Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Help Im Alive posted:

It'd be cool if there was an option for those characters to have all of their lines in their native language instead of just a couple

now this i can get behind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
you have to realize this guy also hates that magic the gathering cards exist in foreign languages, how dare non-english speakers play an international card game.

:frogout:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i'm cross posting this from the chill thread cause it deserves it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9nL6Umrsrg

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
Hi, y'all, another newbie here. I just started playing (PSN & Bnet), but after running around healing people as Mercy, it's consistently clear that the teams who win are the ones who freakin' kill Mercy. When I'm allowed to live, they end up doing double-duty. Of course, if my teammates run around spread all over the place and apparently trying to avoid my healing stream... I often give up trying to keep them alive and just switch to another hero.

Now I just need a group of teammates to conveniently die all in the same spot at the same time so I can unlock a new avatar. :v:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kerrrrrrr posted:

has mccree, can't chill out, because he's always on fire

vvv since you brought up league of legends imma let the dragon out of the bag on this snippet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH43zq88Z7E&t=3103s

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Playing Overwatch has made me realize how horribly dated a lot of the tech of League of Legends is. It feels so janky and clunky compared to Overwatch, the menu/client especially.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Kerrrrrrr posted:

it was MC Cree all along and we never got it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Vermain posted:

I have actual for real hearing problems where I occasionally have trouble processing/identifying words, especially across digital mediums, and Mei's Ice Wall sound and Blizzard sound are both immediately and readily identifiable to me. They have, as mentioned, a reverb sound effect, as well as the loud beeping of the Blizzard-bot that goes along with it. Please just buy some goddamn decent headphones.

Mei says something when she puts up an ice wall? I genuinely don't recall Mei ever saying anything during the battle, only her lines in spawn and manual calls, if she does have lines when using abilities they're way too soft to be heard over the battle.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I can tell when Mei does her ice wall because of the giant wall of ice

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Fun couple of pubbie matches:

First:

Then:

The Torbjorne on the Widow team ruined it of course. They tried to go all Lucio after that but my team wasn't up for it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

holy poo poo

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

NTRabbit posted:

Mei says something when she puts up an ice wall?

Yes. "Sorry, sorry, I'm sorry, sorry" when it's right on the spawn's exit during setup. Might be just me tho.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

NTRabbit posted:

Mei says something when she puts up an ice wall? I genuinely don't recall Mei ever saying anything during the battle, only her lines in spawn and manual calls, if she does have lines when using abilities they're way too soft to be heard over the battle.

Yeah, had no idea. Not that it matters much for the wall since it's instant, but yeah. Also, no, I've never heard the beeping from her thing she drops when using her ult, apparently, and that includes from the few times I've played as her. Never heard a drat thing. Basically, if anything, this is just reinforcing "poo poo isn't noticeable enough" and they should just make it louder.

I don't care that it's in Chinese or whatever, I've go no problem picking out Hanzo or Genji's callouts, it's literally just that Mei is super quiet in comparison to everyone except Widowmaker.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Teikanmi posted:

Playing Overwatch has made me realize how horribly dated a lot of the tech of League of Legends is. It feels so janky and clunky compared to Overwatch, the menu/client especially.

How did you not realize this at any other point in the last 5 years?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Again, I notice it perfectly fine; her voice is loud and clearly audible when she does throw out her ult, never mind the loud beeping and reverb effect applied to it. There's never been a single time playing this game after I heard her call out the first time that my eyes fell out of my head when her Blizzard appeared. Get better headphones.

Brosnan posted:

How did you not realize this at any other point in the last 5 years?

If League is the only online game you've been playing for a long time, switching to a game that wasn't coded by poorly-paid interns is probably going to be a bit of a shock.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Teikanmi posted:

Basically anything else is better than the LoL client.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Mortimer posted:

I want an option where the characters speak english. Yeah I know what a novelty it is to have AAA game characters say funny words in your native language but I don't speak chinese and don't really want to learn until they invade the US.

Instead of saying "alajsdflkj lkjalkdjfjsf" mei would say "IM MAKING THE GROUND COLD" and the ult would seem less bullshit

lol sorry about your broken brain I guess. all music must sound the same to you

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

As a Mandarin speaker

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

as someone who wears headphones and doesn't listen to music or other random bullshit while I play, all of the ult callouts are perfectly distinguishable and I can always tell if something is friendly or enemy, and even enemy widowmaker ults most of the time. I can even notice when friendly reinhardt's ult, even tho for some reason he doesn't have a friendly callout?? blizzard wtf seriously why

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Gate posted:

I don't care that it's in Chinese or whatever, I've go no problem picking out Hanzo or Genji's callouts, it's literally just that Mei is super quiet in comparison to everyone except Widowmaker.

I think they might be taking the quiet, polite Canadian thing a bit too far

Vermain posted:

Again, I notice it perfectly fine; her voice is loud and clearly audible when she does throw out her ult, never mind the loud beeping and reverb effect applied to it. There's never been a single time playing this game after I heard her call out the first time that my eyes fell out of my head when her Blizzard appeared. Get better headphones.

I have me some decent Audio Technica headphones, they aren't the problem. Mei just doesn't make any noise in the middle of battle, everything and everyone else overwhelms her.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 8, 2016

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

flashman posted:

As a Mandarin speaker

I've never spoken a word of Mandarin in my life

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

How about you learn some other languages you anglocentric gently caress

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Mortimer posted:

I want an option where the characters speak english. Yeah I know what a novelty it is to have AAA game characters say funny words in your native language but I don't speak chinese and don't really want to learn until they invade the US.

Instead of saying "alajsdflkj lkjalkdjfjsf" mei would say "IM MAKING THE GROUND COLD" and the ult would seem less bullshit
I remember Battlefield 2 had Russian and Chinese soldiers speak Russian and Chinese voice commands, which made it really frustrating to play a Chinese soldier.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

flashman posted:

How about you learn some other languages you anglocentric gently caress

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Ularg posted:

When does the daily reset happen when you can get the "First win of the day" bonus?

I've gotten mine around 8pm ET. I thought it followed accounts on a 22-24 hour period, but if it unlocks at the same time each day, it would be easier.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

That's pretty incredible. I hope more like that get made. I'd also love Heroes of the Storm "voice over songs."

Unrelated, did any of y'all who had early beta access happen to snap a high-res screenshot of Tracer's now-gone victory pose? Or did the 9x render setting not exist yet at that point? I'd like to print a poster for someone if I can source a large enough picture.

FatSamurai
Jul 7, 2004

Seethe, ye rolling clouds, gather thy stormborn might, and SMITE MINE ENEMY WITH THY UNFETTERED FURY!!!
I really wish they would get rid of Mei's slowdown, make it less severe, or have it be a separate setting on her weapon secondary to damage. When other heroes ambush you, you have a chance to get away or fight back, but Mei's freeze acts so fast whenever I get hit I just let go of my mouse and wait while she has her ten minutes to line up a headshot to kill me. I can deal with any other kills but being slowly buried in snow is just the worst.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
yeah how awful of blizzard to put in easily identifiable lines that are also recognizable for people who might know other languages, really bowing down to that chinese/german/japanese/french/australian/cockney holding company.

FatSamurai posted:

I really wish they would get rid of Mei's slowdown, make it less severe, or have it be a separate setting on her weapon secondary to damage. When other heroes ambush you, you have a chance to get away or fight back, but Mei's freeze acts so fast whenever I get hit I just let go of my mouse and wait while she has her ten minutes to line up a headshot to kill me. I can deal with any other kills but being slowly buried in snow is just the worst.

The solution to this is oddly enough to have a lucio on your team (if you don't already have one that might be a problem in and of itself) that knows how to use his crossfade button if you are not playing one of the many other heroes that can just easily get away on their own.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

FatSamurai posted:

Yes, nerf Mei because Mcree already does it better.*

*Literally

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
seriously though mei's slowdown was so poo poo in beta they had to buff it. if you are dying to mei's primary fire alone you are probably out of position.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Mei's primary fire does poo poo for damage and is not quick. She also has absolutely no movement abilities, if you're caught up close with her you can either out damage her or you're a long range character who shouldn't be close to her.

FatSamurai
Jul 7, 2004

Seethe, ye rolling clouds, gather thy stormborn might, and SMITE MINE ENEMY WITH THY UNFETTERED FURY!!!

Zoness posted:

The solution to this is oddly enough to have a lucio on your team (if you don't already have one that might be a problem in and of itself) that knows how to use his crossfade button if you are not playing one of the many other heroes that can just easily get away on their own.

Lucio is actually one of my most played, but sometimes I like to do other things and then get completely roadblocked.

edit: idk maybe I'm just not destined to kill Meis.

FatSamurai fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 8, 2016

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Zoness posted:

seriously though mei's slowdown was so poo poo in beta they had to buff it. if you are dying to mei's primary fire alone you are probably out of position.

yep. mei is a necessary and beautiful answer to rear end in a top hat non-tracer flankers. your genji can't solo my entire backline with impunity, sorry, sorry, I'm sorry, sorry :ohdear:

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Kerrrrrrr posted:

:cool:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Mei's primary can only freeze one at a time, so please stop being edgelords and play with your team.

This is in contrast to Mcree who can flash bang unlimited people in its radius and then proceed to kill two 200 HP Strikers/Healers with a single fan.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

I think they might be taking the quiet, polite Canadian thing a bit too far

I have me some decent Audio Technica headphones, they aren't the problem. Mei just doesn't make any noise in the middle of battle, everything and everyone else overwhelms her.

Maybe there's something wrong with your game, she yells loud and clear in mine. :confused: Like, there's nothing quiet about it at all, it's as loud as Hanzo or Pharah or anyone else.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
I don't get why mei and mcree can't both be annoying? Regardless of who's stronger.

My mei complaint is just the size of her ult combined with how fast the slow ramps up. If she hits the center of the point that whole thing is locked down for the next 5 seconds or however long it lasts. Sure d.va, Pharah, reaper, etc can clear a point with ults too, but hers just doesn't seem to have the same counterplay

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Mei is a pubstomper. She's very good at punishing uncoordinated teams and out of position players. Don't be either of those things.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
The point is that she mei be annoying but she's not so strong as to need nerfs, if mei were nerfed she would be outright unplayable and she's already not in a good place.

And yes her right click owns but someone who is consistently headshotting with unaided mei right clicks is probably still handicapping themselves by playing mei in that capacity.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Her kit as it stands is an absolute hot mess of balance. You can't really increase her damage or reduce her time-to-freeze more than they currently are without her feeling woefully oppressive, and more coordinated teams can largely circumvent her or just kill her from range. I suspect she's just going to be kept in the "mediocre but playable" zone for most of this game's life until (if) they do a pass on her kit.