Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

SedanChair posted:

Looks like they're trying to market park model homes to millenials. More power to them I guess, they're usually nice.

TWATER CLOSET

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

From their website:

"Base Cost: $104,000 + Site Work and Delivery Average: $24,000"

Jesus Christ, $104K base cost?

Congratulations you just bought a fancy mobile home and still have to pay for the land.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Fancy small mobile home.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Congratulations you just bought a fancy mobile home and still have to pay for the land.

ADUs are built on land already occupied by a house so it's more like you bought a fancy mobile and have to live in some family's back yard.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

smg77 posted:

ADUs are built on land already occupied by a house so it's more like you bought a fancy mobile and have to live in some family's back yard.

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Seems like a good-ish idea eh?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
Fully expect these sudden landlords to be super lovely but that's to be expected

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I worked at Lowes hardware a decade ago. Their commercial desk at the time was showcasing plans for semi-modular built homes that had customization options like adding additional floors or extra rooms that were already drawn up in the site plans.

You bought the plans and found a contractor. The contractor could source all of the parts from an existing inventory stocked by Lowes and you could have a house up in a month basically from a Lowes Lego kit.

https://mobile.houseplans.com/collection/katrina-cottages#page=1&s=MOST_POPULAR

I remember looking at them at the time (2006/2007) and the price was under $100k for plans and materials, and contractors were coming in at 20-25k for labor.

I have no idea what that would translate to these days, but for 100k base cost for barely more than a studio, I'd go for the extra little bit of effort to clear a 200k loan and land a small house built to national earthquake/flood standards with more than 100 square feet of living space.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

koreban posted:

with more than 100 square feet of living space.

loving 1%ers...

Seriously though, there has to be a better solution to housing than this.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

loving 1%ers...

Seriously though, there has to be a better solution to housing than this.

A few blocks of this:

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

koreban posted:

I have no idea what that would translate to these days, but for 100k base cost for barely more than a studio, I'd go for the extra little bit of effort to clear a 200k loan and land a small house built to national earthquake/flood standards with more than 100 square feet of living space.

How much is that 200K going to be over the course of a mortgage, though?
I'm not saying that houses like this make sense for everyone, but if I have a bathroom and a kitchen, I am pretty happy. If the land is already available, and I could have something like this on a relative's property, it seems like it would suit my needs, and not tie me down to worrying about bankruptcy for the next 30 years

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

glowing-fish posted:

I'm not saying that houses like this make sense for everyone, but if I have a bathroom and a kitchen, I am pretty happy. If the land is already available, and I could have something like this on a relative's property, it seems like it would suit my needs, and not tie me down to worrying about bankruptcy for the next 30 years

That would be roughly 1600 per month not including insurance for a 30 fixed at 3.75-4.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

glowing-fish posted:

For 20K you could have a beautiful Airstream trailer that will keep its value and project a sort of "Wolverine's summer house" aesthetic.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

SedanChair posted:

For 20K you could have a beautiful Airstream trailer that will keep its value and project a sort of "Wolverine's summer house" aesthetic.

And it's mobile!

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

SedanChair posted:

You can also get a nice small livable boat for that cost.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Airstreams are mega expensive for anything remotely new.

They do hold their value really well though.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

SedanChair posted:

And try getting a loan. Generally they won't give you one to purchase land and then build a house or drop a mobile or modular unless the improvements make the property worth a certain multiple (locality dependant) of the land price. So even if you can afford to buy the land and have the modular put on it, you might not be able to get a loan even with 20 percent down. That means all cash. And the site rents route , hell , site rents up here are hosed price wise.

Edit: fun fact I grew up living in park models in south FL. I had for rooms growing up the second floor of a closet and the back end of an exterior porch.

Edit 2: the luxury modulars that run 100000 to 400000 are actually significantly better built than most new stick built homes.

Edit 3: and if it's a true mobile you are probably getting a vehicle type loan and not a mortgage

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 5, 2016

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I wish our congresspersons were half this cool http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/US-Congressman-Tells-Trump-Where-He-Can-Shove-His-Border-Wall-20160606-0024.html

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
My congressman is Dave Reichert. He'll end up voting right alongside Trump.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

oxbrain posted:

My congressman is Dave Reichert. He'll end up voting right alongside Trump.

You caught Green River Killer!! We're all safer for it!

*Votes to end civilization as we know it*

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

RuanGacho posted:

You caught Green River Killer!! We're all safer for it!

*Votes to end civilization as we know it*

I vote against that guy every election he comes up in, yet he keeps winning. drat you 47th congressional district!

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Lacrosse posted:

I vote against that guy every election he comes up in, yet he keeps winning. drat you 47th congressional district!

The last redistricting moved my house out of his district, thank FSM. I voted against him and Jennifer Dunn for decades.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Stay safe out there, Seattle friends http://www.kiro7.com/news/fda-people-are-overdosing-on-antidiarrhea-drugs/328504003

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

You get easy access to weed and now people are dying from massive poop blockages .

Good lord.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

quote:

The agency has received 31 reports of people hospitalized due to the heart problems, including 10 deaths over the last 39 years. 

Total epidemic.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BrandorKP posted:

And try getting a loan. Generally they won't give you one to purchase land and then build a house or drop a mobile or modular unless the improvements make the property worth a certain multiple (locality dependant) of the land price. So even if you can afford to buy the land and have the modular put on it, you might not be able to get a loan even with 20 percent down. That means all cash. And the site rents route , hell , site rents up here are hosed price wise.

Edit: fun fact I grew up living in park models in south FL. I had for rooms growing up the second floor of a closet and the back end of an exterior porch.

Edit 2: the luxury modulars that run 100000 to 400000 are actually significantly better built than most new stick built homes.

Edit 3: and if it's a true mobile you are probably getting a vehicle type loan and not a mortgage

When you default, they'll haul your Gnome Home to a retirement village, which is probably where it was trying to go in the first place.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

oxbrain posted:

Total epidemic.

Pretty sure more than half of those were TCC posters.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Accretionist posted:

A few blocks of this:

Let's do it :getin:

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Wanamingo posted:

Let's do it :getin:

Excuse me, that could potentially slow property value growth.

Bad.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
FBI report: No crime in the city of Portland for calendar year 2015! :toot:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

quote:

Portland hate crime information didn't make it into the 2014 report because a state supervisor retired without showing his replacement how to send it.
This made me laugh, in a sad way...

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The Mercury has an article about the new police records system: http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/skipping-record/Content?oid=9717552

Oh, and it's from 2013.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Good Opinions from a famous transplant

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
OK enough Seattle news here's some Portland news

Here is a video from last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGnULIBkqOk

You might think since the cop did a bad thing he would get punished, or you might already be familiar with cops and know that they've instead been fighting against the citizen's review board for eight months. But it turns out that the acting police chief decided to overturn this one and agree with the review board to punish the mean cop for doing the bad thing after all, hooray!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

anthonypants posted:

Should have been a long writeup of someone putting a bird on something.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

SedanChair posted:

When you default, they'll haul your Gnome Home to a retirement village, which is probably where it was trying to go in the first place

Did you know, there are now bus tours for "investors" who specialize in buying retirement mobile home communities. They identify these small businesses where the cash flow could be dramatically improved by better management offering large a ROI...
By that I mean they dramatically increase site rents, cut maintenance, and elminate community amenities.
But what about the residents just selling and moving? Well once park models get past a certain age they are really only hypothetically mobile. So the new management adds a age / condition criteria to the park models of new residents. Meaning the old residents can't sell the old park model in response to the site rent increases. If they do leave generally they just abandon the park model. The management then takes over the park model which it then rents out or sells (when you make the rules you make the exemptions).

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

anthonypants posted:

Here is a video from last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGnULIBkqOk

You might think since the cop did a bad thing he would get punished, or you might already be familiar with cops and know that they've instead been fighting against the citizen's review board for eight months. But it turns out that the acting police chief decided to overturn this one and agree with the review board to punish the mean cop for doing the bad thing after all, hooray!

I love that the existing argument against punishment was that he actually DIDN'T grab the lens.

Like, how is it appropriate in this day and age to be all "I'm going to say this provably false thing and stand by it in the face of your complete apoplexy."

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Pander posted:

I love that the existing argument against punishment was that he actually DIDN'T grab the lens.

Like, how is it appropriate in this day and age to be all "I'm going to say this provably false thing and stand by it in the face of your complete apoplexy."
Do you really need a history of cops defending their behavior

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BrandorKP posted:

Did you know, there are now bus tours for "investors" who specialize in buying retirement mobile home communities. They identify these small businesses where the cash flow could be dramatically improved by better management offering large a ROI...
By that I mean they dramatically increase site rents, cut maintenance, and elminate community amenities.
But what about the residents just selling and moving? Well once park models get past a certain age they are really only hypothetically mobile. So the new management adds a age / condition criteria to the park models of new residents. Meaning the old residents can't sell the old park model in response to the site rent increases. If they do leave generally they just abandon the park model. The management then takes over the park model which it then rents out or sells (when you make the rules you make the exemptions).

My gosh that is…that is exquisite.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

BrandorKP posted:

Did you know, there are now bus tours for "investors" who specialize in buying retirement mobile home communities.

Where can I sign up for Slum Tours? Wanna dress up as the Monopoly guy and whip pennies at the poors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Thaddius the Large posted:

Where can I sign up for Slum Tours? Wanna dress up as the Monopoly guy and whip pennies at the poors

Check the China thread.

• Locked thread