Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Just did bench 225x13, midway through march is was only at 4 reps! If i had my spotter i mightve gotten one or two more but im happy as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Fallows posted:

Just did bench 225x13, midway through march is was only at 4 reps! If i had my spotter i mightve gotten one or two more but im happy as gently caress

Strong poo poo, nice work.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
So I deadlifted a Turkish car today.

Does that count as a Turkish Deadlift?

(It was not a huge car, but still.)

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
welp, i healed up mostly from getting almost a whole back row of teeth pulled out, so I"ve been back to the gym a couple times now after a week and a half. The lovely thing is the dentist fees left me broke as poo poo, so I don't have poo poo for protein or anything decent to eat until friday, but I doubt a few days of lovely diet is going to kill anything.

also being able to see a doctor for my knee issue is on hold as well because of that, but until then my latest solution is to just pop down in a squat and hold it a bit every 20 or 30 minutes while I'm at work. I figure if sitting all day can gently caress people up, surely standing 70 hours a week can make you tight as well in other ways, so perhaps this will help. I only did 105 lbs because I"m easing into it again after my break, but my knee held up fine this time. of course the slightest twinge, and I will stop.

e:not sure why i used the word poo poo so much. perhaps it's the type of post?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Going back to the gym after a 3-week vacation feels like I'm some kind of cripple now. Can barely do 1/3 reps that I used to with a given weight and everything hurts :(

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's been 3 weeks since I stopped going and I feel great.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Probably had less than 3 hours of sleep today, and still crushed it in the gym for over 2 hours somehow. Didn't set any PR's, except for lack of sleep I guess? Starting to reliably get 2 great reps of 315 sumo deads before my grip goes out and I'm forced to stop. Guess I gotta work on strengthening that, but I feel more reps in me, just can't hold on long enough to get them!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Shut the gently caress up and post about salami. I had 10 slices of salami for breakfast and a bowl of reggios in 2% milk.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

notZaar posted:

Shut the gently caress up and post about salami. I had 10 slices of salami for breakfast and a bowl of reggios in 2% milk.

Lol 10 slices look at this scrub I ate 10 entire salamis for breakfast.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

notZaar posted:

Hows that cut going

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

2% lol

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
2% is the perfect blend of femininity and muscles.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

The lovely thing is the dentist fees left me broke as poo poo, so I don't have poo poo for protein or anything decent to eat until friday, but I doubt a few days of lovely diet is going to kill anything.

also being able to see a doctor for my knee issue is on hold as well because of that... standing 70 hours a week...

JFC

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

e:not sure why i used the word poo poo so much. perhaps it's the type of post?

Probably because your country is shafting you.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Constipated posted:

Probably had less than 3 hours of sleep today, and still crushed it in the gym for over 2 hours somehow. Didn't set any PR's, except for lack of sleep I guess? Starting to reliably get 2 great reps of 315 sumo deads before my grip goes out and I'm forced to stop. Guess I gotta work on strengthening that, but I feel more reps in me, just can't hold on long enough to get them!

I got 0 sleep and had 2 10 hour days in a row once, did 1.5 hours at the gym and did AMAZINGLY. I think it's the adrenaline you run on.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I don't know if it's a coincidence or confirmation bias but I've had the same thing happen, as long as it's just a night or two of bad sleep I'm usually fine.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm staying at a hotel all week and the first thing I did was go buy a bunch of uncured German salami. It's basically the perfect food.

Also on sleep, I find that I can go about 3-5 days with poo poo sleep before things start falling apart if I'm maintaining diet and working out regularly. But after that, I need to sleep and usually end up having to eat extra to recover.

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
I can only hit 90% if I've had a full night of sleep, two good meals, and mars is visible in the night sky

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

So I want to eat around 1800 calories a day for a few months. Do it right this time, lots of veggies and balanced meals. Thing is I only know how to make egg white omelettes, grilled chicken, plain pasta, rice (in a rice cooker), and microwave frozen veggies.

Any suggestions?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Bag of mixed greens, fresh tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers. There's your side dish for the next couple of weeks you poor bastard.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

UnfurledSails posted:

So I want to eat around 1800 calories a day for a few months. Do it right this time, lots of veggies and balanced meals. Thing is I only know how to make egg white omelettes, grilled chicken, plain pasta, rice (in a rice cooker), and microwave frozen veggies.

Any suggestions?

Eat fats you dumbass

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I rode my dumb rented bike past Muscle Beach in Venice today and it was closed. :(

There were like 100 people doing yoga and probably taking about being vegan and I laughed real hard as I rolled by though.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i eat nuts for breakfast

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Roylicious posted:

JFC

Probably because your country is shafting you.

It's a mix of that, and my own fault for not having a good enough savings. My job at least offers insurance, but even with that, I still had to pay a bit over 300, plus I missed some work from it, and got a 20 hour check, etc etc. But still, I can just barely comfortably afford living in the ghetto from working in a factory 70 hours a week(It really averages out to 60ish) so eh. Better place than I was before and working keeps me out of trouble. I just wish it didn't tear my body up so much.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
u should work at the candy and videogame factory like me instead

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
anyway, i'm adding some stuff into my bare bones starting strength style "do whatever" routine. Yeah, real routines are better but doing this sort of thing worked good for me before. Once I get my orders like my diet and stuff into affair I'm going to pick a real program, maybe something half BB and half strength focused, dunno yet. But until then I decided to bump my OHP and BP up to 5x5 instead of 3x5, and on OHP days I'm going to do dumbell bench as an accessory. That said, it's crazy how much harder that is. Right now, I can do about 5 or 6 reps of 145 on BB BP, but when I tried it with just 35 lb dumbells last time, I barely was able to get 8 reps. That's 70 lbs total compared to my 145 on barbell. Is that normal?

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

UnfurledSails posted:

Any suggestions?

on non-lift days commit yourself to a small lunch and a protein/veggie heavy dinner. on lift days let yourself eat more for lunch and maybe even have a breakfast but make sure your dinner is lower in calories than it typically is, but still equally high in protein. (assuming you lift in the evenings before dinner like i do)

dehumanize yourself and face to chicken breast

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

also good hot sauce is the best way to convert a chicken and rice dish from a bland exercise in nutritional determination into an exciting and tasty exercise of tastebud determination

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

working in a factory 70 hours a week(It really averages out to 60ish)

Man.. I did this for about 9 months when I was 19, while lifting for an hour 4-5 times a week. It was the most run down I've ever felt in my life probably. Almost every waking hour I felt like poo poo physically, and mentally as well. I didn't have to worry about keeping a roof over my head at the time though, thank god.

As far as DB BP not equaling your BB BP, I'd say thats normal. I have been doing BB for awhile now but for a few years I only did DB. After working up to 225 for a few sets I usually get 4 good reps before my arms start shaking and twitching. I'd say my 4 rep DB BP would probably be 90 or 95 pounds. The bar just makes it easier to stabilize the weight, therefore easier to push a heavier load.

Edit: I am 26 years old, 6'1 194 pounds, with just enough body fat to obscure a 6 pack. Otherwise pretty vascular.

Constipated fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 8, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
See, that's what's causing me a great deal of anxiety. With this knee issue, and to a lesser extend, my lower back pain issue, I worry that even with the perfect stretching regimen, etc, I won't be able to solve the issues and it may be impossible for me to work out and lift to any significant degree. I'm really hoping thats just my being paranoid though. I'm only 30 years old, and have never had any major injuries. Honestly, I've only been back on the lifting train for a month or two now. I'm hoping now that I've cut down my alcohol intake(beforehand I'd drink 5 or so beers, give or take every night) down to 1 or 2, and less soon, plus improving my diet will make a big difference in my recovery.

Another thing to consider is my actual quality of sleep. I work night shift, and even when I get to bed early, that's about when the sun is popping up. I'm buying some blackout curtains when I get paid Friday, so maybe sleeping in darkness again will help. Maybe all those things combined, with working on my stretching and foam rolling as well will let me ease back into it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Replace the alcohol addiction with something healthier, like jack3d.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

I also work night shift, but in a warehouse where I'm on my feet 8 hours a day 5 days a week. Foam rolling is a godsend. I roll every part of my body I can now when needed, but mostly just my entire back and hamstrings, sometimes my quads too when they get roasted. DON'T EVER SKIMP ON THE STRETCHING!! Do toe touches every single day, a few times a day. If you can't reach your toes and hold it there for a little while, you need to stretch.. I can almost put my palms flat on the ground with my legs completely straight when I'm warmed up, but I usually can't reach my toes in the beginning of my day until I do my stretches. Do them standing up, sitting on the ground with your legs flat as possible, together and spread apart.

I used to have a really weak lower back, and in recent months when I've drank a lot of beer and ate like poo poo it starts to bother me a little bit again. That bloated beer gut I assume you are dealing with is having a massive impact on your lower back, as well as abdominals. I've been there. Obvious solution is to stop drinking entirely if you want to get strong and look great, or only drink on weekends when you aren't working. Drinking a beer or two a day is counter productive, alcohol is proven to inhibit muscle recovery and growth. I guarantee you will feel better once you cut that out of your daily diet. I used to drink a 12 pack and 750ml bottle of vodka every weekend for a few months this past fall/winter, and since I stopped that poo poo I have added a ton of weight to my deadlift, and pretty much everything else, and I look a hell of a lot better. If I had a couple beers left over I'd drink those throughout the week as well, and not surprisingly I found that I didn't recover as fast and my abs/lower back felt weaker.

I stopped smoking weed 2 weeks ago, and I have so much more motivation and no longer sit around on my rear end debating whether or not to do something I know I should do, like prep healthy food for lunch at work. I just get up and take care of everything quickly and efficiently, and then enjoy the free time I'm left with before I have to get up and do it all over again. I love getting my buzz on and cutting loose as much as anyone, but I realized I was spending hard earned money to be lazy and unhealthy, and that kind of sucks. All in all I spend about 55-60 hours a week between work, driving to and from work/home/gym, and exercising. I've been a little irritated lately with not having enough time in the day to do all the things that make me happy and not depressed, so I've really made an effort to maximize that free time, and surprise surprise I'm feeling better in every way and lifting heavier weights than I was before. :buddy:

Sorry for all the words.

Constipated fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jun 8, 2016

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

notZaar posted:

Bag of mixed greens, fresh tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers. There's your side dish for the next couple of weeks you poor bastard.

So you just eat them raw or stir fry them or what?

soy posted:

Eat fats you dumbass

It's tough since it's hard to keep a meal both high fat and low calorie. I usually eat some almonds and cashews and stuff...

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

on non-lift days commit yourself to a small lunch and a protein/veggie heavy dinner. on lift days let yourself eat more for lunch and maybe even have a breakfast but make sure your dinner is lower in calories than it typically is, but still equally high in protein. (assuming you lift in the evenings before dinner like i do)

dehumanize yourself and face to chicken breast

I work out at 7am. I envy your boundless energy that enables you to work out at the end of a day

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

"I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing" breakfast experiment: Heat pan, put 230g egg whites, then put 40g rolled oats on top of the egg whites immediately. Mix with spatula for about a minute.

Result: Scrambled egg whites with oats. Tastes all right with a bit of salt and cinnamon. 290 calories, 30g protein, 35g carbs, 1g fat (lol).

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

UnfurledSails posted:

So you just eat them raw or stir fry them or whday

Raw, as in a salad. If you've got fat grams left in your budget then you can dress it up with olive oil and seasonings. The point is that these vegs are mostly fiber and water so they help keep you feeling full.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Waaaaaayyyyyy too long of posts in this thread what the gently caress

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
learn to eat veggies and you dont get hungry as much when youre cutting. All that fiber making love to your colon will make you feel full

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Not being able to recognize when a loving salad is being described is really the best thing to happen in this thread since salami chat.

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

UnfurledSails posted:

Any suggestions?

overnight oats (i add chia seeds and protein powder and make a batch for the entire week for my breakfasts)

also try baked salmon it's easy as gently caress 10-12 min in the oven @ 425

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
when are we getting those futuristic pills that you eat and it covers all your nutrinional needs for the day, cuz when im cutting i'd take those pills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Zzulu posted:

i eat nut for breakfast

I giggled a little too hard for that.

Hiking up loose rock slopes and staying there, sometimes holding odd positions is the best calf workout.

• Locked thread