and that card alone is basically 40+ points, because she musters longships with her which have that trait that multiplies their score when multiple are present. So in his case, he throws down Cerys (10 points), then TWO longships (6 or 8 points each, I can't remember), and it's just... "oh hey yeah you lose".

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!
Does anyone know why my Geralt sometimes takes literally no damage from an enemy type? They don't even scratch him. I'm playing NG+ on Deathmarch and wondering if it's a scaling issue with some enemies or forms of attack.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Gonkish posted:

Wow, the Skellige deck seems nuts. The Alchemist in Beauclair keeps throwing down Cerys and that card alone is basically 40+ points, because she musters longships with her which have that trait that multiplies their score when multiple are present. So in his case, he throws down Cerys (10 points), then TWO longships (6 or 8 points each, I can't remember), and it's just... "oh hey yeah you lose".

The Cerys card is hands down the best gwent card in any deck. She musters 3 shield maidens with tight bond who have a combined score of 36, add in Cerys at 10 and you get 46 just off her card.
I've seen the berserker cards get really high scores too but I haven't played them too much because you need all of them plus either Ermion or a Mardroeme in your hand and the odds of that are much lower.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Gonkish posted:

Muster and Tight bond on the same card? :stonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah I wasn't too big a fan of Skellige as a deck (it's okay but no Nilfgaard) but Cerys is an insanely good card.

I do love the Skellige deck if only because the storyline around it is so funny - "STOP loving WIT' OUR GWENT! :argh:"

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

jneer posted:

Does anyone know why my Geralt sometimes takes literally no damage from an enemy type? They don't even scratch him. I'm playing NG+ on Deathmarch and wondering if it's a scaling issue with some enemies or forms of attack.

Are you dodging? Footwork is a mandatory skill.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Helith posted:

The Cerys card is hands down the best gwent card in any deck. She musters 3 shield maidens with tight bond who have a combined score of 36, add in Cerys at 10 and you get 46 just off her card.
I've seen the berserker cards get really high scores too but I haven't played them too much because you need all of them plus either Ermion or a Mardroeme in your hand and the odds of that are much lower.

Yes that's it. It's Shield Maidens. Dunno why I was thinking longships. But yeah, Cerys is a straight up amazing card, and ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT to play against. She drops 46 points single-handedly. It's ridiculous. I kinda want that card.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

They should have explored Gwent more even within the mechanics that are now in the game. For example have some underground Gwent Fight Club where you're allowed to mix cards from different decks or you're limited to certain types of cards or some cards are banned (spies) and you have to rethink your deck around that. Things like that would have been cool.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 8, 2016

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, if Cerys gets played against you and you don't have some sort of Scorch or Biting Frost or insane card advantage it's best to just forfeit that round because 46 from a single card (82 with a horn) is pretty ridiculous.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Palpek posted:

some cards are banned (spies)

This is how wars start, Palpek :mad:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Jerusalem posted:

This is how wars start, Palpek :mad:
Geez, then have a rule that every card is additionaly a spy. Spy vs spy wars.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Palpek posted:

Geez, then have a rule that every card is additionaly a spy. Spy vs spy wars.

Every card has Tight Bond but only if you sing PAM PARAAAAAM the entire game.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Here's a pretty good Russian cover of the Gaunter O'Dimm theme.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Spies are really badly designed but I'm not really sure how to fix them other than giving them to every deck or completely removing them. Maybe turn them into tutors instead of card draw?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

Spies are really badly designed but I'm not really sure how to fix them other than giving them to every deck or completely removing them. Maybe turn them into tutors instead of card draw?

It's easy to balance them, just increase in two points their power. So what was before a 4 power spy, now it's giving 6 points to the enemy's power. Now imagine he uses a horn, that's 12 points he wins with your card. It still would be good (2 more cards!), but not as good as before.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

WrightOfWay posted:

At least a couple of decoys in your deck are handy since you can pull an opponent's spy off your battlefield and then use it on theirs. Especially handy if they've got a clear lead, if you add to it by dropping their own spies back down on them the AI is likely to react by playing MORE cards and extending their lead further. So you end up with more cards, they play their big points in the first round and end up with less cards in their deck, and then you can smash them in rounds 2 and 3.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

It's easy to balance them, just increase in two points their power. So what was before a 4 power spy, now it's giving 6 points to the enemy's power. Now imagine he uses a horn, that's 12 points he wins with your card. It still would be good (2 more cards!), but not as good as before.

That doesn't stop you from playing all of your spies in the same round with the intent to lose it and just take advantage of your card advantage to win the remaining two. Unless you change them to autoplay anything you draw, which is an interesting option.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

So I never played any of the witcher games before The Wild Hunt, I've been catching up on the story and I really really dig it.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Jack of Hearts posted:

I tried getting rid of the minimap during the Novigrad section of the game, and I regretted it. Now that I'm on to Skellige, it'll be more manageable, right?

I actually enjoyed Novigrad a lot more when I got rid of the minimap, because now I was actually navigating around a city and looking around, instead of moving an arrow on a plane until something happened.

I just wish you could swap the minimap for a simple compass.

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

Anyone have a weird bug in B&W where Roach can't cross bridges?

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

OKAY.

So in Gwent news. I am missing half the big city players, not done a couple of gwent-tasty sidequests and have done none of the friends sidequest or a certain skelliger with a cool rear end spy. That being said, my go-to is nilfgaard. With the amount of heroes and 2 of them rezzing 10 power archers/tight bonded cards, man...So well-rounded.

That being said, my favourite deck? monsters. It has absolutely steamrolled a few guys my northern realms and Milfgaard were getting spanked by. This deck is still missing all but 1 vampire card and two arachas. Yet it still burns the place down. After I went very underlevelled in a couple of Skellige quests to help fill it out a bit, man oh man. Crone and arachas first turn with either horn/leader horn and next turn just throw down mad 10 power heroes.

Tonight I will be hunting down the arachas and vamp cards (that are available to me) as well as completing big city players. I'll probably never touch anything but monsters again until I get to B&W.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most
Hm so in the new dlc I found a weird little thing. In the monster den north of Mont Crane Castle, there's a small pond, and above it is an illusory wall. However, I can't find a way to get up to it, and it seems like there's some dodgy invisible walls stopping me from going around up to it. It's also hard to search for online since it's just a monster den, and I forget what lorebook was inside it. There's also a weird altar thing in there, so is it possibly for a mission I haven't done yet?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Trompe le Monde posted:

Anyone have a weird bug in B&W where Roach can't cross bridges?

That's been a problem since the release of the base game. Just make sure you jump while you're going over bridges.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Welp, finally beat Blood and Wine. Did almost every quest in the game besides the Gwent ones. ~350 hours put into the game since it was released according to the in game counter. Got the good endings for the base game and both expansions.

Kinda sad now.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I have two major and insurmountable gripes with Blood and Wine.

1: Aerondight does not fit into its sheath or any other sheath and it made me self diagnosed with OCD.
2: There's no place in Corvo Bianco to place Geralt's most treasured possession - the drawing of him and the little girl he saved.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

While it's a long game I don't know how people manage to spend over 300 hours in it. That's enough for several playthroughs to see different endings but even then you'd have to go for a 100% run each time to clock in that much. It's not a criticizm because hell, play things as much as you want, I just don't really know what takes people so long as it's not really a sandbox title like Skyrim.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Palpek posted:

While it's a long game I don't know how people manage to spend over 300 hours in it. That's enough for several playthroughs to see different endings but even then you'd have to go for a 100% run each time to clock in that much. It's not a criticizm because hell, play things as much as you want, I just don't really know what takes people so long as it's not really a sandbox title like Skyrim.

I cleared every single point of interest in the game except for a bunch of underwater ones in Skellige (although I did do quite a few of those too).

Never gonna do a second playthough though.

edit: just checked and it was 344 hours.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jun 8, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

ghetto wormhole posted:

I cleared every single point of interest in the game except for a bunch of underwater ones in Skellige (although I did do quite a few of those too).
Yeah, I did that too. It took me 100 hours. All side-quests, contracts etc. No cutscene skipping, taking my time. Some of it was also just riding around, trying to cheat the economy by experimenting with selling items in various places, just riding the boat between Skellige islands, level grinding as well. Yeah, I don't really get it.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jun 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Palpek posted:

Yeah, I did that too. It took me 100 hours.

Come to think of it I think the in game timer might be bugged.

I didn't speed run by any means but I didn't waste too much time goofing around. I didn't keep track any other way but 344 hours does seem...really, really high. Most of my playtime was over a year ago so I can't remember too clearly but that's 8 hours a day for 43 days which I most certainly did not do. I seriously doubt I did even 200 hours now that I think about it. And I barely even touched Gwent.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jun 8, 2016