Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Any solid info (or guesses) on when the rest of the 10x0 lineup is going to appear? I've read people are saying September onwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Custom 1080 board shipments got pushed back again to the 17th, looks like someone really messed up.

e: it's one thing to have really limited supply, but to have nothing week after week implies *issues*.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

well why not posted:

Any solid info (or guesses) on when the rest of the 10x0 lineup is going to appear? I've read people are saying September onwards.

I heard an unsubstantiated rumor that the 1060 is following the 1070/80 in ~3-4 months. The 1050s probably won't be out for a while since the 950 is still quite 'new.'

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Alchenar posted:

Custom 1080 board shipments got pushed back again to the 17th, looks like someone really messed up.

e: it's one thing to have really limited supply, but to have nothing week after week implies *issues*.

Like was previously speculated in this thread, it's assumed the new VRAM on the cards is likely the bottleneck in this case.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Alchenar posted:

The dates been June 17th since pre-ordering opened in May on Scan.co.uk. :shrug:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/dimitry49/status/740517917326970880

Wonder how they are getting to 2.2. Maybe they have a voltage unlocked bios on their dual bios cards?

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

ijyt posted:

The dates been June 17th since pre-ordering opened in May on Scan.co.uk. :shrug:

Maybe its more of a case that people were really not hot on the FE so they had to do something to push more out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

EVGA is still claiming their FTW cards are shipping next week. Perhaps the guy who reported the B&H news is in a 2nd shipping group or something?

https://twitter.com/EVGA_JacobF/status/740412190235234304

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Gigabyte 1080s showed up on Newegg for a hot minute (all 100 of them) and then sold out almost immediately.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Received a text message 5 minutes ago from nowinstock that newegg has a gigabyte in stock
Go to newegg and add to cart
Go to checkout and immediately receive error message that the card has been removed from my cart due to stock limitations

This is stupid. What am i doing. Never trust anything covered with colorful LED lights

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I think my graphics card is croaking. I've got a HD 7870 (Pitcairn) that has been running at stock settings and has been pretty much rock solid since I got it about three and a half years ago.

But now, when running 3D applications, the screen glitches intermittently and sometimes the display driver crashes and recovers. I think it started after Stellaris suddenly got the DirectX driver in an infinite loop, which resulted in a BSOD, or maybe that was just the first symptom.
I haven't updated my drivers since AMD started pushing their Crimson stuff so I really doubt it's some new driver bugs.

From reading the last few pages, this seems like the absolute worst time to get a new graphics card.
Assuming I'm willing to use my notebook and wait until graphics card land settles down a bit, what are even (upcoming) good cards nowadays? I game on a 1080p HDMI monitor with a TV connected, but mostly idle. And I have no plans whatsoever to get a new monitor any time soon.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Why not update your drivers?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Welp, the first custom cards are showing up for me and they are more expensive than the FEs across the board.

Let the scalping begin...

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Received a text message 5 minutes ago from nowinstock that newegg has a gigabyte in stock
Go to newegg and add to cart
Go to checkout and immediately receive error message that the card has been removed from my cart due to stock limitations

This is stupid. What am i doing. Never trust anything covered with colorful LED lights

Are they manufacturing these cards by hand? Why so few units?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Captain Yossarian posted:

Why not update your drivers?

Mainly because I was too lazy and the Crimson drivers had known issues I didn't feel like dealing with. Besides, would updating really help when the software used to run without problem?

E: Like, would it help to keep this poo poo from popping up over all my windows? This is after just now completely powering off, letting the caps drain and doing a cold boot, then opening Firefox and switching a tab. (More noticeable on dark parts of the screen, also goes over the taskbar and desktop whenever it feels like it.)

Geemer fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 8, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

mcbexx posted:

Welp, the first custom cards are showing up for me and they are more expensive than the FEs across the board.

Let the scalping begin...

gently caress's sake. Let's hope that it's just a demand thing like the 290(X) prices being super high and that it flattens out quickly.

afkmacro posted:

Are they manufacturing these cards by hand? Why so few units?

Probably launching before building up a supply. Gotta get your card out first.

Paiz
Jan 14, 2004

Geemer posted:

I think my graphics card is croaking. I've got a HD 7870 (Pitcairn) that has been running at stock settings and has been pretty much rock solid since I got it about three and a half years ago.

But now, when running 3D applications, the screen glitches intermittently and sometimes the display driver crashes and recovers. I think it started after Stellaris suddenly got the DirectX driver in an infinite loop, which resulted in a BSOD, or maybe that was just the first symptom.
I haven't updated my drivers since AMD started pushing their Crimson stuff so I really doubt it's some new driver bugs.

From reading the last few pages, this seems like the absolute worst time to get a new graphics card.
Assuming I'm willing to use my notebook and wait until graphics card land settles down a bit, what are even (upcoming) good cards nowadays? I game on a 1080p HDMI monitor with a TV connected, but mostly idle. And I have no plans whatsoever to get a new monitor any time soon.

It really depends on your price range. You only really have 3 options in the near future. The RX480 for ~$200-$250 at the low end and the 1070/1080 for ~$400+ at the higher end. You could also try waiting for more higher end options from AMD but you may be waiting until 2017 for Vega.

From what you described about your setup I think you would probably be fine with a RX480.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Geemer posted:

That's the reason to update drivers. Software isn't static, even seemingly unrelated OS patches can cause bugs that require driver updates, let alone game updates changing the rendering path. You generally don't get more bugs from updates (with rare exceptions), you get them from sticking with old drivers that are now well over a year old. Of course you could still have a hardware fault, but adding problems on top of problems makes it really hard to say definitively.

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Gigabyte 1080s showed up on Newegg for a hot minute (all 100 of them) and then sold out almost immediately.

These are currently in stock on NCIX Canada, shipping out of Toronto. They're $30 more than Newegg.ca had them for, but still cheaper than the FEs. Hell, they still have lots of 980 Tis that are priced higher. The firesale has been rather lackluster up here.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I have a $611 gigabyte preorder on amazon that I placed a week ago, before they started selling them for $650 at newegg and the like. I fully expect this order to be fulfilled in July NEVER, 2000 and gofuckyourself

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Newegg has a few up and the only one above the Founders Edition price is the MSI at 719.99 + 4.99 S/H. They don't have any stock other than an overpriced 773.14 + 9.69 S/H Zotac founders edition being sold by a third party.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Geemer posted:

You can update your drivers for free in a few minutes. If it doesn't fix the problem, you can revert to old drivers without too much difficulty. All alternatives require additional effort and cash spent to exhaust.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

craig588 posted:

That's the reason to update drivers. Software isn't static, even seemingly unrelated OS patches can cause bugs that require driver updates, let alone game updates changing the rendering path. You generally don't get more bugs from updates (with rare exceptions), you get them from sticking with old drivers that are now well over a year old. Of course you could still have a hardware fault, but adding problems on top of problems makes it really hard to say definitively.

In my defense, I am completely certain no software updated or patches got installed in the last week. But I get where you're coming from.

gently caress it, poo poo's already going down. May was well see if it'll help.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

At least it is good in a way to see this sort of demand for high end hardware that is actually a good step up from the last generation... If only Intel would follow suite with a chip with similar gains. :v:

I do wonder though if not only is the demand for Desktop cards taking stock, but also the new mobile chips (or desktop chips being used in Mobiles) might be taking a bit as well.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Geemer posted:

In my defense, I am completely certain no software updated or patches got installed in the last week. But I get where you're coming from.

I had a 4870X2 getting ready to RMA for the 3rd time doing similar stuff. (Working fine for a while, then artifacting randomly one day same as all AMD GPU's I have had that start to die)

I had some fun with it and found ways to unlock the voltages and cranked things up seeing what I could get or see if it would help.

Ran till I shipped it back, but at 1.3V those VRM's got up to 130C playing SC2 but hey, no more artifacting! That card was loud and hot with the old blower design too. The 5870 that they swapped me out for then has been running ok ever since. Good old visiontek.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Geemer posted:

Yeah sorry I didn't mean that in a "why not update your drivers you dingus??!?!" Way I was genuinely curious :) to answer your question about new cards, the 1070 looks like what you would want, or possibly the upcoming 480 but I genuinely don't know when that's out

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Captain Yossarian posted:

Yeah sorry I didn't mean that in a "why not update your drivers you dingus??!?!" Way I was genuinely curious :) to answer your question about new cards, the 1070 looks like what you would want, or possibly the upcoming 480 but I genuinely don't know when that's out

Naw, it's cool. It's a valid question and as I said, it was mainly laziness and not wanting to deal with the lovely known issues.

I just tried the latest Crimson beta that got released like yesterday. poo poo's still hosed.
But at least the new installer is much better and my desktop icons are actually still where I left them this time around.

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I really appreciate it, because unless you keep constant watch over it, those model numbers stop making sense the second you look away.
I was really hoping to just ride out this entire system until I couldn't play games anymore due to it being too old. Oh well, at least replacing a GPU is easier than swapping a motherboard.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
You could try removing the cooler, cleaning it, and reinstalling with fresh thermal paste. That may help, particularly if you have pets or if anyone smokes in the same room as the PC.

You could also try baking the card. Sometimes it can keep a card alive for another month or so.

dbcooper
Mar 21, 2008
Yams Fan

Geemer posted:

Have you tried blowing out any dust from the fans, cleaning it and redoing the thermal paste on the GPU?

On my older PC this seemed to help graphics card stability on my 5850.

Edit: f;b

dbcooper fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 8, 2016

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I was just about to say the same - check and clean/replace your cooler, the symptoms sound like an overheating card. I had this happen with my 8800GT - the fan would sometimes jut not spin up, causing glitches and crashes. When spinning it was fine but eventually it stopped and I fried the card dead.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Everyone posted:

Cooling issues.
Sure, I may as well try it tomorrow or something. I had just cleaned out the heatsink a few months ago (it was pretty clean).

Temperatures GPU-Z and the drivers report are fine, though. About 34~35°C on idle and up to 75°C on load with fans spinning at like 45% and I can hear it spinning, sounds like normal.
Temperatures also drop at a good pace once activity stops.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Those sound normal/good. Hmm

Have you checked your cable connection to make sure its tight or that the port it's plugged into isn't loose by any chance? Sometimes that might be a thing too.

Also is it under any warranty still? VisionTek is Lifetime! :)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Geemer posted:

Mainly because I was too lazy and the Crimson drivers had known issues I didn't feel like dealing with. Besides, would updating really help when the software used to run without problem?

E: Like, would it help to keep this poo poo from popping up over all my windows? This is after just now completely powering off, letting the caps drain and doing a cold boot, then opening Firefox and switching a tab. (More noticeable on dark parts of the screen, also goes over the taskbar and desktop whenever it feels like it.)

Your card's hosed but maybe you can squeeze a little more life out of it with underclocking while you figure out a replacement? Can't hurt to try. Just get Afterburner and turn the clocks down a bit.

It's weird but baking it sometimes helps too. It reflows the solder. If you're totally out of warranty and underclocking doesn't help I that can be your plan C.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 8, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I have a $611 gigabyte preorder on amazon that I placed a week ago, before they started selling them for $650 at newegg and the like. I fully expect this order to be fulfilled in July NEVER, 2000 and gofuckyourself

Why would you think it wouldn't be filled? Amazon's great.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

Why would you think it wouldn't be filled? Amazon's great.

I put the preorder in long before any of newegg's $649.99 stock became available to actually ship, and there have been no updates on a potential ship date from Amazon. I was using hyperbole because we're on an internet comedy forum but what I really mean is I wouldn't be surprised if gigabyte are not very motivated to fulfill those Amazon $611 orders in a timely manner when they can likely sell through any and all stock at $649.99 for the near future. Amazon reps have told impatient redditors that they will ship anywhere between second half of June or first half of July so I expect this is pretty elastic from their end.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's weird but baking it sometimes helps too. It reflows the solder. If you're totally out of warranty and underclocking doesn't help I that can be your plan C.

Yeah, I have revived a PS3 mainboard and a couple of old GPUs this way. I'd check around to confirm this but from what I recall it was 275F at 15 minutes, propping the card up off the baking sheet with balled up bits of aluminum foil on clear spots of PCB so it's not directly touching. You definitely want to remove the HSF and any other removable bits too so nothing plastic gets warped or melted. The PS3 died again after one last boot and one of the old GPUs lasted just a few months, but the other lasted until it was so old and useless I recycled it and you've got nothing to lose if you're about to recycle your card too.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I used the towel method on my 360. It's more metal that way :black101:

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I feel ya. I'm hanging on to my pre-price hike May 27th 1080 Strix preorder for dear life.

Hanging on while I sit here, reading about the delays. :shepicide:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Paul MaudDib posted:

Your card's hosed but maybe you can squeeze a little more life out of it with underclocking while you figure out a replacement? Can't hurt to try. Just get Afterburner and turn the clocks down a bit.

I'd definitely do a dusting and new thermal paste first, then maybe check display cables - couldn't hurt and only takes a few minutes to do each of them before assuming the card is completely hosed. I'm the type that'll exhaust every method first though, just how my brain is wired after dealing with terrible RMA service where I've been sent back the same broken stuff I sent in with their claim of "no problems detected".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Paul MaudDib posted:

I had similar problems with my 7970, vertical green lines and it eventually just crashed the driver when running 3D games. Baking the card to reflow the solder and reapplying paste got it back to functioning. It seems like voodoo magic, but it's worth trying if you don't want to upgrade just yet.