Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Mage Knight?

Mage Knight is a full-course meal made on iron chef where the contestants had to use steak in every dish.

Temporum is what happens when you order the sushi plate at a midwest steak restaurant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Talisman is a delicious stick of cotton candy! :D

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I do feel the same amount of shame after cotton candy as I do after I play talisman.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sushi Go is... hmmm, gently caress. Not sure where to go with this one.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Someone do World in Flames

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Boxman posted:

Someone do World in Flames

Everyone should be watching the LP, by the way, Germany is quickly rampaging through Russia and might actually break through! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692085

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Got to play Mage Knight for the first time without trying to learn as I play. I want to like the game, but it's too fiddly. For a game with a base turn of move and then take an action, it takes way too much time and knowledge to carry out. I feel like two thirds of the iconography could be discarded with no real hit to the meat of the game play.

Also, maybe I got some unlucky draws, but the monster decks didn't seem to be accommodating. Combat felt too difficult to start, even for the most basic enemies, which is a shame because once you get a few levels it becomes more manageable. Perhaps this was made worse by having 4 different base actions each character needs to take, so you aren't likely to do any single thing well at the beginning of the game?

We took 3 hours to set up and play what amounted to a 2 player game after the guy's wife quit in the second turn. We didn't even get to finish. There's a good, interesting game in there somewhere, but man it's buried beneath some unnecessary fat.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Shadow225 posted:

Also, maybe I got some unlucky draws, but the monster decks didn't seem to be accommodating. Combat felt too difficult to start, even for the most basic enemies, which is a shame because once you get a few levels it becomes more manageable. Perhaps this was made worse by having 4 different base actions each character needs to take, so you aren't likely to do any single thing well at the beginning of the game?

Mage Knight becomes exponentially faster once you know what you're doing and what tokens are where. You're a starting character with 6 Attack in hand? You can probably take that dungeon or keep. Might take a few wounds, but if it's the first couple turns you've just given yourself a major bump forward. If you're Goldyx and you have Will Focus, a Swiftness card and a single green die will probably let you take out that dungeon without taking any damage. Anyone can do similar by trying to hang onto swiftnesses and mana draw.

It's intimidating, yes, and that definitely helps cause a knowledge gap around what you're capable of. It benefits enormously by having someone in the game to help teach it - especially, someone to say 'don't worry about a few wounds early on', which is usually what causes the biggest problems when people think they should be keeping their character pristine.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Rutibex posted:

Ascension makes for a lovely game on its own, but its actually a really good Magic variant! Both sides play from the same deck, and instead of drawing off the top of the deck there is a market row of 6 cards to choose from. I added a rule where you can reset the market row if you draw a random card off the top.

It's worked out much better than I expected. I made up a sort of "cube" to play with and have been trying the variant with one of the neighbors a few times. It is much more strategic that normal Magic, for a couple of reasons. First, there is no mana screw, the market row allows you to always have access to lands or spells if you need them. Second, there is a lot less hidden information! You have a hand of secret cards to surprise your opponent with of course, but every other card you draw will be seen by your opponent. They will know whats coming if you pick up that counterspell and bait it out, or know what land to destroy to deny you a powerful creature, etc.

The best feature I think is the fact that you draft and play at the same time. I could never get my neighbor to draft a Magic cube, but playing and drafting at the same time lets him watch me and learn what cards are useful (he is also far to lazy to make a deck on his own).
Any advice on building a cube like this? I have never built a cube before and have no desire to spend a lot of money on 'cool' rares. But I do have a lot of random bulk from various sets, and am not averse to spending a few bucks on some cards that will be fun in such a format.

The biggest challenge would probably be to get my EDH buddies to play it :(

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Malloreon posted:

how bad "unlimited buys, unlimited actions" is for a deckbuilder.

Worked just fine for Valley of the Kings.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Shadow225 posted:

Got to play Mage Knight for the first time without trying to learn as I play. I want to like the game, but it's too fiddly. For a game with a base turn of move and then take an action, it takes way too much time and knowledge to carry out. I feel like two thirds of the iconography could be discarded with no real hit to the meat of the game play.

We took 3 hours to set up and play what amounted to a 2 player game after the guy's wife quit in the second turn. We didn't even get to finish. There's a good, interesting game in there somewhere, but man it's buried beneath some unnecessary fat.

Maybe try the pre game level up option from the Shades of Tezla expansion? Don't need to buy it, the rulebook can be found online.

I makes for a faster first round as you can already have an advanced action or even an artifact or spell plus you already get your first skill which I feel makes a huge difference.

Just be careful with beginners as they now have to manage those cards and skills. But I don't think it should be a huge problem, just something to keep in mind.

Tried it and I really enjoyed the faster start.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

Lichtenstein posted:

Worked just fine for Valley of the Kings.

I thought of that too, but you're limited to the number of cards in your hand, which is generally 5 (and often just 3 in the "nasty, nasty" mix of the Afterlife expansion with base VotK). So buys and actions are limited, just not as much or as directly as in Dominion. I love VotK but I too dislike Dominion with setups that encourage super long turns, and I assume I would dislike any truly unlimited buys/actions deck builder.

PS VotK is getting another expansion later this year! https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/197065/valley-kings-last-rites

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

jmzero posted:

Honestly, it's the same reason I don't play more Go. Even very good players often have very vague ideas why they prefer one move to another. I don't want to train some weird segment of my brain to identify positive Go positions, I want to be consciously weighing pros and cons, and thinking through potential moves and outcomes.

You have to do this in go. It's why people do problems - they're all about carefully reading and working out the correct solution. Feel is an important part of the game, especially from a strategic point of view, but good close reading is vital in fights.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Let's play guess the reviewer/site

quote:

The biggest surprise about Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower is how brilliant it is. Maybe it shouldn’t be a surprise. The last Games Workshop standalone game I played was the lithe Betrayal At Calth, a fantastic run and gun scenario/skirmish game. And yet, as the beauty of this Silver Tower makes itself known, the main thing I feel is surprise. This is a game that has merged modern dungeoncrawl mechanics with (and I hate simplifying it like this, but you might understand what I mean) a very British old-school eccentricity. The Silver Tower is electrifying, a shining lightning rod for all those feelings that make us want to play games. Read on.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

the panacea posted:

Let's play guess the reviewer/site

Isn't Silver Tower literally just a reskin of old school Warhammer Quest? What "new mechanics" is BoLS talking about here?

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
It's actually a dumbed down (no char progression afaik) version of their old game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

silvergoose posted:

Mage Knight?

Mage Knight is a fine cut of Kobe beef, burnt to charcoal.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sailor Viy posted:

Any advice on building a cube like this? I have never built a cube before and have no desire to spend a lot of money on 'cool' rares. But I do have a lot of random bulk from various sets, and am not averse to spending a few bucks on some cards that will be fun in such a format.

The biggest challenge would probably be to get my EDH buddies to play it :(

Yes! My best advice is to slip fast the bonds of copyright and proxy every card :twisted:My cube is 100% proxies. I designed the cube in an excellent program called MtG: Forge, which allows you to create a printout of any deck you build in it:
http://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/Forge

The most important part I think was the land base, it's all 2/3/5 mana producing land. There are no basic lands in the Ascension Cube, for a couple of reasons. First the double and triple land always have trade offs and I think those are neat, and second it allows for a lot more color flexibility when drafting (which you really need). I avoided card that let you draw a lot of extra cards, just because the act of drawing cards is so much more powerful (they tended to be unbalanced in this format, sorry blue). Keep that in mind when making the cube, some cards won't work well so just don't put them in!

I gave each color a theme. Green/White are slivers (only slivers that effect all slivers not the ones that effect just yours, so if you both go slivers you will be buffing each other), Black is graveyard control (I may have forgot to mention your supposed to play with a common graveyard too, so I added a lot of graveyard interaction cards), Blue is copying/clones, and Red is Goblins.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 8, 2016

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

If I ordered Mage Knight served rare what would I get?

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Sleekly posted:

Rune Age?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sleekly posted:

Endlessly insulted by all the other patrons while they chewed on their horrible burnt steak and proclaimed how wonderful the chef was.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Does this make Cards Against Humanity akin to being served a bull turd?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Does this make Cards Against Humanity akin to being served a bull turd?

No, it's literally being served bullshit.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
A bull turd might actually be preferable.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

FelchTragedy posted:

People who went please give me criticisms of the Expo so we can keep improving things.

Was my first time going, I went on just the Saturday. You're probably in one of my videos I posted previously in the thread! Basically I was really impressed, I've never been to Origins or GenCon but I've been to most of the recent Games Workshop events and Salute earlier this year, compared to those UKGE definitely ranks right up there.

better than expected:
- usually conventions/trade shows are utterly terrible for having somewhere to sit when you inevitably get tired and want to rest, so you have to buy overpriced food or play a game demo to be able to sit (Salute is pretty bad for this as well) so the Thirsty Meeples game library was really really really cool. It let us rest for about an hour and then my buddies played another game while I walked around getting my video.
- I'm more of a wargamer so it was good to have some wargame traders and manufacturers there, and a good mix of RPG games as well
- stands from the major players like FFG were really good size, and even though CMoN weren't there there were plenty of tables showing their stuff

could be improved:
- ticket lines were 3 or 4 wide and not really posted what you were in, we bought tickets on the door and there were people next to us in another line with prepaid tickets...Salute does their entry system really well with barcode readers right at the entrance, just show your phone or a printed ticket and you're straight in, no need to queue (unless you're there early, in which case you're expecting to queue)
- if you're going to have costume contests and singing from the cosplay contestants (which, to be honest, almost no one wants to listen to - hopefully it was just that first girl in pink on the Saturday that tried to sing) I think that would be better off to one side rather than in the middle of everything
- I only went for one day so didn't have time for seminars, but those would be much better off in a hotel banquet room instead of an echoey, loud exhibition hall
- I didn't even bother getting in the bring & buy queue because it was so long, don't know why and I didn't check, but if I"d had time I would have gone in to see what was available
- finally, what was the deal with collecting lanyards and plastic envelope things on the way out? was I wearing some neckbeard's lanyard from the day before? surely those are like 50p or so in bulk and can be tacked onto the cost of the ticket?

Overall I enjoyed the trip, it was a good (but expensive!) day out and I saw a lot of new and cool things. I don't want to sound too negative about anything, I've just been to a bunch of gaming weekend events very recently so it's all fresh in my mind :) I did really like going and we're planning to go again next year.

Nique
May 18, 2006

krushgroove posted:

- I didn't even bother getting in the bring & buy queue because it was so long, don't know why and I didn't check, but if I"d had time I would have gone in to see what was available

It looked horrendously long but it was only a 15 minute queue, but ... It was not worth it.

I'm sure there were a few bargains throughout the day but at least on saturday (at around 12) it seems like 90% of the games were listed at around RRP, and all of the desirable titles that I found were actually listed higher than you could buy them brand new within the expo.

You also had no real way to know if they were even contents-complete, just blind faith or a cursory scan.

Edit: Obviously not the fault of the organisers, just overly optimistic/stupid attendees

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.

thespaceinvader posted:

My biggest criticism of the expo itself was that the announcements on the tannoy were virtually inaudible AND so loud that they interrupted conversation. And the food was too expensive and had way too little in the way of fibre, but I was expecting that.

krushgroove posted:

Was my first time going, I went on just the Saturday. You're probably in one of my videos I posted previously in the thread! Basically I was really impressed, I've never been to Origins or GenCon but I've been to most of the recent Games Workshop events and Salute earlier this year, compared to those UKGE definitely ranks right up there.

better than expected:
- usually conventions/trade shows are utterly terrible for having somewhere to sit when you inevitably get tired and want to rest, so you have to buy overpriced food or play a game demo to be able to sit (Salute is pretty bad for this as well) so the Thirsty Meeples game library was really really really cool. It let us rest for about an hour and then my buddies played another game while I walked around getting my video.
- I'm more of a wargamer so it was good to have some wargame traders and manufacturers there, and a good mix of RPG games as well
- stands from the major players like FFG were really good size, and even though CMoN weren't there there were plenty of tables showing their stuff

could be improved:
- ticket lines were 3 or 4 wide and not really posted what you were in, we bought tickets on the door and there were people next to us in another line with prepaid tickets...Salute does their entry system really well with barcode readers right at the entrance, just show your phone or a printed ticket and you're straight in, no need to queue (unless you're there early, in which case you're expecting to queue)
- if you're going to have costume contests and singing from the cosplay contestants (which, to be honest, almost no one wants to listen to - hopefully it was just that first girl in pink on the Saturday that tried to sing) I think that would be better off to one side rather than in the middle of everything
- I only went for one day so didn't have time for seminars, but those would be much better off in a hotel banquet room instead of an echoey, loud exhibition hall
- finally, what was the deal with collecting lanyards and plastic envelope things on the way out? was I wearing some neckbeard's lanyard from the day before? surely those are like 50p or so in bulk and can be tacked onto the cost of the ticket?

Overall I enjoyed the trip, it was a good (but expensive!) day out and I saw a lot of new and cool things. I don't want to sound too negative about anything, I've just been to a bunch of gaming weekend events very recently so it's all fresh in my mind :) I did really like going and we're planning to go again next year.

Thanks for those.

Firstly this is the first time we have used the NEC so there is teething problems we want to sort out.

Lots of people agree the loudspeaker was bad. I heard one person say they should't have used Charlie Brown's teacher to announce things. Other people have also suggested that the talks be in the hotel. They were last year and were crammed with huge queues. When you have the NEC suddenly space becomes no issue. Also I guess, you keep the talks near the other stuff so people minimise going between hotel and back. But yeah those issues I think are valid.
Ticket lines were handled by NEC staff. Other people have mentioned queue jumping and stuff, perhaps a sign is needed to direct into appropriate queues.
Bring and buy is always popular. It was leaps and bounds better than the ones from 2 years back and earlier where everything wasn't computerised.
If say lanyards are 50p each then that's 6 grand of potential recycling with the benefits passed back to the people from next year is my guess. It was stated that people were free to keep their lanyard but they could consider recycling. I think people standing there collecting them means people will automatically take off their lanyards and offer them up. I do take on board that the lanyards are cleaned or fresh batches of them are used for each day. Your lanyard is yours and you can keep it of course, this was explained to to people who were confused or wanted to keep them (especially kids). I will ask about the lanyards cleanliness.

Food being expensive for an event is par for the course with all events. You can blame the rise of artisinal cooking on hipsters. But then you can blame the upsurge in boardgaming on hipsters too so (shrugs shoulders).

Cosplayers I don't know much about. The one dressed as Vivienne made me smile heartily.

A furry convention was held a week ago at the hotel by the way.

Keep the critiques coming.

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.

Nique posted:

It looked horrendously long but it was only a 15 minute queue, but ... It was not worth it.

I'm sure there were a few bargains throughout the day but at least on saturday (at around 12) it seems like 90% of the games were listed at around RRP, and all of the desirable titles that I found were actually listed higher than you could buy them brand new within the expo.

You also had no real way to know if they were even contents-complete, just blind faith or a cursory scan.

Edit: Obviously not the fault of the organisers, just overly optimistic/stupid attendees

Sometimes those games are OOP but yeah. Some aren't even collected and the survivors get them in the raffle. I bought space cadets dice duel from there. It is always going to be popular and I only went in because I got volunteer benefit go in in when it's closed.

FelchTragedy fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 8, 2016

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I forgot it was the first time at the NEC :)

And not to nitpick on the lanyards, but when there are boxes of lanyards being collected at the exit and people in yellow shirts standing there, the natural British thing to do is 'do what everyone else is doing' so I took mine off and dropped it in the box. I was joking about wearing some neckbeard's lanyard from the previous day but you can imagine other people were thinking the same thing. Seriously though, I would have liked to have kept mine :smith: as I keep the passes and things of events I've been to (what, a gamer who collects things?!). No biggie though.

Glad I didn't miss out much on the Bring & Buy, I know it's mega popular at just about any event but I wasn't really looking for anything NEW to pick up, mainly I rounded out my Dropzone Commander collection, finished my X-Wing Miniatures Imperial collections, got a couple of Shadows of Esteren books (I backed their first KS campaign 4 years ago) and picked up a full set of the Not-Monty Python Holy Grail figures. I'd already picked up all the board/card games I wanted to get from Facebook groups but got a couple of Netrunner expansion decks to try out as well.

As for the price of the food, that's par for the course really, if I'd had time in the morning I would have made my own lunch. I didn't see any artisanal type food though, just Subway and hot dogs (which, as an American, I was happy to find).

For the size of what it is, it looked pretty well-run though, like I said we'll definitely go again next year. I could probably easily fill 2 days there and I don't even do tournaments. I've organized trader stands for things like The Gadget Show Live at the NEC and it's a minefield with everything from carpeting to electricity to pay for.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Super Jay Mann posted:

Obviously that kind of thing is not for everyone and even in the vastly improved new version TtA has a few issues that undermine certain strategies or make some decisions much easier than others, and of course luck always tends to mess with even the best-laid plans, but on the whole it's rather dynamic and always forcing you to make tough decisions even at the tail end of the 20 turns or so it takes to play it, and that's great to me. It's certainly better than games where the One True Strategy is always obvious and the game is a foregone conclusion long before the actual end of the game is reached.

This is one of those things that always bugs me with games like this: when certain options/cards are pretty much completely useless/pointless. I cannot think of a case where Oil (Age 3 mines), for example, would be worth the cost in 99.9% of situations. Same with the Age 3 agriculture. They are, for all intents and purposes, just dead and pointless cards.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

silvergoose posted:

Everyone should be watching the LP, by the way, Germany is quickly rampaging through Russia and might actually break through! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692085

I looked at the first post date: Jan 3, 2015. I looked at the current post date: June 8, 2016.

I looked at the current game turn: September/October 1941.

I laughed heartily.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

SlyFrog posted:

I looked at the first post date: Jan 3, 2015. I looked at the current post date: June 8, 2016.

I looked at the current game turn: September/October 1941.

I laughed heartily.

I know. It's hilarious, and he's been updating nearly every day. And I love it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

krushgroove posted:

the Thirsty Meeples game library was really really really cool. It let us rest for about an hour and then my buddies played another game while I walked around getting my video.

Meeples is my local store and they are Cool and Good. They'll be glad of the feedback, this was a shitton of work for them.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

SlyFrog posted:

This is one of those things that always bugs me with games like this: when certain options/cards are pretty much completely useless/pointless. I cannot think of a case where Oil (Age 3 mines), for example, would be worth the cost in 99.9% of situations. Same with the Age 3 agriculture. They are, for all intents and purposes, just dead and pointless cards.

What? Oil is very useful. Age 3 wonders cost loads of resources, as do Age 3 urban buildings and units.

Mechanized agriculture is more rarely used, but can be useful if you have high consumption because you've lost lots of yellow chits through events and wars.

Both farm and mine production is counted in Impact cards by the way, racking up 20 points with these is quite doable.

Now if you would have named Cultural Heritage as dead cards in the high 90's% of the time, you would be right. There are some back door combo's with some events that look for the player with highest culture, but those aren't very strong. The science can be used in a pinch if starved. They're not exactly filler but it's close.

theroachman fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 8, 2016

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

theroachman posted:

What? Oil is very useful. Age 3 wonders cost loads of resources, as do Age 3 urban buildings and units.

Mechanized agriculture is more rarely used, but can be useful if you have high consumption because you've lost lots of yellow chits through events and wars.

Both farm and mine production is counted in Impact cards by the way, racking up 20 points with these is quite doable.

Now if you would have named Cultural Heritage as dead cards in the high 90's% of the time, you would be right. There are some back door combo's with some events that look for the player with highest culture, but those aren't very strong. The science can be used in a pinch if starved. They're not exactly filler but it's close.

Oil is only really useful if it comes immediately at the beginning of Age 3 and you have the production/yellow cards to upgrade one/two of them quickly so you can utilize those extra rocks before the end of the game. There's a major opportunity cost associated with it and Era 3 goes by very quickly so the timing on when you can use Oil effectively is quite strict.

Impact of Industry is a thing though, so if you get that then it may be worth focusing on upgrading to Oil mines since that actually helps you win the game. Still pretty situational though.

I can't think of a situation where you're in a winning position and mechanized agriculture would be useful though. Your consumption will be at worst -4 and two irrigations will cover that in the worst case.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
I'm curious if Mage Knight opinions have evolved since I last really gave it thought.

Broken Loose, Tekopo, and I did podcast episode talking about Mage Knight with the opinion generally of "a perfectly well-designed game that isn't any fun." One big issue I recall* was that movement being too central to your deeds deck--it costs a lot of effort to move where you need to go in Mage Knight. Thinking on this now, Mage Knight kind of shares Through the Ages snowball problems that can often start with the right cards coming out into your hand or onto the card row respectively. Clearly the game has a ton of excellent craft behind it both in design and in testing, and on my personal end I find it an excellent cooperative/solo experience (if I want to solo/cooperate in a game that eats a table this is the one), but I wonder if people had issues with Mage Knight's design and/or if people view it in a different light than when it first came out (disregarding WizKid bullshit).

*My memory is poo poo so I could easily be misrepresenting Broken Loose and Tekopo here, so if they want to chime in on this that'd be great.

EDIT: Unrelated, but what are people's opinions on the Game of Throne Living Card Game (the new edition)? A guy in my group has been pushing to play it, and I don't recall great things said about it (but not awful things?). I'm not going to invest in it as a long-term mini-hobby like Netrunner either, so this is all in regard to the base box rather than as a LCG.

Trynant fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 8, 2016

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Trynant posted:

I'm curious if Mage Knight opinions have evolved since I last really gave it thought.

Broken Loose, Tekopo, and I did podcast episode talking about Mage Knight with the opinion generally of "a perfectly well-designed game that isn't any fun." One big issue I recall* was that movement being too central to your deeds deck--it costs a lot of effort to move where you need to go in Mage Knight. Thinking on this now, Mage Knight kind of shares Through the Ages snowball problems that can often start with the right cards coming out into your hand or onto the card row respectively. Clearly the game has a ton of excellent craft behind it both in design and in testing, and on my personal end I find it an excellent cooperative/solo experience (if I want to solo/cooperate in a game that eats a table this is the one), but I wonder if people had issues with Mage Knight's design and/or if people view it in a different light than when it first came out (disregarding WizKid bullshit).

I find that if you play with all of the optional rules in Mage Knight it makes the board much more dense, and as a result you need less movement. Mage Knight is extremely modular, it invites you to mix and match a lot of mechanics to get the balance right for your taste. That might not be for everyone I suppose, lots of people like a geme to only has one set of rules :shrug:

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I remember that and, frankly, movement complaints in MK come from inexperienced players. Considering you guys did that podcast soon after it came out, you were. I've played over 80 games of MK and I can count the times I've had movement issues on one hand.

Snowballing is definitely a problem and there were some half-hearted optional rules to curb it in the Lost Legion. As a competitive game it can be decided way too early by getting a dungeon or other high value location. Lucking into something like Fireball or the Horn of Wrath early can be a winning move if you know what you're doing. It's best as a co-op or solo experience. I've said multiple times that it would be improved as a competitive game if it was scored in point ranges or percentage of opponent's points or something. Maybe have decisive/marginal win/loss bands or something.

The game also tends to break down at the extremes. For instance I once played a solo game using lost legion where I set it to the highest difficulty and I didn't have a single tile with a mage tower. I got one spell from a dungeon and couldn't beat Volkare. With more players you get more tiles out and you don't have that problem. The offers mostly don't churn enough with only one player as well. Even if you use the double cycling it doesn't move as quickly as three people buying spells and advanced actions. It's really the best fantasy adventure game on the market but there is room for improvement.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I agree entirely with Cenotaph. I've got probably at least a hundred games of MK completed at this point. At a guess, it's something like 75% of them solo, 20% coop and 5% competitive.

IMO, most of MK's problems lie squarely in the competitive version of the game. Or at the very least the competitive version magnifies them hugely. Runaway leaders and death spirals are a huge problem. It's easy for a player to fall behind while the other players hoover up every nearby resource on the map, meaning that player can't ever recover and is essentially hosed for the rest of the game. MK is not a short game, spending 3-4 hours chasing people around the map hoping you can feed on their scraps is an absolutely awful experience.

Competition also exacerbates the movement complaints, as other players denying you map resources means you will often need a lot more movement cards to get anywhere useful. The pacing of the game being determined by players emptying their decks is another aspect of the game that is cool in design but awful in practice. It means that your opponents can not only deny you resources, they can deny you entire turns by forcing you to choose between burning your cards inefficiently or risk not even using half your deck in a given round. Don't even get me started on the (thankfully optional) PVP rules.

Competitive MK is an absurdly punishing game and frankly, not very fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
As it stands MK is my favorite solitaire game, it just needs a publisher who can keep the components the same size between expansions :smith: