Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

illestG posted:

This.

I won $5,000 on a $5 scratch off ticket the other day and thought I was lucky. Today, I avoided having my right forearm crushed by a piece of angle iron by a quarter of an inch. Currently counting my blessings.

You could still use your left hand for scratchers. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
It's all fun and games until all the protons in your body just happen to decide to decay all of the sudden

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

illestG posted:

This.

I won $5,000 on a $5 scratch off ticket the other day and thought I was lucky. Today, I avoided having my right forearm crushed by a piece of angle iron by a quarter of an inch. Currently counting my blessings.

Somewhere in Hollywood - the writers of Final Destination just got an idea for a new movie franchise.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Turning off the breaker is hard man. Guy was hard wiring in some new ballasts.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Darkman Fanpage posted:

so that's why they have the drains in the floor

....Yeah. Also for when people piss all over the floor.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

FatCow posted:

Turning off the breaker is hard man. Guy was hard wiring in some new ballasts.

Was the circuit for the lights 120, 208, or 240 volts?

Where I work any live work over 28V or so (including opening energized breaker panels without PPE) is pretty much forbidden. We do have systems where the arc flash levels can be very high.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

chitoryu12 posted:

Basically, it's kind of amazing to think about how lucky you are to reach the age you have. People die from falling out of bed or slipping in the shower every day. Driving to work in the United States is statistically incredibly dangerous in many areas, but nobody really gives the daily commute much thought. A sudden illness or brain aneurysm could kill you with no way to prevent it at any random time.

We're basically spending every moment of our lives narrowly avoiding death by the skin of our teeth.

hosed up health conditions can be the worst - depending on what you get and to what degree, you may not even know it. Stuff like HIV that'll lay dormant for years, then waste someone in weeks or months. Inflamed/ruptured appendix, even in the year 2016, can mess you up hardcore. Other things like predispositions to cancer or heart attacks and strokes that can literally take you out in seconds or minutes, at any time.

We're all playing dodgeball with the Reaper, eventually you get smacked...it's just being really, really careful about missing your nuts and face.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ewiley posted:

Some situations are worse than others... I just had LASIK and boy did I have to suppress the old fight or flight something fierce. I can't imagine they have as many accidents as the radiation sources, but it must happen I guess. I'm just not brave enough to Google LASIK accident.

They don't give out diazepam or something similar where you are? Stuff like that is crazy good for getting high for a short while (1 hour)very safely before sobering up nice and clear.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
No sorry they're out of diazepam so you just get phenazepam instead.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
They got you, pham.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Scoop, memo memo. Hot off the IRC:

quote:

<nyaa-phone> I just learned that cutting the power cable while it's on will fry the port
<nyaa-phone> Or a force shut off
<PXGentleman> Did you learn this the hard way? D:
<nyaa-phone> Yes
<nyaa-phone> Probably due to the metal scissor going through electrical wires
<nyaa-phone> Some firework spark ensured
<Theantero> uhh
<Theantero> so, WHY did you do that?
<nyaa-phone> Too lazy to cut the cable tie so i go for the old cable that will be discarded instead
<Sormus> I'm going to post this in the osha thread.
<nyaa-phone> You do that
<nyaa-phone> Didn't happen on the vga csble though

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Maybe this fits this thread too. An old house restoration, hold up barely by plaster and leftover rotten wood. The owner is restoring it and is sharing a somewhat sped up record of what they're doing. As in, you'll see some construction work but it's not in depth with every nitty bitty screw and such.

"I don't know what held this up for so long. Maybe the plaster...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYtI3id1TAQ

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Apparently my sister-in-law, who works retail, may have broken a toe after having some improperly stacked pallets fall on her foot. Naturally her manager tells her that this is not the store's fault.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

YF19pilot posted:

Apparently my sister-in-law, who works retail, may have broken a toe after having some improperly stacked pallets fall on her foot. Naturally her manager tells her that this is not the store's fault.

It's her fault for not unionizing :smuggo:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Phanatic posted:

Nah. They disposed of that stuff, with permission from the city, in accord with the laws of the time. The disposal site was lined and capped. They really didn't want the city to build there, and only agreed to the sale after the city threatened to condemn the land and take it from them anyway. Then the folks the city hired to build there decided to do things like puncture the lining to run horizontal pipes, and excavate the clay cap to use as fill dirt, letting water in and out. Hooker's only fault in this was in expecting their disclaimer of liability to hold up in court.

They can still go gently caress themselves.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Improbable Lobster posted:

They can still go gently caress themselves.
I assume this isn't the first Hooker you've had to tell to go gently caress themselves after you treated an obviously dirty Love Canal like a playground.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Dick Trauma posted:

I received radiation treatment following surgery for a tumor in my leg. I've always wondered how much radiation I was exposed to, not that I could've avoided it.

The first time the nurses cleared out before the rads started I looked back at the door as they swung it shut and realized it was like the one you'd find on a bank vault. And I was on the wrong side of it.

I still joke about hearing the old Windows error sound over the PA before one of my treatments. Turns out they had a Windows 98 machine in the control room that handled scheduling.

When I had heart surgery I asked the guys preparing the xray fluoroscopy what kind of dose I'd get. They responded "uh some number of Grays" and then I zonked out.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

oohhboy posted:

They don't give out diazepam or something similar where you are? Stuff like that is crazy good for getting high for a short while (1 hour)very safely before sobering up nice and clear.

Yeah I got a Xanax but it just made me a little dopey, you still gotta be able to focus your eye on a blurry dot, so basically sober. Nothing like when I got gassed during a tooth removal.

I'm just curious how much power those lasers really are capable of;
Iike turning your eye into a Cadberry egg in a hot car kinda accident.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't remember exactly what they gave me, I tried to remember but it does gently caress with you a little like that. It's like Weed, makes you laugh at a drop of the hat, but unlike Weed it makes you more "pliable" or "cooperative". Thinking about it more it might have been Lorazepam. Whatever it was, it was fantastic.

I wouldn't be surprised if the laser was in the mW or less. They are incredibly focused and fire for for a couple femtoseconds ie 10-15 seconds. Being so focused it doesn't need that much power to work. That said it might not boil your eye ball but it would certainly blast a very, very small hole through it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Three-Phase posted:

Was the circuit for the lights 120, 208, or 240 volts?

Where I work any live work over 28V or so (including opening energized breaker panels without PPE) is pretty much forbidden. We do have systems where the arc flash levels can be very high.

120v. The breaker is about 100ft down the wall in an unlocked room.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
The punchline is that the circuit was wires with multiple switches, right?

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

...The real estate agent may have lied about that Indian burial ground underneath your house.

This poo poo ain't funny. :mason:

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

FatCow posted:

120v. The breaker is about 100ft down the wall in an unlocked room.

poo poo, sometimes I'm too lazy to even turn off the light switch. It's me, I'm the OSHA violation.

Anything nice and juicy here (347V) has a ballast disconnect anyway.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

They missed a great opportunity for a :hfive:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
poo poo way to go.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

It says *right there on the sign* not to park in front.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

they should really wear life-jackets

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Would you want to survive falling into something like that though?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The last guy to die this way before him was strapped into his front loader, so presumably the front loader went into the poo poo. Imagine that feeling, trapped in the cabin, watching the poo poo water rapidly filling the cabin, thinking not like this...

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-dirt-dump-battery-20160602-story.html

quote:

A 32-year-old Sanford man was arrested Wednesday after allegedly burying his boss — Perry A. Byrd, 57, of Orlando — in dirt with a front-end loader and beating him into unconsciousness, a report said.

Erick A. Cox was arguing with Byrd at the construction site of the new Wal-Mart on U.S. Highway 17-92 in DeBary about 7:20 a.m. Wednesday when a witness said Cox dumped a load of dirt onto the site superintendent's head, according to a report.

The witness told Volusia County deputies that the dirt pinned the JEL Site Development, Inc. boss to the ground, so when Cox went to dig up another load, Byrd could not move. Cox then unloaded another pile of dirt onto Byrd, covering almost half of his body, according to a report.

"Please hurry, somebody come out here. He just hit him with a loader and is about to kill him," a witness told dispatchers in a 911 call. "The guy is trying to kill him on my job, please come out."

That's when Cox hopped out of the front-end loader, picked up a 6-foot aluminum level and started whacking his pinned boss in the head with it, according to a report.

Byrd was eventually knocked unconscious and the witness saw Cox "standing over [him] cussing and laughing about the situation," according to the report. Byrd suffered a "large" cut to the back of his head that required stitches.

The witness then hollered for his other coworkers to come help dig their boss out of the dirt, according to the report.

Cox told investigators a different story — one of verbal assaults and Cox as the victim.

Cox said when he got to work that morning at 6:30, he and Byrd began cussing at each other, according to the report.

When Cox climbed into the front-end loader and began moving dirt, he said Byrd continually yelled profanities at him, then threatened to beat him up, according to the report.

Cox said after Byrd swung a fist at him and spit in his face, Cox tried to leave. That's when Cox claimed Byrd threatened to "cut" his "head off" and reached into his pocket, according to what he told officials.

Byrd later ended up on the ground, where Cox claimed he accidentally buried Byrd's leg in dirt when he "bumped the bucket control-lever as he was reaching for the keys," according to the report.

Cox was booked into the Volusia County jail on a charge of aggravated battery, according to the report. He was released shortly after on a $5,000 bond.

JEL Site Development did not return a message.

Cox, whose alias is "Pork Chop" has a criminal history dotted with aggravated battery, domestic violence and battery convictions stemming back to 2003, according to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

YF19pilot posted:

See, there's a reason why her manager isn't a lawyer...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Imagined posted:

The last guy to die this way before him was strapped into his front loader, so presumably the front loader went into the poo poo. Imagine that feeling, trapped in the cabin, watching the poo poo water rapidly filling the cabin, thinking not like this...

I wonder if drowning in other people's poo poo is better or worse than drowning in your own poo poo. I mean, you're dead in both cases but people still have to make speeches at your funeral and think of something to write on your tombstone.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nice to see my end of Florida back in the news.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

This happened up the street from my house! I drive by where they are building that neighborhood walmart everyday. DeBary is a poo poo hole and I can't wait to move out of it.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
speaking of florida somebody got crushed by a bunch of pallets at a mushroom plant
http://m.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/florida-man-crushed-death-mushrooms/nrcWt/

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 8, 2016

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Darkman Fanpage posted:

speaking of florida somebody got crushed by a bunch of pallets at a mushroom http://m.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/florida-man-crushed-death-mushrooms/nrcWt/

Probably should have just stayed on the forklift right?

All the lifts I work with have the cages on top.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

C.M. Kruger posted:

Cox, whose alias is "Pork Chop" has a criminal history

Perfect in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Connor the Conure
Jun 4, 2016

Spoiled to all hell

But... that's CAT5 :psyduck: