Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
OKAY I'VE GOT MY ANSWER STOP MESSAGING ME YOU GOOBERS

Seriously though, thanks to everyone who helped out. We're not going to be voting on <<SECRET THING>> since there's literally no reason to turn it down... but we will be voting on skill training! Here's the rules:

• e: gently caress it just suggest whatever, the worst that'll happen is I'll ignore it

With that in mind, here's the list!

• HP UP - 10 HP/skill level
  • Strength Up - 5 Str/skill level
  • Agility Up - 5 Agi/skill level
  • Magic Up - 5 Mag/skill level
  • Energy Control - 1 Energy/skill level
  • Defense Training - 5 Def/skill level
  • Weapon Training - +2 Damage to melee and physical skills per level
  • Advanced Weapon Training - +3 damage per level but requires 10 levels of Weapon Training (:stare:)
  • Parry - +2.5 chance to block per level
  • Arcane Defense - +3 Arcane Resistance/skill level
  • Divine Defense - +3 Divine Resistance/skill level
  • Fire Defense - +3 Fire Resistance/skill level
  • Ice Defense - +3 Ice Resistance/skill level

Get to it! Voting will end, I dunno, whenever. It's not like this thing is on a schedule to start with.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I'm mildly curious how many messages you got.

I'm a little confused about the whole "one skill per character". It wouldn't be a bad idea to give some basic training (since it costs WAY less) in multiple skills.

Anyways, you generally want the ghost to go first so your teammates can take advantage of the buffs they get so Give the ghost some agility training

Also, you didn't find either of the items that I hoped you would find. That makes me sad :saddowns:

mauman fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 6, 2016

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Sorcerer - Magic
Minotaur - Strength
Vampire - Energy control
Ghost - Energy control
Witch - Energy control
Abomination - Energy control
Edit for Killer Puppet - Energy control

I dunno I think putting more skills out there would be best. Is it solely capacity, or is there a energy regen component to the training as well?

vorebane fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 6, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Sorcerer - Energy control
Minotaur - Energy control
Vampire - Energy control
Ghost - Energy control
Witch - Energy control
Abomination - Energy control
Puppet - Energy control

Energy is your life blood and you want as much of it as possible. More spells to sling, more skills to use, less turns wasted on Focus.
Agility is only useful to a point, Magic and strength are good but can wait, ditto with weapon training. I have never seen the point of magic defense. Like, ever.

vorebane posted:

I dunno I think putting more skills out there would be best. Is it solely capacity, or is there a energy regen component to the training as well?

The game uses the words "skills" really liberally, but these are essentially permanent status ups. You cannot increase your energy regen AFAIK, but Energy Control increases your max capacity.
These are really loving weird because not all of these status-up are created equal. As I mentioned, magic rarely comes up in this game and you should usually be able to take care of mages quickly. I can thing of only two boss fights where these might be good, and I emphasize the word "might".
The defense up would be nice, but +5 up to a total of +50 is asking for a lot due to how many gems you'll need.
STR, MAG and HP are solid investments though.
Weapon training is basically extra damage to your dice roll. So if your skeleton has 5 weapon training, and hits in battle for 100, it'll add 5*2=10 more dmg for a total of 110. It's actually possible, but infeasible, for Witch to do good defense chipping if you invest in this, but prepare to grind like a motherfucker.

quote:

...really? Wow. I have never seen this happen. Does debuff application depend on MAG or something?

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 6, 2016

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SSNeoman posted:

...really? Wow. I have never seen this happen.

People say this a lot during my LPs for some reason. :twisted: Anyway I'd assume so. Willow's magic rating isn't anything to sneeze at—especially with the Forsaken Staff or whatever she has equipped—but Berias does not gently caress around with his hexes.

OTOH there are some skills that just don't work on some bosses. Since his Shade doesn't have corporeal form anymore, he may be preprogrammed to ignore anything involving physical debuffs. I have really have zero idea, but that's not gonna stop me from speculating!

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Since I'm starting up another play-through anyway with a different group of characters do you want me to give Berias a go to see if his Shade is resistant to physical debuffs? Can't guaranty how scientific a test it'll be but i can spend a few rounds thwacking away at him and see if any of them actually stick.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Just stack literally everything on Sorcerer, because, what, you're actually going to value the other party members? What kind of group is this anyway?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Just stack literally everything on Sorcerer, because, what, you're actually going to value the other party members? What kind of group is this anyway?

The price gets really absurd really fast. It's typically better to spread out low level stuff among every one before deciding who's going to focus on what.

I also think that your attribute ratings (strength, magic, agility) eventually cap out. But i could be wrong.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

OKAY I'VE GOT MY ANSWER STOP MESSAGING ME YOU GOOBERS

Seriously though, thanks to everyone who helped out. We're not going to be voting on <<SECRET THING>> since there's literally no reason to turn it down... but we will be voting on skill training! Here's the rules:

Get to it! Voting will end, I dunno, whenever. It's not like this thing is on a schedule to start with.

Give some defense to the ghost. It works really well with his passive, and he really needs it.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I've got no idea what to vote for so I'm just going to agree with everyone on this page. :v:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

How about whatever Chokes thinks is the best layout because I really don't know any better. Is that a valid choice?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Energy all day erry day

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
vampire get swole (strength)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dr. Snark posted:

How about whatever Chokes thinks is the best layout because I really don't know any better. Is that a valid choice?

Hahahahaha you think I know what the hell I'm doing

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Energy training for everyone, the ability to get out more attacks before needing to focus is a godsend, Defense up for Witch and Ghost, Magic up for Witch and Sorcerer in that order, so the Witch's less likely to go down when you really need her to heal - and Ziggy's kind of squishy, and magic up will make their DoT attacks hit harder.

If you got money left weapon training for the melee fighters.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like the completely different second form. Really switches things up nicely.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Chokes McGee posted:

By this state of mind: whatever build Chokes thinks is best because we can't gently caress him up any worse than he can gently caress himself up :getin:

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Energy Control and Agility for everyone.

Max energy control now, agility for later.

Unless random encounters don't get as stupid on normal.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Chokes McGee posted:

I mean

You made it through 4 blocks so far so you've got some idea what you're doing

Well that and you've been crazy lucky

That also helps

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dr. Snark posted:

I mean

You made it through 4 blocks so far so you've got some idea what you're doing

Well that and you've been crazy lucky

That also helps

You've Been Crazy Lucky: The Chokes McGee LP Story

the title also doubles as irony

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

He's certainly getting luckier than I am with the drops. I swear my game is just taunting me - it's been nothing but warhammers and greatswords in my werewolf/skeleton/imp run for the most part. I'm also having a hard time getting Scorch to stick on anything, whether that's a boss or a common enemy, and whether i do damage with it or not.

Interestingly enough, I'm not sure either the Skeleton or the Werewolf get a +energy skill for combat, or at least I haven't noticed it so far. But the werewolf does get an AoE that it can use every round so there is that. The Imp's kinda pulling its own weight at least - almost completely useless up until "oh hey Sleep".

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
You may complain about Chokes' luck, but at least you haven't been put in personal mortal peril by playing the game. It all balances out, you see.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You may complain about Chokes' luck, but at least you haven't been put in personal mortal peril by playing the game. It all balances out, you see.

All his luck is actively drained from his daily life into the game. Which is why he's hit so hard by the LP curse.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Obligatum VII posted:

All his luck is actively drained from his daily life into the game. Which is why he's hit so hard by the LP curse.

I don't think anything will top Broken Loose having his house cave in.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Silegna posted:

I think Chokes actually had that happen, too. To say nothing of the chimneywasps.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Silegna posted:

Or The Dark Id literally getting blown up.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Chokes McGee posted:

Or The Dark Id literally getting blown up.

Woah, what? I must have missed that.
When did THAT happen?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Silegna posted:

Woah, what? I must have missed that.
When did THAT happen?

Sometime during Drakengard 3, because of course it did.

I don't remember the details (because I think he was intentionally light on them) so you'll have to ask around. I definitely know it happened, though.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Intermezzo IV: Offer Void Where Prohibited

I wonder where that came from?

WHAT UP

Ah.

I guess Berias truly was raised by witches, to be able to pull off a trick like that. You did well to defeat him Sorceror. I can feel a power in you now that wasn't there when we first met.

Heh. Just a matter of time now.

Keep telling yourself that, champ.

Are you making GBS threads me

You had to know we would draw their attention at some point.

So is the Librum, like, splitting down the middle as we break bindings? Shouldn't someone have noticed before now?

Remember what I said about the king?

Well, at least we can finally agree on something.

So what are those four assheads up to, anyway?

They've split up to guard the remaining bindings.

Because ooh la la~ ;-*

You will sell me your finest gear or I will reduce you to ash in the wind

And off he goes...

That was pretty sneaky, mentioning Ricerche. It's gonna drive him bonkers.

Believe me. I know.

Seriously, you are just the best. :allears:

MRGG?

That's right I said all of it

Woah, hey now, chief. Simmer down. We gotta be smart with our money.

I'm not exactly hearing any suggestions from you three.

You never asked!

Then why the hell should I start now?

Just follow me, okay? And take a few deep breaths or somethin'.

Urge... to kill... rising

See? Training'll last way longer than some dinky weapons.

Quick! Make us suck less!

Straight and to the point. I like it.

We have a poo poo ton of gems right now, so I polled The Goons™ for suggestions on training. If you can imagine the word ENERGY in 140 point font, that was essentially the response. And they're not wrong! If you remember, Energy Control boosts your max Energy by 1 per level, which is incredibly important in this game. The fewer times you have to take a Focus break, the more skills you can get in. We buy two levels of it for everyone, including our bench players.

Beyond that, we have enough gems to train everybody in 2 levels of a stat boost, so I distributed them as follows. A few of these might not make sense, but I have my reasons. The investment may or may not bear fruit as the game goes on. We shall see!

• Sorceror: +2 Weapons Damage
  • Vlad: +20 HP
  • Willow: Lvl 3 Energy Control
  • Frank: +3 Parry
  • Ziggy: +10 Agility
  • Raging Bull: +10 Strength
  • Killer Puppet: +5 Strength, +5 Defense

You'll note the Puppet got kind of a mishmash. This is probably the best bang for your buck on stat boosts, as +5 across the board is about 800 gems and allows you to try out other parts without crippling its stats. He's still not going to match our big bomb throwers like Vlad and Bull, but he definitely has his uses. Especially after the Sorceror makes a few sliiiiight adjustments...

Hey, guys! What's up?

...so I said to myself, you know what our godless wooden horror needed?

Giant razor blades for arms!

Nope nope nope nope

Where's he going?

Beats me. I know where we're going, though!

Got a gift for you...

YOU'LL BE SORRRrryyyyyyyyy

Huh. What was that about?

He was blabbering on about how you wanted to get the whole book in your dungeon. Or something. I dunno, I didn't really pay attention.

Well, he's not wrong.

Seriously?

...yes? I'm Death. One way or another, everybody ends up in my dungeon. All I have to do is wait.

Not everybody.

You and Vlad will get what's coming to you one of these days.

Did you know we have a ghost in our party now?

What the—you're actively taking away souls! Stop it! Stop doing that!

Nah.

:tizzy:

Here we are again in the catacombs! I'm afraid there's not many changes between the different floors. The layout for each floor stays the same, though I think the treasure chest re-seeds every time you enter. If you need to get better gear, you can jump in here, break open the chest, then port out using the Recall Stone and repeat as necessary. You're still subject to random encounters, but it cuts down on the time you'll spend. Honestly, though, random encounters are a much better way of catching up on loot. Drop rate is much higher down here, and you'll occasionally end up with some pretty sweet weapons. Plus, you're levelling up while you do it! Grinding sucks and I hate it, but the game's unbalanced when it comes to inventory, and on some playthroughs you just to have to suck it up and get in there.

Stand fast, friends! We are beyond death—we have nothing more to fear!

Oh man, you guys could not possibly be more wrong.

...does that thing have razor blades for arms?

Sure does!

MY PRECIOUS FEMORAL ARTERY

Razor blade arms—besides being terrifying nightmare inducers—give the Killer Puppet access to some of the Troll's skills. We haven't seen the Troll yet, but he serves as the party's assassin. He's the glass cannon of our summons, but once he's levelled up, look the gently caress out. The puppet's skillset is more restrained, but it comes with an extra bonus: his skills and weapons don't depend on Agility nearly as much as the Troll's. Sub in some reinforced/strong gear, and you've got yourself a pretty good fighter in spite of the lower tier equipment. Plus, his damage spread is way less than with the guillotine arms!

With that being said, the major attraction of the razor blade arm is Bloodbath. It'll inflict Bleeding on an enemy, which is one of the nastier DoTs in the game. For those of you keeping score, we can have the following DoTs active on any single opponent at the same time:

• Bleeding
  • Scorch
  • Witchfire
  • Poison

I'm seriously drawing a blank on any other types of DoTs. There may be one for Arcane damage, but I haven't seen it yet. Regardless, this party has a ton of different ways to do HP damage with very little effort. Plus, they have Frank for backup! This is extra good because both Willow and the Puppet are kind of squishy. Less so for Willow due to her armor, but she seems to draw more fire than anyone else. Confirmation bias or intelligent enemy AI? You decide.

In other news, I'm warming up to Ward of Spring (:haw:). One thing I hadn't considered is that really hard shots can still get through even the most ridiculous Defense. Slapping Regenerate on your guys saves wasted actions healing one person at a time—assuming you keep your defense up and status ailments off. With Frank and Willow here, there's no reason we can't.

Speaking of which...

Frank says gently caress your Flare spells :colbert:

After the mage goes down, we mop up the rest without a lot of fanfare. Not a lot to point out other than the Puppet's need to crack opponents' armor before he can really unload. Because of his poor gear, he doesn't have the necessary brute force to go over the top of people's Defense.

On the other hand, once their armor's gone, you can really gently caress up their day.

*yawn*

Maybe that stupid zombie'll give us a good price on it?

We might want to think about something else to do with it.

Like what?

I dunno. Donate it to charity?

Hahahahahahahahaha

That was a pretty good one!

ha ha

...?!

...hmm...

Shh. You hear that?

...and I'm as suprised as you are, all things considered.

Yeah. "Bleak grey dungeon" wasn't on the list of options the church gave us.

Cheer up, guys! It could be worse!

See?

blargh

Brief interruption in the narrative to remind you that bloodbath is great :allears:

You know, it's extra satisfying beating the clerics up.

Yeah?

They find out you're a witch and it's all like, "Accursed pagan temptress!" And then they chase you out of their church with warhammers because apparently setting fire to their altars with dark magic is frowned upon. :rolleyes:

Sheesh. Some people.

Call me donuts because I'm dunkin' all over you

...shut up. It was a good line.

Whatever you say, Donuts.

:mad:

Various atrocities against nature later...

So are you chocolate glaze or blueberry?

loving hells let it go already

Nope.

And we're never going to.

That's not the usual sparkly cloud thing.

God dammit! There's usually a ley line down here! How am I supposed to get powerful enough to conquer the world with this?

I can hear you, you know.

Trust me, that's not "the living."

Shut up, Willow. Okay, Shiny Ball Guy, I'm listening.

I am the soul of a living weapon, Masa. A sleek and elegant instrument with a single well defined purpose.

I like where this is going.

My two brothers and I have been separated from our bodies and discarded here. Help me find my brothers, as well as new bodies for us to inhabit, and we will serve you for a period not to exceed five years.

That's... pretty specific.

Let's just say this isn't my first rodeo.

Uh... what do you mean, bodies? Like, are talking possession, or consumption, or...?

Oh, nothing so gruesome as you make it sound.

Oh, what kind?

Given how powerful we are, we require rather high-quality material for our bodies. Otherwise we easily break it when channeling our energy through it, which is rather undesirable in most battles.

...oh no you don't. I'm not falling for this.

What?

Take a look around. I'm clearly the only high quality material in these parts.

...you have my word that you're safe.

Oh. Well, in that case, it might take awhile to find something like that...

Surely you wouldn't abandon me to do this on my own, if you would only benefit from the completion of this endeavor?

(Note: There's a response to this that reads, "Go twist in the wind." It's the most Sorceror answer on the list, but we need this quest, so we sadly do not pick it.)

(You're right. It's win win, what've I got to lose?)

You've got my attention. I'll have to check with legal first, though.

You're good to go.

Great news, legal finally got back to us! Looks like we have a deal. Sign here, here, and here.

I'm drawing a line through this part about doing your laundry, though.

Aw.

Do we have an accord?

Sure do. And now, to seal the pact.

*spits in palm*

*shakes with tentacle*

It is done.

Necromancy looks stupider and stupider every time I see it.

Shut it, treehugger.

Whatever you say, Donuts!

God dammit

Hey, we're taking this Masa guy with us. Hope you don't mind.

You're taking souls out of the dungeon now? That's not what you're supposed to be doing! That's the complete opposite!

Since you're not paying us, I don't see why we should care.

And now you know what it's like to be me.

Still no sign of Vlad...

Fine. We'll do this the hard way. *MAGIC*

*bamf* ...do I have to?

Yes. You have to.

:(

Let's just head to the next cell block. We can work out who's in the party afterwards.

Sounds good to me. Let's get g—

*squish*

Oh gross.

CTHULHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU :argh:

quote:

:hf:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Chokes McGee posted:

You know, it's extra satisfying beating the clerics up.

Yeah?

They find out you're a witch and it's all like, "Accursed pagan temptress!" And then they chase you out of their church with warhammers because apparently setting fire to their altars with dark magic is frowned upon. :rolleyes:

Sheesh. Some people.

You've got my attention. I'll have to check with legal first, though.

You're good to go.

Great news, legal finally got back to us!

We are just the best bad guys ever. :allears:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Man, now I want donuts.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Willow is becoming the Sorceror Mk2 and it's going to be glorious.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

The game is cool and all--and the LP is great--but sometimes I just want to beat up the game's script with a red pen and a trunk full of punctuation marks. Argh. :v:

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The Imp supposedly gets an arcane DOT if his sample skills in the party select are to be believed.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Picayune posted:

The game is cool and all--and the LP is great--but sometimes I just want to beat up the game's script with a red pen and a trunk full of punctuation marks. Argh. :v:

That's how you know they're evil.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Seyser Koze posted:

That's how you know they're evil.

we don't need no education

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

we don't need no education

Sarcasm, sure, great thing

Thought control, now that's a delicious idea. Now...

Cluck

And if Chokes wants to throw bad money after good.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Bad news, guys. I, uh, think I kinda broke the game :v:

We got a couple of big ticket drops in the last few floors I played through. We're going to see how it goes with Ricerche—I mean, bosses usually have a way of bringing you back down to Earth—but we just rampaged through the next three floors in the cell block without breaking a sweat and I'm concerned the game's not going to catch up.

Empty quote this in about two cell blocks when I'm begging for mercy.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Perhaps the game knows you're LPing it, and thus showing off it's good side to convince more people to buy the game - then it will reveal its true colors to them and deal with them horrifically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
My reaction was more "Um, is your family OK :ohdear:" but seem to have gotten traumatized fast.

• Locked thread