Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I like Liberty because of the free worker and settler, it really helps early game expansion. And Order always seemed to have slightly better bonuses for me, but Freedom is great too. Autocracy is plain worst really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!
I like taking the Honor opener and burning barbs with my dromons to power down the Piety tree.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I've heard that Liberty is competitive and possibly even surpasses Tradition if you play the right way at the higher levels, but it's a bit of a debate in the community.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
people win games on deity doing everything

if you really can't decide just pick Poland

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Elias_Maluco posted:

I like Liberty because of the free worker and settler, it really helps early game expansion. And Order always seemed to have slightly better bonuses for me, but Freedom is great too. Autocracy is plain worst really.

Even if you don't go for a tradition build, it is almost always best to pick the tradition opener. The +3 Culture/turn pays for itself very quickly. And most of the successful Liberty builds I've ever seen are hybrids with other trees.

There is almost never a situation where not picking the Traditione opener is beneficial. And that feels wrong.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I've heard that Liberty is competitive and possibly even surpasses Tradition if you play the right way at the higher levels, but it's a bit of a debate in the community.

High level MP usually uses the nqmod where Liberty is much much better so I am not sure whether it is applicable.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

JVNO posted:

Even if you don't go for a tradition build, it is almost always best to pick the tradition opener. The +3 Culture/turn pays for itself very quickly. And most of the successful Liberty builds I've ever seen are hybrids with other trees.

There is almost never a situation where not picking the Traditione opener is beneficial. And that feels wrong.
Well, just consider it a tradition.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Liberty was great before they moved the free settler down a tier

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Green Man Gaming just sent out a 27% off code for games including Civ VI preorders.

Is there any reason I wouldn't want to hop on that?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The exchange rate

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Liberty as constructed needs a very specific set of circumstances to be superior to Tradition, not counting the usage of certain civs that benefit greatly from going Liberty. You need a lot of happiness and a lot of gold and a lot of natural growth to make it a superior option to Tradition.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Super Jay Mann posted:

Liberty as constructed needs a very specific set of circumstances to be superior to Tradition, not counting the usage of certain civs that benefit greatly from going Liberty. You need a lot of happiness and a lot of gold and a lot of natural growth to make it a superior option to Tradition.

I don't think is superior, but complementary. I usually take both before going for Rationalism.

Probably not optimal but works well for me

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well of Souls has compiled a list of known Eurekas for those who care:

Irrigation: Farm a Resource
Archery: Kill an enemy unit or barbarian with a Slinger
Writing: Meet another Civilization
Sailing: Found a city on the coast
Iron Working: Recruit three Spearmen
Military Tradition: Clear a Barbarian Outpost
Early Empire: Grow your civilization to at least 6 population
State Workforce: Build any district
Craftsmanship: Improve 3 tiles
Foreign Trade: Discover a second continent

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
ok that's just way too easy

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ehh. Yeah but you have to do it. Instead of it being automatic. If you want to be a recluse it can cost you culture it seems

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Those all also seem like pretty early game techs, where you don't have a whole lot of options. Iron Working is a bit further in and that looks like it may take some actual work (and lets militaristic civs a way to advance tech without forcing most of their civilization to be a bunch of nerds).

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Yeah, it would make sense if the later Eurekas became more and more difficult to chase. Also, if building a library now requires you to first build a dedicated research district, those early beakers might be really really slow to arrive.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
So if I spawn on a continent by myself, my entire dumbshit civilization won't be able to figure out how to write? Or am I misreading how Eurekas work?
Either war, that's probably the most :civ: thing I've read about this game.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Eureka moments are not required to learn a tech. They just give you a 50% bonus to it.

Under the new system, your island nation would probably be master sailors from Eureka moments.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 8, 2016

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Kumaton posted:

So if I spawn on a continent by myself, my entire dumbshit civilization won't be able to figure out how to write? Or am I misreading how Eurekas work?

Eurekas are circumstantial bonuses to researching certain Techs. I presume that Writing will allow you to open up diplomacy with other Civs, so meeting a foreign power means you've been given an incentive to research that tech faster.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Kumaton posted:

No you'll just miss out on a boost. You'll still get the tech, but at regular beaker cost (instead of half the cost). I'd hope they'll code it to prevent such situations though. Spawning alone on a continent makes a very boring game anyway.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kumaton posted:

As I understand it Eurekas are just a (one-time?) modest research boost, so it'll just take you a little longer.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Kumaton posted:

Eurekas give you half the beakers for the tech. You can still get writing, it will just take more time.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Declare war on a genocidal civ stuffing ethnic minorities in ovens for the nuclear power eureka tech

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That's obviously not right, as otherwise Britain would've gotten the bomb since the US didn't declare war on Germany.

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013
Here, to make up for dicing you, multiple times, have some nice, calm text.
About this religion talk, didnt CIV4 make religious building stop generating beakers after a certain age had been reached? I always though that was an elegant way of dealing with the whole thing.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I hope Eurekas are done right and lead to varied, balanced gameplay. If they're done wrong, we could end up with something like Civ V science following a predetermined script but instead of going "buy Research Labs, pop Great Scientists eight turns later" we'll be following a convoluted sequence to get every Eureka.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
from what it looks like, probably not, most eureka moments are going to come about regardless, with no real opportunity cost

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Phobophilia posted:

from what it looks like, probably not, most eureka moments are going to come about regardless, with no real opportunity cost

Kind of, but it does look like their existence will punish overly focused strategies.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Gabriel Pope posted:

Kind of, but it does look like their existence will punish overly focused strategies.

I think this may be the case for a couple of months, but they will balance the eureka requirements in a patch.

Another thing to consider is that, even though a eureka gives you 50% of the beakers for a tech, you may not hit that eureka until you are 60 - 70% done researching, thus only gaining a 40 - 50% bonus.

Yet another thing to consider is whether or not you can hit Eurekas for techs you are not currently researching.

There is too much we don't know yet, but I have the same concern as you right now. I think with how much Ed Beach doesn't want that to happen that any such thing will be patched out.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The goal of eurekas is to encourage you to do things based on the current situation instead of blindly following a build order. If they're too easy to get, then they get incorporated into the build order, but if they're too hard, then they'll almost always be ignored. It's a tricky thing to balance, so I agree with Crouton that they'll almost certainly get adjusted (probably many times) post-release.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
oh ffs, if you're getting 50% on a tech from an eureka, and you know you're going to activate one, then you stop researching at 50% and swap into a new tech

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Phobophilia posted:

oh ffs, if you're getting 50% on a tech from an eureka, and you know you're going to activate one, then you stop researching at 50% and swap into a new tech

I think you misunderstand. A Eureka bonus give you a 50% Bonus to research made on that tech. So once you've discovered another Civ, every 10 Beakers of research gives you 15 added to your total. It doesn't magically fill up half the bar.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

ProZocK posted:

About this religion talk, didnt CIV4 make religious building stop generating beakers after a certain age had been reached? I always though that was an elegant way of dealing with the whole thing.

The whole obsolete mechanic existed for a few things in civ 4 and it really wasn't great because it punished building certain things, but not others.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I wonder if they're going to bring back random events; I kinda liked those.

Or are Eurekas going to be the new random events? If so I hope that for any given tech, there is a pool of potential triggers and the game chooses one at the beginning of the game. It doesn't feel like a Eureka if you can plan for it.

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013
Here, to make up for dicing you, multiple times, have some nice, calm text.

RagnarokAngel posted:

The whole obsolete mechanic existed for a few things in civ 4 and it really wasn't great because it punished building certain things, but not others.

I am not a good player by any means so I may very well be completely wrong here, but didn't they keep generating culture even after getting obsolete on science? Its not like they became completely useless and you would build them anyway for the sweet research even knowing they would be obsolete beaker-wise later. It just felt cool to me when the march of technology started making stuff like castle walls and non scientific method research obsolete, kinda fits the whole humanity is progressing trough time vibe.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Trivia posted:

I wonder if they're going to bring back random events; I kinda liked those.

Or are Eurekas going to be the new random events? If so I hope that for any given tech, there is a pool of potential triggers and the game chooses one at the beginning of the game. It doesn't feel like a Eureka if you can plan for it.

Random events are only fun to me in games that are designed around random events, and random events aren't fun in games that you've spent time learning detailed rules for.

The random events in the Civilization series are the geography and who you are next to.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Plus they had actively annoying events like "tile improvements are destroyed" and "several buildings are destroyed" with no option to pay to mitigate the damage. Which I guess goes back to designing the game around random events - Civ 4 wasn't designed around your Towns or Aquaducts being randomly destroyed. And the positive events never seemed to compensate for the nuisance of bad events - I'm not sure whether or not they mechanically balanced out, but the random events felt bad on average.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Yeah, random events in Civ 4 felt like Baby's First Mod rather than a feature of the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

If I remember, Fall From Heaven 2 had some really good events, but they were more involved and I think included something resembling a choice of outcomes?

For all I know I'm thinking of King of Dragon Pass, which also had boss events.