Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Speaking of the video game, I've been reading the Ghostbusters comics I got from the Humble Bundle sale last week. The Rookie makes a cameo. It's pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Murray and Weaver actually have pretty substantial roles in the film, so presumably both of them liked it enough to do a few days shooting. Unlike Hudson and Akroyd, Murray and Weaver actually play named characters who are in several scenes.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I had a dream I saw an advanced screening of this. The movie started with the funeral of Harold Ramis, which I thought was pretty tasteless. Also I didn't see the Nü Ghostbusters, just the old ones, so I was like "This seems pretty different than what I was sold on." But then Bill Murray looked into the camera and said "This is real. This is really happening. This is real now."

And then me, and everyone in the audience were landing on a distant alien planet with dropships that looked like the Ecto-1. It was a space war against the aliens who controlled the ghosts. Also the aliens looked like vaginas so maybe I have some issues. I was like "This is a very intense screening." Bill Murray leaned in and whispered "No one will ever believe you."

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Mantis42 posted:

Bill Murray leaned in and whispered "No one will ever believe you."
You need to get an MRI while you sleep, because the part of your brain that came up with this is a comedic genius and we need to find it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PriorMarcus posted:

Murray and Weaver actually have pretty substantial roles in the film, so presumably both of them liked it enough to do a few days shooting. Unlike Hudson and Akroyd, Murray and Weaver actually play named characters who are in several scenes.

Apparently Weaver's role has been cut down pretty severely in the edit bay, although I can't remember where I read that so I don't know how legit it is

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Track listing from the film score has been released: http://filmmusicreporter.com/2016/06/07/ghostbusters-score-album-details/

EDIT: Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuY8eKf7lhU

EDIT: And yet another vignette on Holtzmann

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2016/06/08/ghostbusters-holtzman-character-vignette

Abby Yates (Melissa McCarthy):
http://www.people.com/article/melissa-mccarthy-ghostbusters-character-video?xid=rss-topheadlines&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 8, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's tomorrow night.

To be fair I'm in Australia and it's already Thursday here :v:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

How quickly will all these videos become the most disliked on the internet?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AndyElusive posted:

How quickly will all these videos become the most disliked on the internet?

I guess that's the reason that Sony have only posted the vignettes for Hemsworth's character and Ecto-1 on their official youtube channel but are letting other sites host the vignettes for the main characters

Edit: to be fair they only posted the Ecto-1 video an hour ago, although they've had the Hemsworth video up for a month

Edit 2: I found the vignette for Wiig's character on imdb.com

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 8, 2016

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

tetrapyloctomy posted:

You need to get an MRI while you sleep, because the part of your brain that came up with this is a comedic genius and we need to find it.

Maybe it doesn't sound believable but I actively steal ideas from my own brain b/c sometimes that happens.

I had a dream once about a sequel to Godzilla 2014 where Bryan Cranston returns to play the US President who learns how to defeat Godzilla by psychically communing with the spirit of the character he played in the first movie.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Goddamn I love Kate McKinnon

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Erin Gilbert:

https://twitter.com/imdb/status/740568173112528896

Patty Tolan:

http://www.eonline.com/news/771069/leslie-jones-5-reasons-why-we-love-the-ghostbusters-star

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 8, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Well I guess that confirms that she doesn't actually have a history degree but she's just well read

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

Just got back from watching the original in the theater. Good times! At least people didn't try to quote the whole loving movie aloud.

They played a little thing after the credits about the new one that included some new footage I haven't seen, including what appeared to be some gags in a mayor's office.

Of course on the way out, some guy in a jean jacket, with long thinning hair, sunken cheeks, and a stilted gait, started bitching about the new one and tried to get some of his friends to complain with him, but his bitching fell mostly on deaf ears. I think people are tired of hearing all the whining. I know I am.

Honestly, and I know I'm going to instantly catch holy hell for even considering thinking a single inkling about this... but seeing it on the big screen drove home how old the original is. It looked good, don't get me wrong, and it's a great movie... but frankly it just made me more excited for the new one.
I can't wait to see more ghosts that aren't rubber suits and stop motion.
I'm stoked as poo poo to see proton packs that feel like they have more impact, along with more gizmos and gadgets in general.
I wanna see a StayPuft-a-like that doesn't have weird matte painting issues and a disappearing crowd.
I'd like to see more busting of ghosts (than just Slimer plus the allusion of others).
And I'm super excited to see a movie that changes up the timing (comedic and overall) to bring the franchise up to speed with more modern stuff.

I know tons of people are ridiculously pessimistic about GB2016, but the door swings both ways. I'm hoping for total theatric reversal.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

xezton posted:

I'd like to see more busting of ghosts (than just Slimer plus the allusion of others).

I'm REALLY hoping for this right here. You know that montage bit from the second where they're in the jewelry store, using some sort of awesome new equipment, like some proton, 'fake, electronic light show'? That was apparently totally scripted, and then just mostly cut out and put into the montage. Same with the jogging ghost.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

I'm REALLY hoping for this right here. You know that montage bit from the second where they're in the jewelry store, using some sort of awesome new equipment, like some proton, 'fake, electronic light show'? That was apparently totally scripted, and then just mostly cut out and put into the montage. Same with the jogging ghost.

You mean this loving awesome crystal laser thing? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgkhKVpKl_4&t=113s

Yes.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

I'm REALLY hoping for this right here. You know that montage bit from the second where they're in the jewelry store, using some sort of awesome new equipment, like some proton, 'fake, electronic light show'? That was apparently totally scripted, and then just mostly cut out and put into the montage.

I always wondered if that was the case. That jewellery scene is really weird. It makes no sense at all.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Popcorn posted:

I always wondered if that was the case. That jewellery scene is really weird. It makes no sense at all.

What doesn't make sense? I figure it's a small job, where they can't just break out the proton packs and shoot around the whole place which probably consists of one or two rooms, so they use something else, some new, neat invention that we as the audience barely get to see :smith:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ0YexsRCPc

EDIT: Ha, Bill actually says that while watching the beginning of the film, he wasn't sure if they were going to be able to pull it off.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jun 9, 2016

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

drat. Color me surprised! Welp, now I'm even more stoked for the new one.

Another clip with a funny at the end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUB31Ye6GYs

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Well Murray has given me fresh hope although I didn't find the initial clip funny so god knows what to think now :iiam:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Those YouTube comments :allears:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
That scene is mostly character comedy - not jokes - and it takes a while to build.

If you bring it in without the context it's not funny. It's like if you just showed the scene of Venkman walking around Dana's apartment bantering and trying to find a ghost as your clip.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Well Murray has given me fresh hope although I didn't find the initial clip funny so god knows what to think now :iiam:

That Hearse clip was terrible, it feels like they shot it for a 4 camera sit-com TV show and cut the laugh track. But it seems like it came from the beginning of the film so maybe Murray's right and just the first act or whatever sucks.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Fieg is a lovely director when it comes to visuals - that was always going to be a problem.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
Then I hope his writers can come up with better ideas than giving the black actress a decade old Oprah reference.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I don't understand why Bill Murray's recommendation means that much to you guys. James Cameron said the new Terminator was awesome lol.

Maybe Murray really did like it, but even then it doesn't do anything to sell me on the project. I haven't liked the content they've shown us so far. That's more indicative to me whether or not I'll like it than the former cast giving it a good review.

Watching that Kimmel interview made me realize what a bummer it must be for the four leads to spend months defending the project while everyone poops all over it. I don't like Melissa McCarthy but it's sad to think that it's probably been a dream of hers to be in this movie, it isn't even out yet and people have been destroying it for months :smith:

Anyways, I'm just going to wait to see what kind of reviews it gets. If it's positive then I'll go see it. I want it to be good, but I haven't even cracked a smile at anything they've shown us so far. But if it sucks I'm not gonna be a big dumb baby who complains about it. I just won't see it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The new busters are in this video game along with apparently every other fictional character ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGT9PrwRHdY

Dirk Funk
Mar 17, 2009
One of the theatres near me is doing one of the Fathom Event showings of the original Ghostbusters I'm considering going to.

For anyone that's gone to one of these, how are they projecting the movie? Is it am actual print or are they just projecting a Blu Ray or something?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I have a vague memory of a Fathom/random movie showing event thing where, before the movie played, a basic-looking Windows desktop was shown for a few seconds. So I think it's either play-from-a-disk or some digital file.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

xezton posted:

Just got back from watching the original in the theater. Good times! At least people didn't try to quote the whole loving movie aloud.

They played a little thing after the credits about the new one that included some new footage I haven't seen, including what appeared to be some gags in a mayor's office.

Of course on the way out, some guy in a jean jacket, with long thinning hair, sunken cheeks, and a stilted gait, started bitching about the new one and tried to get some of his friends to complain with him, but his bitching fell mostly on deaf ears. I think people are tired of hearing all the whining. I know I am.

Honestly, and I know I'm going to instantly catch holy hell for even considering thinking a single inkling about this... but seeing it on the big screen drove home how old the original is. It looked good, don't get me wrong, and it's a great movie... but frankly it just made me more excited for the new one.
I can't wait to see more ghosts that aren't rubber suits and stop motion.
I'm stoked as poo poo to see proton packs that feel like they have more impact, along with more gizmos and gadgets in general.
I wanna see a StayPuft-a-like that doesn't have weird matte painting issues and a disappearing crowd.
And I'm super excited to see a movie that changes up the timing (comedic and overall) to bring the franchise up to speed with more modern stuff.

I know tons of people are ridiculously pessimistic about GB2016, but the door swings both ways. I'm hoping for total theatric reversal.
Yasss, so much this right here. I think the ghostbros and haters are going to be both stupified and embarassed when this movie does iron man numbers at the box office and they realize they were a (vocal) minority of GB fans.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Yasss, so much this right here. I think the ghostbros and haters are going to be both stupified and embarassed when this movie does iron man numbers at the box office and they realize they were a (vocal) minority of GB fans.

I don't think anyone is expecting this movie to not make a ton of cash. Just that it will be garbage.

The public will happily slurp the movie diarrhea of the film industries rear end as long as it's got famous people and special effects.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
counterpoint off top of head: fant4stic, lone ranger, etc

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The public will happily slurp the movie diarrhea of the film industries rear end as long as it's got famous people and special effects.

Or they see movies they figure they'll like, and most come out of seeing movies they think they'll like, ya know, liking it.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Don't count me in with all of those sheeple. I only sip the movie wine from the film industry's finest vintages as long as it is pure and free of all special effects and under absolutely no circumstances may there appear upon the silver screen a single recognizable face.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

What doesn't make sense? I figure it's a small job, where they can't just break out the proton packs and shoot around the whole place which probably consists of one or two rooms, so they use something else, some new, neat invention that we as the audience barely get to see :smith:

Maybe I'm just being difficult, but I never understood it at all. Why are things hovering? What is their gadget? Why does it cause everything to smash? It's not clear what's happening at all beyond "the Ghostbusters tried out some kind of thing, and broke stuff". Which I guess is arguably all you need, but it's... vague. It's not like the ghost jogger, which has a clear beginning-middle-end, it's a sensible thing.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I don't think anyone is expecting this movie to not make a ton of cash. Just that it will be garbage.

So why did, like, Pan bomb? I feel like stupid people say stuff like this to make themselves feel smarter.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

porfiria posted:

So why did, like, Pan bomb? I feel like stupid people say stuff like this to make themselves feel smarter.

Cause bald gay pirate Wolverine gave everyone the willies.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Pan bombed because Peter Pan isn't something people are interested in, much less a prequel of Peter Pan.

porfiria posted:

I feel like stupid people say stuff like this to make themselves feel smarter.

When the world teaches you that you're not a Movie Person that you think you are (by liking stuff that bombs and/or disliking stuff that does well), there are two options: admit you're not a Movie Guy, or double down on the fact that you're a Movie Guy and everyone else is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Cause bald gay pirate Wolverine gave everyone the willies.

Special pleading.

• Locked thread