Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Welcome to the glorious future of last year

https://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Do not turn off power to car during update.

I look forward to hitting the power button on my newly delivered electric car and being greeted with a 6gb system update required before I can play forza go for a drive.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

jamal posted:

And that works how, exactly?

I would LOVE to see the proof on this, ignoring the whole "void your warranty" nonsense.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

jamal posted:

And that works how, exactly?

You get into an accident and OnStar knows to send you help right? Same network. Famously calling John Hennesy at the drag strip after a super hard launch to make sure everyone was alright. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8As1zshWxn0

If your talking about how your car knows you use the wrong oil, it uses cam phasers oil temp and pressure sensors and others to read how the engine is running. Readings with the wrong oil will be different than readings with the correct oil.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 8, 2016

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like they'd have to prove those sensors are working correctly and were calibrated for the life of the vehicle.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but I have some serious doubts as to the legal ground that stands on.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Bovril Delight posted:

I would LOVE to see the proof on this, ignoring the whole "void your warranty" nonsense.

https://www.onstar.com/us/en/services/vehiclemanager.html

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I said that manufacturers aren't actually doing OTA ECU updates and then you posted a loving Chrysler (lol) getting hacked by some nerds.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

fyodor posted:

I said that manufacturers aren't actually doing OTA ECU updates and then you posted a loving Chrysler (lol) getting hacked by some nerds.

Yeah, but you said

fyodor posted:

Yea but we were talking about ECU updates and you said "modern ones are done through wifi or whatever network without you even knowing about it on the fly as you drive."

:tinfoil:

As if it couldn't be done. So far Tesla is the only company doing ECU's, but other companies do just about every other form of software update OTA through companion apps, Onstar, or onboard wifi hotspots

http://www.oesa.org/Publications/OESA-News/August-2015/ver-the-Air-Updates-to-Become-Commonplace-in-Vehicles.html

E: meaning that the car would have to be on for them to receive the signal from the phone apps or built in receivers, so it might end up being "on the fly as you drive"

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 8, 2016

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Memento posted:

I'm 6'1" and an NA MX-5 fits me like it was specifically designed to conform to my frame, without a single inch of wasted space. The only issue is the limited amount of room with the pedals, but as long as I'm not wearing boots I can drive one perfectly fine.

Weird. I end up with my knees between the dash and the steering wheel, and staring straight at the top of the windshield header.

e: NC is tolerable. Haven't driven an ND yet.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah that's not going to be able to tell whether you're using the recommended brand of oil or not. That's just a standard oil life indicator system. Lots of cars have those now; it feeds the RPM, temperature, running time, engine load and maybe oil pressure into an algorithm that guesses when the oil should be changed.

Even an oil-analysis place would have trouble telling what brand of oil you were using after it's been pumping around inside the engine collecting contaminants for 5000 miles.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Darchangel posted:

Weird. I end up with my knees between the dash and the steering wheel, and staring straight at the top of the windshield header.

e: NC is tolerable. Haven't driven an ND yet.

The major determinant of being able to fit in cars besides your legs is your rear end.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah that's not going to be able to tell whether you're using the recommended brand of oil or not. That's just a standard oil life indicator system. Lots of cars have those now; it feeds the RPM, temperature, running time, engine load and maybe oil pressure into an algorithm that guesses when the oil should be changed.

Even an oil-analysis place would have trouble telling what brand of oil you were using after it's been pumping around inside the engine collecting contaminants for 5000 miles.

Maybe not if your using Dexos or not but deff will tell the difference between 0w20 and 10w-40

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Preoptopus posted:

Maybe not if your using Dexos or not but deff will tell the difference between 0w20 and 10w-40

OK? If you're using the wrong goddamn viscosity oil in your engine I'd void the warranty too, depending on how far off it was from original spec.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, like, the oil weight spec isn't a suggestion, the bearings don't like when you use the wrong stuff. Higher viscosity means harder to pump through engines not designed for it, which can mean less oil flow to where it's needed.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, even if your gauge reads higher with thicker oil, remember the gauge isn't measuring at the bearings, usually somewhere in the supply passages to them. On the 4.0L it's like, right at the output of the filter basically IIRC. on EJ engines it is at the front of an oil galley on the passenger block half. If the oil is so viscous that all that pressure is used trying to pump peanut butter through tiny oil passages, the poo poo at the end of the longest oil supply lines is going to get less oil than it did.

Oiling is a delicate balancing act between getting enough flow to get oil everywhere and cool the bearings (bearings are by nature far from water jackets and both run hotter than coolant cooled areas) - double digit percentages of your heat load is actually removed from some areas of the engine by oil, not coolant - and keeping enough pressure in all the bearings to prevent metal on metal contact.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kastein posted:

Yeah, even if your gauge reads higher with thicker oil, remember the gauge isn't measuring at the bearings, usually somewhere in the supply passages to them. On the 4.0L it's like, right at the output of the filter basically IIRC. on EJ engines it is at the front of an oil galley on the passenger block half. If the oil is so viscous that all that pressure is used trying to pump peanut butter through tiny oil passages, the poo poo at the end of the longest oil supply lines is going to get less oil than it did.

On properly designed engines it's in the cylinder head as far from the pump as can be :colbert:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Slavvy posted:

On properly designed engines it's in the cylinder head as far from the pump as can be :colbert:

Thanks also for your inclusive list of engines designed properly, instead of by financial spreadsheet.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
You can't even tell where the Prius ends and the terrible Baja starts.
Virtually seamless, very skilled work.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
LOL if your shop agreed to align that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wonder if the creator is all "yep, that looks exactly how I imagined it would.. it's perfect."

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Preoptopus posted:

LOL if your shop agreed to align that.

Probably the only loving rack it would fit on.

Just like the duallys that want their $15 oil change.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Slavvy posted:

While I agree that sometimes doesn't happen, unfortunately.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I'm far too amused at how much taller the Prius is versus the Baja.
Wonder how much the add-on affects the gas mileage?

kastein posted:

While I agree that sometimes doesn't happen, unfortunately.

The oil pressure sender on my Olds V8 is at the front top of the block, just behind the water pump, presumably in the cam's oil passage. The oil pump is at the rear in the traditional GM location.
As I recall, the issue with the Olds oiling system is that it moves too much oil, and the trick is getting it all back down to the pan from the heads/lifter valley to prevent starving the pump. Some folks do that by restricting the oil flow to the top end.

My Buick V6, on the other hand, had the oil pressure sender right by the (external) oil pump.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 9, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

There is also a black one. And that wasn't a respray because the black one has only 2 doors.

Jalopnik had a write up on the black one. Dude owns a junkyard specializing in priuii, wanted a small pickup because he missed his el camino, got a heavily rear ended prius in and well. . . .

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

nm posted:

priuii

Dude,

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Darchangel posted:

I'm far too amused at how much taller the Prius is versus the Baja.
Wonder how much the add-on affects the gas mileage?

The oil pressure sender on my Olds V8 is at the front top of the block, just behind the water pump, presumably in the cam's oil passage. The oil pump is at the rear in the traditional GM location.
As I recall, the issue with the Olds oiling system is that it moves too much oil, and the trick is getting it all back down to the pan from the heads/lifter valley to prevent starving the pump. Some folks do that by restricting the oil flow to the top end.

My Buick V6, on the other hand, had the oil pressure sender right by the (external) oil pump.

You are correct especially when under hard breaking after having been up on the throttle. Usually exasperated if you are low on oil. Larger oils pans greatly help.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Priddle.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Prioosees

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Prions.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Don't be a pendant.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Prosciutto

Evil the Cat
Oct 18, 2001

make that shit sound like rock music!

local Trump opposition AI

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bless you.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291787514817

quote:

the turbo blew up on the way home resulting in a cloud of white smoke that looked like one of those vaping twats who stands outside Wetherspoons

quote:

I can not be seen driving this car, I have a reputation as a geezer to maintain, but actually, I physically can't drive this car, I look like Donkey Kong from Mario Kart. I'm worried that if I go to sit in it.. that it might actually just disappear up my arse crack never to be seen again.

quote:

if it's not gone in 2 weeks, I am going to abandon it the same way as I was abandoned because apparently some little muscley cross fit wanker with a goaty is now smashing my ex.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Urgh, my girlfriend's aunt is staying with us for the weekend and at one point she was complaining about her car, a 5 or 6 year old RAV4.

Apparently she had a tire blow out recently, and then the tire shop refused to replace only the one tire because all four of them were so bald. She thought that was outrageous. And she lives in Denver where they get real weather and seasons.

And then she was also pissed that her 6 year old car needed a new battery.

These are the people we share the road with. I know she's not unique or even the worst, but uugghhhh. Routine maintenance, what is that?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It would be nice if more areas had vehicle inspections more often that actually had some teeth, get those jalopies off the road or at least into a garage to be serviced. But I don't know how you do that without making life even more difficult for poor people.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

xzzy posted:

It would be nice if more areas had vehicle inspections more often that actually had some teeth, get those jalopies off the road or at least into a garage to be serviced. But I don't know how you do that without making life even more difficult for poor people.

Use the inspection fees to build an efficient public transportation systHAHAHA. Sorry, couldn't finish that sentence.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

xzzy posted:

The annual MOT here in the UK is mandated to not cost more than £55, and in reality most places charge £40, or even less (e.g. deals if you have the car serviced at the same time). In my experience they're generally pretty fair with what they'll fail you on.

As long as a mandatory safety inspection remains a safety inspection, and has a reasonably standard that must be met, it's fine, even if it causes people to :qq: that they can't afford to replace literally-on-the-metal brake pads or bald tyres. Your net worth does not justify endangering other road users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't mind inspections, but emissions testing? gently caress off.