Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
At least once in a while, when their head is close to the corner, yes?

I mean, it's not like latency can't play a part, but those hitboxes are enough already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

IronicDongz posted:

At least once in a while, when their head is close to the corner, yes?

I mean, it's not like latency can't play a part, but those hitboxes are enough already.

I guess if you're some sort of sniping savant and can memorize the exact width of the invisible hitbox that extends maybe an inch past the physical model and not whiff, and be quick enough that you can hit it before the opposing player takes a single step further to the left then yes it might be an issue.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
everyones focusing on the critical hitbox but perhaps the regular hitbox is huge too? are there even deeper, darker secrets this game holds that we haven't yet exposed to its fullest???

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I didn't say it was an "issue", my point's just that it's possible it could happen regardless of latency.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The hitboxes are slightly larger than the character models because it's more fun to be forgiving to the shooter and hit people, than it is to not hit people. You might think you are simply too good at the game for this kind of inaccuracy to stand, but then I would also remind you of how you probably leapt to your death on Lijiang Tower three matches ago and blew yourself up with your own rockets.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

The hitboxes are slightly larger than the character models because it's more fun to be forgiving to the shooter and hit people, than it is to not hit people. You might think you are simply too good at the game for this kind of inaccuracy to stand, but then I would also remind you of how you probably leapt to your death on Lijiang Tower three matches ago and blew yourself up with your own rockets.

jokes on you i dont even get to play pharah on lijiang tower

and even then I only really like pharah for garden cheesing. control tower does not feel particularly good as pharah and night market feels neutral.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

exquisite tea posted:

It's completely bullshit and I'm going back to ARMA 3, where real gamers play.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
*goon kills 2 or 3 dudes by virtue of having huge critical hitboxes* yeah im good at this game

*same goon is killed by hanzo later due to big hit box* this is BULLSHIT

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I never get to play pharah because there's always a widow.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i think fps games should have character hitboxes correspond to the character models and vice versa

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Prav posted:

i think fps games should have character hitboxes correspond to the character models and vice versa

:hai: everyone in this game should be bobble head shaped

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Snazzy Frocks posted:

except dva, who now has no crit box, and bastion, who has been made into a headless robot

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

bighead mutator brawl when blizzard, when?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Prav posted:

This is literally never going to happen unless everyone's square-headed, so I guess the Minecraft FPS will be pure competitive gaming nirvana.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lady Naga posted:

This is literally never going to happen unless everyone's square-headed, so I guess the Minecraft FPS will be pure competitive gaming nirvana.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/224540/

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

pakman posted:

pharah is a pretty good counter to widow if you're smart.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I don't like competitive overwatch it is not fun to watch

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Noam Chomsky posted:

hm

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

:confused: why does everyone hate it? The hitboxes match the head! Unlike in Overwatch, where the projectile hitboxes are such a horrible problem that all projectile classes completely dominate the competitive scene and team comps are nothing but Hanzos and Pharahs.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

pakman posted:

Sometimes the Widow is bad and you can crush her with Pharah.

Noam Chomsky posted:

I honestly think it has infinitely more to do with whether the Widow can hit things

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Noam Chomsky posted:

Overwatch: Try countering Widowmaker as Pharah

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Noam Chomsky posted:

i prefer countering widow with roadhog or torbjorn

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I counter widow with a better, cooler widow (me)

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I generally counter her with an impassioned speech about respecting yourself, and your sexuality.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
The problem with countering Widow as Widow is that you two are basically playing your own tedious minigame while the rest of the team has all the fun.

I hate sniper vs sniper battles.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i counter widowmaker by running up to her, giving her a big hug and letting her die to my total mayhem grenades

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Noam Chomsky posted:

lmao

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Thoughtless posted:

The problem with countering Widow as Widow is that you two are basically playing your own tedious minigame while the rest of the team has all the fun.

I hate sniper vs sniper battles.

no the problem is whichever team wins that mini-game gets to play the yoshi's island end of level theme really loud and go on a 30 second rampage

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
lol if you don't think Hanzo's hitboxes are out of control, double lol if you think it's a fractional difference from where it likely should be

triple mega lol if you think Hanzo's absence from comp play justifies insanely bad hitboxes

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

guts and bolts posted:

lol if you don't think Hanzo's hitboxes are out of control, double lol if you think it's a fractional difference from where it likely should be

triple mega lol if you think Hanzo's absence from comp play justifies insanely bad hitboxes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhZHwrRyUZY

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

guts and bolts posted:

You must be a very jolly fellow!

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Countblanc posted:

no the problem is whichever team wins that mini-game gets to play the yoshi's island end of level theme really loud and go on a 30 second rampage

this is an accurate and also useful post, as that is the perfect music to play in my head when I kill an enemy Widow as Widow and am now free to click on dudes liberally

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
hanzo is only out of comp play because his ult is so bad and widow's is so good

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Countblanc posted:

genuine lol

Noam Chomsky posted:

sarcastic, ironic lol bc this is the dumbest poo poo I've used my eyes to read

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Snazzy Frocks posted:

no dude hanzo is only out of comp play because everyone is loving tired of having to run away from people screaming at them in Japanese

RYUUJIN NO KEN WO KURAE

RYUU GA WAGA TEKI WO KURAU

forever and ever Amen

Noam Chomsky posted:

pharah is a pretty good counter to widow if widow is a double amputee.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

If the hitboxes were so terrible as to require immediate fixing it wouldn't really matter what his ult is considering he could just delete the entire enemy team way more often than Widow could.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I want to think that part about ults was sarcasm because lmao at hanzos kit.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Lady Naga posted:

If the hitboxes were so terrible as to require immediate fixing it wouldn't really matter what his ult is considering he could just delete the entire enemy team way more often than Widow could.

"because this one thing is more broken, the other thing is not broken" is precisely why Tracer will be making GBS threads all over you for the next two to three months if/when McCree and Widowmaker go away

hope this helps you in your future endeavors

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
lol if u lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

guts and bolts posted:

"because this one thing is more broken, the other thing is not broken" is precisely why Tracer will be making GBS threads all over you for the next two to three months if/when McCree and Widowmaker go away

hope this helps you in your future endeavors

Oh well I never realized it's that simple. If something is good; it's broken. Thanks for clearing that up.

Perfect timing too, there's a new Planet Overwatch article.