Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm about to start the B&W main quest Capture the castle and the game warned me that this is a point of no return and that some side-quests would be unavailable afterwards. What does this entail, exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
drat this wine war quest just keeps on going uh? Pretty cool though.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

Azazell0 posted:

I'm about to start the B&W main quest Capture the castle and the game warned me that this is a point of no return and that some side-quests would be unavailable afterwards. What does this entail, exactly?

It starts the sequence of endgame quests you have to finish - if you want them all, you make the actual branching choice a bit later. As far as quests affected, I gather only Guillaume's so finish it if you haven't.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really like the Aard freeze mutation. I tried out Euphoria for a while and it seemed really fiddly--if I fast traveled, it stopped counting my decoctions, so I had to meditate and re-use them every time--and while it let me kill things faster, it wasn't as dramatic as I expected. Aard freeze, though? Rad as hell, especially the whole "instant kill if the enemy is knocked down and frozen at the same time" part. It's almost certainly not as powerful as Euphoria, but it's more fun, and I'm not exactly struggling.

Anyone using other mutations and having fun with them?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Harrow posted:

I found the Cat Eyes mutation and explosive bolts to be a pretty hilarious combination.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Just when you thought you were safe?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-08-the-witcher-3s-gwent-set-to-be-a-standalone-game

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I can't wait to spend $4.99 to purchase booster decks because the default version only gets Redanian Soldiers and nothing but Redanian Soldiers.

Spies are restricted to Premium Members only.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

I just did an audible little girl squeal upon finding the dark souls bonfire at the end of fairy tale land. contains a pretty decent silver sword too.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I was enjoying this game until I got to Novigrad. There it's become go talk to this person, no go talk to this person, no this is the person you really need to talk to, go find and talk to these 5 random women, actually none of them are the right person either go talk to someone else. Does it pick up soon?

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

Harrow posted:

I really like the Aard freeze mutation. I tried out Euphoria for a while and it seemed really fiddly--if I fast traveled, it stopped counting my decoctions, so I had to meditate and re-use them every time--and while it let me kill things faster, it wasn't as dramatic as I expected. Aard freeze, though? Rad as hell, especially the whole "instant kill if the enemy is knocked down and frozen at the same time" part. It's almost certainly not as powerful as Euphoria, but it's more fun, and I'm not exactly struggling.

I've been using Euphoria for a while and I get why you think that the buff vanishes when you fast-travel, but it actually just seems to deactivate if you've been out of combat for a while, then re-activate when combat starts again.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Oh my god, I asked for this exactly several pages ago.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I was enjoying this game until I got to Novigrad. There it's become go talk to this person, no go talk to this person, no this is the person you really need to talk to, go find and talk to these 5 random women, actually none of them are the right person either go talk to someone else. Does it pick up soon?

Pick up the 'fast travel from anywhere' mod. It'll make Novigrad a lot more enjoyable.
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/324/

Just make sure you're outside of any quest specific area. There's one where you'll be fighting to get into someone's house in Oxenfurt in the Novigrad main quest, make sure you leave the house and courtyard completely before fast travelling.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Pick up the 'fast travel from anywhere' mod. It'll make Novigrad a lot more enjoyable.

Just make sure you're outside of any quest specific area. There's one where you'll be fighting to get into someone's house in Oxenfurt in the Novigrad main quest, make sure you leave the house and courtyard completely before fast travelling.

Make sure you save a lot, because this is exceptionally risky.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Has anyone ran across a better steel sword than Blave? I have some crafted recipes that do marginally better damage but for a sign build that one seems better.

As silver sword I use Aerondight, despite only having managed to get a 10 bonus going on. Fen'Aeth seems better stat-wise but I wouldn't want to give up the % damage bonus on Aerondight even though the base damage is lower.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Navy grad isn't that big, turn off the mini map and find your way around for a bit. That quest is designed to get you acquainted with the city but if you just use the mini map you'll be bored out of your skull and not learn your way around either.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How's the alternate Yrden sign these days? Is the damage worth an ability slot?

Jizz into Darkness posted:

I've been using Euphoria for a while and I get why you think that the buff vanishes when you fast-travel, but it actually just seems to deactivate if you've been out of combat for a while, then re-activate when combat starts again.

Ah, that would explain it.

Euphoria is definitely really strong, no doubt about that. I might switch back to it eventually, if I ever feel like what I need most is a raw power boost.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Harrow posted:

Not particularly. But its use for stopping arrows, shooting down flying enemies, and staggering everyone definitely is.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's dodgy to use in general, because a lot of quests and even non-quest-related scripted events are tied to entering/leaving specific areas.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Yah the novigrad portion kinda sucks. But don't worry because just about everything else in the game is great. If you get burned out on the main story, take a quick break, explore the countryside randomly, do some sidequests, search for places of power, etc.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Residual Toast posted:

Hm so in the new dlc I found a weird little thing. In the monster den north of Mont Crane Castle, there's a small pond, and above it is an illusory wall. However, I can't find a way to get up to it, and it seems like there's some dodgy invisible walls stopping me from going around up to it. It's also hard to search for online since it's just a monster den, and I forget what lorebook was inside it. There's also a weird altar thing in there, so is it possibly for a mission I haven't done yet?

I think that's an exit to an area you get into from that hanse to the south. It's a witcher set treasure hunt.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Is enemy level scaling bugged a bit? Very rarely I'll find enemies in Toussaint who are level 1 and 2. Also, it seems like some on-level enemies are still ridiculously easy.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 8, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

CRPG! :pseudo:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I appreciate the difference in slang in Toussaint. In the north, it's "plough this" and "plough that," but apparently everybody here is a bunch of diddlers.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

404notfound posted:

I appreciate the difference in slang in Toussaint. In the north, it's "plough this" and "plough that," but apparently everybody here is a bunch of diddlers.
Also bum-botchers.

"I'll diddle you with your own dingaling!" has to be one of the best combat taunts in any video game ever.

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

Residual Toast posted:

Hm so in the new dlc I found a weird little thing. In the monster den north of Mont Crane Castle, there's a small pond, and above it is an illusory wall. However, I can't find a way to get up to it, and it seems like there's some dodgy invisible walls stopping me from going around up to it. It's also hard to search for online since it's just a monster den, and I forget what lorebook was inside it. There's also a weird altar thing in there, so is it possibly for a mission I haven't done yet?

The other side of the illusory wall is reached during the treasure hunt for the griffin schematics. You arrive there coming from Mont Crane.

If you didn´t yet encounter any monsters in that cave, the altar and the note in front of it give you a hint as to which kind to expect.

ESDK fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 8, 2016

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
The statue building quest seems to have bugged out on me, the architect in the first group can't be talked to even after dealing with the bandits :(

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

I'm interested in seeing what this looks like. It was fun collecting Gwent cards, but the actual game wasn't all that fun or balanced. Looking forward to seeing a more complete version of the game.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Well, I bit the bullet and decided to start New Game Plus before I get into Blood and Wine. I already felt like I had gotten a bit out of touch with the characters for Hearts of Stone since I didn't feel particularly impacted by it and I lost track of all the stuff I was doing in my save. A fresh start feels kind of nice and I hope that the lure of Blood and Wine will make sure I get through the whole story again (I apparently poured 100+ hours into my original game). I still find myself listening to all the dialogue, which I guess speaks to how drat well written and acted they are.

Other than the decisions deciding Ciri's fate, any additional things I should be on the lookout for this playthrough? I got the Gwent card from the scholar in White Orchard this time (goddamn it).

edit: also any suggested mods?

The Hebug fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 8, 2016

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Harrow posted:

I have a sign focused build, so it might be stronger for me than the average, but its pretty good. Damage is nice to have against partially invincible (ie can't attack them from back) or just pain-in-the-rear end to hit enemies, but the stagger, and general utility is awesome.

I also decided to try the runeword that makes yrden circle follow glyph's target and its really awesome, and probably bugged. The new yrden circle seems to have massive slowdown going on, like pre-nerf levels of slowdown, boosted by insane sign intensity from sign build. Basically once someone is hit, they don't get to move until the circle runs out. (Or until they falldown dead :v:)

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
so how the gently caress do you play the skellige deck. because i've only managed to win thanks to cheating in an extra "Mysterious Elf" after some random dude in Toussaint played three of them.

Considering my normal playstyle is a comical storm of spies as Nilfgaard, skellige is not meshing terribly well for me.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Harrow posted:

I'm not sure how the damage scales at very high levels (I'm 51 on NG+) but each alt-Yrden bolt hits about as hard as my Igni. So it's probably really good damage per stamina, especially against single targets.

Mostly I like it for its versatility and crowd control, though. It's a fire-and-forget lightning turret which will stagger enemies, knock down fliers, kill arrows fired through it, and does decent damage. It's great in pretty much every fight, while imo the other signs tend to be a little more niche. Igni and alt-Yrden are good against almost everything.

The only drawback is it has a longish cast time, so you want to drop it at the start of a battle or give yourself a lot of space when casting it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Not particularly. But its use for stopping arrows, shooting down flying enemies, and staggering everyone definitely is.

Xarn posted:

I have a sign focused build, so it might be stronger for me than the average, but its pretty good. Damage is nice to have against partially invincible (ie can't attack them from back) or just pain-in-the-rear end to hit enemies, but the stagger, and general utility is awesome.

I also decided to try the runeword that makes yrden circle follow glyph's target and its really awesome, and probably bugged. The new yrden circle seems to have massive slowdown going on, like pre-nerf levels of slowdown, boosted by insane sign intensity from sign build. Basically once someone is hit, they don't get to move until the circle runs out. (Or until they falldown dead :v:)

Aha, the stagger would be nice. Something tells me I'll get more use out of that than Aard Sweep.

I don't have a heavy signs build, though. I'm sitting around 130-140% sign intensity thanks to the Grandmaster Wolf set and a handful of blue abilities and one greater blue mutagen. The build's a lot heavier on red skills than blue ones, but I'm mostly burning and knocking down/freezing things rather than relying on the signs' actual damage. I guess I'll try out alternate Yrden and see if its persistent stagger is better than Aard Sweep.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I love Aerondight but it's driving me crazy how often I finish combat with 9 charges. I don't think I've been able to upgrade it once because everything dies too fast once you get enough charges. :qq:

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
The Quen secondary kind of breaks the game for me; Run into enemies, bubble, heal and explode, kill downed enemies, dodge away, repeat.

Ferret
Oct 9, 2003
Bandits and Hans clearings are making me change out my armor runes for the Deflection runeword. Archers are my kryptonite.

For Mutations, the combat mutations are not crazy OP, but they are SUPER hilarious as I just chain finisher after finisher on these hapless bandits. Butcher of Blaviken indeed.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Azazell0 posted:

Has anyone ran across a better steel sword than Blave? I have some crafted recipes that do marginally better damage but for a sign build that one seems better.

As silver sword I use Aerondight, despite only having managed to get a 10 bonus going on. Fen'Aeth seems better stat-wise but I wouldn't want to give up the % damage bonus on Aerondight even though the base damage is lower.

If that is the sword you get from the gwent, I havn't found anything better either.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I skipped the Runewright stuff pretty much completely after dropping him lots of cash and learning the whole thing was really underwhelming. Did I miss out?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Azazell0 posted:

I skipped the Runewright stuff pretty much completely after dropping him lots of cash and learning the whole thing was really underwhelming. Did I miss out?

I think some of the Tier 3 weapon upgrades are very nice (I forget if Preservation or Severance is on that tier), but most of them are very underwhelming, yeah.

I'd recommend getting him up to Tier 2 just for the Balance rune, though. It converts all your equipped armor to a Medium set, which means you get the stamina regen and sign intensity bonuses of the Path of the Griffin mutation without having to walk around looking like a strip club's light fixture.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Oxxidation posted:

I think some of the Tier 3 weapon upgrades are very nice (I forget if Preservation or Severance is on that tier), but most of them are very underwhelming, yeah.

I'd recommend getting him up to Tier 2 just for the Balance rune, though. It converts all your equipped armor to a Medium set, which means you get the stamina regen and sign intensity bonuses of the Path of the Griffin mutation without having to walk around looking like a strip club's light fixture.

Are those runes ever really giving up 9 or so armor slots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Severance is really good if you use whirl, the automatic arrow deflection one saves you a few talent points, converting armor types is handy depending on your build. If you don't care about anything else infinite table/grindstone is beneficial for any build.

It's not like runes and glyphs are particularly powerful either, so you're not giving up much.