Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

You mean "gently caress Uber" surely?

Don't care if it's convenient to people who hate cabs (or live in red areas with lovely infrastructure) Uber sucks and I want to see them and the rest of the parasite economy (AirBnB especially) burned to the loving ground.

If it's not the former then I'm impressed with their mastery of the latter.

This just keeps getting better. Please take a pot shot at the Terminator, Donald, please. :munch:

I like Uber and I like that it makes lots of people really really mad that I don't want to die in the piece of poo poo taxis here in DC or get ripped off constantly.

I also like being contrarian in USPol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cerebral Bore posted:

Actually it was 88.

What's the criteria we're using, because Dukakis won like 9 or so states, Mondale won MN.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Utah is a pretty weird place I guess.

If you had to vote today in a matchup between Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump and Gary Johnson, who would you vote for?

http://gravismarketing.com/polling-and-market-research/current-utah-polling/

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

What's the criteria we're using, because Dukakis won like 9 or so states, Mondale won MN.

1788, to be precise.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Grognan posted:

Staff the NLRB I guess.

Doesn't that require Republicans to play along?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

axeil posted:

I like Uber and I like that it makes lots of people really really mad that I don't want to die in the piece of poo poo taxis here in DC or get ripped off constantly.

Uber is a great service, that really should be forced to treat it's drivers better.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Hillary is more likely to get 400 electoral votes than Trump is to get 270.

Think about that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Oh my god Utah might actually fall to a third party. Holy poo poo.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

What can she do that will expand union membership?

Or the SSA for that matter.

Even staffing the NLRB requires Senate confirmation for critical positions...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cerebral Bore posted:

1788, to be precise.

Oh yer a cheeky one innit

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Dexo posted:

Uber is a great service, that really should be forced to treat it's drivers better.

Agreed.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dexo posted:

Oh my god Utah might actually fall to a third party. Holy poo poo.

Wouldn't be a Clinton election without a third party spoiler.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Also, 1936 was a larger margin of victory than 1984, but FDR has 2 less EV becuase Hawaii and Alaska didn't exist yet.

Landon had 8 EV

FDR had 61% of the popular vote

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dexo posted:

Here in Austin after we "Kicked out" Uber and Lyft, we had six new ridesharing companies in a month, all of whom are more than happy to meet city requirements.

I doubt they're as good as Uber or Lyft yet (or ever) but it's interesting that Uber and Lyft were actually acting as a barrier to competition and innovation while pretending that's all they cared about.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

zoux posted:

Here in Austin after we "Kicked out" Uber and Lyft, we had six new ridesharing companies in a month, all of whom are more than happy to meet city requirements.

I doubt they're as good as Uber or Lyft yet (or ever) but it's interesting that Uber and Lyft were actually acting as a barrier to competition and innovation while pretending that's all they cared about.

The only moral competition and innovation are my etc.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

zoux posted:

If I have to listen to my father-in-law's girlfriend rail about how UBER IS THE SHININ' STAR OF THE FREE MARKET :downs: one more time, I'm going to loving puke.

Mere mention of the word Uber (my wife and I use it on occasion, as does her company) is a trigger for a diarrheal treatise on 'free morkets!'

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
New Book on the Presidency of George W. Bush is out.

quote:

To put salt in the family wounds, now comes Bush, Jean Edward Smith’s biography of George W. Bush, the 43rd president – and, of course, son of the 41st. Smith wrote "George Bush's War," a book critical of the elder Bush’s Gulf War and, in “Bush,” paints a devastating portrait of George W. Bush.

From excessive hubris fed by his Evangelical Christianity (“sanctimonious religiosity,” Smith writes) to a surfeit of unquestioning aides in and around his White House, Bush emerges in Smith’s account as an unprepared, stubborn, and feckless commander-in-chief. Rather than relying on polemics, Smith makes his case with straightforward, block-by-block assemblages of facts, policy results, and telling anecdotes.

Who wants to start a USPol book club?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

No, zoux! You're the Pepsi to Joementum's obviously superior but not always available Coca-Cola.

Does that make me Tab then?

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/740647094579531776

axeil posted:

This guy.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

double post woops

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 8, 2016

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

So only the already wealthy can afford to work for them? How is this a good thing?
Holy poo poo, I work at the local aviary 3 hours a week and they don't pay me for it! My position is referred to as a "volunteer." I didn't know I was wealthy!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
99% of all Hillary Clintons own a refrigerator

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Not all that impressive actually. Hillary +5% just nabs Arizona, Missouri and Georgia.

As someone who lives in Arizona, it'd be a big deal to us.

Right now we're the Koch Brothers' private laboratory of democracy, and we're going to see what happens when you eliminate public education.

If Hillary boosts downticket races, and Trump suppresses Republican races, we might see a real shift.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Shageletic posted:

Does that make me Tab then?

Aww gently caress, does that means I'm RC Cola?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

As someone who lives in Arizona, it'd be a big deal to us.

Right now we're the Koch Brothers' private laboratory of democracy, and we're going to see what happens when you eliminate public education.

I thought that was Kansas. Or Oklahoma.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Trabisnikof posted:

Saggy pants are illegal in a number of cities for totally not racist reasons

Haven't all of those ordinances been struck down as simply illegal if not unconstitutional since your outfit can be a means of expression and thus a city-wide dress code would be a 1A violation?

Trabisnikof posted:

What can she do that will expand union membership?

Make the NLRB not be a 3-3 100% worthless split that never gets anything done (or is that the FEC?). Union dues being tax deductible and maybe give a tax break to companies whose employees unionize?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Hollismason posted:

99% of all Hillary Clintons own a refrigerator

Lizard people don't need refridgerators, silly, they swallow their food live.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Evil Fluffy posted:

Make the NLRB not be a 3-3 100% worthless split that never gets aandnything done (or is that the FEC?). Union dues being tax deductible and maybe give a tax break to companies whose employees unionize?

The problem is, as has been the case since 1789, the Congress

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Boon posted:

The problem is, as has been the case since 1789, the Congress

Speaking of
Paul Ryan Changing Rules to Make Amendments From House Democrats Harder to Pass

quote:

Ryan "is cracking down on Democrats' ability to win floor votes on hotly contested issues such as LGBT rights," the Associated Press reports late Wednesday morning. "The move means Ryan is reneging on a promise to protect the rights of lawmakers to take on a wide range of issue when the House debates annual spending bills."

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cythereal posted:

I thought that was Kansas. Or Oklahoma.

They've disavowed those because they became burning tirefire poo poo heaps that even other tea partiers won't touch they were judged to be insufficiently conservative

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SubponticatePoster posted:

Holy poo poo, I work at the local aviary 3 hours a week and they don't pay me for it! My position is referred to as a "volunteer." I didn't know I was wealthy!

Your ability to volunteer at all makes you rich and privileged compared to many.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

someone is butthurt

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

Haven't all of those ordinances been struck down as simply illegal if not unconstitutional since your outfit can be a means of expression and thus a city-wide dress code would be a 1A violation?

Nope! They've collected thousands in fines using saggy pants laws, usually justifying under public safety grounds.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

fits my needs posted:

Your ability to volunteer at all makes you rich and privileged compared to many.

Idk if we should count moral richness against people.

(Studies looking at volunteer rates amongst lower income Americans might shock you....)

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

They've disavowed those because they became burning tirefire poo poo heaps that even other tea partiers won't touch they were judged to be insufficiently conservative

Nah Kansas is pretty much the personal feifdom of David Koch, Brownback is his hand picked governor and the state agenda is everything the Kochs want when it comes to taxes and regulations

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Holy shitsnacks. If true, then it's pretty much already all over right? And a massive shift like that would have to effect downticket races, no?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

Holy shitsnacks. If true, then it's pretty much already all over right? And a massive shift like that would have to effect downticket races, no?

I've been saying for months that women are going to decide this thing, and they loathe Trump

Work with enough Clinton people and you'll see that there's a lot of women who don't feel like they can safely go against the Republican placeholder candidate in public, but are more than ready to do so at the polls.

IIRC Trump isn't even winning with poor, uneducated white women, which should be his strongest group, but the last poll of that I remember was from pre-coalesce

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Sir Tonk posted:

someone is butthurt

A true and accurate headline. :):

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Make the NLRB not be a 3-3 100% worthless split that never gets anything done (or is that the FEC?). Union dues being tax deductible and maybe give a tax break to companies whose employees unionize?

You're thinking of the FEC. NLRB does have some staffing issues. The FCC is going HAM.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

fits my needs posted:

So does your ability to pay $10 to post on an internet forum, I guess we should both kill ourselves.

Trabisnikof posted:

Idk if we should count moral richness against people.

(Studies looking at volunteer rates amongst lower income Americans might shock you....)
Volunteering is awesome and a good way for people who maybe can't afford to donate money to contribute something they find worthwhile. And even sometimes volunteering can be better than money; when there's a disaster it's great that people donate money to the Red Cross, but somebody still has to be there to hand out the relief.

In my case the owls will still get fed if I don't show up, but while I'm doing that a paid person can be doing something I'm not qualified or allowed to do. At our aviary they have 2 pairs of birds that are extinct in the wild and they are managing them until such a time that they can be reintroduced. That's pretty cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Where’s the Bleep Button Again? C-SPAN Airs Trump Voter’s Expletive Live on Air

quote:

"I don't support Bernie Sanders."

... "I've always been a Democrat until this year I changed, I am going to vote republican."

"Why would the black people vote for her?” she asked. “[Bill] had the drugs brought in so that she could– so that he could keep them under control."

Dementia and Alzheimer's is a bitch. :(

• Locked thread