Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hanzo's ult is super loud, but the problem is a little packet loss will often mean you're dead before he's even finished reading his speech out, especially if he's on the other side of 3 walls and you've no idea which direction he's firing. I die to that stupid thing more than any other ult, I had one travel half the map to hit me as I was leaving a spawn room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
as widow, i can deal with dvas getting up in my face because they slow to a crawl as they try to shoot me

but chaos apes, there is no escape

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Mei's ult callout is terrible, for sure. It's a random phrase in Chinese that sounds like any number of the other random things she can say, then suddenly your team is frozen. Also, its not louder than normal voice lines, so it's super easy to miss in a fight. And the item itself makes almost no noise when you toss it out, until it activates and starts the freezer noise at which point you're already hosed unless you have a movement ability that will get you out.

I feel like footsteps were really quiet after these patches too. I definitely had a D.va and a Roadhog sneak up on me several times in a couple matches, never heard a noise then suddenly shotguns. Whereas before I could usually pick out any character running up behind me, even lighter ones. Maybe just me having an off day, but it was really weird.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Hanzo's ult is super loud, but the problem is a little packet loss will often mean you're dead before he's even finished reading his speech out, especially if he's on the other side of 3 walls and you've no idea which direction he's firing. I die to that stupid thing more than any other ult, I had one travel half the map to hit me as I was leaving a spawn room.

I think I've never gotten more than one kill with his ult. Even one wall away, everyone scrambles so fast once I fire it. I've been trying to kill 4 for the achievement with over 5 hours of played time now without much luck. I can't wait to land it so I never have to play him again. Even if I instantly pick him, 1-2 people on the team still pick Hanzo/Widowmaker. I need to become friends with a good Zarya.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

NTRabbit posted:

It's sometimes unavoidable but if you can't tell in what general direction the dragon is going to go based on the current map/game situation, then you really need to brush up on your game sense.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

totalnewbie posted:

It's sometimes unavoidable but if you can't tell in what general direction the dragon is going to go based on the current map/game situation, then you really need to brush up on your game sense.

I'm in a room on my own, no indication of where Hanzo is, bam, comes through the wall and takes me.

I'm pushing the cart as Tracer, I know where Hanzo is around the corner, I hear him spin up, I immediately double skip back and to the left from the cart, and I die because for reasons beyond me he aimed 40m to the left of the cart at absolutely nobody.

I die because I'm within 30m of the Hanzo, and I'm playing Bastion, or Torb, or Zenyatta, or Zarya, or Roadhog, or any of the slow characters who have absolutely no way to avoid it once the attack starts.

Sometimes the map just won't let you dodge, because the room is too small, or because it's a good shot that a wall forces me into.

Other times it's like that spawn corridor kill, where I was nowhere loving near the battle or what he was shooting at, but I manage to be in a direct line double the distance away and never see it coming.

I am unable to fathom where the talk about it being the easiest ult to dodge comes from, when the only way it can be easily dodged is if you're out in the open, a reasonable distance away, and know exactly where the Hanzo is.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Once you become more familiar with the game you'll notice that 95% of all Hanzos are super predictable and will line up the dragon straight down the middle of the payload + capture point + whatever objective is priority at the moment. Even most randoms that I see in QM these days start casually moving out of the way as soon as his incredibly loud, distinct callout begins and he whiffs everyone.

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch
Hanzo's is an example of a good ult:

* It's big and loud and obnoxious. Anytime it happens, everyone in the server knows it (unless you're an idiot playing with sound off).
* It kills any people caught in its path
* Even if it doesn't kill anyone, it's still disruptive enough to the enemy team needing to get out of the way that it could give your team what it needs to make another push to the point.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
There's a dead area before the Ult fires off so you don't get insta gibbed and beyond that it's really not difficult to dodge. It's no different to High Noon or "I got you in my sights", but instead of needing to find cover from them you instead need to back off from cover incase a slow moving dragon bursts out of it and kills you. Which makes it easier to dodge, because there isn't always cover to hide behind but you can always just stand in an open area and wait to see which way you need to dive.

I wouldn't say it's the easiest to dodge though. That goes to D.Va, which gives you so much warning that you'll only die to it if you're asleep. Even rocket boosted in it's not hard to tell where you need to go to avoid it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Yeah people say it's the easiest ult to avoid, but that's based on the assumption that the Hanzo is playing well and aiming at a cluster of players/the payload. It's ironically much harder to avoid if the Hanzo sucks and will just shoot it wherever his heart tells him to. It's always funny to be the only person on your team who gets dragon-ganked because he fired it in a seemingly random direction, missing literally everyone who was doing anything productive, but you happened to blunder into them dragons while running back from spawn.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

What's the best plan for capping the second point on Volskaya when the enemy team has a bunch of torbjorns and bastions set up around it in the hallways and on the catwalks? I feel like that's one of the hardest points to get in the game even without turret hell.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The counter for a bunch of Torbs/Bastions is for your team to switch to Characters which don't rely on close range damage. Ditch the Reapers/Tracers and bring Junkrats/Soldiers/Widows/Genji's and it's a breeze to just shoot the turrets down. It's not like they can move anywhere. A Mercy for damage boost is also a huge help.

Solo Queued pubbies will never do this and continue trying to kill a turret farm with Reaper despite dying over and over. When this happens you're just boned.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
Every day is the same thing, I spend all day at work thinking about who I'm going to play as to learn better, and 5 minutes into the match I cave and switch because we need a support or tank or front-line damage dealer. I completely forget that I wanted to try characters I'm not familiar with.

This brawl fixes that, but just like hearthstone, I'm sad they dont add these modes permanently. I understand not wanting to fragment your players into too many different queues, but it's nice to have options.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tales of Woe posted:

What's the best plan for capping the second point on Volskaya when the enemy team has a bunch of torbjorns and bastions set up around it in the hallways and on the catwalks? I feel like that's one of the hardest points to get in the game even without turret hell.

Widows, Pharahs and Genji can all leap across the gap around the right side and give you clear lines of sight to their back row. Even a Junkrat can get across there and start bouncing grenades into the Torb turrets.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Soothing Vapors posted:

Yeah people say it's the easiest ult to avoid, but that's based on the assumption that the Hanzo is playing well and aiming at a cluster of players/the payload. It's ironically much harder to avoid if the Hanzo sucks and will just shoot it wherever his heart tells him to. It's always funny to be the only person on your team who gets dragon-ganked because he fired it in a seemingly random direction, missing literally everyone who was doing anything productive, but you happened to blunder into them dragons while running back from spawn.

All of this

Fans posted:

There's a dead area before the Ult fires off so you don't get insta gibbed and beyond that it's really not difficult to dodge. It's no different to High Noon or "I got you in my sights"

High Noon has a delay though, as the player waits for as many dots as possible before pulling the trigger; it's probably the lag, but for me there is no delay with Hanzo, the dragons are already happening and on their way before he finishes talking, at short range you get a split second to pick a direction to run before they're on you and you're dead. S76s also has no warning, but it's not an instant death. Likewise, neither S76 nor McCree can shoot through walls, so you always know where it's coming from, pub Hanzos shoot everywhere and through everything.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Also, I finally got King's Row for the first time last night after 115 games (??) and then didn't even get to play both sides since a bunch of people quit halfway through the game. very pretty map though.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tales of Woe posted:

Also, I finally got King's Row for the first time last night after 115 games (??) and then didn't even get to play both sides since a bunch of people quit halfway through the game. very pretty map though.

:zenpop:

wow, thats crazy

kings row is one of my favorites id hate to have only played it once out of 115 times

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Tales of Woe posted:

D.va pretty much counters an entire turret farm for 3 seconds, more than long enough to kill a few of them. Just hit Defense Matrix and hum the mario star power music as they all explode to your friends who can shoot in total safety.

Then redo it again when it recharges until you're through or until you've got an Ult you can boost in and set off to clear the lot of them.

If you get knocked out of the mech your light gun is still really good at sniping turrets, so no worries!

Fans fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 8, 2016

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

The Gate posted:

Mei's ult callout is terrible, for sure. It's a random phrase in Chinese that sounds like any number of the other random things she can say, then suddenly your team is frozen. Also, its not louder than normal voice lines, so it's super easy to miss in a fight. And the item itself makes almost no noise when you toss it out, until it activates and starts the freezer noise at which point you're already hosed unless you have a movement ability that will get you out.

I don't have this issue at all. Mei's ult is one I can always hear and as soon as I do I panic and run away. You can't tell exactly where it's going to land unless you're really paying attention, I'll give you that.

The only quiet ults for me are Widowmaker (though i do notice it if I'm close enough to her), Roadhog and Winston.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
There is a point in skill levels where Hanzo's ult actually becomes dangerous again, because they know everyone expects it to be fired directly through the choke/ at the payload, and will deliberately flank and fire it from another direction. If he stands behind one wall and fires it at someone immediately on the other side, they will often die before they have a chance to dodge it because the dragons appear basically on top of them. Add in the wolf skin making the first part of the callout really quiet and it actually becomes a threat.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Not trying to to be rude but if you die to Hanzo's ult any more than like 10% of the times it gets fired you're probably not paying enough attention.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
One time, I think at Route 66 (maybe it was Hollywood) defense, I was respawning and I heard RYUU WA GA "whatever I'm on my way WHAT THE gently caress WHY IS THE DRAGON HERE AT MY DOOR" then I died again and we lost.

It was very demoralizing.

My issue with Mei's ult is that I can always HEAR the callout but it feels like by the time I do I'm either hosed or was never in any danger to begin with. It's okay, I feel like it would be useless if it was very blatant.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I'm starting to think that mei's ult is just as obvious where she's gonna throw it as hanzo's ult is. gee, all my teammates are grouped up in one obvious location, DONG ZHU BUXU ZHOU welp goodbye team i'll be waaaay over here now

and then you pray you got out in time and headshot her dumb face as she tries to line up her war crimes

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Eonwe posted:

wow, thats crazy

kings row is one of my favorites id hate to have only played it once out of 115 times

meanwhile I've had to play temple of anubis about 20 times. I've heard of elo hell but is there also map rotation hell?

I think Dorado has become the one that i'm actively happy to see when it comes up, it's got a good balance of open and enclosed space throughout and I feel like I can play every hero on it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I use Mei's ult all the time, and I have no idea what her ult callout is when using it, let alone on the receiving end, and nor does anyone I throw it at apparently, because I've never seen anyone actually try and dodge it before the ground is already half frozen.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Also I can only hear Genji's ult line as USING THE KAIOKEN

this is not relevant to any ongoing discussion but I felt like I should share

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

NTRabbit posted:

I use Mei's ult all the time, and I have no idea what her ult callout is when using it, let alone on the receiving end, and nor does anyone I throw it at apparently, because I've never seen anyone actually try and dodge it before the ground is already half frozen.

Dòng zhù! Bù xǔ zǒu!

Just listen for her moon speak. For a friendly Ult she's got a few lines.

Freeze! Don't move! / Everyone, freeze! You're not going anywhere! / I'm lowering the temperature! / Blizzard's on the way!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Fans posted:

Dòng zhù! Bù xǔ zǒu!

Just listen for her moon speak. For a friendly Ult she's got a few lines.

Freeze! Don't move! / Everyone, freeze! You're not going anywhere! / I'm lowering the temperature! / Blizzard's on the way!

I've only heard "Freeze! Don't move!". Are the other lines on her legendary skins?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I want a mime skin for mccree so he doesn't say anything during high noon

talking in whispering or mumbling ultimates = OP (wolf hanzo, any of mei's)

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Slime posted:

I've only heard "Freeze! Don't move!". Are the other lines on her legendary skins?

Maybe! Or the internet is lying to me.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

DrSeRRoD posted:

I think I've never gotten more than one kill with his ult. Even one wall away, everyone scrambles so fast once I fire it. I've been trying to kill 4 for the achievement with over 5 hours of played time now without much luck. I can't wait to land it so I never have to play him again. Even if I instantly pick him, 1-2 people on the team still pick Hanzo/Widowmaker. I need to become friends with a good Zarya.

Will playing with AI give you achievements? I imagine some of these achievements are going to become down right impossible to achieve once the game is played enough and your ranking gets higher.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Fans posted:

Everyone, freeze! You're not going anywhere!

I'm now realising Mei needs a cop skin

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Slime posted:

i'm pretty sure that's her friendly callout. enemy mei says dong shoe bushu zo. don't think she has alternate lines for skins.

Kaiser Cortez
Sep 3, 2007

"Pavel, you wear the 'A' on your jersey. What does that mean to you?"
"A lot. So much that I put an 'A' on all my clothes. I wear an 'A' everywhere."
I've always associated the fact that it's like a whole Chinese sentence along with whatever the sound effect the ball thing makes when it activates.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

This guy got really really salty when I asked him when he last showered.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

FiftySeven posted:

This guy got really really salty when I asked him when he last showered.

Sounds like you hit the nail on the head.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Eonwe posted:

wow, thats crazy

I had a match on Gibraltar last night and realized it was the first time I've played it since release.

Rooms seem to disintegrate a lot more now than they did in the beta, so it's easier to end up with Anubis Anubis Anubis if you have to keep joining new rooms.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Ragequit posted:

Will playing with AI give you achievements? I imagine some of these achievements are going to become down right impossible to achieve once the game is played enough and your ranking gets higher.

No, only quick play and competitive. It's already really tough, although I find solo-queue gives me the best shot since sometimes, people are far less coordinated and don't call out ult locations. Trying to get some of these in a full group is tough because your opponents are likely far more coordinated and can call out ults. Having a window in every game also doesn't help since they can see you hiding somewhere.

E: Once Ranked is released, I think there will be a dip in difficulty where all or most of the good players will go play there and leave Quick Match to those messing around and just dying to pet the dragons.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My "stack" has an Anubis countdown, it usually takes 4 games for us to see the dreaded Anubis Offense and for my brother to get really mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Kerrrrrrr posted:

but she's Swiss

Oh my bad. Still funny