Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Everyone please, there is a reasonable and rational explanation for all of thi-

Oh right no the writers suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

MiddleOne posted:

Everyone please, there is a reasonable and rational explanation for all of thi-

Oh right no the writers suck.

Ah-ah, none of them are speedsters.

The correct answer is "hypertime, I ain't gotta explain poo poo."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Archaeologists and scientists just discovered King Tut's dagger is made of metal from a meteorite.

This loving show is scientifically and historically accurate.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I skipped this show for a while because A) I thought it sounded dumb and B) Arrow + Flash were already disappointing me enough this season, but I binged through it recently and I had a lot of fun with it.

Yeah people do a lot of silly things, but it's presented as "The Misadventures Of The Losers That Time Forgot" so it's no great surprise when they gently caress things up. And people have a lot of fun whilst loving things up.

Compare with say, Arrow where Oliver is supposed to be capable + effective but has literally zero plan to deal with Darhk's magic so just constantly loses to him. Meanwhile Darhk is presented as a ruthless killer but keeps sparing the heroes for no apparent reason. "Darhk's in the wind, we gotta find him!" -> Oliver finds Darhk and gets his rear end kicked for the 17th time in a row -> Darhk randomly lets Oliver go then decides to murder a random HIVE lieutenant in order to show how ruthless and dangerous he is. That's a conflict that they expect us to get seriously invested in and one the show spends forever agonizing about.

I think the only thing in this show that really took the team's stupidity too far was Ray getting goaded into releasing Savage. Savage gets immediately recaptured then re-released anyway so its not like it accomplished anything... aside from getting Carter stabbed OH, complaint retracted.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elite posted:

... aside from getting Carter stabbed OH, complaint retracted.

you'll fit in well here

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
HAhahahahAHaa okay I hope you're all sitting down for this.

So, basically, we're getting Vixen for next season, except they can't get the Vixen actress, so instead of recasting the character of Mari McCabe, we're getting another Vixen from the past instead, who's an entirely new character.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrianWilly posted:

So, basically, we're getting Vixen for next season, except they can't get the Vixen actress, so instead of recasting the character of Mari McCabe, we're getting another Vixen from the past instead, who's an entirely new character.

I mean, that's better than recasting.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Another option would be that they could not use Vixen because Vixen is terrible and doesn't work in live-action.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

I don't see any problem with this. Better than recasting and half-assing the explanation. And Megalyn E.K. is still doing the voice on the animated series as well.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

BrianWilly posted:

So they're using the time traveling premise of their time traveling superhero show to recruit a superhero from time?

I'm not seeing a problem here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

8one6 posted:

So they're using the time traveling premise of their time traveling superhero show to recruit a superhero from time?

I'm not seeing a problem here.

Clearly you have not read BrianWilly.txt

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Clearly you have not seen suckadick.png :colbert:

I just think it's hilarious that they're already scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of comic book D-listers to populate this show with, but then can't even manage to do that so end up literally having to invent a new character for their All Star DC Universe ensemble show. Hey, maybe she'll end up as good as Sara Lance. More likely she'll end up as pointless as Jax Jackson.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I kind of irrationally disliked the actor for Vixen. So casting someone else as a similar character sounds fine to me. Now, if only they take this chance to make the effects less godawful.

Doesn't fix the bigger issue: Rip Hunter is still here. The Hawkpeople flew off, and good loving riddance. But also, gently caress Rip. He's terrible.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Clearly you have not seen suckadick.png :colbert:

I just think it's hilarious that they're already scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of comic book D-listers to populate this show with, but then can't even manage to do that so end up literally having to invent a new character for their All Star DC Universe ensemble show. Hey, maybe she'll end up as good as Sara Lance. More likely she'll end up as pointless as Jax Jackson.

It's not as though there aren't a crapton of niche D-Listers to pull from in the DCU. Vixen is relatively well known if only from JLU. The problem is they seem to be picking out the heroes first and hoping that a personality and character traits will spontaneously emerge alongside the superpowers.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Xealot posted:

Doesn't fix the bigger issue: Rip Hunter is still here. The Hawkpeople flew off, and good loving riddance. But also, gently caress Rip. He's terrible.

I think (hope) Rip will be better now that he won't be simultaneously yelling at the rest of the team for changing history while trying to change history.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Xealot posted:

I kind of irrationally disliked the actor for Vixen.

She seemed better as a voice actor, but yeah she kinda sucked live action

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Who doesn't believe the hawk people will be back episode one?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

hangedman1984 posted:

She seemed better as a voice actor, but yeah she kinda sucked live action

It was hosed up, Vixen has short hair.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

boom boom boom posted:

It was hosed up, Vixen has short hair.

They're called extensions.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rhyno posted:

They're called extensions.

Obviously she was using the power of laboratory test monkeys for beauty products.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Well, good news. After they left, Hawkgirl joined a circus troupe and forced Hawkman to commit suicide by self-immolation! (Mostly linking because she has a good singing voice)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUrbrdZj-I4

Good job killing all the Time Masters Rip you moron.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Oh yay, maybe one of the worst parts of Arrow S4 gets to come to LoT with time travel shenanigans.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Oh yay, maybe one of the worst parts of Arrow S4 gets to come to LoT with time travel shenanigans.

But I didn't see Barrowman in the trailer :confused:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He got cast as Zap Brannigan in the live action Futurama movie.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillbarr/2016/07/23/legends-of-tomorrow-season-2-john-barrowman-neal-mcdonough-reverse-flash/#12fc65803233

quote:

John Barrowman, Neal McDonough, Matt Letscher and Wentworth Miller would all be joining season 2 of the show

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Olicity? :confused:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You know you have a poo poo season on your hand when most of the trailer is just re-used season 1 footage.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

You know you have a poo poo season on your hand when most of the trailer is just re-used season 1 footage.

Or maybe they haven't started filming yet???

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Scyantific posted:

Or maybe they haven't started filming yet???

Shouldn't they be in post by this time of the year?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MiddleOne posted:

No? It's July. They have two whole months before the season debuts.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

It's not a movie, they usually film a few episodes ahead of the live releases. Arrow and Flash do it too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Amell posted about wrapping the season finale like three weeks before it aired.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I think they start with about a 2 month buffer that slowly whittles down since episodes take 10ish days to do.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
Arrow and Flash are about a week into production, Supergirl starts next week. If there is no new footage then they're probably not in production yet.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Legends has been in production for about a week to ten days.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Suddenly I'm not so surprised why these shows are mostly mediocre garbage anymore.

I'll still be watching. :sigh:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Suddenly I'm not so surprised why these shows are mostly mediocre garbage anymore.

I'll still be watching. :sigh:

Basically all free to air television shows film this way -- and several cable shows too. The only ones that don't, that I know of, are some reality shows and Gotham (which has a really weird filming schedule to accommodate its actors).

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

It's honestly a minor miracle they look as good as they do considering they have less time and less money than the movies do. BvS probably cost what, three times as much as the entire first season of legends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Syfy shows film their entire seasons before airing, but those are 13 episodes not 22.

• Locked thread