Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

gently caress it, let's go full 360 on this fucker and bake it. If it'll last me until that 480 comes out, I'll be pleased. And if I gently caress it up, I guess I'll get a learning experience about the power of the Intel HD Graphics 2500, which should at least let me do web browsing.

I'm pretty confident in ruling out the display connectors because those lovely pixels show up on screenshots and on both my monitors.

A logistics question: I'm pretty comfortable around installing CPUs and their HSF, are there notable differences to that process for GPU? I've never taken the cooling off of one of those before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Newegg had the EVGA SC (08G-P4-6183-KR) at $650 available for about 10 minutes. Managed to snag one, whoo.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Geemer posted:

gently caress it, let's go full 360 on this fucker and bake it. If it'll last me until that 480 comes out, I'll be pleased. And if I gently caress it up, I guess I'll get a learning experience about the power of the Intel HD Graphics 2500, which should at least let me do web browsing.

I'm pretty confident in ruling out the display connectors because those lovely pixels show up on screenshots and on both my monitors.

A logistics question: I'm pretty comfortable around installing CPUs and their HSF, are there notable differences to that process for GPU? I've never taken the cooling off of one of those before.

There are little sticky thermal pads for the VRMs, when you take the main heatsink off, try to stick them to it as they would be arranged on the video card.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What's the estimated wait for the "good" 1070 cards at this point? My understanding is that the Founder's Edition comes out on the 10th, but it's a bad choice because of....

1. Higher MSRP
2. Scalpers pushing it even higher
3. Bad cooling

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Be aware that the PCB may emit some fumes during baking so I'd clean that oven before putting food in there again. Or just use an oven you don't care about.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Seamonster posted:

Be aware that the PCB may emit some fumes during baking so I'd clean that oven before putting food in there again. Or just use an oven you don't care about.

:staredog:

e:

Bleh Maestro posted:

They actually say never to use the oven again....not that anyone can do that..

:staredog:

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 8, 2016

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Seamonster posted:

I've got a fairly well ventilated oven that I'll just leave on at low temperature to blow out any fumes after I'm done. Of course all this poo poo happens when I'm between jobs and don't have access to laboratory ovens that are far more suitable for this kind of stuff. If it wasn't a secure site, I'd just drop by to chum with old colleagues and bake the card there.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So don't use a frying pan?

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
They actually say never to use the oven again....not that anyone can do that..

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Don't worry about it, as long as you're not regularly using the same oven for reflowing solder and cooking food you'll be fine. There are very strict regulations preventing the use of toxic substances in electronics, lead-free solder has been required for a decade for example.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

maybe use a toaster oven? i assume a video card would fit

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What's the estimated wait for the "good" 1070 cards at this point? My understanding is that the Founder's Edition comes out on the 10th, but it's a bad choice because of....

1. Higher MSRP
3. Bad cooling

Nobody knows. Anybody who says so is just guessing.

The "good" 1080s are apparently coming in the next week, which is about 3-4 weeks after the founders edition came out.
Some people are using that as a guideline, but nobody knows if the stock situation on the 1070 will be better or worse.
(Signs pointing to better: It uses regular GDDR5 memory which is not difficult to come by, as opposed to the 1080's GDDR5X which is new.
Signs pointing to worse: It's cheaper and there seems to be a great deal of pent up demand for it.)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I'd definitely do a dusting and new thermal paste first, then maybe check display cables - couldn't hurt and only takes a few minutes to do each of them before assuming the card is completely hosed. I'm the type that'll exhaust every method first though, just how my brain is wired after dealing with terrible RMA service where I've been sent back the same broken stuff I sent in with their claim of "no problems detected".

If his chip is showing 75C under load it's not overheating, the chips are hosed. Maybe underclocking fixes it, maybe solder reflow fixes it, but thermal paste isn't going to do squat.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Instructions unclear, using crockpot.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

macnbc posted:

Nobody knows. Anybody who says so is just guessing.

The "good" 1080s are apparently coming in the next week, which is about 3-4 weeks after the founders edition came out.
Some people are using that as a guideline, but nobody knows if the stock situation on the 1070 will be better or worse.
(Signs pointing to better: It uses regular GDDR5 memory which is not difficult to come by, as opposed to the 1080's GDDR5X which is new.
Signs pointing to worse: It's cheaper and there seems to be a great deal of pent up demand for it.)

Much appreciated! Will keep my fingers crossed.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

1. Higher MSRP
3. Bad cooling

I'd expect "good" 1070s to hit pretty much as soon as the FE cards do, since it should just be dropping cheaper parts on a 1080 board. And overall supply might be higher if GDDR5X is a bottleneck in 1080 production, since the 1070 uses the standard GDDR5 instead. But yeah, nobody knows for sure.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'd expect "good" 1070s to hit pretty much as soon as the FE cards do, since it should just be dropping cheaper parts on a 1080 board. And overall supply might be higher if GDDR5X is a bottleneck in 1080 production, since the 1070 uses the standard GDDR5 instead. But yeah, nobody knows for sure.

Awesome. I got caught up in a "WAIT - the next gen of ___ is coming out like NEXT week" cycle about 5 months ago, and I'm really anxious to finally order my $1,000 $1,500 $2,000 build.

(New stuff is expensive...)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Awesome. I got caught up in a "WAIT - the next gen of ___ is coming out like NEXT week" cycle about 5 months ago, and I'm really anxious to finally order my $1,000 $1,500 $2,000 build.

(New stuff is expensive...)

Same, I want to join the hallowed ranks of nerds who spend entirely too much on their PCs to end up playing three high-end games a year.

We're the casuals driving demand through the roof.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

computerbase.de review of the Gigabyte 1080 g1:
https://translate.google.com/transl...-gaming-test%2F

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
JayzTwoCents has his video on the MSI Gaming X 8G GTX 1080 up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rHjgnBtxhM

It's disappointing but about what I expected, it's the chip on your card that will limit you much more than power delivery, we will have to wait for heavily binned cards to see the really high overclocks.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

If his chip is showing 75C under load it's not overheating, the chips are hosed. Maybe underclocking fixes it, maybe solder reflow fixes it, but thermal paste isn't going to do squat.

I took a look at Afterburner and it doesn't look like it'll let me do much more than Catalyst Control Center/Crimson's Overdrive lets me do, except for maybe also messing with the voltages, which I feel less comfortable with than the prospect of sticking my GPU into an oven strangely enough.

Both seem to apply to the core and memory clock speeds when the card is active, instead of when it's chilling in idle mode. And the little green artifacts show up while it's idle, not while it's running full blast. When it's running full blast it's split-seconds of garbage graphics filling parts of/the entire screen.

Anyway, baking it will inevitably involve new paste so might as well go whole hog.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Alereon posted:

Don't worry about it, as long as you're not regularly using the same oven for reflowing solder and cooking food you'll be fine. There are very strict regulations preventing the use of toxic substances in electronics, lead-free solder has been required for a decade for example.

And this is pretty much exactly what caused all the lovely electronics issues of 2005 - 2009~ish. Removal of Lead in the solder made the replacement crap brittle after a bunch of heat cycles which lead to the RLOD/YLOD and all the GPU and even Auto ECU deaths over those years.

Overall, while less toxic may be good, when the EPA gets involved for nearly any reason, everything they touch gets really lovely for a while, and if it can be improved, it does eventually, and cost more to boot. :/

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

NoDamage posted:

I did a bit more research and it looks like at least EVGA and MSI are making non-Founders Edition blowers, so I'll probably wait until those come out and pick one of them up. Those are the only two models I've found so far though.
Welp, I randomly noticed Frys.com had the Gigabyte 1080 Founder's Edition in stock yesterday, and decided to pull the trigger. Ordered yesterday, shipped today, will arrive tomorrow. With all the talk of limited supplies and retailers selling out quickly, I figured who knows how long it would take to actually find an aftermarket blower version in stock , so might as well take the opportunity while it was still available. It sold out immediately after I placed my order, so I might have just snagged the last one.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

afkmacro posted:

Are they manufacturing these cards by hand? Why so few units?

Probably because they are manually counting all the jiggabits this time to make sure it's exactly as much as advertised. #neverforget #3.5gb

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

JayzTwoCents has his video on the MSI Gaming X 8G GTX 1080 up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rHjgnBtxhM

It's disappointing but about what I expected, it's the chip on your card that will limit you much more than power delivery, we will have to wait for heavily binned cards to see the really high overclocks.

Welp, this sure made me feel dumb.

e: Also it's going to really suck if Nvidia's $100 lower MSRP for all these cards is basically non-existent in real life.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

wicka posted:

maybe use a toaster oven? i assume a video card would fit

Maybe I'm used to lovely cheap toaster ovens but I wouldn't trust one to have the evenness of temperature throughout to reflow the solder without damaging anything.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bleh Maestro posted:

e: Also it's going to really suck if Nvidia's $100 lower MSRP for all these cards is basically non-existent in real life.

Yeah, that's what I'm starting to think will happen. I'll check on Friday for $380 cards but lol I have zero faith.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

wicka posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm starting to think will happen. I'll check on Friday for $380 cards but lol I have zero faith.

EVGA already announced the prices for their aftermarket 1080s and they are at MSRP for their own blower version, $20 over MSRP for the basic one with an ACX 3.0 cooler, $50 over for the ACX 3.0 SC and $80 over for the fancy FTW version. I do expect to see some gouging but that is on the retailers, not the manufacturers.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

wicka posted:

If they don't get that low the 480 should undercut the poo poo out of them. Heck it's already a significantly better price/performance proposition at $200-240 unless the performance guesses are way off.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

EdEddnEddy posted:

And this is pretty much exactly what caused all the lovely electronics issues of 2005 - 2009~ish. Removal of Lead in the solder made the replacement crap brittle after a bunch of heat cycles which lead to the RLOD/YLOD and all the GPU and even Auto ECU deaths over those years.
I think that's a lot less related to RoHS requirements and more manufacturers cutting corners on thermal management at the same time as power dissipation levels were increasing beyond where they had been in the past. This meant that electronics were running hotter, shortening lifespans. The fix wasn't different solder, it was improving cooling to put devices back into the operating ranges that were typically considered safe. See also the nVidia bump underfill drama, where an entire generation of Geforces were simply missing the layer of material under the chip that provided strain-relief for the solder bumps, causing them to snap and eventually fail. This basically killed ALL laptops from certain year ranges.

Overall, never underestimate the ability of manufacturers to cut corners and then blame anyone but themselves for the resulting problems.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Bleh Maestro posted:

I've seen very close to 599$ even in Germany (615, plus VAT of course) hope you like GALAX/KFA²
Even the other tier 2 brands are 40-50 more

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Alereon posted:

I think that's a lot less related to RoHS requirements and more manufacturers cutting corners on thermal management at the same time as power dissipation levels were increasing beyond where they had been in the past. This meant that electronics were running hotter, shortening lifespans. The fix wasn't different solder, it was improving cooling to put devices back into the operating ranges that were typically considered safe. See also the nVidia bump underfill drama, where an entire generation of Geforces were simply missing the layer of material under the chip that provided strain-relief for the solder bumps, causing them to snap and eventually fail. This basically killed ALL laptops from certain year ranges.

Overall, never underestimate the ability of manufacturers to cut corners and then blame anyone but themselves for the resulting problems.

The wrongness of this post has caused me to write and delete this post three times just trying to write an informative and enlightening post about the lead-free solder switchover, and my time working in semiconductor manufacturing during that time. It proceeds to get angrier and angrier with length, so we'll do this short:

The lead-free solder switchover was a real thing. Solders that purported to be drop-in replacements weren't quite, and needed to be cooked a little hotter to really get melty. In cases where you saw widespread solder failures, it was because they didn't get cooked hot enough.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 8, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

xthetenth posted:

If they don't get that low the 480 should undercut the poo poo out of them. Heck it's already a significantly better price/performance proposition at $200-240 unless the performance guesses are way off.

Yeah, I'm in no rush, if I can't get a 1070 at the advertised price then I'll just wait for things to settle down and hope the 480 is what we expect it to be.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The wrongness of this post has caused me to write and delete this post three times just trying to write an informative and enlightening post about the lead-free solder switchover, and my time working in semiconductor manufacturing during that time. It proceeds to get angrier and angrier with length, so we'll do this short:

The lead-free solder switchover was a real thing. Solders that purported to be drop-in replacements weren't quite, and needed to be cooked a little hotter to really get melty. In cases where you saw widespread solder failures, it was because they didn't get cooked hot enough.
Oh sure the switchover was real and it required engineering expertise to successfully transition, but hardware didn't get less reliable because manufacturers had to stop using leaded solder. It got less reliable because they decided to stop investing in engineering and quality control, and the lead-free solder requirement was an extremely convenient scapegoat.

doughboy1013
Apr 4, 2011
Dumb question, checking my crazy. Have an MSI 970 sitting in a box from the Microcenter fire sale a few weeks back, $250 before rebate.

I have no reason to hold on to this if the RX 480 8GB is projected to sit around $240 MSRP, right?

1080p, btw. Not quite ready for the Ultrawide 34"... yet.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lead-free solder sucks and can gently caress right off.

Regarding the 1070, is it also going to launch as an overpriced founder's edition first? What are the normal ones supposed to cost?

trojan_male
Oct 20, 2008
Just snagged the EVGA 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0. Feels good to finally make the order but I also feel ashamed for the amount of overkill this will be for my current monitor.

Edit: Only to find out mere minutes after this post that they cancelled my order due to no stock... rofl.

trojan_male fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 9, 2016

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Lead-free solder sucks and can gently caress right off.

Regarding the 1070, is it also going to launch as an overpriced founder's edition first? What are the normal ones supposed to cost?

No one knows, and $380~. Expect around $400 for basic stuff based on the 1080 launch though.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I'd definitely do a dusting and new thermal paste first, then maybe check display cables - couldn't hurt and only takes a few minutes to do each of them before assuming the card is completely hosed. I'm the type that'll exhaust every method first though, just how my brain is wired after dealing with terrible RMA service where I've been sent back the same broken stuff I sent in with their claim of "no problems detected".
I always try to troubleshoot everything before sending anything in for RMA but I guess I've been lucky with warranty support so far. Sending the 290 into MSI for service took a little longer than expected the other week but ended up getting a (as far as I can tell, new) 390 for an exchange was pretty good. Runs cooler and quieter than the 290 anyways. About $200 with shipping well spent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Ugh double-post. Thanks Awful app.