Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

HUMAN FISH posted:

I always thought that Li was Claes Anderssons daughter, thank you TS for telling me I'm wrong.

Her father is a well known industrial artist. This is his work: http://www.tampere.fi/taidemuseo/kokoelmat/taidekilpailu.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kemper Boyd posted:

They usually have free guided tours of the Cathedral in the summer once a day, so you might want to check that out. Some of the stuff they got there is mindboggling. Btw, if you visit the Castle, have at least three hours reserved because it's huge. Forum Marinum next to the Castle is also cool as hell and they just re-did their basic exhibition.

Otherwise, visit Cosmic Comic Cafe so you can get plastered with Jerry Cotton. Go down to Kakskerta (one of the islands you can get to with a bus ride) and go swimming in Kakskerta lake. It's the nicest beach around.

Places to avoid: Mantun Grilli, Hummpub, Jyrkkälä.

We visited the castle basically every year when I was in school (because it was cheap I guess) and I've never seen most of it because large parts were being renovated for 20 years. I should go now that it's mostly open.

Also :lol: Hummpub but also agree.

Go to Pomponrahka there are 100000 different spiders there and you're a pompo so you'll fit right in.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

she's Bruce Li's daughter

lol

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
go to tinatuoppi

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I do not find Li Andersson generally disagreeable so she is an ok choice. She has a stupid stance on nuclear power but so has the entire rest of the left for some loving reason.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Wait, I thought Li was a Green.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Elukka posted:

I do not find Li Andersson generally disagreeable so she is an ok choice. She has a stupid stance on nuclear power but so has the entire rest of the left for some loving reason.

What's her stance on nuclear power?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Cerebral Bore posted:

What's her stance on nuclear power?

Probably pro-renewable energy sources. Which to me is a good idea.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Darkest Auer posted:

Wait, I thought Li was a Green.

You mean like a reptilian?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rexroom posted:

Probably pro-renewable energy sources. Which to me is a good idea.

Nuclear energy is renewable if you want to get technical.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Elukka posted:

I thought we had moved beyond pro/contra nuclear power stances now that we have proved beyond reasonable doubt that we actually can't build a nuclear plant without it turning into an enormous financial fiasco and shitfest.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, there's a pretty significant difference between believing that Satan resides in the foul plutonium and that Olkiluoto 3 is a godforsaken decade-long piece of poo poo of a project and the money thrown into that black hole could have gone to better use.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah if only they'd built solar panels instead, we know construction problems, delays and cost overruns only happen with nuclear power

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
As far as I understand, it's less about cost overruns and delays than about Areva using the cheapest labor and materials possible and STUK insisting on proper inspections and, you know, not having a catastrophic accident in the first five years because "eh, it's good enough" isn't really good enough for nuclear power plants.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Solar panels don't rack up cost overruns in the billions of euros either. But I suppose that it's heartening to know that GP still hasn't found an example of corporate malfeasance and corner-cutting that he won't support.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kemper Boyd posted:

They usually have free guided tours of the Cathedral in the summer once a day, so you might want to check that out. Some of the stuff they got there is mindboggling. Btw, if you visit the Castle, have at least three hours reserved because it's huge. Forum Marinum next to the Castle is also cool as hell and they just re-did their basic exhibition.

Otherwise, visit Cosmic Comic Cafe so you can get plastered with Jerry Cotton. Go down to Kakskerta (one of the islands you can get to with a bus ride) and go swimming in Kakskerta lake. It's the nicest beach around.

Cool, thanks! :)

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

Kemper Boyd posted:

What's wrong with Mantun these days?

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Buffalo squeeze posted:

What's wrong with Mantun these days?

Kinda half-joking about how one gets one's rear end kicked there.

Unironically I'd avoid the grilli at the cathedral because they are really bad about hygiene.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

Kemper Boyd posted:

Kinda half-joking about how one gets one's rear end kicked there.

Unironically I'd avoid the grilli at the cathedral because they are really bad about hygiene.

Oh, okay, thought it was a quality thing like Krema you mentioned, which was good back when mummot ran it.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cerebral Bore posted:

Solar panels don't rack up cost overruns in the billions of euros either. But I suppose that it's heartening to know that GP still hasn't found an example of corporate malfeasance and corner-cutting that he won't support.

You're right, solar panels wouldn't suffer from overruns or delays because (insert CB logic here)

And yeah, it's too bad that Areva built the plant instead of the government, which has a great track record. Who wouldn't want a French company to bear the costs for the overruns when the Finnish government can?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Cerebral Bore posted:

Solar panels are environmentally destructive as all hell and have a substantial cost overrun in the form of "eh it isn't even worth operating them, just build and scrap to lose less money".

Concentrated solar is a decent idea in places called "not loving Finland". It would probably be cheaper to rent land in Greece and produce the power there and build the infrastructure to power Finland that way than to try solar power this far north. Wind power brings in a decent amount, but you also need base production - where your options are pretty much hydro, nuclear and coal, and we're already using all the hydro we can without converting vast stretches of erämaa into power generating regions.

Meanwhile, nuclear works fine if people like Areva or Kokoomus aren't cutting enough corners to turn the project into a perfect sphere. It's the kind of project where you need to commit to doing it right, though, and if there's something the Finnish governments of past 20 years can't do to save their lives, it's to commit to an idea.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

endlessmonotony posted:

Solar panels are environmentally destructive as all hell and have a substantial cost overrun in the form of "eh it isn't even worth operating them, just build and scrap to lose less money".

Concentrated solar is a decent idea in places called "not loving Finland". It would probably be cheaper to rent land in Greece and produce the power there and build the infrastructure to power Finland that way than to try solar power this far north. Wind power brings in a decent amount, but you also need base production - where your options are pretty much hydro, nuclear and coal, and we're already using all the hydro we can without converting vast stretches of erämaa into power generating regions.

Meanwhile, nuclear works fine if people like Areva or Kokoomus aren't cutting enough corners to turn the project into a perfect sphere. It's the kind of project where you need to commit to doing it right, though, and if there's something the Finnish governments of past 20 years can't do to save their lives, it's to commit to an idea.

Things went fine before Kokoomus got out of the opposition shame corner.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

endlessmonotony posted:

solar power does better in finland than in germany, but yeah it won't ever be a major energy source here, but it could and should be increased

building solar plants in greece would be a smart move, but building a siirtoverkko through europe would be retarded and the energiahäviöt would be massive

nuclear is the only option for us, it's just a pity that our retards paid corrupt frogs to hire polish puliukot to build the plant

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Also solar energy doesn't need to be used to produce electricity to be both ecological and economical; in Summer it would be very sensible to use it to heat water.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jerry Cotton posted:

Also solar energy doesn't need to be used to produce electricity to be both ecological and economical; in Summer it would be very sensible to use it to heat water.

We have been doing that, but the water is still only lukewarm by July 25th.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Jerry Cotton posted:

Gllrrrbgh.... brlghrh

What's with the av? (Guess you didn't buy it.)

Your last one was my favourite in all of the forums :(

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Hogge Wild posted:

solar power does better in finland than in germany

why

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Darkest Auer posted:

As far as I understand, it's less about cost overruns and delays than about Areva using the cheapest labor and materials possible and STUK insisting on proper inspections and, you know, not having a catastrophic accident in the first five years because "eh, it's good enough" isn't really good enough for nuclear power plants.

Another problem that would've been solved by killing the rich.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

His Divine Shadow posted:

Ultimately all problems are

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I don't know, the previous lot who killed the rich didn't have that great track record with nuclear safety.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well... Kill the poor then too!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Well... Kill the poor then too!

Only the ahkera ones though.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

To be sure, make sure you kill all engineers twice over. All major fuckups in human history have involved engineers.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nenonen posted:

To be sure, make sure you kill all engineers twice over. All major fuckups in human history have involved engineers.

Never met a nice engineer.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Never met a nice engineer.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm the MUUMA.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
I'm [K]OVUUS.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
That stupid rear end clock is never :420:

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
http://www.iltalehti.fi/uutiset/2016060821691089_uu.shtml Better hope this this hole works out because wind and solar will never be viable energy sources in Finland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Nenonen posted:

Yes if everyone was a humanist or on womens studies and discussing the problem of gender being a social construct, and explaining it is perfectly normal (and even commendable) to identify as being black when you are white, or perhaps a giraffe or a chair, and writing teary-eyed blogs or editorials on the the topic of why Middle-Eastern men (surely the most tolerant of them all) need special freedoms then all problems would disappear...

But those drat educated engineers who build, invent and fix poo poo!! :argh:

(hint: i know he was joking, don't be triggered)