Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mordaedil posted:

A chaperone prevents you from walking into furniture or hitting walls or tables accidentally.

No it doesn't. All it does is make you realize your mistake a split second before you barrel through a plate glass window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Cojawfee posted:

No it doesn't. All it does is make you realize your mistake a split second before you barrel through a plate glass window.

He didn't say it prevents dives, he said it prevents walking into things unintentionally. And it really does. Chaperone is great and something like it is absolutely necessary for roomscale play, since you'll otherwise have no idea where the boundaries are.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I've hit my walls enough times to know that chaperone is completely useless aside from slow walking. It's not enough to prevent someone from punching a wall. Maybe if valve added in some logic to predict if a controller's current path will lead it outside of the chaperone. Either that or tell people to set their chaperone so they can't reach anything while their arm is extended and their head is at the chaperone.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Cojawfee posted:

I've hit my walls enough times to know that chaperone is completely useless aside from slow walking. It's not enough to prevent someone from punching a wall. Maybe if valve added in some logic to predict if a controller's current path will lead it outside of the chaperone. Either that or tell people to set their chaperone so they can't reach anything while their arm is extended and their head is at the chaperone.

Maybe you should set your bounds a bit smaller then, because I haven't had this experience at all. How long are your arms? Because my chaperon bounds reliable come up as soon as I get within arms reach of the boundaries. And I'm not exactly delicate with flailing my arms around as my dented controller and ceiling can attest.

Maybe it should have configurable arm lengths though, that I'll give you.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

GlyphGryph posted:

Maybe you should set your bounds a bit smaller then, because I haven't had this experience at all. How long are your arms? Because my chaperon bounds reliable come up as soon as I get within arms reach of the boundaries. And I'm not exactly delicate with flailing my arms around as my dented controller and ceiling can attest.

Maybe it should have configurable arm lengths though, that I'll give you.

You realise chaperone comes up when your head OR hands are near the boundary, right?

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
It's all how you configure chaperone.

People configure it so it touches a couch or goes over a couch and then they fall or bump into the couch... or they put it inches/a foot away from a TV and they punch the TV.
Can't you also set how sensitive the chaperone system is? I've heard the problem with setting it up for standing scale / the smallest configuration is that with arms extended you basically always hit chaperone bounds.

If I had a Vive and enough room I'd try to set up a big of a buffer as I could between my head touching the bounds and my arms extending to anything else.

Edit: in other news that I haven't seen posted yet...
All HTC Vives are shipping within 72 hours now and are supposed to be available at several retail locations now.
Oculus still hasn't fulfilled all preorders.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

the chaperone is extremely useful especially for demos, even if it can't save you from punching the wall when you set the bounds an inch from it

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'm happy with chaperone even with the rift; I know how close the red wirefreame is compared to things in the real world. It could get dicey if you are squeezing your play area in and have either objects inside it at floor level or a hard surface at the wall itself (instead of arms length farther out)

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

w00tazn posted:

It's all how you configure chaperone.

People configure it so it touches a couch or goes over a couch and then they fall or bump into the couch... or they put it inches/a foot away from a TV and they punch the TV.
Can't you also set how sensitive the chaperone system is? I've heard the problem with setting it up for standing scale / the smallest configuration is that with arms extended you basically always hit chaperone bounds.

If I had a Vive and enough room I'd try to set up a big of a buffer as I could between my head touching the bounds and my arms extending to anything else.

Edit: in other news that I haven't seen posted yet...
All HTC Vives are shipping within 72 hours now and are supposed to be available at several retail locations now.
Oculus still hasn't fulfilled all preorders.

Not all of them :colbert:

edit: okay, trolling HTC's twitter while I'm sitting around waiting for house closing poo poo to happen is my new favorite hobby

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 8, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

monkey posted:

You realise chaperone comes up when your head OR hands are near the boundary, right?

The first one doesn't really matter most of the time though, in my experience. If the bounds aren't already up, they aren't going to come up in time for me to process and prevent my hands from going out of bounds!

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

I'm lucky enough to have a great gaming space in my media room and an easy solution for a safe-zone sans chaperone: a rug!

Most of my friends have their shoes off when using my Rift and basically when they wonder how far they can wander in Farlands or in the Dreamscape I tell them they are safe as long as they stay on it. If you hit the wood floor then you're about to punch the television.

Also someone isn't a "shill" when they say how easily the Rift has been shown to demonstrate roomscale with extension cables. It's no more silly than the expensive mounts people are buying to position lighthouses and kind of the whole deal with enthusiast PC gaming experiences. Is it as accurate as the lighthouses currently? No, doesn't appear to be. Is it good enough - yes, it appears to be. But we're all guessing until the product comes out. Some of you goony loving goons need to chill out. Some of you post how you're "adults" but I have my doubts.

In other news...

House of the Dying Sun is pretty cool. However on the Rift I get a lot more ... stuttering or something than I have in other games (like Elite or Valkyrie). Is this a lack of optimization since it is early access or is it related to SteamVR and lack of that Rift SDK timewarp feature? I run below spec (i5-2500k @ 4GHz/GTX 970) so I'm curious if this will be more common as I adopt more SteamVR games.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
^^ I have a i5-2500k and a GTX 960 and I am planning on getting it. I will report back once I try it out and let you know if I have similar experiences. With the Vive, my 2500k has been a limiting factor for a fair number of games, so it might be a game that uses a lot of CPU.

Mordaedil posted:

A chaperone prevents you from walking into furniture or hitting walls or tables accidentally.

My point was that it doesn't matter if they have it now, Rift doesn't have motion controllers. Once it does, it will support chaperone in any games that support OpenVR, and Oculus can create their own chaperone system before then if they want to as well.

I think chaperone is great and agree that you need to set up a buffer between it and your walls/whatever. Sometimes I wish there was an option to set your ceiling height, but I'm not sure how valuable that would be since it might come on all the time since my head is less than 1 ft from my ceiling.

The front camera is nice, but I rarely use it, so I don't think it would be a dealbreaker for me if everything else was equivalent or better in a system that didn't have it.

BossTweed fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 8, 2016

spathi-wa
Sep 8, 2005
hu hu hu ^_^
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone mentioned this yet?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/674610728/rescuties-vr-save-the-day-with-your-htc-vive-oculu/description

A friend of mine made this, and I thought people here might be interested. The kickstarter is ending soon, and we're trying to get as much interest/exposure as possible right now. Playable demos are available on the kickstarter page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl4EML-12B8

Catch flying babies

Kiss falling babies

Cattes and dogges

Xtreme sports: baby flinging

Space babby:

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Do you have a mod where you skeet shoot falling babies?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

theBeaz posted:

House of the Dying Sun is pretty cool. However on the Rift I get a lot more ... stuttering or something than I have in other games (like Elite or Valkyrie). Is this a lack of optimization since it is early access or is it related to SteamVR and lack of that Rift SDK timewarp feature? I run below spec (i5-2500k @ 4GHz/GTX 970) so I'm curious if this will be more common as I adopt more SteamVR games.

I set the game to Medium quality and disabled anti-aliasing. I also turned off reprojection in case that was messing things up (as OVR does ATW automatically). The biggest thing, though, was turning off anti-aliasing.

The game still has stuttering moments, but it is better than it was before.

I haven't played any SteamVR content except for this so I don't know if it is a SteamVR+Rift problem or just a problem with Dying Sun.

spathi-wa
Sep 8, 2005
hu hu hu ^_^
Lipstick Apathy

r0ck0 posted:

Do you have a mod where you skeet shoot falling babies?

I don't think thats planned but you can swat them quite far

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

That looks really cute, I'm wondering how fun the gameplay is though. I'll check out the demo.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

theBeaz posted:

I'm lucky enough to have a great gaming space in my media room and an easy solution for a safe-zone sans chaperone: a rug!

This here. I have a 9' square space and a stylish 6'7" square Ikea rug centered in that space. It's perfect: you hit the rug and then you can reach safely from there. I'm considering turning off my always-on chaperone floor outline.

As a testament to immersion: I never even notice the boundary line playing Out of Ammo. Can't ignore the carpet, though.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I ordered my Rift on June 3rd and Im trying to gauge when exactly orders that late can expect to go through. It said August on the order page but my email said TBD.

Should I be expecting to wait till later than August? People who ordered 6 months ago arent getting theres till end of June so I cant imagine late orders like mine are going anywhere anytime soon.

Edit: reddits telling me I should expect it before August as the vast majority of pre-orders were made on launch and those are coming 2-3 weeks before peoples estimates. Hazzah!

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 8, 2016

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

AccountSupervisor posted:

I ordered my Rift on June 3rd and Im trying to gauge when exactly orders that late can expect to go through. It said August on the order page but my email said TBD.

Should I be expecting to wait till later than August? People who ordered 6 months ago arent getting theres till end of June so I cant imagine late orders like mine are going anywhere anytime soon.

Just order a vive they ship in 72hrs.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Woo - I feel like I've come full circle here. I was the OP of the original VR megathread from 5 years ago and now I'll have the Vive hitting my door by the middle of next week. Here's hoping it doesn't suck rear end, haha. I have an open living room in my condo that is perfect for this kind of thing - big open space and a big ol' TV for spectators to see what the VR person is seeing. I can't loving wait to watch the DOTA 2 Internationals in VR mode like a serious goon.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 8, 2016

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

BossTweed posted:

^^ I have a i5-2500k and a GTX 960 and I am planning on getting it. I will report back once I try it out and let you know if I have similar experiences. With the Vive, my 2500k has been a limiting factor for a fair number of games, so it might be a game that uses a lot of CPU.

Hmmm. That casts a dim light on my plan to use my non-OC'able i5-2500 with a 1070 in my VR PC until Kaby Lake/Skylake/Zen (lol) comes out.

Couple questions for the headset-havers:

Are the visual quality/legibility problems the Vive has in Elite also present in Euro Truck Sim?

And, has anyone here given the Future Pinball VR mod a try?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

theBeaz posted:

is it related to SteamVR and lack of that Rift SDK timewarp feature?
This is a widespread misconception; asynchronous timewarp is always on on the Rift, regardless of whether a game is using SteamVR or the Oculus SDK. It's done by the Oculus runtime, which doesn't care what SDK the game is using.

As for HotDS's performance, it's a one man Unity game compared to the hundred-strong teams making Valkyrie on UE4 and Elite on a custom engine, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's not as optimized. Because of the huge variety of hardware out there tuning performance in PC games is a massive undertaking; I'm sure the inevitable PSVR port will run much smoother.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
Pretty cool news about Valve releasing some level building tools for VR:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/8/11868324/valve-rolls-out-free-vr-creation-tool-for-new-workshop

Looks like they might be releasing the Source 2 Hammer level editor and some documentation to help people get stuff built and released on the Steam Workshop. Hope everyone is ready to enjoy VR reproductions of everyone's VR dens, aka their parent's basement.

quote:

Destinations has the same system requirements as Valve's VR game The Lab and supports any VR headset with motion controls or a gamepad through OpenVR. The software also supports the Steam controller.

quote:

"The Destinations Workshop Tools are the same Source 2 tools we use internally at Valve and that the Dota 2 community uses to create custom games," Bui said. "Creating a basic destination is pretty simple, but it can be a bit more involved to build a photogrammetry scene.

"We’ll have some tutorials to help people get started and that goes over some of the best practices we’ve discovered while building our own content. Actually publishing the destination to the Steam Workshop when a content creator is ready is only a few button clicks."

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Nalin posted:

I set the game to Medium quality and disabled anti-aliasing. I also turned off reprojection in case that was messing things up (as OVR does ATW automatically). The biggest thing, though, was turning off anti-aliasing.

The game still has stuttering moments, but it is better than it was before.

I haven't played any SteamVR content except for this so I don't know if it is a SteamVR+Rift problem or just a problem with Dying Sun.

Shouldn't be a Steam VR issue, I've played a bunch of stuff through Steam VR on Rift without stuttering (Subnautica and Solus Project for example, both of which are relatively graphic intensive). May just be poor optimization since it's a one man project. Is your system right around minimum specs?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Woo - I feel like I've come full circle here. I was the OP of the original VR megathread from 5 years ago and now I'll have the Vive hitting my door by the middle of next week. Here's hoping it doesn't suck rear end, haha. I have an open living room in my condo that is perfect for this kind of thing - big open space and a big ol' TV for spectators to see what the VR person is seeing. I can't loving wait to watch the DOTA 2 Internationals in VR mode like a serious goon.

Don't worry, it doesn't suck rear end and you are gonna love it. GET HYPED.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

StarkRavingMad posted:

Shouldn't be a Steam VR issue, I've played a bunch of stuff through Steam VR on Rift without stuttering (Subnautica and Solus Project for example, both of which are relatively graphic intensive). May just be poor optimization since it's a one man project. Is your system right around minimum specs?

Yeah. i5-3570k @ 4GHz, GTX 970 @ 1300MHz. Good to know it isn't SteamVR being a problem.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008
Just got out of an Iracing race and holy gently caress it was good. Racing against other people is a very different experience than just doing laps by yourself (duh). So much sweat!
The visuals are amazingly clear and I couldn't find any weird artifacts, though I need to see if i can up the AA a tiny bit. I have a homemade buttkicker lying in pieces because of poo poo soldering, but i need to get that fixed. I would buy simvibe (http://simxperience.com/en-us/products/simvibe/simvibesoftware.aspx) but it's loving 90 $. Someone tell me it's worth it.

One thing about VR is that i yell a lot more than i ever do on a normal monitor.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Flashbackjack posted:

Just got out of an Iracing race and holy gently caress it was good. Racing against other people is a very different experience than just doing laps by yourself (duh). So much sweat!
The visuals are amazingly clear and I couldn't find any weird artifacts, though I need to see if i can up the AA a tiny bit. I have a homemade buttkicker lying in pieces because of poo poo soldering, but i need to get that fixed. I would buy simvibe (http://simxperience.com/en-us/products/simvibe/simvibesoftware.aspx) but it's loving 90 $. Someone tell me it's worth it.

One thing about VR is that i yell a lot more than i ever do on a normal monitor.

I really really need to get iRacing. I don't know why I keep putting it off.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you're interested in iRacing, there is a goon league that does stuff. We're currently in a hiatus but we normally do the skip barber on short ovals and sometimes road courses. We've been experimenting with other cars as well. There's also goon racing in Assetto Corsa as well. Both groups race on Sundays.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

If you're interested in iRacing, there is a goon league that does stuff. We're currently in a hiatus but we normally do the skip barber on short ovals and sometimes road courses. We've been experimenting with other cars as well. There's also goon racing in Assetto Corsa as well. Both groups race on Sundays.

Yeah, I've been reading the sim racing thread. I got both P.Cars and A.C at the same time and have been messing around with Pcars more. I'll spend some time with Aseeto Corsa and race with you guys sometime soon. I also got my new Fanatec pedals in and they are pretty rad. Any of you guys who haven't tried racing or think you wouldn't like racing, buy a cheap wheel and try it in VR, it's amazing.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008

Poetic Justice posted:

I really really need to get iRacing. I don't know why I keep putting it off.

I did a race in a SCCA Spec Racer Ford on Charlotte motor speedway. Made it 12 laps out of 20 before getting kicked out because of too many spin outs. The SSCA is very challenging but fun to drive, you have to be real gentle. Didn't cause any accidents or kill any spectators, and somehow managed to end on 9th out of 18 (best of the worst) so im quite proud of that. Being able to peek out on the mirrors without moving your head helps a ton.

Cojawfee posted:

Thanks, i'll look into that. Im in europe though, so time might be an issue.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Poetic Justice posted:

Don't worry, it doesn't suck rear end and you are gonna love it. GET HYPED.

Hah, I figured. Thanks! I had a little taste owning the first Rift dev kit. Just the screen being better will blow my mind. Being able to actually move around will be nuts...

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Here is a free Story/Narrative Experience that just came out that seems kinda cool

http://store.steampowered.com/app/471630/

posted:

Rexodus: A VR Story Experience is based on the Dark Horse Graphic Novel Rexodus. This is a VR narrative experience set in a universe where dinosaurs didn't go extinct, they left Earth. Those dinosaurs, utilizing their own advanced technology, are traversing the galaxy.

Flashbackjack posted:

I did a race in a SCCA Spec Racer Ford on Charlotte motor speedway. Made it 12 laps out of 20 before getting kicked out because of too many spin outs. The SSCA is very challenging but fun to drive, you have to be real gentle. Didn't cause any accidents or kill any spectators, and somehow managed to end on 9th out of 18 (best of the worst) so im quite proud of that. Being able to peek out on the mirrors without moving your head helps a ton.

Sounds fun as poo poo and will tickle my OCD tendency hah.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

BossTweed posted:

Pretty cool news about Valve releasing some level building tools for VR:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/8/11868324/valve-rolls-out-free-vr-creation-tool-for-new-workshop

Looks like they might be releasing the Source 2 Hammer level editor and some documentation to help people get stuff built and released on the Steam Workshop. Hope everyone is ready to enjoy VR reproductions of everyone's VR dens, aka their parent's basement.

Here is some more info:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/453170/
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Destinations

First thing I want to try if I have time is to get the Dota 2 map open as a VR world to explore.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Got my Vive set up without much fuss but I can tell already I'm gonna drive myself half-mad tweaking all the fiddly parts to find the perfect room coverage with the sensors and the perfect fit of the headset. I still need to cover my windows so controller tracking can be a bit wonky sometimes, especially down near the floor when I was petting the robot dog thing in The Lab. The picture clarity was mostly good but would annoyingly go out of focus every time my facial muscles moved at all (smiling, for instance).

One things for certain is it's given me a taste for >60fps so I'll probably be buying a 1070/1080 and a 144hz monitor pretty soon.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Poetic Justice posted:

Here is a free Story/Narrative Experience that just came out that seems kinda cool

http://store.steampowered.com/app/471630/

I tried playing this and the audio was really weird, basically if I was looking directly at something I couldn't hear them, as if I was using a surround system with the center channel disconnected. Anyone else experiencing the same?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

That and/or make it sensitive to movement speed, calculating when it would need to warn you so you'd actually have time to react.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cockmaster posted:

That and/or make it sensitive to movement speed, calculating when it would need to warn you so you'd actually have time to react.

Pretty sure it already does this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe they could detect when you're sprinting at the wall and then just flash the screen to give you a seizure so you fall down and don't break your walls or windows.