Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

People can have issues mistaking praise/criticism of something they've done (or a position they've taken) with praise/criticism of them. Maybe modding takes an extra level of social ineptitude in order to spend the time it takes to develop something amazing. What you do is not who you are. Maybe it takes some miles under your belt to see that or to no longer care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Well, steering this thread in a somewhat different direction, I recall some posters were asking about "mod packs." I found something like a mod-pack for Skyrim that seems to be focused on immersive playing. USE-ME Ultimate Skyrim Experience Maximum Edition (The names mods come up with haha)

I didn't try it myself but maybe this is what you guys were looking for. It focuses on the use of Requiem over other similar mods, however.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I wonder what the most offensive modpack name I could come up with would be.

Combined Ultimate Modpack for Skyrim Legendary Updates and Tools?

Edit: Giant Optimized And Tweaked Skyrim Experience

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 4, 2016

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Transmogrifier posted:

Well, steering this thread in a somewhat different direction, I recall some posters were asking about "mod packs." I found something like a mod-pack for Skyrim that seems to be focused on immersive playing. USE-ME Ultimate Skyrim Experience Maximum Edition (The names mods come up with haha)

I didn't try it myself but maybe this is what you guys were looking for. It focuses on the use of Requiem over other similar mods, however.

Thanks for this! I was the one looking for a mod pack, but I have since cobbled together my own set of mods. I basically just downloaded the top 20 mods in every category on the Nexus and then fiddled with them until it would boot up. It crashes a lot, and all of the children have turned into anime but I find the experience much more immersive.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Agents are GO! posted:

I wonder what the most offensive modpack name I could come up with would be.

Combined Ultimate Modpack for Skyrim Legendary Updates and Tools?

Edit: Giant Optimized And Tweaked Skyrim Experience

Natural Immersive Gaming something something something

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Combined Ultimate Natural Terrain.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Apoplexy posted:

Natural Immersive Gaming something something something

Natural Immersive Graphics and Gameplay Enhanced Restoration for Skyrim

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Kyle666's Immersive Lighting and Landscapes for Journeying an Enhanced World of Skyrim

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 4, 2016

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Nazeem's absolutely Zealous Immersion.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Getting to the Cloud District More Often. 16384x16384 texture and gameplay overhaul. HD.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Skyrim Hardcore Immersion Trip

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

KakerMix posted:

They are right but you don't get to control access to the material you put up on the internet, no matter how badly you want to and whatever the rules say. Blocking someone like Nexus does just means you force the sides to where you are on one side and the person you blocked is on the other, and they now have a reason to be mad. Then, they are just going to make a new account and do it all again and the nexus solution has solved exactly dick. The way Nexus handles it is bad and allows an easier way to drive the divide between players and mod makers when they start out as the exact same group. Rules are cool and good but since there is no way to actually enforce the rules in any meaningful sense it's just a bunch of posturing and ego clashing. The real solution is to not be dicks to each other but classically there is always a few giant dicks that gently caress it up and set precedence. We all remember the oblivion gate crisis and that sort of poo poo sets the tone for how people think mod makers are. Then, you have super-asses that harass mod makers which then sets the tone for how someone who makes mods might think their players are.

Really I am once again going to point the finger at the Nexus and how their moderation policies are stilted.

Like, idk if anyone still gives a poo poo but I want to say, this is really where I was coming from when I was talking to Nerd of Prey. (That and a reflexive frustration at anyone playing the "you don't know what it's like, man!" card when, well, maybe more people than you imagine do, but w/e.) I don't think mod authors should have to eat any degree of poo poo from users, but in the interest of community there should be some boundaries on how to deal with that. I'd like to see a policy that allows the best authors to not have to deal with the worst users without presenting too much risk to good users or overly empowering petty rear end in a top hat authors, and I think the "ban from downloading" policy goes to far in one direction and stifles honest discussion.

Pointing the finger at the Nexus is key, because it's not just authors and users. Authors host their stuff on the Nexus, and the people running the Nexus have a say in how people use their site. They don't have to allow authors (as users of their site) to restrict downloading permissions from any other user. They can and should allow blocking from comments. If the download ban is to exist, they also don't have to take a hands-off approach. They can put conditions on it in terms of what user behavior justifies that response. In the end, though, my issue is with the policy.

(Side note, but people sending rape or death threats or any kind of threat to anyone need to be permabanned from the whole site, banning from downloading is not even remotely sufficient for that.)

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I want to see bizzaro world nexus that has a disclaimer whenever you upload something that says:

-Bethesda Softworks legally owns everything made with their tools, not you
-Users reserve the right to praise or criticize the mods, not the mod authors
-All blocks of users can be appealed

and then implement a downvote button for mods as well

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mortimer posted:

I want to see bizzaro world nexus that has a disclaimer whenever you upload something that says:

The response to this would be 'oh blaboobaloo the modding scene wouldn't work then' which is a bunch of poo poo. Either the mod community will work or it won't, and catering to the egos of people has nothing to do with it.
I'm 'THE INVISIBLE HAND OF THE MARKET WILL SOLVE EVERYTHING' as gently caress when it comes to modding communities because there is no consequences (that matter) to it. I know I keep drawing parallels to Minecraft since that's what I know, but three years ago the big name modders were a completely different group than what exists today, so much so that lots of players won't recognize the old-guard names at all. Back then when poo poo was getting shaken up there was gnashing of teeth about how the community will die and players should respect the mod makers and without the mod makers there would be no community and a bunch of other egotistical sewage. What really happened was the old modders faded to nothing as new and interesting mods came onto the scene made by people that were much more ~cathedral~ about the whole thing that came at it from a player's perspective. The mods were born out of "I am a player and I want to do A, I will make a mod to do A" then they grew in scope and refined out and players rewarded that with downloading, playing and talking about the mod and spreading it far and wide. The upshot to the newest mods is they are usually open source as well, so when the mod maker does go MIA (because if you don't enjoy what you are doing anymore just stop) someone else picks it up and keeps going.
Players make the rules, they determine how 'good' a mod is via downloads, reputation and dialog surrounding it. Good thing that every single person is a player including all the mod makers so it should be easy to be nice to each other right guys???

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

There's never going to be a nexus competitor if someone doesn't set out to make one, but I wonder if the initial resistance would be too much to work through?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Davoren posted:

There's never going to be a nexus competitor if someone doesn't set out to make one, but I wonder if the initial resistance would be too much to work through?

Perhaps everyone could just post their normal mods to Lovers Lab? It is an already established Nexus competitor.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Dunno, it's not really a competitor to Nexus any more than a sex shop is a competitor to Walmart imo.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Rutibex posted:

Perhaps everyone could just post their normal mods to Lovers Lab? It is an already established Nexus competitor.

Way ahead of ya. :cool:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mortimer posted:

I definitely agree that there should be a rating system that authors don't have complete (or any) control over, though a section for an "author rebuttal" would be nice to include.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rutibex posted:

The community there is apparently far less toxic than the Nexus.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

There's other modding sites like TES Alliance and Great House Fliggerty too.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
There's Bethesda.net guys! :viggo:

Really though, I've not used it but I assume it's a lot like Workshop was. I'm guessing it probably can't do complex installations like modular options and compatibility patches (at least without a ridiculous number of extra steps and sub mods and whatnot).

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Squeegy posted:

The community there is apparently far less toxic than the Nexus.

Isn't it funny that weird sex perverts are the more reasonable and accessible people when compared to the Nexus.

A few months have passed and it's time to attempt to mod and play skyrim again! I'll probably even play it actually this time as I figured mator smash out and it solved all my headaches. Why isn't that tool advertised more? I think this is the first time I don't have mods either conflicting out of my nose or spending hours upon hours solving conflicts in tes5edit which drained all interest in playing the game. Great Tool.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Because its a bitch (apparently) to figure out, and honestly isn't ready for prime time in some ways. I've managed to create smash patches that cause CTDs at the main menu.

For 99% of people, a TES5edit merged patch is sufficient.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
It sure would be nice if we had a new OP to explain these things.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Whizbang posted:

If this were the nexus, your rear end would've been tanned and banned right now, hooo boy

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 5, 2016

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Agents are GO! posted:

Because its a bitch (apparently) to figure out, and honestly isn't ready for prime time in some ways. I've managed to create smash patches that cause CTDs at the main menu.

For 99% of people, a TES5edit merged patch is sufficient.

I noticed some thing where it renamed .esp files to .bak files, causing CTDs at the main menu because masters were suddenly missing, that was because I didn't configure it properly for use with MO. Also one time it dumped some files from the patch for literally no reason, apparently combining settings with "manage tags" can provoke all kinds of weirdness. Beyond that it worked well and better than the merged patch for me, as that wouldn't really merge all that much and sometimes also in very weird ways. The video tutorial that dude did sadly has the problem that he can't really explain well how the tool works, I've been familiar with all that record stuff since Morrowind/Oblivion and that obviously did make it easier to understand. The cool thing is that you can tweak what you want to have merged and what mod you want to have a base for lists on a per-mod-basis and if you have set that once properly you never have to touch it again if you don't do big changes to your loadout.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Whizbang posted:

Relax. Agents has some health issues that makes sitting and typing for any real period of time difficult. He'll get to it when he gets to it.

I'll post an updated "Modding Skyrim in a Billion Easy Steps" list after he does update the OP, though.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

It's kind of a pain typing an OP on my phone, too. :|

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Whizbang posted:

gently caress you, get banned from reading my posts

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Actually now that you mention it, it would be pretty awesome if the SA forums let you ban other posters from reading your posts in addition to ignoring theirs

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Fargin Icehole posted:

If this were the nexus, your rear end would've been tanned and banned right now, hooo boy

This is why I only use LoversLab and google translated Japanese skyrim blogs.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I love how none of these joke scenarios even consider using the Steam workshop.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Cross posting from the Fallout 4 thread as it seems somewhat relevant to the discussion.

This is interesting, it seems PC mods are being reuploaded for the consoles, and Bethesda has told modders whose work has been taken that they can file DMCA reports on it. I don't know much about the law involved, but this seems to imply a degree of ownership of the created mod by the modder that I wouldn't expect Bethesda to grant.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-06-row-over-stolen-fallout-4-mods

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I dunno, it also could be that they don't want to bother using their own legal resources and are basically crowdsourcing a massive takedown notice wave.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

bethesda knows what the rest of us do, if someone gets handed legal papers they'll do everything to get rid of them, even if there's no weight behind them.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Davoren posted:

Cross posting from the Fallout 4 thread as it seems somewhat relevant to the discussion.

This is interesting, it seems PC mods are being reuploaded for the consoles, and Bethesda has told modders whose work has been taken that they can file DMCA reports on it. I don't know much about the law involved, but this seems to imply a degree of ownership of the created mod by the modder that I wouldn't expect Bethesda to grant.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-06-row-over-stolen-fallout-4-mods

How DMCAs work is like this:

Someone (anyone regardless of who it is) files a DMCA takedown request. The host forwards it on to you, then response to this is to file a counter-DMCA and then send that to the host. The host then sends that to the person that filed the DMCA takedown and then they have to serve papers to you and take you to court.
DMCAs in the wild start and end with the request portion right at the beginning mostly because most free hosting solutions (file hosts, YouTube) assume all DMCAs are legit and cuts access to whatever is being DCMA'd immediately which then your counter-DMCA will take some amount of days to sit with no response from the person that filed the original DMCA and then the media is accessible once more. If you are paying for your hosting (like you host your own website and it gets DMCA'd) your hosting provider will get DMCA'd and forward it on to you and give you a time limit of some number of days to respond before they kill access to whatever was DMCA'd. Plenty of time to file a counter-DMCA and send that off which your host then sends to the DMCA-er and then dick-all happens because their DMCA takedown request is a copy/paste job from a google search just like your counter-DMCA is a copy/paste job from Google but at least you got rid of most of the 'this is obviously a template' bits unlike the scrublord that filed the DMCA in the first place.

Bascially Bethesda doing it this way is a very standard way of doing things especially because this mod hosting stuff is free. Just because you send off a DMCA takedown notification on a mod on their platform doesn't grant you any ownership beyond the standard stuff you get from just creating a thing in the first place, the proof part comes when you have to serve papers and go to court. Bethesda is doing the very standard Cover Your Own rear end way of doing things in case someone uploads models and textures from another game that is owned by a business that has a legal team and is very keen on protecting their trademarks. I'm also going to assume that since anyone can request a DMCA on anything (because there are zero checks) and Bethesda will simply get a request, go 'welp' and nuke access to the file right away. Protects them just in case the DMCA is real and absolves them of any guilt or responsibility.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is this thread still active?

I felt like playing this again for some reason, and I've already installed tons of mods but I have a quick question to those who might know more about it; Does the Immersive Weapons mod with its metric crapton of new weapons do anything to improve the weapon tier system from the vanilla game? Rather, does it add new and interesting good weapons that aren't ebony/deadric/dragonbone?

One thing that makes me reluctant to replay the game is that I'm not a huge fan of the weapon tiers, you always start the game with Iron stuff and end with Daedric stuff. I've never been a fan of the daedric aesthetic so I'd much rather use.. well, anything else without having to gimp myself. I found a couple of transmogrification mods that would solve this, but they all seemed pretty iffy and.. experimental. Basically, I just want an expanded selection of "endgame" weaponry with more looks than "black, red and spiky".

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Is this thread still active?

I felt like playing this again for some reason, and I've already installed tons of mods but I have a quick question to those who might know more about it; Does the Immersive Weapons mod with its metric crapton of new weapons do anything to improve the weapon tier system from the vanilla game? Rather, does it add new and interesting good weapons that aren't ebony/deadric/dragonbone?

One thing that makes me reluctant to replay the game is that I'm not a huge fan of the weapon tiers, you always start the game with Iron stuff and end with Daedric stuff. I've never been a fan of the daedric aesthetic so I'd much rather use.. well, anything else without having to gimp myself. I found a couple of transmogrification mods that would solve this, but they all seemed pretty iffy and.. experimental. Basically, I just want an expanded selection of "endgame" weaponry with more looks than "black, red and spiky".

Yeah, I really don't care for the way daedric looks either, though ebony can look nice.

There's quite a few weapon mods that add ebony/daedric tier weapons that have steel-like visuals, I'll see if I can dig some up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I don't know about Immersive Weapons, but there are some other good sword mods out there that add high-tier weapons.

------

Billyroo has made some really neat-looking swords, and they've recently become available as a compilation.

Be aware that as of now, neither the individual sword mods nor the compilation have leveled lists, they're hidden away, and have to be found.

----

InsanitySorrow has some good swords as well:

The Thegn

The Thegn is a steel sword with ebony tier stats. Craftable only.

--

The Stamford

The Stamford is a steel sword with dwemer tier stats. Craftable only.

--

The Bastard

The Bastard is a two-handed steel sword with above steel tier stats. Craftable only.

----

"The Loners Sword"

"The Loners Sword" (yes, it's spelled that way) is a steel longsword with above deadric tier stats, and is hidden away in a certain cave.

You'll probably want to download Sharlikran's patch for it though, as the mod itself is very old.

----

You can also try out Morrowloot Ultimate, which prevents stuff like Daedric and Ebony equipment from being handed out to random NPCs.

• Locked thread