Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

http://ipolitics.ca/2016/06/08/scud-stud-arthur-kent-wins-defamation-suit-against-postmedia/

Former journalist awarded $200K in judgment over Don Martin election column

CALGARY – Former journalist Arthur Kent has won a lawsuit against Postmedia and one of its columnists over an unflattering article that called the one-time TV reporter a “Dud Scud.”

A judge has ruled that the media company and columnist Don Martin defamed Kent while he was running for a seat in the Alberta legislature in 2008.

“While the article did not accuse Mr. Kent of any illegal or immoral acts, it characterized him as an egotistical, politically naive, arrogant candidate whose campaign was in disarray,” Justice Jo’Anne Strekaf said in a written decision Wednesday.

She awarded Kent a total of $200,000 from the defendants.

“I find that Mr. Kent is entitled to significantly more than nominal damages. He suffered substantial distress and damage as a result of the defamatory factual statements in the article,” she said.

“The damage was also exacerbated by the exaggerations and sarcastic tone in the article, by aspects of Mr. Martin’s conduct and by the unfairness to Mr. Kent from Mr. Martin’s failure to provide him with an opportunity to respond prior to publication of the article.”

Martin declined to comment and referred calls to CTV, where Martin is now a host.

Kent, who got the nickname “Scud Stud” while reporting for NBC during the Persian Gulf war, was a star candidate for the Progressive Conservatives.

But he was on the record as disagreeing with some of the party’s policies.

Martin’s column, which used unnamed sources and ran in Postmedia’s Calgary Herald, painted Kent as an out-of-control egomaniac who had alienated party staff.

The Tories went on to win a majority in the election, but Kent lost his race.

Kent’s lawyer had argued at trial that the column used trumped-up language and did the bidding of Progressive Conservative party sources with an axe to grind.

“It was intended to mock and ridicule Arthur Kent by calling him a dud, a failure,” Kent Jesse told the judge.

A lawyer for Postmedia argued that Martin, as a columnist, was allowed to express his point of view and didn’t act maliciously in doing so.

“I didn’t hear any evidence about an agenda to harm anybody and there’s certainly no evidence Mr. Martin was a participant in any of it,” said Scott Watson.

“Alberta Conservatives have bestowed problem candidate Arthur Kent with a less flattering designation as he noisily blusters his way through their reeling election campaign — the Dud Scud,” Martin wrote.

Jesse argued that freedom of the press is a value Kent built his career on. “But with that freedom comes responsibility” to report in a balanced and accurate manner, the lawyer said.

He suggested Kent was simply exercising his own freedom of speech by voicing concerns about the party’s platform.

Watson replied that “not all individuals are treated the same” when it comes to defamation law.

Politicians, Watson said, are subject to more public scrutiny and a candidate that goes against the party line during a campaign — as Kent did — is bound to attract even more attention.

The trial also heard from Martin’s sources.

Lawyer Kristine Robidoux acknowledged that she sent Martin emails from Tory insiders complaining about Kent, but said she regretted doing that after seeing the article.

Party insider Alan Hallman testified he had no problem feeding Martin information, because he thought Kent had embarrassed the party.

Journalistic ethics experts testified for both sides. The two central figures also testified.

Kent called the article a bomb that cratered his campaign and has since prevented him from pursuing other political opportunities.

Martin testified that, while the article may have run on news pages, it was clearly an opinion piece based on extensive research.

Under cross-examination, Martin acknowledged that the line about Progressive Conservatives calling Kent the “Dud Scud” had come from only one source, whose name he couldn’t remember.

“I’d write it differently today,” Martin said.

Better hurry collecting that judgement before he becomes another name in a long list of creditors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

jm20 posted:

Better hurry collecting that judgement before he becomes another name in a long list of creditors.

As much as I hate the Post I have trouble celebrating a story about a journalist getting in trouble just because they published unflattering quotes and descriptions of a politician.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

jm20 posted:

You're delusional to think we will have a dedicated and operational S&R force. We will not be defending our country from China/Russia/US in any capacity so what will the point of the submarine force be exactly? Will we be torpedoing illegal fishing boats in our exclusive economic zone near Newfoundland? Help me understand

The only reason for any military equipment is to kill brown people in their mud huts

The world will never have a ground war again where we need all this poo poo.

We sell all of our natural resources at bargain bin prices, no need to go to war and steal it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Freeze posted:

Could you provide some of this evidence? MK 48 torpedos are in plentiful supply (so plentiful that even we have them) and they'll wreck the majority of surface ships with a single hit. If you want to do S&R in the arctic, you need ships that can handle the cold weather for long periods of time. If you want self-defence, you need subs. If you want both, you'll need a bit of both.

The fact that American carrier groups operate with near impunity is the big one. Anti-submarine capability is a thing, and incidentally our likely opponent in this arena is far more experienced at it than us anyway.

But who exactly do you think we're going to get into a shooting war in the Arctic with, where self defence is the actual objective? How do you think submarines will meaningfully contribute in that conflict? The question of Arctic Sovereignty is much more likely to be solved at the ICJ than in a hot war.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

what does this mean

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
'Just' 'a hole' 'water'
Juste un trou d'eau

Just a water hole, its a pun. Didn't you learn french at all :confused:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Trou d'eau is sinkhole

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Arcsquad12 posted:

Trou d'eau is sinkhole

That is one translation

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
"Juste un trou d'eau" means "just a water hole" and it is pronounced similarly to "Justin Trudeau".

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
Lame, I thought it would be some sick burn

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
I guess it doesn't matter though, we're all going to be consumed by the giant maw opening up under our city

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Funkdreamer posted:

Lame, I thought it would be some sick burn

Sweet French puns have nothing on CBC commentator sick burns like Justine Turdeau

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Guys I'm posting from the bottom of The Ottawa Sinkhole On Rideau™

I live in here now

This is my home

I'm jealous, how much are you paying? That place is huge!

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
They should move Ribfest to the sinkhole so we don't have to go to Sparks Street ever again

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Was that by the McDonald's? It looks like it

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

The fact that American carrier groups operate with near impunity is the big one. Anti-submarine capability is a thing, and incidentally our likely opponent in this arena is far more experienced at it than us anyway.

But who exactly do you think we're going to get into a shooting war in the Arctic with, where self defence is the actual objective? How do you think submarines will meaningfully contribute in that conflict? The question of Arctic Sovereignty is much more likely to be solved at the ICJ than in a hot war.

Yeah. Canada needs poo poo like coast guards. There's going to be cruise ships filled with dumb tourists, people dumping their poo poo into the water, hunters and poachers, and any fool that gets themselves caught in the ice (which will happen a lot).

I really don't see a need for military capability here. At most you need a gun if you're going to try and arrest someone belligerent.

Subs are dumb and not needed. Like fighter jets.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

jm20 posted:

Was that by the McDonald's? It looks like it

Near but not right next to it.

Although I'm sure some new "customers" will crawl up out of it.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

PittTheElder posted:

American carrier groups are designed around defense against subs (primarily) and aircraft (secondarily) , so that's not a great piece of evidence. I can go into more detail if you want, but you guys hate "Clancy chat." I'm not just pulling this stuff out of my rear end, dealing with naval weaponry and how they are deployed is actually my job. Subs are near impossible to detect, including ours (when they are functioning).

I don't think we'll have a shootout in the Arctic. You (or someone else) said they wanted a self defence force, for which subs are definitively the best option. The real answer, as i said in my first post, is that we need some sort of armed forces to pay our dues to the Americans.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Sack the navy, air force, reserve force, and 90% of NDHQ. Keep sending out CANSOFCOM (the only thing we're actually really good at on a global level, minus the manpower) out to do our little-brother contributions. Keep the land force to do stuff domestically and help out with humanitarian crises globally. Maybe throw in some decent helicopters somewhere. Spend the rest on free post-secondary.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Freeze posted:

American carrier groups are designed around defense against subs (primarily) and aircraft (secondarily) , so that's not a great piece of evidence. I can go into more detail if you want, but you guys hate "Clancy chat." I'm not just pulling this stuff out of my rear end, dealing with naval weaponry and how they are deployed is actually my job. Subs are near impossible to detect, including ours (when they are functioning).

I don't think we'll have a shootout in the Arctic. You (or someone else) said they wanted a self defence force, for which subs are definitively the best option. The real answer, as i said in my first post, is that we need some sort of armed forces to pay our dues to the Americans.

I really wish there was a national debate about the Canadian Forces. It's a topic of of great personal interest and of tremendous importance, but I don't really see anyone asking the fundamental questions about it that, in my view, need to be answered before Canada can have a cogent defence policy. In my view, this would start with: "What are the Canadian Forces for?" and proceed from there.

Now that the Cold War is largely over and the future of warfare between great powers is a question mark at best, this debate is long past due.

acumen posted:

Sack the navy, air force, reserve force, and 90% of NDHQ. Keep sending out CANSOFCOM (the only thing we're actually really good at on a global level, minus the manpower) out to do our little-brother contributions. Keep the land force to do stuff domestically and help out with humanitarian crises globally. Maybe throw in some decent helicopters somewhere. Spend the rest on free post-secondary.

I'm hardly an expert on the topic, but wouldn't you need at least a decently-large regular force to find the manpower and expertise necessary to field truly excellent special forces? It's always been my impression that you can't exactly recruit JTF2-quality personnel off the street.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 9, 2016

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

David Corbett posted:

I really wish there was a national debate about the Canadian Forces. It's a topic of of great personal interest and of tremendous importance, but I don't really see anyone asking the fundamental questions about it that, in my view, need to be answered before Canada can have a cogent defence policy. In my view, this would start with: "What are the Canadian Forces for?" and proceed from there.

Now that the Cold War is largely over and the future of warfare between great powers is a question mark at best, this debate is long past due.

It's a difficult question to really nail down, but I think the CAF's role is primarily to integrate with the US/NATO/UN on operations as needed. Arguably, we do minimally fulfill that role right now. You're right that nukes are going to keep the big powers from fighting it out, but there is still plenty of opportunity for proxy wars and nonsense of that nature.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

David Corbett posted:

I'm hardly an expert on the topic, but wouldn't you need at least a decently-large regular force to find the manpower and expertise necessary to field truly excellent special forces? It's always been my impression that you can't exactly recruit JTF2-quality personnel off the street.

They're predominantly drawn from the infantry and almost exclusively drawn from land force troops (which is why I said keep 'em).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Freeze posted:

It's a difficult question to really nail down, but I think the CAF's role is primarily to integrate with the US/NATO/UN on operations as needed. Arguably, we do minimally fulfill that role right now. You're right that nukes are going to keep the big powers from fighting it out, but there is still plenty of opportunity for proxy wars and nonsense of that nature.

It would be much better to design the CF specifically so that they can't integrate with US forces.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Near but not right next to it.

Although I'm sure some new "customers" will crawl up out of it.

Honestly, C.H.U.D.s would improve the clientele of the Rideau Street McDonald's.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Do we have people deployed to Iraq now? Did I miss something in the news? Speaking with my mom last night, she told me that my uncle (Canadian Army engineer) is over there now. She did say that she was reading between the lines, and that he would only say he was somewhere hot and sandy. Did she pull this out of thin air?

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

B33rChiller posted:

Do we have people deployed to Iraq now? Did I miss something in the news? Speaking with my mom last night, she told me that my uncle (Canadian Army engineer) is over there now. She did say that she was reading between the lines, and that he would only say he was somewhere hot and sandy. Did she pull this out of thin air?

How many hot and sandy places are there

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Canada definitely has people working with the Kurds in the north.

We know this because one was killed a few months ago.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Man is she going to be pissed when his Bahamas vacation shows up on Twitter.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

Is it too soon for a Fort Mac joke?

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Furnaceface posted:

*checks thread title*

No.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
There is a trend on facebook of photoshoping movie monsters into the shot of the sinkhole from the top of the chateaux Laurier.

It's quite entertaining so far

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Canada definitely has people working with the Kurds in the north.

We know this because one was killed a few months ago.
Hey thanks for that. I'd missed the news.

Furnaceface posted:

Nope, fire away!

Kafka Esq. posted:

Man is she going to be pissed when his Bahamas vacation shows up on Twitter.
This cracked me up. Good one.

P-Value Hack
Apr 4, 2016

acumen posted:

Eh, the opposite of what you're suggesting would probably be better. Sack the Regular Force, since when there's no actual deployments all they do is sit around and mop floors or go workout at the gym. A Reserve force is cheaper to maintain and then can be spooled up for actual deployments. Maybe keep Regular force in some kind of cadre system. Sadly all the rednecks in the Patricias will have to save up for their lift-kits with some other line of work where it's acceptable to act like douchebags and assholes around everyone you interact with

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Hey look at that, the Senate did it's job!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Franks Happy Place posted:

Hey look at that, the Senate did it's job!

And Andrew Coyne is Very Mad About It http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/andrew-coyne-new-senate-activism-undermines-the-very-principle-of-democracy

It goes without saying dont read the comments.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Ambrose isn't thrilled about it either, and she managed to take another dig at those dastardly "unelected judges" for being the sorts of people to overturn the will of Parliament (imposed by a man she's publicly denounced) just because they decided to do pass unconstitutional laws.

Far be it from me to tell an MP how government works, but isn't this a sign that the system's doing exactly what it ought to?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

flakeloaf posted:

Ambrose isn't thrilled about it either, and she managed to take another dig at those dastardly "unelected judges" for being the sorts of people to overturn the will of Parliament (imposed by a man she's publicly denounced) just because they decided to do pass unconstitutional laws.

Far be it from me to tell an MP how government works, but isn't this a sign that the system's doing exactly what it ought to?

The Senate is still a corrupt institution desperately in need of reform, but this is a textbook example of why a bicameral legislature is a Good Thing.

If the Senate's amendendments to make this bill actually Supreme Court compliant stick, the Senate probably just saved the Canadian taxpayer more money in constitutional challenge expenses than all the Duffies in the world can waste this year.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Can anyone shed light on to this? Conservative poo poo rag rebel medias' video showed up on my Facebook post. It's all about how Fort McMurray reconstruction constructs are being awarded to out of province contractors rather than residential ones. I'd rather not link that rats nest here but I can only seem to find one other article on it that actually supports what they are saying.

Does anyone have more information about this?

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
The Alberta NDPs response to everyone losing their jobs in Alberta was, why don't you just move lol.

So maybe they're just being good team players and awarding contracts to former residents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Furnaceface posted:

It goes without saying dont read the comments.

Lol the top rated one contained the line "Harper was right."

That's got a real nice ring to it... :godwin: