Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

incoherent posted:

So the SE is a new, tiny dick partner who is virile?

Only because of steroid use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They replaced my phone thanks goons

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I went from an iPhone 6 to a SE and I am extremely happy with my decision. The 6 is a great phone and all, but I never felt fully comfortable with the huge 4.6" display and massive ergonomics. While the 5S/S 4" screen on a much smaller phone is right at home for me.

Besides, I have an iPad Air that I'm happy with for home use, so really, why do I need some huge phone when it sits on a table most of the time when I'm not out?

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

tofes posted:

I have a dim spot in the upper left corner of my 6S, I've been thinking about taking it in to see if they'll replace it. Is this a common issue on the 6/6S's?

Took my phone in and they replaced the screen under warranty, no complaints now.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

XBenedict posted:

The SE is fully excellent. I left Android for iOS primarily because I couldn't find a decent spec Android phone that it didn't take two hands to operate.

The difference between the 5S and SE is pretty broad. It was a good investment.

I can't love my SE enough after sizing down from a 6S+. One-handed typing and landscape camera shots is teh bomb, and it feels like a feather in the hand after using the 6S+.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Palladium posted:

I can't love my SE enough after sizing down from a 6S+. One-handed typing and landscape camera shots is teh bomb, and it feels like a feather in the hand after using the 6S+.

I went from a 6S to an SE, and I also love it, but I can't say the same about typing...while one-handed typing is indeed better, I straight up cannot type as accurately or quickly on it as I can on a bigger phone. GBoard and its pretty stellar gesture typing is helping, but it is still a sore spot. It is perfect in every other way though; I used (and still like Android), and was all about huge phones, jumping on the Nexus 6 when it came out, and convinced they were the best things ever. While they are great if you consume a lot of media, if you use your phone more casually...its hard to beat the SE's size

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
What's that site that lets you easily edit songs down into ringtones? I swear it was linked in one of these IYG Apple threads but I can't find it.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Scratch-O posted:

What's that site that lets you easily edit songs down into ringtones? I swear it was linked in one of these IYG Apple threads but I can't find it.

Audiko?

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

I think that's the one, thanks!

breaks
May 12, 2001

Anyone know what to do with an app that is stuck updating and dimmed out? The App Store update list shows it as updated around the time this started, it won't uninstall (nothing happens after requesting it), I just updated the OS and that didn't clear it up, and I tried signing out of the store, rebooting, and then signing back in also to no avail.

A big bonus would be if there's a solution that doesn't involve iTunes which I dislike and would rather not install, but if I have to...

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.

breaks posted:

Anyone know what to do with an app that is stuck updating and dimmed out? The App Store update list shows it as updated around the time this started, it won't uninstall (nothing happens after requesting it), I just updated the OS and that didn't clear it up, and I tried signing out of the store, rebooting, and then signing back in also to no avail.

A big bonus would be if there's a solution that doesn't involve iTunes which I dislike and would rather not install, but if I have to...

Had this problem for a long time, this finally worked for me: Go to Settings->General->Storage & iCloud Usage->Manage Storage. Tap the problem app then Delete App at the bottom.

breaks
May 12, 2001

That fixed it! Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
So this is a dumb question but I got an SE and sold my 6 to a friend. What do I need to do to get the phone transferred to him? Turn off Find my iPhone, reset everything and that's it?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

azzenco posted:

So this is a dumb question but I got an SE and sold my 6 to a friend. What do I need to do to get the phone transferred to him? Turn off Find my iPhone, reset everything and that's it?

Pretty much. If it's part of your apple support profile (Google for that phrase for a link), you can remove it from there too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aww man, using apple pay at walgreens prompts to enter a pin on the pad now. It's way less magic than it used to be. :qq:

Is this a walgreens specific thing or is it happening everywhere? I don't actually get to use apple pay all that often.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

Aww man, using apple pay at walgreens prompts to enter a pin on the pad now. It's way less magic than it used to be. :qq:

Is this a walgreens specific thing or is it happening everywhere? I don't actually get to use apple pay all that often.
What PIN would you even enter? I don't know a PIN for any of my credit cards since they're all chip+sig not chip+PIN, as far as I know.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I only have my debit card on my phone, so it's that PIN. It's a chip+pin card but at least two weeks ago I wasn't getting asked to enter a PIN when using apple pay.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

xzzy posted:

I only have my debit card on my phone, so it's that PIN. It's a chip+pin card but at least two weeks ago I wasn't getting asked to enter a PIN when using apple pay.

Might have exceeded the dollar value limit where no pin is required.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
When Kroger enabled their chip readers, they set it so that debit card users were required to enter their pins. Maybe Walgreens switched to something similar?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

cowofwar posted:

Might have exceeded the dollar value limit where no pin is required.

Also in the UK there's a security protocol that's supposed to kick in every x uses to ask for the PIN. Not sure if it applies to Apple Pay or just the cards as obviously AP has its own layer of security.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

xzzy posted:

Is it a debit card or a credit card that you're using? I've seen some places that now require use of a PIN for debit cards, and do not allow you to sign for it.

I know I used Apple Pay with my Amex at Walgreens yesterday and had no need for a PIN.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

kitten smoothie posted:

Is it a debit card or a credit card that you're using? I've seen some places that now require use of a PIN for debit cards, and do not allow you to sign for it.

I know I used Apple Pay with my Amex at Walgreens yesterday and had no need for a PIN.

The requirement of a signature or PIN AFAIK actually depends on a combination of the policies of your specific credit card, the card issuer, your bank, and the merchant's payment processor. And even then it differs by the amount of the purchase.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Nearly every credit card in the USA is chip and signature. Barclays is the only major one that has chip and pin options AFAICT.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Walgreens started asking for signature for my debit card (that has a chip) even when ran as credit. So it might be a Walgreens thing.

---

I think it's partly it being E3 time as well but I'm still managing to be excited about WWDC even though at this point any iOS change has to be be minor. If the rumored ability to unlock my mac with my phone comes though, I look forward to seeing how far away from my mac I can unlock the computer. I have a problem.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rick posted:

I think it's partly it being E3 time as well but I'm still managing to be excited about WWDC even though at this point any iOS change has to be be minor. If the rumored ability to unlock my mac with my phone comes though, I look forward to seeing how far away from my mac I can unlock the computer. I have a problem.

You can get an app that does this flawlessly called MacID, I've been using it for a year now and I love it. It's only like 2 or 3 bucks tops.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You can get an app that does this flawlessly called MacID, I've been using it for a year now and I love it. It's only like 2 or 3 bucks tops.

Oh cool, I might get that anyway.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really loving hate iTunes and I know like I sound like a dead record but it's asked me to join Apple Music like 3 times now and everytime i've said yes. Is this a common problem?

I also loving hate how if you want to make a album on Apple Music into a playlist it jumbles the playing order into a random non album order GRRRR

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 9, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

...Why would you make an album into a playlist instead of just playing the album?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Endless Mike posted:

...Why would you make an album into a playlist instead of just playing the album?

It makes it a little bit easier to manage the music that's downloaded on the phone vs. streaming. At least it does for me.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Stockholm Syndrome from being a Spotify user.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

xzzy posted:

Walgreens has always asked for my pin when I apple pay with my visa check card.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
I've never entered a PIN at Walgreens. One time I was asked to sign my name though, which is very confusing. America is really dumb when it comes to banking.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

MrBond posted:

Nearly every credit card in the USA is chip and signature. Barclays is the only major one that has chip and pin options AFAICT.

I have a Bank of America credit card that is Chip+PIN

Though it's a corporate card, so that might be different

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

status posted:

I've never entered a PIN at Walgreens. One time I was asked to sign my name though, which is very confusing. America is really dumb when it comes to banking.

If you're using a debit card, the merchant has a choice of two networks to route your transaction through. Visa or STAR, MasterCard or PULSE, etc. Look on the back of your card - some of them show the other network's logo. The merchant typically makes their CVM (cardholder verification method) choice based on price - if they are getting better pricing on PIN from STAR for example, that's what you'll see. If they're getting better pricing on Signature from MasterCard, that's what you'll see. Being forced to support two networks of massively different scale for any potential debit transaction creates a slowdown in terms of launching new tech, or even adopting old tech like Chip and PIN (since everyone has to agree on exactly how it's done, and if they don't, well, you can't go forward since both networks are legally mandated to be options for the merchant).

Thank the Durbin amendment (part of Dodd-Frank) for this.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Pissingintowind posted:

If you're using a debit card, the merchant has a choice of two networks to route your transaction through. Visa or STAR, MasterCard or PULSE, etc. Look on the back of your card - some of them show the other network's logo. The merchant typically makes their CVM (cardholder verification method) choice based on price - if they are getting better pricing on PIN from STAR for example, that's what you'll see. If they're getting better pricing on Signature from MasterCard, that's what you'll see. Being forced to support two networks of massively different scale for any potential debit transaction creates a slowdown in terms of launching new tech, or even adopting old tech like Chip and PIN (since everyone has to agree on exactly how it's done, and if they don't, well, you can't go forward since both networks are legally mandated to be options for the merchant).

Thank the Durbin amendment (part of Dodd-Frank) for this.

Can you explain how the Durbin amendment caused or affected the situation you're talking about? The amendment limits the fees paid by merchants to the CVMs right, how does that negatively impact anyone except the CVM banks? Plus the entire set of legislation applies only to debit cards.

Durbin is my senator and I interned for him. :)

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 9, 2016

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Michael Scott posted:

Can you explain how the Durbin amendment caused or affected the situation you're talking about? The amendment limits the fees paid by merchants to the CVMs right, how does that negatively impact anyone except the CVM banks? Plus the entire set of legislation applies only to debit cards.

Durbin is my senator and I interned for him. :)

The Durbin amendment didn't just limit interchange on debit, which I think is what you're saying. You're not using CVM correctly, so I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Interchange is the fee paid by the merchant's bank to the issuing bank. It gets wrapped into the fees that merchants pay their bank (which in total are called MDR, or merchant discount rate). I'm against any sort of price caps, since they generally don't achieve the goals they set out to achieve, but I can see how someone might think this is a good idea. With the Durbin price caps, what ended up happening was issuing banks got less money, but merchant banks didn't necessarily lower their pricing to smaller merchants, so profit was just shifted from bank to bank instead of helping merchants/consumers.

The Durbin amendment also introduced a requirement that a merchant must have a choice of network processing routing options on every debit transaction. Previously, when you were issued a debit card, it supported the Visa or MasterCard network only. Now, you get a Visa or MasterCard card with a third-party network on it as well. The merchant gets to choose which network it wants to use. This turned things like Apple Pay and the EMV migration into a mess. Apple Pay is reliant on a security technology called tokenization. The smaller networks didn't initially build support for tokenization, which is why you didn't see debit cards available in Apple Pay initially. For EMV, again, the smaller networks didn't have their own chip applications. Because other networks were legally required to be present on debit cards, and wouldn't agree to use Visa/MasterCard chip applications, EMV debit issuance was stalled for a while. The goal of the Durbin network choice rule was to introduce "competition" but it was done in a stupid, ham-fisted, anti-tech way. Competition would be smaller networks going out and winning their own issuance and having separate cards with separate features. Ironically, the combination of the interchange cap and routing choice requirement have created a world in which essentially all networks put their interchange rates at the pricing cap and who a merchant chooses is dictated by volume routing agreements.

Sorry for derail. I worked on the Apple Pay launch if anyone has any other payments questions.

PS: Please tell Senator Durbin to keep his nose out of things he doesn't understand - thanks :v:

Pissingintowind fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 9, 2016

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Pissingintowind posted:

Competition would be smaller networks going out and winning their own issuance and having separate cards with separate features.

PS: Please tell Senator Durbin to keep his nose out of things he doesn't understand - thanks :v:

This was a fascinating writeup for someone who is interested in payments as a technology but hasn't worked on it professionally (the amendment was before my time with Durbin). It's exactly what I wanted to help me understand, thank you!

I don't know that what you mentioned would be an ideal type of competition, either. Consumers don't care enough and banks wouldn't want to spend enough IMHO to create a truly competitive choice in types of debit cards. Even this minimal ineffective type of at-the-cap-price competition needed to be legislated in.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Michael Scott posted:

This was a fascinating writeup for someone who is interested in payments as a technology but hasn't worked on it professionally (the amendment was before my time with Durbin). It's exactly what I wanted to help me understand, thank you!

I don't know that what you mentioned would be an ideal type of competition, either. Consumers don't care enough and banks wouldn't want to spend enough IMHO to create a truly competitive choice in types of debit cards. Even this minimal ineffective type of at-the-cap-price competition needed to be legislated in.

That's where I disagree. If you leave the price caps and mandated "competition" out of it, prices will drop in the long run, technology innovation won't stagnate, and conflicts of interest won't be created (a senator in a Midwestern state happens to own one of the smaller debit networks).

Happy to chat more offline if you're interested. Also note that my views may not reflect the views of my employer(s), etc.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Pissingintowind posted:

That's where I disagree. If you leave the price caps and mandated "competition" out of it, prices will drop in the long run, technology innovation won't stagnate, and conflicts of interest won't be created (a senator in a Midwestern state happens to own one of the smaller debit networks).

Happy to chat more offline if you're interested. Also note that my views may not reflect the views of my employer(s), etc.

Sure definitely interested in learning more, if you don't mind sending an e-mail to michaelscottsa@gmail.com? It's possible that I should buy plat instead.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Pissingintowind posted:

Wait, but Congress would get even less done if they did this.