Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

The Sicilian posted:

Believe me, I have a Porshe Macan S in Chicago for my time out there

Can I drive/store your Macan when you're not out here? I can take good care of it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Boten Anna posted:

Yeah exactly, ESPECIALLY if some miracle is pulled off with graphene or some poo poo that makes having 200+kwh battery packs cheap and able to charge quickly, though even with what we know we have, if I understand correctly that new coating they discovered for the metal in battery cells should pretty much eliminate any disadvantages to quick charging (faster degradation) and makes it so that the sticker size of the battery pack remains consistent for years. 200 kWh, if it could be done without a vast increase in weight or other range-impacting factors, would bring cars up to what like 500 mile range? That's better than gas, and at that point even with the existing charging network someone in a poo poo apartment that can't even L1 charge would only have to hunt down a place to plug in roughly every other week.

Another thing we'll probably see at that point is SUVs being a thing again. I don't like to think about this as it has a lot of negative implications but not all futurism is positive :v: Not that they ever went away but they're hard to justify as a sensible long-term choice what with the instability of gas prices, but a pure EV with 300 mi range and at roughly the same cost as the current ones? All those dealerships crying that it isn't the 90s where they made a jillion dollars selling those things sure would be happy. "0% for 36 months and $2500 factory cash or home charger installation on the new Escalade EV. Distinctly Black. Just like all the others."

The big manufacturers are already pivoting towards a service model. GM bought into lyft. Uber "bought" 100,000 mercedes s-classes, ford is doing their "Smart mobility" thing. They've accepted that the car as a product gravy train is over, and are preparing to cash in on the car as a service. You'll buy a ford membership or a GM membership and you'll get so many miles a month in an autonomous car. You'll have nothing to refuel, nothing to park, nothing to maintain. No worries about range because you'll be getting into a different car when you come back out of the yogen früz

Or trump will become president and you'll have to armor your car up and go out in search of fuel. Whatever.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Michael Scott posted:

Can I drive/store your Macan when you're not out here? I can take good care of it. :)

Sure, its on floor 6 at 401 N. Wabash. Ask the doorman for keys.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Powershift posted:

The big manufacturers are already pivoting towards a service model. GM bought into lyft. Uber "bought" 100,000 mercedes s-classes, ford is doing their "Smart mobility" thing. They've accepted that the car as a product gravy train is over, and are preparing to cash in on the car as a service. You'll buy a ford membership or a GM membership and you'll get so many miles a month in an autonomous car. You'll have nothing to refuel, nothing to park, nothing to maintain. No worries about range because you'll be getting into a different car when you come back out of the yogen früz

Or trump will become president and you'll have to armor your car up and go out in search of fuel. Whatever.

Honestly I'd prefer option 2.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
There's going to be a clear split between car as a service and car as a toy/recreational product. I am pretty excited for that day to come. You don't always need the same capabilities in a vehicle so a high degree of flexibility would be a major benefit - it's like an actually convenient version of Zipcar.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There's going to be a clear split between car as a service and car as a toy/recreational product. I am pretty excited for that day to come.

Enjoy your $5000/yr insurance "because it's just an expensive toy, after all"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sagebrush posted:

why would it be different from current stated value insurance policies

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

Robot cars will move out of my way. I currently pay $200 a year I don't see why that will go up. Only dummy 20 somethings are so bad at driving they have trees jump out in front of them.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

The Sicilian posted:

Sure, its on floor 6 at 401 N. Wabash. Ask the doorman for keys.

Dammit. I will work for Porsche. Need anyone to work for you?

Trump Tower doesn't just give away keys, do they.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There's going to be a clear split between car as a service and car as a toy/recreational product. I am pretty excited for that day to come. You don't always need the same capabilities in a vehicle so a high degree of flexibility would be a major benefit - it's like an actually convenient version of Zipcar.

I've been using Zipcar lately and it's pretty nice. They don't give a poo poo about the condition of their vehicles though. Dents, scratches, and rust everywhere on a 2 year old car. I have to spend 5 minutes of every rental circling the car and verbally listing all the poo poo wrong with it so I don't get blamed.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 8, 2016

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah, it will be great. Park the car you own on the nearest race track, take the autotaxi to get there.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Powershift posted:

The future is going to be a lot more multimodal than you imagine. Yes there will be ride sharing of fleets, but the car companies are not going to stop selling cars to individuals.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I imagine personal cars will be banned in high density areas and you'll park at a satellite lot and take an automated vehicle of some sort to your destination. Cuts down on congestion and pollution while still being more convenient than a bus.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Michael Scott posted:

Trump Tower doesn't just give away keys, do they.

It's funny, a lot of days I think about swapping them before coming to the hard realization the Porsche does everything better in the winters of Chicago; not to mention the lack of Superchargers in Chicago metro.

But, I do think the Tesla turns heads out in the midwest still, and I am craving a nice drive on lake shore drive with it; so we shall see.

I hope the future allows for easier electric car ownership in the midwest; at least comparable to Socal as it currently stands would be nice.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Holy hell am I envious, what a beautiful view. I'm always in the loop by the way.

Can I give you my email or would you rather not get friendly with goons? I want to hear what you do for a living, and see what I can do to try and get there. :)

Sorry for the derail, no PMs here yet.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Your car has a nicer view than I do.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Michael Scott posted:

Holy hell am I envious, what a beautiful view. I'm always in the loop by the way.

Pretty Cool Name posted:

Your car has a nicer view than I do.

Thanks guys, I am in the process of selling a medical tech company and these toys are the only thing keeping me going. Found a grey hair at 25 the other day, and it made me depressed.

Hoping to purchase an X upon sale of said company, would love to give Chicago goons a ride in 6 months when I'm back if anyone is interested.

In the interim the Porsche is being taken out by my assistant once a day. They keep asking if the Tesla is being brought back lol, I can't wait to show up in the X.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Xpost from CA; at the other end of the financial spectrum my little cousin just got her first job after her MA, at a conservative think-tank in DC (blame her Da, I do). Against her da's grave advice she's planning on living in the District proper, which is awesome, plus her da will probably gift her an quality handgun out of concern so yet more free stuff for her.

Are there any electric street-legal scooters worth buying, or is the market still just shoddy Chinese junk and a couple of $5k nice models that are cool but not worth buying over a used gas bike unless you have money to burn? Looking for one of those <30mph dealies that need no M license (but since the 2013 law changes still require registration and insurance in DC).

And yes I know that in DC you can get by totally fine with Metro, Lyft, and Bikeshare but this kid has been craving a scooter forever and it'd be cute and slightly convenient.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 11, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I don't think that the sub-30 mph scooters are really road-safe. More like a motorized bicycle than a motor vehicle. I sure wouldn't want to ride one in serious traffic.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Not many good options I'm afraid. Vectrix made some decent scooters, they went bankrupt. BMW makes an electric scooter, not sure if they've brought it outside the German market yet. Obviously not cheap. Then there's your Zeros and Brammos, which aren't scooters nor cheap. The rest is Chinese poo poo.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
Made by Mahindra.

http://www.genze.com/electric-scooter/

and there was another metal framed one I saw as well.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Sicilian posted:

Made by Mahindra.

Wow, that was new to me. Looks great.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

The Sicilian posted:

Made by Mahindra.

This actually looks really good for someone I know, I wonder if you can plug it into a regular car charger or if it's 110v only.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Boten Anna posted:

This actually looks really good for someone I know, I wonder if you can plug it into a regular car charger or if it's 110v only.

Escooter Site posted:

Snap your battery in and out for easy charging and security. Plug it into any standard outlet for a boost on the fly.

It appears from the press materials on the site a standard outlet is possible to use with the additional option to remove the batteries for charging in your home.

EDIT: I wonder what this would cost after Cali rebate.

Double EDIT: Why isn't Honda slapping some fun colors on these and charging a 1/3rd more for simple brand cachet. These could be the iPhone of loving EV Scooters.

The Sicilian fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 12, 2016

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/782844499/the-super-73

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Frame geometry is bad.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Platystemon posted:

Frame geometry is bad.

Care to elaborate? I think it is BS they used steel rather than aluminum.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Sicilian posted:

Care to elaborate? I think it is BS they used steel rather than aluminum.

Sure. This is a conventional bike frame:

Here are the parts labelled:

Here's the Super 73' [sic]:

Notice what it’s missing? The seat tube.

A conventional bike frame is divided into triangles. For reasons covered in Engineering 101, that’s generally a good idea. This bike’s frame is not.

Essentially, the conventional bike frame can only be “squished” by a force at one of the vertices—which is where all the important stuff is attached, rider, crank, wheels—by crushing or stretching one of the tubes.

Imagine that at each vertex there was a greased pin, with no weld, and the tubes were free to rotate. That wouldn’t really matter; you’d have to destroy one of the tubes to change the frame’s shape.

To squish the Super ’73’s frame, all that’s necessary is to bend tube at one of the corners, which is a lot easier. The freely‐rotating pins wouldn’t work here—the stiffness of those corners is the only thing keeping the bike from folding.

Now of course the Super ’73 isn’t meant for hard riding, and it’s entirely possible to use more steel to make up for the fact that the shape is weak, but I don’t like the look of it. Hit enough pot holes, and the frame just might break.

“Women’s” bikes use suboptimal frame geometry, lowering the top tube so the bike is easier to straddle, but I’m not sure why the Super ’73 does. I thought maybe they’d use that open centre area for storage, but they don’t in the video or any of the illustrations on that page. It seems to me that there isn’t a particularly good reason not to reinforce it; it’s just that “vintage motorcycles did it this way”. They’d have to tweak the design, but it should be doable, and would lighten the bike, make it stronger, or some combination of the two.

Steel may actually be the better choice, by the way. Aluminium is brittle, and the stress this frame encounters at the corners would kill aluminium in a way steel is more resistant against.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jun 12, 2016

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Very interesting Platystemon. I've never thought about it before, probably because nobody who makes bike frames have done it. I can see it now, "look how much more space we have, why do we need an old fashioned frame? *snap! scraping noises, ambulance* oh, THAT'S why we do..."

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Just like a café racer that bike isn't designed to be ridden further than to your favorite coffee shop, where you park it prominently outside for your hipster buddies to see.

Why bother with durability when it will be ridden single digit miles per year.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A single digit amount of miles is more than long enough to contain a bump which will cause a fat guy to break his frame, injure himself and sue the company.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Unless you are 600 lbs and try to jump it that will probably hold up just fine..

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
But if you're going to have a not-reinforced frame, why not drop the crossbar and be scooter-style, so the omission adds some comfort value?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
What 1970s motorcycle are they trying to emulate? Everything I can find has either a frame similar to bicycles (ie triangles) or something more complicated with supports inside the larger trapezoid. I can't find one that looks like theirs.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's not an exact imitation of any particular motorcycle frame, but it's similar to an early cradle frame like the Norton "Featherbed."

It's hard to see the resemblance at a glance, because that space inside is usually filled with, you know, the motor, so here it is stripped:

From a motorcycle standpoint, it's not a great design either; the triangulation is minimal and the motor's whole weight is carried by the frame, making it heavy and prone to flexing. The big advantages are that it's easy to pull the engine out of the frame to work on it without taking the whole bike apart, and you can use rubber mounts all around (since the engine isn't a structural component), so vibration can be minimized. These considerations were a lot more important when engines were shaky and broke down all the time than they are today. They aren't important at all on an electric bicycle.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Pff get back to me when they make an electric version of this:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Mange Mite posted:

?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mange Mite posted:

WTF is that? And.. why?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Locator posted:

WTF is that? And.. why?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xjxg1Y7q8w

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Mange Mite posted:

That's nearly right, but in an electric version you obviously want to be strapped horizontally inside a little comfortable cocoon, like a person on a hang-glider. That way you reduce your drag and also remove the uncomfortable bike saddle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Mange Mite posted:

Its a Flintstones bike!

• Locked thread